• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Joe

Leech Lake Fishing Reports - Hackensack, Longville, Walker MN Also

Joe

icon_rss.gif - Subscribe to this fishing report. smile

Go ahead and post your Leech Lake fishing reports and conditions in this thread. Hackensack, Longville, Walker MN area fishing reports also.

Questions welcome too.

Fishing Reports by the TOP Leech Lake Guides, Charter Captains & Resorts are in here.

full-2-27498-leech.jpg

Lot's of good info and our best members posting below already. Newer Reports are on pages that follow.

Be sure to give back and share your fishing reports here as well smile

Thanks.

tweeder

I ended up going up and found some perch. Tried Walker Bay but the fear of being stuck in slush or having the sleds freeze up we limited ourselves to a few stops and did not find the walleyes we hoped for.

We did the best out by Grand Vu and Goose Island. Lots of perch but nothing really jumbo you like to see after a 3 hour drive up there! Green jigs with fatheads produced the most fish, but not the best size.

Truck travel was very very limited, sleds were the way to go.

Anyone find any piggie perch?

Crappie Kutch

Is nobody fishing up here????

backroad1313

i have not been out for a couple of weeks!!!! but some of my buddys made it up there last sat. they went out of grand vu in the morning and early after noon. Caught a few small perch. then they headed to walker bay for the rest of the afternoon and hammerd the eyes.

Joe

Anyone been after the crappies on any smaller lakes in the area?

swanbait

Just starting to get out. It has been tough to get out and when you do who wants to stand in slush when it is -20?? Most of the slush is gone, a little water comes up when you drill holes. There have been a few locals taking waxies and crappie minnows with them now instead of fatheads and shiners. Leech has been doing so well with the 'eyes and Perch that most are going there. There are roads plowed and it makes it easy to get around. I suspect this weekend will get the panfishing jump started.

motley man

Was on leech Thursday. Caught 8 perch per 3 people. Roads only went out 3/4 mile out of grand vu. There was 1/2 dozen group's out and none did !!!!!!!!!!!!. D.N.R. checked us and said that it has been slow all over the area. Only snowmobile travel out farther, and they did not do well. I think you will have to really travel & work to get fish out on main basin.

lungdeflator

Whats the latest on the perch bite? I heard some reports of jumbos coming out.

mad 4 fishing

Was up there this last weekend.There were 5 of us.On Friday we found them in 27 feet of water.Best lure was a small orange and green cast master with a minnow head.Ended up with 65 between 11 and 14 inchs.We were out there from 9:30 till 6:00. Best bite was from 4:00 till 5:30.We were between Pine and Stony north of the group of brown fish houses probably a 1/4 mile.If you were not getting bites tap the bottom a couple of times and let it rest on the bottom for a couple of seconds.When you lifted it up slowly they would nail it hard. Saturday was another story.We caught 45. Travel on the lake was good just had to slow down when crossing old tracks.About lost my front teeth when I hit the one just a little hard.

Good luck out there.Just remember it take a big dog to pee in a high bush.

skinman

Zero Degree Ice guys were up there last weekend. Had a great time and found the jumbo perch. 10 to 13 inchers. Tried goose and that was a waste of time. Caught nice perch over by roosevelt. Used the GNG to glow our jigs during light hours and then towards the night. Worked well. Wax worms and larve. What a great weekend.

ZDIT

poolplayin

3 of us were up on boy lake on sat, did very well. We all got our 20 sunfish, real nice ones too. Bigger ones seemed to bite after 2 or so. got a few bonus crappies as well, couple 14.5 inchers, and a few jumbo perch. pretty good day of jiggin.

