• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

woodman

Of you are traveling off road make sure you have a shovel and another truck to pull you out of the slush. My kids got a ride on the lake last night out to the house and they thought it was fun. I told them don't tell mommy what we just jumped over! winkgrin Once a trail was broke going back was easy, and I only found one sluch pocket on the road, around the house, well that is another story! Good luck this weekend and watch where you drive.

Up North

Of you are traveling off road make sure you have a shovel and another truck to pull you out of the slush. My kids got a ride on the lake last night out to the house and they thought it was fun. I told them don't tell mommy what we just jumped over! winkgrin Once a trail was broke going back was easy, and I only found one sluch pocket on the road, around the house, well that is another story! Good luck this weekend and watch where you drive.

I only wish you would've found that slush pocket before I bored through it...truck still has ice hanging off it. crazy

Buck

woodman

Buck- IT is much appreciated as always! Glad we got the house moved and away from that mess.

Fishing was good last night some perch and eyes in the mix. We had my mom out and she had a fun afternoon of fishing and hanging with Joey and I. They would come in schools and we would get 4 at a time and then awile later do it all over again.

buster88

Lake Bemidji was hot for me Sunday. High perch numbers in 32fow in the morning on the north end but i kinda got a late start because my recoil on my auger broke. Much better quality in 20fow after 2pm. I had to leave early and wasnt able to get the evening bite.

slayer21

We are making a trip to bemidji area the last weekned in Feb. Taking the gf with so looking for some perch..is plantan or lake bemidji better for perch got to keep her occupied. dont need areas or anyting just looking for quality perch and numbers..thanks

Matt Breuer

I'd hit Bemidji if I were you. The numbers are probably going to be better there....

Got a text from clients in the rental today, and they're having a blast! Young Adam is catching all of the fish... wink

524b675091844971.jpg

woodman

We saw Adam on Sunday and he is one fishing kid! He was outside on a bucket, checking tip ups, and smiling the whole time. Great to see him catch the fish and the older guys sit back and enjoy the moments! Kinda like what happens in our fish house. If the kids are happy everbody is happy! grin

Quackaddict9

These are some nice fish in that pile! That kid must've had a ton of fun too.

sjlund

What's the best depth to set up in these days? I'm not looking for anyone's spot, just a general idea. I want to get my 3 year old out for the first time this Saturday!

walleyeRyummy

i was out sunday from 1-6....my house is on the side of a hump in about 42-44 fow.....steady perch from 1-4 then nothing....prob too deep for the walleye maybe....my house is/was right by two identical looking black houses that have #'s on them....are they rentals? i am on the north-east side

woodman

yup

Up North

What's the best depth to set up in these days? I'm not looking for anyone's spot, just a general idea. I want to get my 3 year old out for the first time this Saturday!

We've been at 19ft, 29ft, 31ft and 34ft and every spot we've fished has produced nice perch with decent walleye action as well. Someone here also fished 6 or 7ft and caught a ton of perch, just had to pick through the dinks to get to the jumbos.

Will see what tomorrow brings...haven't been out for 5 days, feeling a "fish house seperation anxiety" grin...

Buck

walleyeRyummy

ah...unless you moved them since sun i am in the black house right to the south of #1 and 2 with the bay window...you think i am too deep for walleye?

Matt Breuer

Those are not our rentals, and no, you're not too deep for walleyes.

Up North

good daybite yesterday, lots of good perch and a couple walleyes up to 2pm. Back out at 4:30pm (a little late) and one walleye, one perch up to 7pm.

Matt, talked to one of our buddies nextdoor, they might try another spot soon.

Buck

cbrooks

Fished Bemedji yesterday noon to seven. Caught about 40 perch, between 7 to 11 inches, one walleye and a nice northern. I was in 25 feet of water. The bite was consistent from noon to five. Wasn't anything after five.

Matt Breuer

Buck

I highly doubt they will, Buck! They have little-to-no respect. Parking between our shacks was a crappy deal. He sent me a note saying, "The rule is 10 feet." He's 28 feet from one house, 30 from the other. Maybe we should slide a bill for plowing fees under his door? wink

For those of you looking for a spot to fish, everyone with a permie out there would appreciate it if you'd stay more than the required 10 feet away. If there are 2 houses right next to each other with a parking area plowed in the middle, don't put your house in the parking area that's plowed.

