• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Leech Lake Fishing Reports - Hackensack, Longville, Walker MN Also

Try Sand point (south side). Only 10 min. trip for you and no big water. Put someone on a jig and another on a lindy. You will do fine. Dusk is a good time to try. You don't need waypoints or maps.

Hi DDS,

Being unfamiliar with the area, I do not know where Sand Point is. That is the main reason I was looking for a map, to show the land features like Sand Point, Pine Point, Goose Island, etc. Are these areas easy to locate for a Leech Lake rookie?

One other question, we are staying at Arneson's Cove on the southwest end of Steamboat Bay. How long of a boat ride are we talking to Sand Point from there? Normally we would use my Father in-law's Lund with 100 HP Merc. But his motor isn't running very well currently so we are renting one of their boats with 40 HP. Thus, we don't have the option of docking at a closer ramp. We have to run out of their marina.

Any help is very much appreciated!!

Reeds sporting goods in Walker has maps and can give you latest info. Maps show all the points, islands and reefs.

It is a big darn lake, i thought when i was there i would check out all the different areas. I ended up staying within 5 miles of the resort most days jsut because i did not feel like boating across the whole lake. there are some great places on that side of the lake. i got my maps at reeds, ordered online so i could check them out before i went. good luck

I've got to say, this Website is a Godsend. It had helped me tremendously to learn all about Lake of the Woods thanks to the great people who visit this site and are willing to share at least the basic information. I'm seeing the same generosity under the Leech Lake posts. I thank all of you. I will be sure to post how my trip goes in July and what worked best for us.

Thanks to everyone who are willing to help us newbies to any particular lake.

Lakers

How long of a boat ride are we talking to Sand Point from there?

Once you leave Moonlight Bay dock, get the boat up on plane and look to the south (right) that's Sand Point. Go around to the East end and cut back to the West. Start fishing. You can see your dock from there.

Sand Point is also a popular family beach. Lots of fun!

Looking for campgrounds near some good fishing areas on leech heading up late July. Tks Tim

Tim, I would look at Stony Point campground. I believe it is ran by the forest service. You are right on the water and real close to some great fishing.

Thanks alot sounds like its been good up there kids are ready to go now!!

Greetings LaPorte,

Thanks for the tip. I was able to pinpoint the Sand Point area. Now I don't have to spend the money on the Lakemaster map. All I was looking for were some of the land features, and I am now educated as to where Sand Point, The Narrows, Squaw Point, Cedar Point, etc., are in relation to Walker Bay. Your tip about launching from Moonlight Bay helped me narrow it down. So again, thanks a bunch!!

Lakers

Debating between Leech or Vermillion this weekend. We were up on Leech two weeks ago and did very well on eye's off of stoney point. Durring the day we found big fish in about 18FOW then at night they seemed to move up to about 15FOW. Jig/minnow durring the day and rapala trolling at night seemed to work good for us. Caught many fish in the 20 to 24 inch range plus our limit of keepers. Whats the luck been like the past few days on Leech??

Oh and if anyone knows what the surface tempurature on Leech now?

Going up to leech for the fourth, just wondering if anyone has any good tips on where the eyes might be biting, the outdoor news suggests the 18-22 ft humps in Walker Bay, and first and second duck, but you can trust the outdoor news apart as far as you can throw it.

Lindy Rig and I (and wives) just got back last night from a 4 day trip to Leech. We ended up getting a number of slot fish 18-26" and our limit of keepers to boot. We ended up boating two 26" eye's over the weekend, one caught by Lindy Rigs' wife (her biggest eye to date!). Fishing was good but was consistently slow picking up one here and one there throughout the day with the numbers adding up by the end of day....never really seemed to hit them back to back really quickly. The majority of our time up there was spent pulling cranks (mostly shad raps) and most fish we boated from around 9'-13' FOW.....although we did get a few live bait rigging with leeches also.