The Thompsons

I was out this weeekend with my kids and did pretty well. We took our 20 perch, all 10-12 inches. Did some crappie fihing as well and took 20 of those as well. Everyone I spoke with said they were getting fish. They are not neccesarrily jumping into the pail, but I know my kids and I had a blast.

thesecret

I am heading to leech for the opener for the first time since 2002. I am staying on Minnesota Island and am wondering where the best place would be to find some eyes. Thanks

ddsbyday

Hit the mounds on the east shore of Steamboat. You can't miss it. Plenty of boats will be there.

chasineyes

The mounds. That's too close to the landing, I always thought you had to run to the other end of the lake, like boy bay or federal dam?? crylaugh

Cast A Way

The Mounds is good. Also, Pine Point and the flats east of Goose. There will also be boats off Little Hardwood near the meadows in Sucker Bay.

thesecret

that sounds great, Have you guys fished leech the past few years, is the walleye fishing getting better. we are heading up on friday mornin hoping to catch a few crappies for dinner.

thesecret

do you have better luck in the mornin or evenin. What do you suggest using for bait.

LakeDocktor

Last year, throughout the lake, the bite was more of a typical day bite. I had some of my better days from 10-1. I would use the smallest jig possible tipped with a shiner for early season fish or a #5 Shad Rap. I have had some pretty decent evening bites though as well. FISH THE WIND!!!! Especially if there has been a consistant wind for a couple of days, those fish will be stacked up on the windy side of the structure. If the wind switches from the day before, a few fish my still be hanging around the opposite side of the windy structure. Either way, use electronics and look for fish and more importantly, baitfish. Good Luck!

thesecret

thanks lake doctor. the last few years we where up there, as im sure you know the fishin was terrible. we really love it up there and enjoy the town and the lake. we would really love to catch some nice fish so thanks for the help.

Schaef

It's getting close! I'm feeling the itch!! crazy

LakeDocktor

I would have that itch checked out. You might have the swine flu!

Schaef

Maybe I could put something on my boat. "Swine Flu???" Cough!! Cough!! Clear Away!! sick

LakeDocktor

Paint it black and yellow and put strobe lights on it! You could put green food coloring in the water around you. Make sure you wear a hazmat suit as well. I bet you would have the whole lake to yourself.

Joe

How is the ice looking on the main lake and walker bay?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Wheezy Outdoors
      By Wheezy Outdoors
      The sweltering heat, high humidity values, and intermittent thunderstorms have certainly provided some challenges for anglers but even as we enter the dogdays of summer the fish are still on the chow!
      As we all know there is never any shortage of action when one sets out to target Bass. Smallmouth Bass can be found along the deep weed lines, rocks, and sunken humps. Try using a Drop-Shot Rig tipped with a Leech. Largemouth on the other hand can be found working the weeds inside and outside the lines using Tubes, Spinner Baits, and Carolina Rigs. In the early morning, try working docks, shoreline structure and swimming platforms next to sharp drop-offs.
      Of course, usually by this time of year we have shifted our focus to chasing Large Slab Crappies. The weed beds are holding large numbers of both Crappies and Sunfish. Pay especially close attention to the cabbage along deeper drop-offs. Slip-Bobbers using live bait or plastics, Small Swim Baits, Spinners, Beetle Spins are all working well, these buggers have been hungry!!
      The Walleye bite is also one that has yet to relinquish to the torrid, humid conditions. A lot of techniques have still been producing good numbers of fish. Anything from pulling Spinners in the weeds, Lindy Rigs, Slip-Bobbers, jigs tipped with Leeches, Crawlers or Chubs… Cranks, Shiver Minnows and the list goes on!! It really is Dealer’s Choice it seems, trolling Cranks on the mid-lake flats has been best toward the evening hours until after dark, Spinners have been enticing them during the mid-day, as well as jigging raps for the walleye found out over the deep structure.
      -Cheers!
      Alice Wiese
      Wheezy Outdoors
      218-275-7525