RussC

For those of you looking for a spot to fish, everyone with a permie out there would appreciate it if you'd stay more than the required 10 feet away. If there are 2 houses right next to each other with a parking area plowed in the middle, don't put your house in the parking area that's plowed.

It would also be appreciated if those people would slow down to speeds under Mach3 as you drive by permies. One guy last night was doing laps on the lake, flew by our house at least half a dozen times. Not cool at all.

We fished from 5:30pm-2am last night and managed one 6 inch perch. 36-38 FOW Been really slow the past couple days around us. We were hoping the weather moving in would turn the bite on a little bit last night but oh well.

woodman

Had a truck about 10 ft away today. Took all I had not to go out there and talk to them! Sometimes it is not worth my Breath. Another group cut holes alround another neighbor out there, so he cranked it up and moved. I am see poor sportsmanship on the lake and it is not pretty!

fished with the family from 10-4 and had a great day of fishing mid day. Lots of perch and some eyes mixed in. Have somebody out there now for the evening bite while we go to Megan's dance show.

thrax

One nice one from today. Numbers weren't there but quality was good on what we did catch.

Matt, nice having you stop by, sorry the bite wasn't better. Hope you got some afterwards. Woodman, nice meeting you last weekend and glad to hear you are still catching, albeit the "neighbor" issues, same for you Matt with the crowding issues.

Some guys were fishing tipups probably 100 yards or better from us today, they felt it necessary to "yell" to us the weedline we were fishing went much "further" up the shore, their closest tipup had to be probably 50 yards away from us, but once we had started drilling holes, they felt it was necessary to move some to within about 30ft of where we had some holes. Didn't say a word to them. They were also clearly past the legal distance from their truck, which they stood around or were in all afternoon. Too bad there are these types of issues out there.

IMG_0143.jpg

woodman

Brian- Saw you in that spot, but had to get to the dance show and watch the daughter show off! We will be back out in the am.

buster88

Thanks Matt for the updates its the only way i catch fish and the roads. Was out near Cameron Park today. We caught about 40 perch in 34 fow in the morning and moved to 16 fow and faired well with a few 9 inchers but low on the numbers. I agree; some people need to drive much slower and respect the other fishermen. Im in an 2005 f150 with a Clam Nanook feel free to stop by when im out.

Up North

Originally Posted By: Up North

Buck

I highly doubt they will, Buck! They have little-to-no respect. Parking between our shacks was a crappy deal. He sent me a note saying, "The rule is 10 feet." He's 28 feet from one house, 30 from the other. Maybe we should slide a bill for plowing fees under his door? wink

I doubt I'd get paid, but I know where I'll bank the snow next time I plow... cool

Buck

fishingfool

To change gears a little, I was fishing on Bemidji on Saturday and caught a couple nice perch. the two biggest ones puked up and have had in their stomach what appeared to be very small crayfish. Anyone else observed this? this was a first for me.

Powder

Could they have been freshwater shrimp?

fishingfool

I dont think so. Not unless they were some large subspecies of freshwater shrimp that U have never seen before.

thrax

I am not aware of freshwater shrimp in Bemidji. There are though quite a variety of insect larvae that would/could look like baby crayfish. I'd probably bet on it being something along those lines. Did they have claws and were they actually crayfish? I'd still bet on the larger insect larvae.

fishingfool

these were about an 1.5 inches long and had all the charteristics (shell, claws, etc) of crayfish. I am 99.9% sure they were crayfish. also I have bachelors in fish and willife management so I have seen all the creep crawlies that live in the water - these were crayfish.

