• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have been out a few times in the last week now that archery season is over. I have been finding keeper sized walleyes along steep breaks in about 18-22' with sand bottom lately. Nothing has been hitting an actively jigged line as every walleye I caught has been on a tip up or slip bobber rig. The bait of choice has been fatheads with a plain #6 hook. I'm hoping after this cold front passes we can get some steady weather and the fish become a little more aggressive.

Looking at getting out this weekend with a relitive that hasn't been on the ice in about 20 years and i'm just wondering how the ice conditions are on Mazaka and French. I was there a couple weeks back and there were a couple bad spots on both. Any info would be great.

Spent the day on the blue earth river punching holes in 5ft up to 15ft deep. Snagged one carp! Saw a lot of fish on my vex but nothing was interested in the million presentations I threw at them today. This ice season is killing me. I might even start fishing near other people at this point.

Finally got out flagging for the first time this year. Kinda slow. Set out 12 flags, got 5 fish including a 8.5 pounder my wife's friend caught which was released. Other fish were from 2-5 lbs so everyone went home with a meal. Lots of brats and beer consumed. I will try to get a pic up later.

For those of you fishing today or tomorrow, well hope you got four wheel drive. You can navigate thru some drifts but man is it drifted in out there. I helped one female get unstuck this morning and it's only supposed to get worse. But I'll still be going back out!

Thanks for the heads up Andy. I don't have 4 wheel drive and I don't have a sled or wheeler so it looks like I'm back to walking and pulling my portable unless I tag along with somebody who has 4 wheel drive!!

• 2 weeks later...

How is the navigation on the lakes after the last dumping of snow and the wind right after?

I have finally got some time to go chase some fish.

I would prefer to catch some sunnies or perch.

More looking for driving and ice conditions than a fishing report.

Able to go today, so I was taken down to North Lake by Red Wing and luckily one friend brought some sleds, cause the ice was definitely thick enough, but there was no driving trucks with the snow and drifts.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Did pretty good on the nice sunfish and crappies yesterday evening on sheilds lake had to weed through a few . But took home a nice meal .. look for a big pile of plowed snow with a fish house in it dead center of the lake and your there ...good luck !

Did pretty good on the nice sunfish and crappies yesterday evening on sheilds lake had to weed through a few . But took home a nice meal .. look for a big pile of plowed snow with a fish house in it dead center of the lake and your there ...good luck !

Lucky,

Tried your spot did well on the Big sun fish.. Thanks for the tip!!!!

Will take a look this week when my schedule from complicated school schedule permits. Thanks, lucky!

Had a tough time on Washington today lots of lookers and only 1 crappie bent the rod over tried 20-30' missed a big mark at 2pm. Wind was not in my favor today was tough moving around. Meet a fellow h.s.o member so that was nice.

Dan,

I would have to blame it on Josh!! LOL..

It was a tough bite all over, the three buddies that were on different lake all reported the same as you did..

Weather is looking up for some Run and Gun tactic's this weekend!!!

I was out on Fountain lake in Albert lea last weekend. Was cold and windy. only get get a few to commit. Had to use a spring bobber to detect the bit even though they were good size fish. Just very hard to get them to bite.

• 2 weeks later...

Had an awesome day fishing today. Started on Shields this morning solo, and crushed the sunnies. Biggest being 9.25. Pound for pound...best fighting fish! Fish quit biting around noon.

Waxies and plastics is all they would take.

Went home and grabbed my 12 yr old son. Headed twards Mankato and hit Lake X, from a tip a few buddies have been doing well in the shallows. We caught over 30 fish in an hour and a half. My kid kicked my butt and must have had 20 of em. It was epic! He was all smiles!

Again, waxies and plastics.

Start thinking shallower now as fish are moving to pre-spawn areas. Might have 34" of ice and cold temps...but the fish don't know. They are gearing up for the spawn!

full-18476-42905-d.jpg

full-18476-42906-tank.jpg

full-18476-42908-fish.jpg

Quote:
Start thinking shallower now as fish are moving to pre-spawn areas. Might have 34" of ice and cold temps...but the fish don't know. They are gearing up for the spawn!

+1 I found some awesome non-stop action on some really big sunnies this past weekend in 8-9 FOW!

Holy cow the shallow water bite is ON! Plastics, plastics and more plastics. The crappies and gills are going crazy all day long in 3 FOW. (that's 3 FOW under the 3 ft of ice.)

Get aggressive with them.

full-18476-43037-1922011_489515484504500

Here is a dandy 10"er.

Go get em!

I hit 3 different lakes today and never even saw another person... or a fish! It sure was nice out though.

Was nice to be out on the lake today and not listing to generator's the fishing was also pretty good considering the over cast skies. There were a couple others enjoying the space as well.

I was out last Sunday on Clear lake in Waseca. Was out from 3-6 pm. Caught about a dozen panfish 9-10 fow. Mostly Sunnies with a few crappie. All small fish. Never fished that lake before. Must be pretty fished out?

Fished a little out on Cedar yesterday at the GTG. Fish seemed to be "high flyers" about 5 to 8 ft under the ice. Would come in good and follow my jig but not too many takers. It's pretty tough getting around out there now. Lots of snow and you pretty much have to stick to packed roads or you more than likely will get stuck. I'm guessing with the melting the next few days it's going to get messy too!