• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Alex wilhelmi

Heading to faribault this weekend. Gonna try Fox and french lake again. Anyone been out there having any luck? Is the ice still drivable? Any information is much appreciated! Thanks again, tight lines all!!!

Rick

The ice is still drivable and they've been catching panfish. Shields has really been on fire. Lot's of houses on it though.

Alex wilhelmi

Awesome thanks Rick! I'll post a fishing report on how we do! 

• Like 1

Alex wilhelmi

Does anyone by chance know of any resorts that rent cabins this time of year on any lakes in the faribault area. I love white Russians while sitting in my ice tent. But not so much the drive back through town to a hotel. Oh and of course there's the Busch lattes!

relax

Hi @Rick, I'm also looking to take my family out this weekend. I  have a 3/4 ton with a 8x24 ice castle. Was looking at Shields or German. Is it pretty safe with my rig? I know some of these smaller lakes are aerated and can have some soft spots. Just want to be extra safe with the family. Also, the fishing been ok down there?

Thanks in advance!

Justin

Rick

I never guarantee safety.

Others in similar position are out on Shields.

I would assume German is the same.

I would do it just not telling you to do it. :)

Alex wilhelmi

Hey Justin, if you see a 2004 burgundy 1500 Silverado with Iowa plates on shields, Yukon tent. That's the girlfriend and I. Stop by for a Busch latte, or a white Russian. I can't wait to get out of Iowa for the weekend. 4 am on the road!!!!!!!! yeah baby!!!!!! Good luck!!

Alex wilhelmi

Fished shields lake yesterday from 900 am to 6. 12 fow caught 25 real nice gills 10 perch ,all dinks. And 2 crappie about 9 inches. Pretty steady fishing all day. We were about 50 yds from all the sleepers. Lots of traffic. At least 2 ft of ice. Used a little ant , orange and bright green with some white dressing tied to it. Got em from Nagel's. He said they were good, and he was right. Tipped with wax worm. Crappie came in at 530 caught the biggest on a glow blue angel eye with a minnow head. Snowing really hard so we packed up. Tent is froze. But we're going back out here in a bit. Gonna try roberds lake. I'll post later on that. Good luck all!

• Like 1

Alex wilhelmi

Got a late start this morning so we didn't hit the ice until about 9:30ish. Roberds Lake. In 21 feet of water marked fish and had a few bites but only caught a few 4-5" white bass. We had some trouble with our auger and we were stuck in the same spot until I plugged the fuel line back into the primer and then it worked. Local guy came over and offered to drill some holes for me before i got it working. minn nice..and told me there was deeper water past a string of houses so we went there and found 32 feet. Marked fish and caught a few crappies that were suspended at about 15 feet on a pink and white glow demon, small demon with a minnow head. We had a better day at Shields Lake yesterday (thank you Rick!) but we wanted to try different lakes in the area. It was still a blast. Snow storm sucked but we had a great time. Minnesota is awesome. Good luck all.

• Like 1

pikeandchester

Spent some time on Jefferson (east) and Francis. Ice is holding up well. Accesses are a bit beat up but manageable. still a bit of crusty snow on top and the ice is thick, didn't measure. Still trucks driving out. Fishing was very tough, was trying for sunnies  caught one small bass. Lots of lookers. Drove by Madison yesterday and saw trucks with wheel houses out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

phishslayer

Thanks for the update. I live in Mankato and it's nice to get info without having to drive all the way out and back.

pikeandchester

Spent some time on on Francis today. Ice on the main part of the lake looks to be in great shape but the west access is pretty bad. Got the ATV out, Probably not getting a vehicle out though. Saw one car out, don’t know where they got on the ice. Shore isn’t pulling away yet (other than the access).

• Like 1

Alex wilhelmi

I'm so jealous of you guys, I put my ice fishing gear away couple nights ago. It took 3 Busch lights and and one Keystone light tall boy to muster up the courage to pack it away till next winter. Sad day.

phishslayer

My condolences Alex. 

pikeandchester

Been a long wait! Elysian last Saturday. No fishing report, just a boat drive but dang it felt good!

B64CBB08-793D-4EDF-9392-4228F0E69116.jpeg

• Like 3

pikeandchester

9F88D1C2-2E12-448B-8D99-8B3208ED4B72.thumb.jpeg.b871691865d9eb38b3b33a782535f57b.jpegSpent a couple hours on German. Slow fishing, just a couple small sunnies, the boy and I where happy to be out though.  Water temperature ranged from mid 60s to mid 70s. No fresh vegetation and dirty water. Must still be running a bit behind despite the warm weather.

• Like 2

Mitch K

The water in Cannon lake is the clearest I've ever seen it. You can see the bottom in 5ft easily. Caught a few perch and a striped bass. Also saw some big bass around the fishing pier by the beach.

• Like 1

Rick

It clears like that every spring.

Nice catch. Any size to the striper?