Matt Breuer

They're crayfish, a huge part of the forage base in Lake Bemidji.

thrax

Then I guess they were crayfish, lol. The other poster maybe got me confused and I thought you were unsure what they were. They certainly could be small crayfish, can't say I've seen lots of that on Bemidji, but no reason they couldn't have been. I also have a Bachelors degree in Aquatic Biology from BSU so have also seen everything to be found in Lake Bemidji. winksmile

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Bonez
      By Bonez
      I tried to search and found a few old posts regarding Superior National Forest (quoted at the end of my post). I usually go grouse hunting in the Superior National Forest every fall, but I've never been up there fishing. I'm planning to head up there in ~1 month with a couple of my friends and their families and we will be bringing canoes. We're hoping to catch some walleye ideally. When I've been up in the fall hunting we usually try to camp by one the many lakes (Wilson, Whitefish, Silver Island, Bone...). The posts at the end are over a decade old already. I'm sure that some of it hasn't changed, but I was wondering if anyone has any good tips for fishing in the SNF? I perused DNR LakeFinder for the lakes in the area we usually go to that have walleyes: Timber, Finger, Sister, Dam Five, Elbow, Frear, Ninemile, T Lake, Windy, Harriet, Wilson, Toohey, Four Mile, Whitefish, Silver Island. Anyone have any general or specific tips for this area? We'd be in canoes, so don't need a lake that has a launch, and maybe that adds benefit getting to a lake that potentially has less pressure.

------------------------------------------------------------

"There are a number of areas you could get to easily with just about any vehicle. Lake Eighteen, Wilson, Silver Island, August... There are a couple that come to mind down some tougher roads, Seven Beavers and Harris. If you wanted to have a wilderness type experience without the permits and regs you could boat across Ojibway and take the roller portage into Triangle if you have a smaller boat. Birch Lake has a lot of the rustic campsites."

"Dumbbell is another option (I forgot to mention) and if you're interested in going after muskies would be a good option. Pretty cool campsite on a point."

"Wilson has some really nice walleyes, but because it's so clear, the best bite is after dark. Windy has a lot of eaters, plus plenty of northerns and the occasional whitefish. There are several sites scattered around the perimeter. An updated MacKenzie map should show the locations of most campsites on any lake you're looking to fish."

"Elbow, Timber, Frear - I would hit them for sure, close together and good walleye lakes. For bait I would use jig and minnows if your bringing minnows, and leeches on a snell, crawlers on the harness. I know lindy rigs and leeches work also, so bring them. Bone Lake - Great splake lake. Lots of good size fish. I love to fish splake, and I would bring in just these spoons. Kamloopers, in rainbow trout and perch colors, and Kastmasters in silver blue, and perch. These are what I only use for splake. They are the best period. Bring a few as there are good sized fish in there. Put them on a swivel and troll the shorelines and points for them, deadly approach. As for Cross River and Coffee Lake your typical walleye rigs will work as I mentioned above. I would bring some pike lures and try for some pike as well. Cross River has good size pike in there. I would also check with some bait shops or local people who have fished these lakes this year, just in case of a freeze out. We had alot of ice up this way. Lotta beaver ponds I trap froze to the bottom, and Cross Lake is shallow, and so is Coffee, but with the creeks and rivers running into them you should be OK. But I would check with the Beaver House or Bucks Hardware. Hate to hike in and the lake froze out."

• Vlewis128
      By Vlewis128
      Hi all. I am currently at Rush Lake near Perham at Four Seaons Resort. We’ve been here three days and have caught basically nothing. Can anyone give me some advice on walleyes here? Where to go and good baits for this lake? I’ll take any advice on any type of fish you might experience with on this lake. Never been here before.....
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Anglers had an excellent week of good fishing and fish frys.  A strong walleye bite continues with best success in 17-28 feet of water.  It is good to remember, not all walleyes do the same thing.  Some schools are deep, some shallow.  Some may be feeding on minnows, others critters in the mud.  Good reports in various areas along the south shore of the lake as well as Knight / Bridges Island area.  Anchored up and vertical jigging a jig and minnow or frozen emerald shiner has been very successful.  Gold / pink  / orange or a combo hard to beat.  Drifting with spinners and trolling crankbaits also catching fish.  A nice mix of eaters, slots and trophies.  Some big pike and jumbo perch in the mix.  
      On the Rainy River...   Anglers caught some good walleyes in the river this week.  Best depth 12-24'.  Jigs and minnows working the best.  The edge of the river channel in Four Mile Bay also giving up some walleyes.  Smallmouth bass in good numbers.  Typical spots, rocky areas, current breaks, bridge and rip rap areas.  Somie big pike still hanging out in bays.  The sturgeon season is closed until July 1st when the season re-opens.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake and stay in MN waters.  Some resorts are offering transport service across the lake in MN waters to the Angle prior to the border opening.  Some guests are setting up with transport to follow charters in their own boats.  Various south shore resorts are offering parking for guests of NW Angle resorts.
      Fishing is great.  Anglers fishing the Angle are catching good numbers of walleyes.  Jigging rocky points in 10 - 22 feet of water producing nice walleyes.  Some good fish also being caught on crankbaits in 8-12' of water.  Big pike in bays and creek mouths.  Smallmouth bass in bays and shallow rocks.  