The weather certainly didn't help the fishing this past weekend. Our best action was Saturday around noon when it was partly sunny and breezy, after that the wind picked up considerably (20-30 mph with 40 mph gusts) and it cooled down a good amount. The wind just never seemed to quit or even slow down for the entire time we were up there. We also saw some rain and at times it was coming down hard. The mayflys are hatching also so that certainly did not help anything.

We spent the majority of our time in the areas around Goose island and the Hardwood points, but did spend an hour or two around Stoney Point getting blown around good....boating one box fish there in the couple hours we were there. We saw water temps as high as 72-73* at times and with the colder weather Sunday-Monday we saw them around 69-70*. It was pretty windy up there all weekend.....it would just not stop.

Yep, pretty good fishing considering the cold front and bug hatch combined. Still have to get a couple of those pics from ya grin

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from a week at Leech and the fishing was good despite the cold weather and monsoon winds. Had the best luck drifting a jig and leech in 6-10 fow across big flats in portage bay. Rocks produced some fish, but the flats produced the most. Larger fish were found out deeper 8-10 fow and the keepers were in a little shallower 6-8 fow. Fish seemed to be holding on the down wind side of the sand bars as they got deeper. Also had some good luck trolling cranks after dark in the same depths but didn't get any fish under 18" while doing so but it was fun none the less. The lake is infested with 20-24" eyes, it's a good problem to have!

They seemed to favor a darker green with some orange, or all orange, I wonder why (perch and crayfish colors). Here's a picture of my boys first eye of the year in some pretty rough weather he battled for 8 hours that day. He got 6 nice eyes all by himself and outfished his old man.

eastonfirsteyeof2009.jpg

Nice job Peter. Looks like you got quite the little fisherman there!

That weather looks a little ugly but that smile looks genuine for sure. He will probably grow up to be that guy in the Ugly Stick commercial where the wife jamms the rod in the trash compacter and he pulls it out and out the door he goes smile

We are heading up in 3 weeks for 5 days and will be fishing Portage. I cant wait!

I am heading to Leech in the morning for a week. I can hardly wait to get on the water. Staying at Anderson's Spirit of the North.

This is a little late , but we were up july 16-19 out of stoney and caught a lot of nice big fish, even though we had that big cold front and 30 mph winds, you could surf off those big rollers, we managed to bring home our limit over the three days fishing,i hope they are still thinning out the commorants,seen a lot of them!

He sure loves to fish, we got back from Leech Saturday the 18th and on Tuesday he was all over me about taking him out again, but to pull cranks after dark. Then he bugged me again on Friday, but took him out Saturday and got into a mess of crappies. He did catch his first bass and even wanted to kiss it smile

hit ottertail point this morning - 15 fish in 3 hrs on leech and crawler lindy rigs...4 keepers, 1 - 24" slot fish, and 10 cigars

8/7

Rained out. If alone or with the guys I'm sure we would have headed out, but the wife didn't want to get soaked so we stayed in. Had dinner, beer, hit the hot-tub, and built a fire in our room it was rough grin

8/8

Pretty gray and soupy start to the day so we took a leisure start. We did manage a 26" fish off of Grassy Point (near Horseshoe Bay) which was a nice way to start. Fished the afternoon/evening in various locations around Goose Isl. Caught a 22", 2 keepers, 2 throw-backs, couple northern, a bunch of perch, and had a line-break. Mostly trolling cranks but we did have some action on spinners/crawlers too. Best depth for us was 14-16'.

8/9

Had a good morning. 5 walleyes and lots of perch. One 21", 3 keepers, one cigar. Nice to finally see peeks of sun. Also a huge groups of sailboats crossing the lake was kind of cool to see.

26 inch

GrandVu2009005.jpg

21 inch

GrandVu2009012.jpg

one of the box fish

GrandVu2009013.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I just got back today, 9/10.

We got out butts handed to us. Fished Federal area, 5 Mile and Two Points. The weather was great. Nice breeze on Tuesday but calm Wedneday and this morning.

We jigged um and cranked um. 6 walleyes--5 over 18". Did catch a lot of perch.

Beautifull fall weather; maybe too nice.

tweed