Mitch K

Nah it was maybe 6-7 inch, maybe it'll be a keeper next year.

• Like 1

pikeandchester

Spent a couple hours on Elysian this afternoon.  Drove around some shallow areas on the south east end of the lake with the trolling motor and only saw carp. Water is still unusually clear for this lake, at any time of the year, and 79 degrees near shore. May be a great opportunity for a bow fisherman, even in the daylight. Tried soaking minnows in a hole on the north end with no luck.

Mitch K

Went out fishing all over today and caught nothing but sunburn ?

Started off heading to the German lake pier only to find it unusable (see pic).

Headed over to Elysian lake pier and almost caught a bullhead. That lake was pretty green and murky already.

Then Tetonka pier where i saw lots of nice bass and a pike swimming around but they wouldn't bite. It looked like a nice spot for now with a gap in the weeds running right up to the end of the dock and very clear water.

Then back to Faribault where i tried the Fox lake pier, the Cannon lake bridge, and the dams in town.

20180604_082034.jpg

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello, from Sunset Lodge!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. In Minnesota, high winds limited fishing areas but many of our guests were able to find the walleyes stacked up on the humps pulling spinners.  Gold and green crawler harnesses are working the best.

In Canada, working a slower presentation such as a lift and drag technique has been most effective.  Limits of walleye are being caught using gold and chartreus colors in 18-22 ft.  Key areas have been Deepwater Bay, Monkey Rocks and the west side of Falcon Island.  Smallmouth fishing has been heating up as well, using a jig and plastic on the rocks. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      In Minnesota, walleye fishing has been fantastic! Using a jig and minnow or a bobber rig, walleye can be had anywhere from 3-15 feet in the evening and 18-25 during the day. Pink and white, chartreuse or blue and white jigs have been the most productive.

Canadian walleye are being found a little deeper at 22-26 feet. Many nice fish were caught this last week, multiple 26-28 inch and a very nice 30 incher. A jig and frozen shiner is the go to, however a freshly dead fathead works equally as well.

Surface water temps are in the high 50’s at sunrise, reaching mid to upper 60’s by evening after this sunny Memorial day weekend!

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. Minnesota fishermen can be selective of fish kept, as  they have had no problem filling Walleye limits.  17-19 feet will produce late in the day with 21-25 feet being most productive away from structure during mid day. Pink, white and gold have been most productive all around. Glow or UV have also had success during cloudy conditions if charged often.

Canada continues to give up Crappies between 25 and 32ft, still with a light setup and electronics. Many tulibee and the ocassional whitefish are being caught while crappie fishing.  Walleye in Canada on points and reefs remain easy to catch.

We still have plenty of ice on the Minnesota and Canadian side and trails are still being groomed. 

March is a great time for a last minute trip to the Angle!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

The Minnesota side is still kicking out fish between 18-25 feet. Fish are hitting jigging spoons when active; specifically White, Gold or U.V.  When activity levels are slow, try the Deadstick 8-10 inches from the bottom. We had numerous Giant Pike this week, all caught on Walleye spoons.

Canadian Walleye fishing is incredible. Fish are slamming aggressive presentations like rip’n raps and spoons tipped with Shiners. Crappie action varies day to day. An ultra-light set up is guaranteed to catch more Crappies than a walleye rod.

Trails are still being manicured and are in overall great condition. The warmer weather is exposing ice chunks off of the snowmobile trail and creating heaves, one near Knight Island deserves attention. Travel cautiously off of marked trails. We have 3+ feet of ice.

See you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been most productive in 20-24 feet of water.  Guests are bringing home their limits of Walleye and Sauger with the occasional Perch and Northern mixed in. Fish have been most active early and late in the day and the bite has been terrific. The use of electronics continues to be very beneficial with fish taking jigging spoons, jigg’n raps or rattle baits.  Snowmobile ttrails on the Minnesota side continue to be maintained and are in great shape. We are still making ice, with most spots at over 30 inches. 

North and East of us in Canada, big Crappies are coming in on light tackle setups out of 30 feet. If you are looking for walleye, they are everywhere!

Until next week, 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been really good this past week with good numbers of slot fish and a 30” walleye. We have been on the move with our houses and it is paying off.  Multiple houses producing an all day sauger bite with plenty of walleye mixed in. 20-24 feet is where we have found the most action. Glow and white/gold spoons have been the prefered color as of late. 

Our snowmobile and marked trails are in great condition.  Thirty inches of ice is common with 24 in higher current areas.

Up in Canada, limits of crappies are still being had in 30’ and deeper water.  Ultra light tackle and rod set up can make the difference some days, while other days crappies can be caught on Rip’n Raps and Jigging spoons.  Walleye action remains strong on reefs and points in 24-28 feet. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, limits of walleye and sauger are being caught between 22 and 25 feet. Presentation changes daily from deadstick to jigging but not both. Pink and white, or gold and chartreuse have had many slot fish and lost a few BIG ones.