• Rick
      By Rick
      In memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for the freedoms we enjoy. Thank you!!

Your sacrifice and courage gave us a country where we can pursue our dreams without the fear of others denying our freedom, essential liberty and ability to pursue happiness. Thank you.

I promise your sacrifice has not been made in vain. I will always be vigilant protecting what you so courageously bought for all of us. Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Courage and love, over fear and hatred...ALWAYS!

THANK YOU VETERANS who gave everything that we might live FREE!
    • NDAngler
      By NDAngler
      Hey folks,
      First post here. I've really wanted to get into smallmouth fishing. It's hard to track down reports about rivers and creeks, so I was wondering if there are any nice smallmouth creeks around Ottertail County. I live about 50 miles into southeast ND and I have a couple cabins I can stay at around Otter Tail. I would really appreciate any information you are willing to share. Thank you!
    • Squirrelhawke
      By Squirrelhawke
      Ended up going out to the South end of the lake this weekend. Did ok for bites not knowing the lake so only brought home one pike. Saw quite a few more but they were all too big to keep with the 24-36 slot in effect. Biggest surprise was catching a small pout on my first cast yesterday. Definitely a river lake.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      5.18.2020 On the south end...  Resorts are open and anglers enjoying fishing and fish frys.  A strong walleye bite continues with best success in 20 - 30 feet of water.  Anchored up and vertical jigging a jig and minnow or frozen emerald shiner has been very successful.  Gold / pink or gold / orange colors hard to beat.  South end water temps warmer than north end of lake.  Fish on the south end mainly post spawn, up north, still spawning.  A nice mix of eaters, slots and trophies.  Some big pike continue to be caught as well.  
      On the Rainy River...   Some good walleyes were caught in the river this week.  Best depth 12-24'.  Jigs and minnows working the best.  Some fish still being caught in the Four Mile Bay and the Bostic Bay areas.  Fish are post spawn.  Some shiners are in the river holding fish. The sturgeon season is closed until July 1st when the season re-opens.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake and stay in MN waters.  Some resorts are offering transport service across the lake in MN waters to the Angle prior to the border opening.  Various south shore resorts are offering parking for guests of NW Angle resorts.
      Fishing is great.  Anglers fishing the Angle are catching good numbers of walleyes.  Jigging rocky points and reefs close to islands in 8 - 25 feet of water effective.  Some good fish also coming on crankbaits in 8-12' of water. 

• Muskies
      By Muskies
      Hello everyone.
      I have not seen or heard from anyone on the form so I thought I would post some pictures of opening weekend on rainy lake, May 16 and 17. Water is about 18” low from July levels and water temperature is 56 degrees as of Sunday. The walleyes and bass were caught on jig and minnows in 8’- 12’ of water. 

• hooksetter
      By hooksetter
      Has anyone fished a small lake near Cross Lake called Velvet Lake? I am looking at property on the lake and may have to make a decision before exploring the lake!

