• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I didn't get a real close look at that fish I saw a person caught last year. He told me it was just under 50 inches and if it had a tail it would have easily been over 50inches so I thought maybe it was a chance it could be the same fish.

I couldn't agree more on having the proper release tools. I've been lucky so far that a muskie haven't inhale any of my lures so getting the lure out is pretty easy with a knipex. I got to start bringing a camera with me so I can post some pics of some of these fish, thanks thrax for picsand keep posting those pics and I'll see if I can get some of my own.

All I'll say is that it being the same fish is highly unlikely if you get my drift. Would be pretty tough for that to happen. Sad part of that is there are nearly matching really roughed up fish around here. Sad to report my brother found a 52.5 inch floater on Lake Vermilion tonight about 6pm. Some people really got to work on proper equipment and release skills.

Yeah, hard to tell by the background of your beat up 50"+ fish, be it Plantan, Lake Bemidji, Cass or not...we can tell that the area lakes are kicking out some big fish! Keep the Reports coming!

Ok, as promised… fishing report July 10-13 on Lake Bemidji. Overall, we had better success than our previous trip in June. Morning / evening best, daytime bite was tougher.

Friday afternoon was breezy and had an isolated rain shower. We boated 4 walleyes in the evening trolling cranks in 10 FOW up on the north end. Good eater sized 15-18”. Saturday morning was clear skies and we fished the northwest side of the lake in 7-11 FOW just casting cranks. Picked up 4 more eater walleyes, bunch of perch, and a nice pike. Saw just a ton of forage. Schools of perch chasing minnows and big leeches floating around. I also saw a muskie cruising the shallows.

Saturday night had a big mayfly hatch. Lots of shells floating in the water and swarms buzzing in the air. Sunday and Monday was beautiful weather and although we continued to pick up lots of perch and the occasional walleye the bite was slower. Tried some slip bobbers with limited success. We did manage this nice 26.5” out from the State Park in 18 FOW. We took a picture and let her go. It was my step-dad’s personal best so he was stoked. Thanks again guys for the tips, it gave us a good reference point.

BemidjiStatePark2009008.jpg

Nice job lindy! Not a bad report considering the tougher conditions on the lake right now!

Glad you had a better trip Lindy. Forage, yep no shortage of that. The guys in the event struggled pretty badly on Saturday, many got blanked and many more brought in 1 or 2. Almost across the board fish were caught very shallow, in or around the weeds. A few better ones were caught around the base of north end humps. It is still a tough bite. Shout out if coming again and I'm sure someone will get up to date info on here. I will be traveling a bunch coming up here and almost exclusively be fishing muskies, so not much help coming for walleyes from me.

• 3 months later...

Hey Matt or if anyone would answer this........Did the lakes turnover yet or did the lakes not get warm enough to this past summer so that you wouldn't even notice or see a fall turnover? When I went to college up there the lakes usually turned over this time of year but thats when we had a normal summer of warm temps too.

• 1 month later...

Where's the general ice fishing reports on here? Everybody so busy catching no one can report? There are enough ice thickness reports. Who's catching fish? I am tomorrow. Bemidji. North End. (unless I don't catch any which would be horrible and doubtful both). Got a new cam to try out. I'm getting reports of evening walleyes biting in 20-22ft at the typical dusk times, with a few getting picked up daytime also. Bait was literally flying out of Bluewater today while I was shopping. Lets get some reports going!!

Fished a smaller lake in the area. Got out about two O'clock fish till five. Caught about 30 perch in 10 feet of water. Using crappie minnows with a red jig but I think they would bite on just about anything. Not much for size but at least I was catching something. Will try for walleyes or northerns later this week.

been out twice this week near cameron....no walleyes only perch

fri in 19.5 fow from 2:30-6

today from 6:30 am to noon

perch range from small to 11" with most being 9ish

hopin for better luck when i go up to upper red on christmas eve!!

No eyes this afternoon/evening. Did hit some nice jumbo's, but not in huge numbers. Needed to get shallower and knew it when I was setting up but got going later than I wanted to and just lived with it. I should have moved.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my wife and I decided to kick off the new year fishing on Lake Bemidji. We packed up our son and hit the lake. We were in one of our rental houses from 3:45 until 5:15 and we caught the bite just right! We managed to keep our limits of walleyes, and 1 jumbo perch. We also tossed back a nice 22" that my wife caught, as well as 3-4 other small walleyes. I lost one of the bigger fish I've ever set a hook into as well, and I'm sure I'll think about it throughout 2010! The fish bit from the time we sat down and were still biting when we left! All fish kept were from 12" to 20" and were all caught on VertiGlo jigs and spoons, 33' of water.

