• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

was out flying solo again yesterday from 11 to 1:30. once again the panfish were slamming the plastics. So much fun when you don't need to stop to add bait. Probably landed 40 fish, a mix if gills and crappies, in the short outing and they were not slowing down when I had to leave. This warm swing is doing wonders for our fishing action and is going to hang around for a while from the looks of it. Get out there and catch them IN LARGE NUMBERS while you can. Just remember to only keep what you may eat so the fishery you are on will stay as good as some of them are, and others can enjoy the fun for the years to come.

I'm heading out again today with a friend of the family's that is here from Italy, and has never been on the ice before. This should be a blast to watch him battle with the little bruisers one after another. hopefully by days end we will have some good keepers so i can give him one of my favorite true "american meals".

Nate you've written a lot about using plastics and I've tried some cheap plastics I got in a kit, but never did well with them. It seems like people are doing well on plastics.

I'd like to try plastics this weekend, what would you recommend I pick up? I've read about both Gulp and Munchies, but I really don't know much about the artificials so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Tom

Nate you've written a lot about using plastics and I've tried some cheap plastics I got in a kit, but never did well with them. It seems like people are doing well on plastics.

I'd like to try plastics this weekend, what would you recommend I pick up? I've read about both Gulp and Munchies, but I really don't know much about the artificials so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Tom

Norhtland Makes some good stuff.

Fished Madison twice and never caught a fish. Moved the house to a different lake and getting sunnies and crappies in 9ft. Finally found some fish.

I hear ya! Three times out, hit two lakes, three depths = 16 hours total, haven't brought a fish up yet. But we'll keep trying. L2f

Hey HARLEY K50

Try the gulp maggots I have have my best fishing thru the ice this year with these I was out in faribault the other day and my 2 buddies laughed when I said I was putting one on until I caught 2 nice gills and a small crappie in the first 15 minutes of dropping it down. Havent found much size anywhere I have went so far but I have had by far the most of my catches on the maggots hope this helps

I agree with the small sizes, today I hit a lake outside Faribault, I had marked on the GPS, but even though the flasher was marking a lot of fish they were both small and finicky.

Bites were light from the biggest gills & crappies and a small dead minnow laying on the bottom would trigger larger perch.

I looked at Gulp minnows and "gulped" at the price and opted for rainbow euros and did just fine.

I fished only one hole since all the others I drilled were the dead sea, but I was also a good 300 yds from everyone else. I was thinking about joining 'em, but it looked like most were playing football or chasing their dogs. I left when things slowed down, but I kept wondering why was everyone so far south, were they catching fish or were they just joining the crowd?

Tough choice, join the crowd or stay at a hole with a flasher full of fish that keep coming up small, and hoping for bigger ones to bite? What would you do, join the crowd or stay with a flasher full of fish?

Went to Roberts Friday and caught some perch in about 15'. Friend of mine went to Washington and said he caught some crappies but he also said he had to drill alot of holes to find them.

I can't seem to keep the slough sharks off my line. I have been getting them all on little froste or forage minnow spoons with a minnow head I have been lucky to not have any break off yet and I even got a pig 35"er. I have been fishing 6-11 fow.

Nice fish KTapper that would be a blast to battle a 35"er for awhile. Did you catch the fish on Washington or German?

Nice fish KTapper that would be a blast to battle a 35"er for awhile. Did you catch the fish on Washington or German?

Neither of those lakes.

Anyone catching any northern pike on Mazaska, Shields, or Circle? I'm thinking about going out on Sunday.

Thanks

Novy898

I dont come on here bragging about good bites, but I will tell you not to waste your time on west jeff right now.

It shut off a few days ago. few crappie left, but they aren't very hungry. (this is only the front bay of course)

Trying to help out all the other dads taking their kids fishing.

That's a pretty thoughtful approach, thanks. I know people are pretty touchy about revealing where there is a good bite going ( & for good reason), but it is just as helpful for a report to eliminate unproductive water. I don't get out real often & when I do I know that when I do it's a shot in the dark & so far have come up pretty empty. But unless you're lucky or "in the know" the odds aren't great, but that's fishing. Thanks again!

L2f

I would have to disagree on the bite on West Jeff. I caught quite a few sunnies and crappies there on tuesday. And went back out wednesday and took home 8 crappies. Put a few back down the hold. I would look to stay away from the crowd in 10 to 15ft of water, and drill holes until you find fish stacked on the bottom. Swith colors and lures until you find what they want. Quick tip, tuesday they were hammering baitless plasitcs, wednesday the crappies needed minnows.

got out yesterday to move my buddies house to a more productive spot that was hopefully not as wet. Met a fellow FMer out there and chatted for an hour or so. Turns out he'd been fishing near me for a while and I didn't even know it, just shows what a good thing it is to go make some small talk with your neighbors on the lake. Drilled some holes on an old way point and fish were everywhere on the vex. Pulled the shack right on top of them with ease. Saw my new buddy was getting ready to pack up and i gave him the tip of the day "hey, before you leave come check this out". Turns out he likes slamming panfish too. We proceeded to fill his pail with a limit of very nice sunfish in about a half hour. Then he stuck around and kept catching them despite the numerous calls from his wife on the cell. Finally he had to take off, but only with a great meal for his family and a big smile on his face. I kept at it in the shack and C&R about another 20 nice fish. not a lot of small ones in the mix, mostly 7-9 inches with a few big bruisers in the mix. Lots of fun when they're hitting it on the drop every time and ya only have to use plastics. I think I may have turned someone else onto the plastic revolution. These baits are working great right now, just be confident in how you are presenting them. 30' of water, chartreuse was the ticket.