• Wheezy Outdoors
      By Wheezy Outdoors
      The sweltering heat, high humidity values, and intermittent thunderstorms have certainly provided some challenges for anglers but even as we enter the dogdays of summer the fish are still on the chow!
      As we all know there is never any shortage of action when one sets out to target Bass. Smallmouth Bass can be found along the deep weed lines, rocks, and sunken humps. Try using a Drop-Shot Rig tipped with a Leech. Largemouth on the other hand can be found working the weeds inside and outside the lines using Tubes, Spinner Baits, and Carolina Rigs. In the early morning, try working docks, shoreline structure and swimming platforms next to sharp drop-offs.
      Of course, usually by this time of year we have shifted our focus to chasing Large Slab Crappies. The weed beds are holding large numbers of both Crappies and Sunfish. Pay especially close attention to the cabbage along deeper drop-offs. Slip-Bobbers using live bait or plastics, Small Swim Baits, Spinners, Beetle Spins are all working well, these buggers have been hungry!!
      The Walleye bite is also one that has yet to relinquish to the torrid, humid conditions. A lot of techniques have still been producing good numbers of fish. Anything from pulling Spinners in the weeds, Lindy Rigs, Slip-Bobbers, jigs tipped with Leeches, Crawlers or Chubs… Cranks, Shiver Minnows and the list goes on!! It really is Dealer’s Choice it seems, trolling Cranks on the mid-lake flats has been best toward the evening hours until after dark, Spinners have been enticing them during the mid-day, as well as jigging raps for the walleye found out over the deep structure.
      -Cheers!
      Alice Wiese
      Wheezy Outdoors
      218-275-7525

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

Water temps in the Northwest Angle are varying between 55 degrees and 59 in shallower areas.

In Minnesota, the bite has been very good. Big fish have been caught trolling crank baits in less than 15 feet of water. Keeper size walleye are being found in 18-22 feet with orange and parakeet jigs and a minnow being the most preferred combo. We saw multiple fish over 28 inches this week!

The fish in Canada have been smacking pink and white, and parakeet jigs tipped with a shiner or minnow in 22-26 feet of water.  Aggressiveness has picked up with the rising temperatures. Anglers are reporting a good number of multi specie catches including crappie, perch, walleye, sauger, bass and pike.

Open water season is just getting started and will only improve! 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Up here in the Northwest Angle lines are tight and fish are biting! Water temps are warmer in the shallows at 50-52 degrees to upper 40’s in the main lake.

Recent weather was not great but the fishing was. Some of the best action has been within a few miles of the lodge. Walleyes have been found anywhere from 3 to 30ft. 22-30ft with a jig and minnow is best during daylight hours. 

Multiple trophy walleye were caught this week including a couple 28’s and one 31 inch.  The bite off of the dock late evening is really heating up and will produce limits.

Come up soon to take advantage of great spring fishing! 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      We're still OPEN & fishing up at the NW Angle!
      Fishing on the Minnesota side continues to be best early morning and from sundown to dusk. Work deeper edges of the break line in the morning and afternoon, moving up to the flats and points for an evening flurry. With low pressure coming for the weekend expect fishing to be excellent.
      On the Ontario side, Crappie action was really good this past weekend in 30+ feet of water. Lots of fish over 14."
      Lake conditions have drastically improved as water making slush has receded below the ice or has frozen over in most areas. Caution should be used in areas of high current or between islands. 
      Hard water fishing ends April 15th!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Areas of slush on trails in Minnesota are refreezing overnight and are still in good condition if well-traveled.  Walleye action is getting better every day, with mornings and late evening being best.  Rippin’ raps and buckshots are enticing violent strikes; 18-22 ft of water is key. Big northern pike are hitting jiggin’ spoons and tip ups with large baits.

Anglers venturing into Canada continue to find schooled Crappies and big walleye deeper into 30+ feet. A slow presentation is most effective for catching crappies. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota snowmobile trail conditions are in good shape. The Baudette trail is great north of Knight Island. Walleye action heats up in periods of stable weather. The best catching is happening in 21-25ft, with the most productive method being a dead-stick beside an actively jigged rattle bait such as a buckshot or rippin’ rap. Glow white/pink is out producing other colors. The late ice bite can be phenomenal on Lake of the Woods, ice permitting we will have houses out through the end of the month!

