• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am heading up to the area on Friday and I was wondering if the walleyes have moved in to the weedline yet. If not where has the bite been the best ???

See ya at the Drake on friday.

Good info on Island and the slot, sounds like ther's a lot of history up there. It'll be nice when the fish get back to the levels of the old days and there are a few more keepers to be had.

The bite on the Duck has been going pretty good, Mike is out on the lake right now checking out some different spots, so we'll give you some starting spots when you get here. FYI~Some of the bait shops are running low on leeches, so if you want to grab some on your way up just in case....

Drake,

Any word on the Grouse hunting in the area right now? My brother and I are considering a trip your way in a couple weeks.

Had one guy up yesterday and he took home three. This weekend the guys were up ended up bow hunting for deer, so not much for grouse reports so far. The other half is hoping to head out for awhile this afternoon or tomorrow to see what he can find. Leaves are starting to change and just starting to fall.

• 2 months later...

Checked Blackduck and a few lakes on Monday..all were open and waves lapping in the shore; went back out Tuesday, Blackduck had ice forming at the access going about 3-400' out, smaller, more protected lakes had a skim coat of ice covering 50-85% of the lake (depending on which ones). Went over to Blackduck this morning and at the access (eastside), it was open again (except in the little bay, ice was still there) and the waves were rollin into the shore and the thin ice sheets were on the shoreline. I didn't head over to the west side of the lake or go back to the smaller lakes this morning, going to give it another day. Temps are high teens today, lows around 10. This weekend and into next week, highs are in the teens and lows in the single digits (Wednesday was showing 0)..Finally!!, so it won't be long now!

I'm coming over and my buddy is coming up from TC on 12-18 for ice fishing a small 200 acre lake 45 ft deep...If you were a betting man do you think we will be ok to fish?

That's 15 days away, so hard to tell how much ice we will have by then..temps are looking good, now to keep the winds down and no heavy snows. Smaller lakes and more protected lakes freeze up a lil sooner than the larger bodies of water, plus it depends on what your mode of travel is going to be, foot, fourwheeler, vehicle. Best advice is to check as it get closer.

Remember, the DNR recommeneded minimum ice thickness guideline (for clear solid ice) is:

4" of clear ice for foot travel

5" minimum for snowmobiles and ATV's

8-12" for cars and Small trucks.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING as 100% safe ice.

Walking in the shallows of a very small lake north of Bemidji today smaller lakes should be touch and go next week. The temps look decent if winds stay down. If it holds me you will need to be rather large to be in danger.

P.S. How do I get this dopy "Hello I'm New" off my name I have been on this site for a few years. Just not always chatty.

Good to hear someone was on the ice! Im jealous! Gonna try to get on around Aitken this weekend.

PS you gotta get a few more posts for that to go away;)

Drove back over to Blackduck this afternoon..Monday ice about 3-400'; Thursday wide open and waves rolling into the shore; this afternoon (Friday) frozen over! Temps today 12 (windchill below zero), tonight lows single digits; 7 day extended highs in teens; lows single digits with a couple negative numbers showing up. Tonight 5-10 mph winds, tomorrow showing light winds..good!!

In the Blackduck area, the lakes are all frozen over. No one is on the ice to fish, just out measuring the ice. The ice measurement is averaging 2" as of this morning. Now if the winds continue to stay down and with the predicted temps (now through the weekend highs range from zero to 8; lows -5 to -10) we should see ice fishermen on the lakes.

This weekend kicked off the ice fishing season, had several folks up hitting numerous lakes in the area. The lakes in the area are on average measuring 6-8" of ice, some spots folks were finding around 4", so still need to take it careful out there. Friday the fishing was slower for those who managed to hit the ice when they got up here, but yesterday, the bite improved quite a bit and there were several fish fry's going on. Now with the cold temps continuing throughout the week, and below zero temps for lows the next three nights, we are well on our way to getting back to normal ice levels for this time of year!

Thanks for the report Drake, what are the odds for driving on the Blackduck/Northhome lakes after Christmas?

Hey Tip Up, the odds on driving after Christmas are looking pretty good. There were some vehicles out on some of the lakes this weekend, but still a little early in our opinion..there was 10 3/4" that measured on Blackduck on Friday. On average the rest of the lakes are running in the 10-12" range. Our upcoming temps are looking pretty good for boosting the ice: Monday through Thursday highs in the low 20's; lows 8 to 12; weekend outlook, highs low teens; lows zero to about 5.

Can someone please post a report on snow depth, lake access, ice thickness, and the fish bite on Blackduck Lake? A group of us is heading up there next weekend. Thanks.

Roscoe16

Well as soon as we recover from the 18 inches of snow that we have been hit with the reports should be comming in. The ice thickness last weekend was around 11 inches, and have not been to the lake to check. The fishing was slow before the big storm and I would imagine this weather will have some damage to the bite and ice. My biggest worry is all the heavy snow on the ice and flooding again this year. Last year was not fun with all the slush on the duck and the snow covered slush pockets. Heading across the lake with the wheeler and house in pull with the kids on the wheeler and what do you know there is a huge slush pocket and we are stuck. What a nightmare it was. Since we got this snow and it is HEAVY I will be taking the wheeler out first to where I plan to fish to scout the trail and ice conditions before I even drag the portable or perm out to the spot. Just be careful and do some scouting before you set up camp! Good luck and keep us posted on how you do. If I get any other reports, I will post them. I have a couple friends heading out there soon.

Woodman are you serious 18 inches of the fresh stuff? I thought up there you guys were suppose to get only half a foot or so according to the weather terrorists in the cities? Fishing isn't gonna be much fun for the next week or 2...feel sorry for the guys that put permys out already!

Hello-

Hopefully everybody had a great christmas. We are heading up to the cabin for new years eve weekend and wanted to see if there were any panfish reports to speak of? Is it tough to get on the lakes with the snow? How much ice is there and how much snow fell?

Thanks to all in advance!!

my dad lives in northome and took a pic on his deck of 18 inches. That is why my house is in the yard. No matter how hard I fish or what time I can not catch a fish! O'well heading out today to Bemidji to check the ice and snow conditions. Talked to a CO today at Cameron Landing and he said 14 inches and there was no way he was driving his truck out there, he was going to use a sled.

Just talked to a couple of folks that were on Blackduck, pretty consitant 10" of snow cover on the ice. Someone has opened up the access with a plow, but there is some drifts out there. There are a couple of places on Blackduck Lake that are doing pay accesses with plowed roads. There are trucks out on the ice, but personally haven't had the chance to hit the lake and do ice measurements, right before the snowfall it was running 12", but there were some pockets running 10-11", so would feel more comfortable on a sled unless I went out of a plowed road and checked with them on how thick the ice is where they plowed.

Thanks for the info Drake and Woodman. We leave New Years Day so any updated info before then would be greatly appreciated.

Roscoe16

Talked to some guys today that were fishing the duck and they said that it was cloudy and the fishing was tough. The bite will pick up when the water clears up but until then the bite will be spotty. I know a guy who is spearig out there but no report due to a death in his family and no time to get out. I will report when I get then also!

Just talked to some folks who just got off the Duck; said they were measuring 14" of ice. Fishing was slower but they think it's because of the pressure changing and the cold front coming in. Said the underwater camera was showing plenty of perch as well as some big sunfish and some crappies, they would go check out the bait but not take it so just a few perch.

just got back. roughly 12" of snow. a few trucks driving around. fishing was okay couldn't find the sunnies but some slabs came home with us. about 24" of ice.