• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

wow. I have never seen Nick with one of those, its either a dock or a sheephead.

And the sun was shining? "The curse" may be lifted! Spells good thing for the S.E.!!

Mike...I had the perfect angle to camcord the plastics seminar.

Next tome I'll bring the camcorder and record your "trolling seminar"!

CrappiesNCats- were they in the shallows yet or still staging in deeper water just outside the shallows?

are the perch above or below the dam ? they biteing on waxies?thanks

below all the way through to the channel is carrying a decent perch bite

as for deep or shallow crappies, the whole lake is only 5 foot deep. but dont underestimate what is viewed as trashwater. some of those bays that never get hit in the summer are holding crappies. i fish a bay that a friend lives on that is surrounded by private houses. its only about 1 1/2-2 1/2 foot deep, but the fish are in there. minnows are safe now as the bullys havent really started.

Fished Fountain Tuesday morning, Crappie bite was a little slower compared to over the weekend, most everyone was bobber fishing with minnows and plain hook and having success, I used a jig with a twister tail and had the same success. People were catching decent perch by the dam, another fisherman I talked to said he was down there catching perch and also seen a lot of small walleyes, on a sad note some individuals were keeping 8-10 inch walleyes, thankfully law enforcement was called and action was taken on these individuals.

I don't know why any one would want to keep 8-10 walleyes, You wouldn't be able to get any meat off one anyway. I'm glad to hear law enforcement was contacted.

easter weekend. i did the best for crappies surrounded by private land that an old friends parents live on.

did a lot of moving around. but avoided the masses outside of the channel/dam. only spent a little time there though as i don't care too much for the congestion.

South Central MN Weekly Fishing Report, 4-20-09

We're in the middle of a slight cold front but by mid-week, the weather will be back in the fishermen and women's favor. If you are able, this is a great time to search out both deep and shallow water for perch, crappies and bluegills. These pan fish seem to be split into two different "groups". Some remain right where they left off during late ice by gorging on mayfly larvae, small minnows and blood worms over 10 - 20' of water (and deeper in some cases) adjacent to their typical shallow water haunts of which will soon be used for spawning. And some are holding (or staging) less than a stone's throw from their spawning grounds in 4 - 10' of water. If you are able to locate any moving water near the latter location on any body of water, focus your attention there. During the day, staying mobile to keep on a school of fish is necessary but be ready for the fish to school and become more active during low light, especially in shallower water. Timing is everything when looking in water 10' deep and skinnier but if you find 'em in there, they're going to be vulnerable. With that in mind, it is important to handle these pre-spawn fish very carefully and only keep what you need if that's something you're out to do. Protecting our resource is of the utmost importance. Areas to focus on are places where fresh water is entering the lake, "saddles" and flats adjacent to darker bottom bays, shoreline transitions and channel or backwater areas. The fish are responding well to plastics and hair jigs tipped with spikes but smaller minnows on a plain hook under a float is another great option. Work these presentations very slow and be prepared for both light and aggressive bites.

Main lake water temperature is varying between 48 - 54 degrees F on most lakes, while some of the darker bottom bays are starting to flirt with the high 50's and low 60's.

thanks for the report TO. sounds like i might be going out this weekend and giving it a try hopefully. ill post a report if i do get out.

Moving water has been the key for me the last week or so. Been on some real bruisers up to 13". Like T.O. stated, selective harvest this time of year is a must. Nice report T.O.

Moving water has been the key for me the last week or so. Been on some real bruisers up to 13". Like T.O. stated, selective harvest this time of year is a must. Nice report T.O.

Thanks.

Note any differences in water temperature from the main lake, bays, etc. as compared to the areas with moving water?

South Central MN Weekly Fishing Report, 4-27-09

Last week's warm-up was quickly chased out of town by another cold snap that meant business and is here to stay for a bit. This change in weather brought some obvious changes to the bite and if you didn't or are still not adapting to these changes, your success rate is and will continue to be probably lower than you'd like. Main lake water temperatures continue to vary between 48 - 54 degrees F, while some of the darker bottom bays are hanging in the high 50's and low 60's.

It's not that there isn't movement in shallower water but the most active schools of pan fish are being found in 15 - 25' right now. The difficult part has been finding a school of fish large enough to target and also to have them stay underneath you for any length of time. One of the better locations continues to be areas where fish like to stage less than a stone's throw from their spawning grounds. So, if you know where the pan fish spawn, you have an advantage. Locating and fishing around moving water can also help you catch more fish this time of year too. When water temperatures are "in between", often times, moving water will pick up a few degrees over that of a bay or main lake basin and a slight difference like this is something, when acted on, will make you a better angler. Some of the better presentations this past week have been Jiggin' Raps, tube jigs and hair jigs. Fish light, slow and vertical.

It remains important to handle these pre-spawn fish very carefully and only keep what you need if that's something you're out to do. Protecting our resource is of the utmost importance.

Lots of people at the Cannon River Park Public Access in Waterville all afternoon and into the evening. I didn't see anyone catching anything, must have been the weather smile

Fishing was good for us this evening in the lagoons. Chartruse power tubes a couple feet under a float.

I counted about 25 dozen left in the flat so let me know if you need any.

I can also start to pre soak them in YUM crawfish!! grin