Canadian fishing is recommended via snowmobile as they are light enough not to drop into the slush as easy as other track vehicles. Crappies are still filling buckets and walleye are actively feeding on reef break lines and points. Walleye season is open through April 14th. 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing is really starting to pick up, which usually means Spring is on the way! 

Fishing on the Minnesota side has been best at first and last light, which can make for long days on the ice this time of year.  The Sauger bite has really picked up with a lot good sized eaters coming out of 21-25 ft. The most effective colors for both Walleye and Sauger have been Chartreuse, White, any Glow/lighted/UV (specifically red) and hammered gold. When fishing at depths less than 20 feet, keep an active presentation. Northerns tend to be most active in the early afternoon which is a good time to take a break from jigging and put out a tip-up.

Fishing on the Canadian side has been good since the last snow storm and continues to produce Crappie and Walleye. A light setup for crappies with plastics or larvae has been productive.  

Slush is still frozen in well-traveled areas but it plentiful off trail.  

Fishing will continue to improve as the weather does, there is still a lot of time to fit in a last minute ice fishing trip!!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota Walleye can be found in 19-23ft early and late in the day.  Rattle baits will call these actively feeding fish to the hole.  Midday action is best adjacent to the break line at 25-29ft.  These fish are preferring a more subtle presentation such as a minnow and plain hook or a spoon with a whole minnow on a dead-stick.  It remains important to constantly re-charge glow baits to keep them productive in the deeper water. 

In Canada, walleye and crappie fishing is good in typical spots. Travel can become difficult in slushy areas, solo travel is not advised. Try to run on previous tracks laid as areas of slush will have frozen over night where machines have packed the trail.  We are no longer running day houses on the Canadian side, however now is your chance to bring snowmobiles, hire a local guide and limit out on the hot March bite! 

We are still offering 50% off mid-week lodging through March! (Sun-Wed nights)

