• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Leech Lake Fishing Reports - Hackensack, Longville, Walker MN Also

No wind makes fishing Leech tuff. We only had luck at dark w/ Raples got 2 walleyes. Will be here for a couple more days hope to have better luck.

Spent 3 days on Leech Sat, Sun, Mon, leave Tuesday not sure if I will fish the am or not. Only keepers we got was from 8-830pm trolling raps #5 perch color 10-12 ft of water. It was amazing fished everywhere and everyone pretty much said the same. Weather was 80 degrees and no wind very sunny. Not ideal conditions for mid Sept but at least we got to fish as there has been many times I have come up here and spent more time in the cabin than in the boat. So I would recommend trolling raps for at least 30 min in the dark which is close to 7:50pm now and it got dark but we had our best luck then.

anyone doing ant good on muskies up there?I'm going up for a 3 day weekend wondering if anyone could give me a starting point

Lindy Rig and I were just up there Saturday afternoon though Monday around noon with a buddy of ours that has a place up there. Pretty much were on the water the entire time we were there other than from 10pm-7am, and an hour or two during the Vikes game.

We ended up with around 25 eye's, with Saturday afternoon and early night being good as well as Sunday morning before around 11:00 am. Sunday afternoon/night were pretty slow for us. Monday morning was ok with a few fish being boated as well. We ended up with around 6 under 14" that we let go, 12 that were keepable, and a number of them that were in the slot. Also a 27.5" that was released.

We pulled cranks 100% of the time, mostly #7 Shads in 11-15 FOW. We fished a number of mid-lake reefs/flats areas, and did little to no shoreline or point fishing. Trolling speeds were from 2.5mph-3.5mph.

I also got the chance to use the fishing line hook extraction method for the first time. I'm happy to say it worked well. If you have not watched the video on this.....I would advise it. Never thought it would happen to me until this 24" eye decided to hook me with a #7 shad!! Had I not watched that video things coule have been much more painful shocked

I was up on Leech last weekend with my 5 year old, we didn't run into very many eyes but the crappies were on fire. We did troll cranks Friday and Saturday night, on Friday my boy got his biggest eye to date, a nice fat 26.5". We got into some nice slabs, with 5 of them going 14" and 1.75lbs. Got another dozen or so in the 1.5lb range and the average size was about 12" and 1lb. We got about 80 of them in around 10 hours of fishing Saturday, and Sunday til 1pm. Some pics below. Hope to get up again in early October.

265walleye.jpg

p1010002dj.jpg

Going up to Leech on Friday the 25th for the weekend hoping for some pointer on the lake. I will be staying at Big Rock Resort on the southwest side. Probably going to try a little of everything i.e. trolling, drifting if possible, jig and minnow. Going to try Goose Flats, the stony points and a few other areas of interest. Any other helpful hints would be appreciated.

Stick style baits have worked best for me, size 9-11, something with gold, orange, or both. 5-10 fow after dark would be a good place to start.

Hemi311-

Thanks for the info. Your diagram explains it pretty well. Hopefully, I won't have to use it. But good to know just in case.

Thor

Heading up Sat nite, fishing til tuesday afternoon. Will be staying at pikesdale lodge on the s.e corner. Probably fishing bear and mid lake reefs and such for eyes, anyone want to give some areas for the crappies not cords but general areas. Will be in a warrior with a opti, if you see us say hello. Will be my wife and I. Hope to get her on some decent fishing.

• 2 months later...

I had some ice in the bottom of my glass last night grin does that count? I bet it's a week away yet for safe ice.

Going to the cabin this week end, will post what I see next week.

• 2 weeks later...

We fished leech yesterday in the morning,there is about 7 inches of good ice in the southeast corner of the lake.We walked out anyway since it was the first trip of the year.The walleyes were tough to get to bite,one 14 and one lost at the hole but the perch bit pretty steady after the sun came up we did manage some decent eaters.Fished from 6:30-11.The lake was packing ice on heavy.At one point later in the morning it didnt stop making noise for 45 minutes.

Talked to a guy checking the ice today. 12 inches heading toward Sand Point. Guess there was a couple people that drove out there, but I wouldn't recommend that yet. 9 inches in Walker Bay.

Should be good this weekend. Rentals are going start putting houses out tomorrow.

Went out of Stony Point access on Saturday morning (fishing by 7:00 AM) in about 16 1/2 feet of water. approximately 14 inches of ice, nice and clear. Very little snow. Slick ice. Fished about 3 hours. One walleye 13.5", one cigar size, one nice jumbo perch, two small perch. Not good. Went out yesterday afternoon for the evening bite. Not good. Fished from 2:30 to about 5:30. No walleyes. One perch. Check others around me, not good. May have just been a bad day. However, lots of good ice and no heaves to speak of. I don't know what it is like over by Grand View. I believe Walker Bay has 9 - 10 inches of ice.

Was out Friday and Saturday. Perch fishing slow, but got enough for a meal. Tulibees were biting but we weren't targeting them so we moved whenever we found them. More walleyes than a guy could count in the evenings, but most were very, very small. Should be awesome fishing in a few years when they grow up!

I've read a bunch of posts here and cannot determine if there are plowed roads with truck traffic or is travel limited to ATVs/sleds, etc.? Can I pull my wheelhouse out with a the truck or must I use the ATV? Anyone willing to recommend an access point/resort with a decent road/access?

Thanks!!!

There are, for the most part, no plowed roads on Leech. There might be one or two on Walker Bay but I wouldn't count on it. After this snow, you are basically looking at snowmobile travel only. At least in the parts I was fishing.

Grand Vu Lodge on Pine Point has roads plowed out quite a ways and there are guys starting to carve branches off of the main roads. $6 a day or they have a winter pass for $50 I think is the price. IF you go off of the roads a wheeler with chains or a truck, chains are nice. Not too much slush yet, a few inches of water after you drill holes.

• 2 weeks later...

Plowed roads on the main lake are accessable through The Shores on Pine Point. It's $10 a day or $100 for the season. These guys will take care of you. There was even a mention of them in the Walker paper.