Thank you for any information. 

mark hooksetter
    • SteinBizer
      By SteinBizer
      Who’s ready for pre spawn? Water temps on the river should be getting close right? I lived on the Minnesota River most my life now I’m stuck in central and I’m not a lake fishing guy. Anyone off the Minnesota, Mississippi, or St. Croix have any updates on water temps in those rivers, feel free to reply! I’m scratchin to go cat’n ! Going out this weekend to fill the bait tank with some bullheads. 
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• monstermoose78
      I sure love this dog!!
    • monstermoose78
      Yep current areas are key
    • monstermoose78
      The area is so huge. I like devilfish, Tom, crescent, lots of trout lakes and splake are my favorite to eat. Brule lake has been good to me over the years. Triangle can be awesome and tofte is close and is a good trout lake. Fall lake with dam is hard to beat for eyes year round. Don’t for smallies for fun and to eat.
    • fishingstar
      Kandiyohi  count sheriff department caught a 74 Larson speed boat.  But seriously, a guy had the transom brake off and it sank sounds like someone in a pontoon rescued them.  
    • TomWehler
    • JBMasterAngler
      Lakes across the state are going to have much more noticeable traffic this summer. No twins games, kids sports, restaurants, festivals, parades, meat raffles, garage sales, concerts, movies, etc, etc, etc, etc to go to. 
    • JBMasterAngler
      Doesn’t anyone at the resort have any advice?
    • Borch
      Seems too small to be used for a recirculation line to another livewell.  Not 100 % sure what it would be used for though.  My first thought is a pressure vacuum line as I believe lund is still using a valve system for switching live wells fill from the pump. 
    • Bonez
      I tried to search and found a few old posts regarding Superior National Forest (quoted at the end of my post). I usually go grouse hunting in the Superior National Forest every fall, but I've never been up there fishing. I'm planning to head up there in ~1 month with a couple of my friends and their families and we will be bringing canoes. We're hoping to catch some walleye ideally. When I've been up in the fall hunting we usually try to camp by one the many lakes (Wilson, Whitefish, Silver Island, Bone...). The posts at the end are over a decade old already. I'm sure that some of it hasn't changed, but I was wondering if anyone has any good tips for fishing in the SNF? I perused DNR LakeFinder for the lakes in the area we usually go to that have walleyes: Timber, Finger, Sister, Dam Five, Elbow, Frear, Ninemile, T Lake, Windy, Harriet, Wilson, Toohey, Four Mile, Whitefish, Silver Island. Anyone have any general or specific tips for this area? We'd be in canoes, so don't need a lake that has a launch, and maybe that adds benefit getting to a lake that potentially has less pressure.   ------------------------------------------------------------   "There are a number of areas you could get to easily with just about any vehicle. Lake Eighteen, Wilson, Silver Island, August... There are a couple that come to mind down some tougher roads, Seven Beavers and Harris. If you wanted to have a wilderness type experience without the permits and regs you could boat across Ojibway and take the roller portage into Triangle if you have a smaller boat. Birch Lake has a lot of the rustic campsites."   "Dumbbell is another option (I forgot to mention) and if you're interested in going after muskies would be a good option. Pretty cool campsite on a point."   "Wilson has some really nice walleyes, but because it's so clear, the best bite is after dark. Windy has a lot of eaters, plus plenty of northerns and the occasional whitefish. There are several sites scattered around the perimeter. An updated MacKenzie map should show the locations of most campsites on any lake you're looking to fish."   "Elbow, Timber, Frear - I would hit them for sure, close together and good walleye lakes. For bait I would use jig and minnows if your bringing minnows, and leeches on a snell, crawlers on the harness. I know lindy rigs and leeches work also, so bring them. Bone Lake - Great splake lake. Lots of good size fish. I love to fish splake, and I would bring in just these spoons. Kamloopers, in rainbow trout and perch colors, and Kastmasters in silver blue, and perch. These are what I only use for splake. They are the best period. Bring a few as there are good sized fish in there. Put them on a swivel and troll the shorelines and points for them, deadly approach. As for Cross River and Coffee Lake your typical walleye rigs will work as I mentioned above. I would bring some pike lures and try for some pike as well. Cross River has good size pike in there. I would also check with some bait shops or local people who have fished these lakes this year, just in case of a freeze out. We had alot of ice up this way. Lotta beaver ponds I trap froze to the bottom, and Cross Lake is shallow, and so is Coffee, but with the creeks and rivers running into them you should be OK. But I would check with the Beaver House or Bucks Hardware. Hate to hike in and the lake froze out."    
    • Mike89

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.