Nice job Matt and family. I hope to get in on some action like that yet this winter. Gotta get out more, but too cold for me and the portable yesterday and today. Maybe tomorrow. Glad to hear you're getting on the bite.

yup that house is for rent, with only next weekend open due to a cancelation. Click the link below!

Keck, it is for rent, open this weekend!

We fished the same house yesterday, where we caught 17-18 walleyes. We tossed back a 22.5 and a 26" and a lot of smaller fish this time. Checked on clients in the house this afternoon, they must've all been home or at the bar watching the Vikes, but they all had fish in the buckets!

Lake Bemidji is doing well!

I was there Friday fishing out of a portable. Fished from three O'clock to six. Caught eight nice perch 8 to 12 inches and two walleyes. Pretty sure I made a mistake of leaving early but It was too cold for a potable. I was in 18 feet of water. The ice was 13 inches.

Matt what access are you going out of we have been fishing out thier in 30 FOW and 27 FOW out of Cameron Park I belive its called and not even a single fish marked a few but nothing like you described.

The fishing has slowed down since this cold front hit us. We are managing some nice perch and some walleye's, but not the numbers we had before the cold. THe kids have had a blast catching fish and are loving fishing. We are in 19 ft on the edge of a bar. People are starting to crowd in, so it is time to find another spot.

Yep, watch those crowds hey Woodman, doesn't take long, tell a guy or two and not get them to agree to the code that goes a little like this (I'm being a nice guy tellin you about this spot so keep your mouth shut) and the spot isn't really a spot so much as a village anymore. Had it happen too many times on Bemidji years ago and now won't get too detailed on spots.

Jigging, Matt and the guys on here are great, take what you get and then apply that. Pretty nice to give depth/time/lure, all he didn't give is the coordinates, lol I wish I had those too. If you don't have a GPS along with Lakemaster compatibility I hope you haven't used up all your holiday money and go get yourself one. You'll see structure on Lake Bemidji that will give you plenty to keep you busy with seasons of ice fishing. Continue to focus on the basics of fishing like humps/underwater points/unusual breaks etc and locations will jump out at you pretty well when looking at the map. Good luck with the fishing, tons of nice jumbo's out there besides the walleyes too, but sounds like you need to start moving more.

Thanks to all the guys, nice to see some action on this Bemidji forum and all the reports have been great, way to go Matt and Woodman and cbrooks.

Whats the mobility like on bemidji right now ie snow and ice. Been fishing the area for 30 years but have never had much luck on the lake, mostly becuz of snow, ice, lack of roads. I come up with a wheelhouse 2-3 times a year and end up going elsewhere but would love to stay in the area.

thrax, good stuff!

Travel is good w/ a 4x4. I've been cross-country traveling since the cold snap and can get just about anywhere!

Fishing has slowed... guys in one rental only reported 3 walleyes in the bucket yesterday, with 5 toss-backs. Perch and pike are still keeping them busy during down-times though.

hey guys...i am moving my house to bemidji from upper red tomorrow morning....i was wondering if there was a depth of water that you would reccomend i set up in.....i am hoping to fish out of the northwoods access......also, are there any thin spots?

I have not had to fish any deeper yet than 19 ft, the action is great so I am staying there until it slows down. Walleyes and perch the last two night and the kids are having a blast.

starting to pick up again, tonight the bite was fast and furious for a while then someone turned the switch off. If I ever find that character... mad

Certainly kept the boys busy, Ben had the hot hole tonight. I need to paint some flames on his reel... grin

Buck

Up North is in my house, and we have not fished during the day due to working schedule. Darn work always gets in the way. 19 ft. I did go to another fish house yesterday and the action was fast and ferious also!

my dad is visiting this week so i want to make sure we get some fish.....i live two miles north of northwoods access...so i plan to head out from there to find a spot for the wheel house.....

i've been reccommended from 19 all the way to 42...

i wonder if there is any day bite at 19 feet...or just evening frenzy!!! what time is the action the hotest for you?? are you relating to structure or flats....gps coordinates..haha...anyways thanks for sharing what you will...