I dont come on here bragging about good bites, but I will tell you not to waste your time on west jeff right now.

It shut off a few days ago. few crappie left, but they aren't very hungry. (this is only the front bay of course)

Trying to help out all the other dads taking their kids fishing.

I don't know I was there saturday at 12:00 and pounded till I left drill some holes and stay mobile vjust a tip

got out yesterday to move my buddies house to a more productive spot that was hopefully not as wet. Met a fellow FMer out there and chatted for an hour or so. Turns out he'd been fishing near me for a while and I didn't even know it, just shows what a good thing it is to go make some small talk with your neighbors on the lake. Drilled some holes on an old way point and fish were everywhere on the vex. Pulled the shack right on top of them with ease. Saw my new buddy was getting ready to pack up and i gave him the tip of the day "hey, before you leave come check this out". Turns out he likes slamming panfish too. We proceeded to fill his pail with a limit of very nice sunfish in about a half hour. Then he stuck around and kept catching them despite the numerous calls from his wife on the cell. Finally he had to take off, but only with a great meal for his family and a big smile on his face. I kept at it in the shack and C&R about another 20 nice fish. not a lot of small ones in the mix, mostly 7-9 inches with a few big bruisers in the mix. Lots of fun when they're hitting it on the drop every time and ya only have to use plastics. I think I may have turned someone else onto the plastic revolution. These baits are working great right now, just be confident in how you are presenting them. 30' of water, chartreuse was the ticket.

No Bate it was a blast and nice fishing with you. Good to see young people out enjoying the outdoors. Guess what i had for dinner tonight???? Our catch was terrific. Family loved em.

You made me a believer in the plastics we used.. Know more storing WW and SW.

Sure was fun slammin pans in that deep of water. I hope to get out again Friday afternoon. I spoke to guys at work that fished anotehr local lake and they also had great fishing. Could also have had something to do with the cold fron comming??

TOO BAD FOR THE VIKES!!!!! You told me that would win. PS the wife was sure happy as she at our catch tonight!!!

OK Nate I'm ready for the conversion, since my euros' all pupated in the fridge last night. I tried some plastics I had in the box, wedgies and other things I'm not sure of the names. I even tried soaking them in fish oil before going out to give them some scent. All the fish I caught were little guys and the larger gills and perch hit the euros.

So, I'd like to learn since there are times when I get to fish it's last minute and I'd like to have some productive plastics so i don't have to go outta my way to get bait. What would you recommend buy something off the shelf or order from some of the online sources?

If you like, shoot me an email at [email protected], I'd be interested in any sermon for conversion!

crappiekid, it sure was a blast. Glad to hear you got to enjoy those fish right away, i bet they were delicious. i went back out today from 11-1 and the bite was still on. even picked up a few nice crappies out of the mix, which was nice. hope they're still going hard if ya get out there on friday. lets just keep ourselves more tight lipped than the fish were about that spot. It's nice not having another house within a hundred yards of a hot spot. sure was tough getting out there today with all the drifts though.

hats off to the few who braved the elements in their portables today. didn't look easy at all.

Thats great that you guys were able to still find fish! I was maybe at the wrong place then for all those days. The bite was non stop for so long in a lot of places, then shut off for most. I know this because I experienced it, and within about 3 days 20-30 permanents bolted out of there.

Its just tough to run and gun when you have little kids. Maybe I'll try deeper water. I like the lake, cause its close to st.peter where I live, and the summer fishing is never this good for panfish.

Good luck all.

Hey, no, i'm not trying to follow your spots, i am just curious if you were the one who stopped and offered me a tow if i needed it up a slick ramp with me wheel house, then ended up following me out to another area lake... to make it more discrete i drive a gold ford half ton with a camper house... clean cut carpentry in the back window...

nope, i'm sporting a dirty dodge. I was drift busting today on the way to the house which was kinda fun. but not as fun as the action once i got there. the gills were out of control again with a few crappies mixed in. ya really had to make the crappies chase it up today, sometimes more than 10 ft. another good day of C&R, feel free to follow me if ya find me, the fishing has been real good, 30' of water, PLASTICS were on..

felt bad today on the way out i saw someone on the other side of the lake buried in a ford pickup that was shoveling their butt off to hopefully get out. couldn't go over to help out because it would have been a bad decision on my part after a bad decision on his. sorry to whomever it was and hope they got out eventually. make smart decisions when driving on the lakes after this last storm!!

Yep I got pulled out by a Chevy! Driving the plowed road out to deeper water. Road was drifted over and got very slushy. Nice guy pulled me out just as Bunt arrived to pull us both out. Didn't even get to wet a line.... frown

got out yesterday and the fish were active again. after i got my friends truck pulled out of course. lots of gills to be had with a few nice ones my buddy could keep. the crappies were pretty touchy but there was some very nice size to them. chartruese plastics were working excellent along with tiny glow jigs and minnows. a few of the big gills pounded the minnows we had down which was kind of suprising.

got to meet and fish with a few other guys which was cool. Kyle, you'll have to hit me up next time your going out, and i'll definitely pull your truck out next time for sure! next time i'll make sure to have more brews...

travel is pretty easy on the lakes if you blaze your own trail and stay off the previously plowed roads.