• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Found 7-8" over 32' of water tonight. We only fished for a hair over an hour and iced 4 nice keeper 'eyes and a couple of debatable perch. With the noise heard out tonight, I would say our ice-making is going VERY well. A couple more days/evenings like this and I'll be wheeling the house out with the ATV!

Let it begin!!

Went out yesterday on a small local lake and had 8+, when I walked off there was water on top of the ice where I had walked. 10 miles away a they only had 2 inches of ice.

Still finding 7-9" on most of the smaller panfish lakes, and 10-12" on Lake Bemidji now. Got the rental hut on the ice the other day, will get it planted and warm tomorrow... Might even get to take the wife and kids out for a Christmas outing!

Just because there are trucks driving around on Bemidji, it doesn't mean that it's safe.... be smart out there, folks!

Found consistant 8 inches out of Northwoods, and 12 inches out of cameron today with the wheeler! Please check the ice before you drive out with a big truck! Saw lots of big trucks on the ice today and some on 8 inches! Be safe, NO FISH is worth your life or a truck!

My rental shack has 13.5 inches under it, but I have a crack not far away. Drilled quite a few holes last night and found nothing less than 12" anywhere. We caught a bit of everything, perch to start, some nice walleyes (one big heartbreaker lost), a big school of active tullies, and salamanders... That full moon was incredible!

full-1826-28256-2222.jpg

Love to see those pout!!!

Was doing ok the few days I had my house on Bemidji - was sitting on the base of a typical shoreline break in 30 f.o.w. Was able to manage a handful of perch and a couple of eyes each outing. Biggest eye was 22.5 that was let go to fight another day, and have seen some perch hitting the 12" mark on the ruler as well.

No pout in my house yet - I may have to go out and pound some big nasty spoons out there a few nights this week!

The shack is on Red now for a few more days and then back to Bemidji mid week!

Great job on the pout! Them ol ugly basta***......

Ice is in great shape, and the fishing has been good. Going to do some searching for some big gills tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

One word about the ice conditions from the past few days... SLOPPY! Be careful out there today with the cold and fresh snow. Not everything froze up solid, lots of pockets still holding water under the fresh coat of ice!

Had the first tires on a panfish lake yesterday. Had only taken sleds and wheelers until now... Ice on most lakes is anywhere from 13-19", and there's very little snow cover. We only got about 1-2 inches from last night's storm.

• 2 months later...

Anyone else ready for open water?? I haven't been out for close to a month now. I just can't find the motivation to fight the snow and slush...

At least we should have some decent water levels again once everything melts off!

Yes! Open water can come any day now! This fresh snow we got today isn't helping that's for sure! Wont be long before those long rods are bend!!

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone provide an update on current ice conditions on Bemidji? I was hoping to do a little fishing tomorrow but only have either a 4wd pickup or ATV available to use. Any chance of moving around on the lake with either of those two options?

Thanks in advance

Bemidji still has a decent amount of snow on it. I would assume that it has firmed up some with the last few days of colder weather at night. I would also think you could get around fine in a quad just be smart about it and bring a shovel! I haven't seen a pickup on Bemidji in weeks. Good luck!

I'm way late, but I wouldn't advise anyone take an ATV on the ice right now... The slop and slush could lead to a cardiac I'm afraid.... wink

• 2 months later...

Took the kayak out in my neck of the woods yesterday and caught quite a few dandy gills.... most of them were out in 6-8 fow and they all fell for an impulse tadpole or mini smelt under a float. A little corkin from the kayak...I also got into a few dandy bass.

full-11084-34377-img_20130619_132108.jpg

full-11084-34378-img_20130619_131951.jpg

• 5 months later...

Just saw that a truck went through on Bemidji at the NCGS fb page. Must be something in the water, guys out on two inches in mid November then some dude takes a SUV out after two feet of snow falls. Stay safe people!

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/content/suv-goes-through-ice-lake-bemidji

Assessed Lake Bemidji by sled today after seeing this nonsense. Thickest ice I found was just over 6.5". Not to say that there aren't thicker spots, but we checked in close to shore, where the ice should be thick, and it was identical to a spot over 24' of water. The 1.5" slush pocket on top of that ice makes it look like more, but I assure you, it's not enough... Lots of sagging and slush pockets. Saw several spots where ATV or sleds brave enough to run without looking got piled up with slush. One stretch about 100' long no longer has ANY snow on it thanks to sagging enough to be completely slushed over.

Good news? There's no longer 21" of snow on the lake... wink

lots of slush on the lake. I measured 6-7 inches of solid ice.

Fishing was good. I ended up with 4 walleyes, 7-8 eater perch, and a small pike. I figure it's a good evening for only punching two holes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank for the update Matt, any luck with the fish?

Fishing has been okay. The report above is similar to a lot of reports I'm hearing across the lake... 2-8 walleyes a night with 4 being a pretty normal bag number.

I had a client out yesterday for panfish, and the bite is really good. Getting to the lakes is fun, and moving around on some of the slush is pretty interesting, but it's doable...

• 2 weeks later...

taking 3 nephews and fatherinlaw to bemidji ice fishing. would like to find some walleys and perch to keep everyone happy. we are staying at ruttgers. so anything happening on the north side of lake. any dept i should start at to find fish. anything would help. Thanks

Walleye bite has slowed down the last 2 days. Clients in over the weekend did REALLY well from Thurs. through Sat. and then Sunday and a new group on Monday things were slow. Perch are still pretty active, and some nice ones are hitting the ice.

Fish are all over as far as depths, 6-8' of water, 17-21', and a bite in 30+ FOW. Drill holes, drop Vexilar 'ducer, fish!

Thanks Matt!

Sat with your buddy Jimmer at the Beavers hockey game over the past weekend, tried to get a few spots out of him but he didn't budge crazy haha. We did well on the Perch Saturday night on the north end in about 15 fow. Hope to see you out there one of these days!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My ice fishing trips have been far and few between this winter with my work schedule, but I did manage to get out for a few hours on Bemidji on Sat. Tried a few spots but landed on a nice pod of perch in about 33'. Nailed a limit on jigging spoons and minnow heads in a few hours. Oh, and a nice sunburn as a bonus...

Can't believe how much ice we have out there!

• 1 month later...

Well opener came and went, and fishing was pretty good considering the conditions leading up to it. The spawn is wrapping up and fish can be found cruzing the shallows adjacent to lake spawning areas or entering the lake from rivers and creeks where those fish spawned. Jigs and minnows are my go to during early season. Pretty good Mother's Day weekend with fishing sat. Axemen game Saturday night. Cooked a Turkey dinner for all the women in my life after church on Sunday. After cleaning up so my wife didn't have to Tyler and I headed to the lake for a couple hours. A couple of boats at the inlet of Bemidji got to see me fight and chase a 40lb muskie around with my terrova I-pilot for 20 mins. Pretty good time with a spinning rod and 6lb line.

How did everybody else do?

I believe we heard you on the radio from the boat on Sat., Chris. Sounds like you had some luck!

We had a very good opening weekend. Each day it took a bit to find the fish, but once located, they bit. We stayed away from the crowds...

Could have been. They called me a couple times. You're right about the crowds, especially in that shallow water! Put a bunch of boats over fish in 5ft with no waves. Scatter! We ended up moving away from the crowd in the NW corner and over to the state park all by ourselves and picked up some there.

On another note. My son is in Jeff Wades high adventure club and they have been tying flies. Last night was their field trip to a local trout stream. I can see why you like that. Might have to use part of my St Croix allotment to pick up a couple of fly rods! smile

I'll post some pics in a few.