The Canadian side of the lake has seen a lot of northern action, with the biggest closing in on 48.” Walleye are still plentiful off of reefs and points. Crappie action has been sporatic with the changing weather fronts. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye continue to be caught in 18-21 feet at the bottom of shoreline breaks.  Rattle baits and jigging spoons call fish to the holes, while a plain hook and minnow seals the deal. Perch and sauger are consistently found between 25 and 28 feet, walleye can be found there too for a good mid-day bite. The hottest bite this week was within an hour of sundown. 

Up in Canada, walleye fishing remains relatively easy, get yourself to a spot that looks like walleye structure and start reeling them in!
      Canadian crappies are still filling freezers at 28-32 feet, with small UV colored rip’n raps or a small jig and plastic.  Depth finders have proven to be a necessity with finding a pattern in the fish, whether it be rising or falling jigging action.  

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      1.22.18 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Minnesota walleye fishing has been consistent between 18-21 feet. The most effective method is on the dead stick set slightly above the jigging rod. 25-28 feet is also filling buckets with a good walleye and sauger mix, even the occasional jumbo perch. Slender and Tundra spoons have been bringing fish to the house. We have also seen numerous northern pike this week with the largest being over 42.”
      Canadian walleye fishing remain excellent, especially along points and reefs. Crappie action has been hit or miss. The bite has been better in the morning with anglers limiting out in the first few hours. Fishing deeper than 28 feet is important to get good action.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• #m2
      By #m2
      Does anyone know if big pine lake mn. By perham is safe  to drive on.. I'm driving ram 1500 hemi... and r the walleyes biting...thanks....
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Mike89
      ya don't need a cajun, just the seasonings!!!!  and the rest of the fixins of course!!! but it would be fun with the real thing too!!
    • rangerforme
      We just got back from a week primarily fishing the east/south side.  I won't lie it was super tough, we didn't even mark fish for hours some days driving around the humps/shoreline breaks.  Usually its pretty good this time of year but this year it was brutal.  Few days we'd end up with 2 or 3 fish for half a day of fishing.  The tank at camp probably counted 35 walleyes cleaned for the week for 40 anglers.  Few slots but just not biting down that way.  Lots of pike came in and panfish.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Tough bite for decent fish the past few days! Went out by myself this morning and switched tactics again. Trolled spinners/1/2 crawler and #4 gold Shad Raps on a 3-way rig in 24' to 30'. Had my limit of 4, 15" to 16" walleyes and a jumbo in the first hour! Released 5 other smaller walleyes also during the 2-1/2 hours that I was out. Cliff
    • Naturboy
      Went out yesterday for a little while, thought I’d just go close with the kayak given the time slot I had. Just planned on small gills and and bass, ( the normal catch in this place), but 2 18” walleyes supprised me.  A couple of loons were the only company I had while I was there. Lots of gills and bass as I expected just small in size. 
    • Gone Out Fishin
      @Mike89 if I still had my traps I'd do a Crawfish Boil. Need some Cajuns to help me.
    • MN_Walleye_0408
      New Ice shelter coming this fall from Otter and Polaris specifically made for full size Rangers.  This will be available at your local Polaris dealer. Lock & Ride Polaris XP Pro Lodge by Otter 0518.pdf
    • Jmnhunter
      i did find out i have that same one on my 2016 and found the specs, max draw is 1625 during their "desert" test; from stuff I've found on my champion generator's website I cant tell if it'll work or not as they stated some will...
    • paceman
      I took a couple of guys from church out last night. They fish about once every couple years. I didn't think they would have the patience for walleye fishing so we went after pannies. Caught a couple of sunnies right away. For me they were small but these guys were just pumped to catch 7-8 inch sunnies! Fished for them a bit until we had about 15 in the live well. They wanted to clean them so I was fine with that. I then took them to one of my crappie spots. Not sure if they have ever caught a crappie before, right away I caught a small 9 inch one and of the guys was kind of upset I through it back. A minute later he hooks into a 13". Pretty sure most of North Becker county heard him hooting, hollering! I was laughing so hard! It is always blast taking out folks that love fish but don't fish very often. That to me is just strange. Especially around here with tons of lakes and great fishing. It wasn't fast and furious but still a solid  bite. Took about an hour to catch our 30 fish limit of great eaters. Most in the 11-12" range. I found them scattered along the weeds in 9-12', simple plastic with a twister tail or a paddle tail. It always super fun taking out fishing newbies. Pretty sure FB was full of their pictures last night!
    • skyking
      Was up last week on Kab and it seemed that your bait depended on where you were fishing. Some areas leeches did good, but others minnows were the go to. We lindy rigged the entire trip and on days when wind was gusty we did pretty good shallower with minnows in 13 to 20 ft....then some areas we were doing better with leeches 16 to 32 ft. No wind was like the dead sea.
    • Mike89
      catch and eat the crawfish too!!!