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• PSU
      Excellent Skunked, I'll give them a call
    • SkunkedAgain
      PSU - call the boat graveyard in Shakopee, right next to Valley Fair. It's called Twin City Outboard. I once went in looking for a replacement lower unit for a 3hp 1957 Johnson Seahorse. I was happy when the guy said they had it. When I got there, the guy brought out a box of them so that I could look them over and get the right color! They've got a lot of boats too. Cool place to visit and look around.
    • Thorne Bros
      Our annual ice fishing kickoff event is a little over a month away!  We just want to make sure everyone gets it on their calendars!   This year's date is Saturday, September 28.  Held at our building in Blaine, MN.   We'll have seminars from Ice Team and Ice Force Pros, along with vendors showcasing all of the new products for the upcoming ice fishing season!   Oh, and AWESOME deals on everything you need to have a successful season!   We'll post more details as we get closer, but for now please mark your calendars for Saturday, September 28 and we'll see you there!!   Thanks for all of the support!!
    • Thorne Bros
      Our annual ice fishing kickoff event is a little over a month away!  We just want to make sure everyone gets it on their calendars!   This year's date is Saturday, September 28.  Held at our building in Blaine, MN.   We'll have seminars from Ice Team and Ice Force Pros, along with vendors showcasing all of the new products for the upcoming ice fishing season!   Oh, and AWESOME deals on everything you need to have a successful season!   We'll post more details as we get closer, but for now please mark your calendars for Saturday, September 28 and we'll see you there!!   Thanks for all of the support!!
    • Fish Head
      Trolling lead bite seems to be kicking in. Caught a nice limit of 17-19.5 last weekend. 
    • JBMasterAngler
      Few, if any muskies down there. You’d be better off either zipping up to Lake St. Croix or getting a WI license and fishing the Chippewa River. 
    • wbriner
      Has anybody been to Big Sand lately?  Any tips as I'll be there for a week (8/26-8/30) and have never fished the lake.    Thank you in Advance!
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is accepting comments through Sept. 18 on an environmental assessment worksheet for a proposed mountain bike trail development, consisting of two loops, in Crow Wing County. Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Crew proposes to construct a total of 11.40 miles of recreational trails, consisting of the Cuyuna Connection Trail Loop and the Cuyuna Hills Trail Loop. The trails are designed to be used for non-motorized recreation access including mountain biking, hiking, trail running, snowshoeing and cross-country skiing in the Cuyuna area. The EAW is available to review online at: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/input/environmentalreview/cuyunacrewmtbiketrails/index.html A hard copy may be requested by calling 651-259-5115 Additionally, the EAW is available for public review at: DNR Library, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155 DNR Northeast Region Headquarters, 1201 East Highway 2, Grand Rapids, MN 55744 Hennepin County – Minneapolis Central Library, Government Documents, Second Floor, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55401-1992 Kitchigami Regional Library, 212 Park Avenue, Pine River, MN 56474 Jessie F. Hallett Memorial Library, 101 1st Street SE, Crosby, MN 56641 Brainerd Public Library, 416 S. 5th St., Brainerd, MN 56401 The EAW notice was published in the August 19, 2019 EQB Monitor. Written comments on the EAW must be submitted no later than 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 18 to the attention of Cynthia Novak-Krebs, EAW Project Manager, Environmental Policy and Review Unit, DNR Division of Ecological and Water Resources, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155-4025. Electronic or email comments may be sent to [email protected] Please use “Cuyuna Connection EAW” in the subject line. Written comments may also be sent by fax to 651-296-1811. People who would like to receive a response that includes final documents should include their name and contact information. Because all comments and related information are part of the EAW public record, any submitted names and contact information will also be published and publicly available. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources invites the public to attend a meeting on Oct. 21 to review proposed changes to recreational trail systems in the Rum River State Forest and nearby state forest lands. The affected lands are in Mille Lacs and Morrison counties. The meeting will be from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Onamia Lions Community Center, 806 W. Kathio St., Onamia. Proposed changes include adding 5.9 miles of off-highway motorcycle, 5.1 miles of all-terrain vehicle (class one)/off-highway motorcycle and 1.1 miles of off-road vehicle. The draft proposals reflect feedback gathered during an open house in March 2018. The forest is classified as “limited” with respect to motor vehicle use, which means that OHVs may only use forest roads and trails that are posted open. The DNR does not propose changing the “limited” classification. The DNR invites people to attend the meeting to review maps of existing and proposed trails, discuss the DNR proposals, submit comments and suggest modifications to the proposed changes. The DNR will also accept written comments through 4:30 p.m. on Nov. 4. Comments received at the meeting and during the public comment period will be used to develop a final recommendation that will be submitted to the DNR Commissioner for approval. Changes to state forest trail designations must be made by Commissioner’s order and published in the State Register. Written comments may be submitted by fax to: 651-297-1157, by email to [email protected], or by mail to: Joe Unger, DNR Parks and Trails, 500 Lafayette Rd, St. Paul, MN 55155-4039. For more information, call: The DNR Division of Parks and Trails central office in St. Paul, 651-259-5279. The DNR Division of Parks and Trails area office in Sauk Rapids, 320-223-7861. Information is also available online at mndnr.gov Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is asking ruffed grouse hunters in northern Minnesota to voluntarily submit samples for a West Nile virus research project that the DNR is conducting. Researchers will test hunter-harvested birds for exposure and active infections of the disease. “We want to learn more about West Nile virus in ruffed grouse, because of concerns that it might be impacting the production of young birds, which make up a large portion of what hunters see in the fall,” said Charlotte Roy, grouse project leader with the Minnesota DNR. The adult grouse population has been cycling around a stable 10-year average. Minnesota is collaborating on this project with researchers in Wisconsin and Michigan. This is the second year of the study and results from the first year are expected from the lab early this fall. The research is partially funded by the Ruffed Grouse Society and the Game and Fish Fund. “Thank you to all our volunteers and hunters who help us collect these samples. Participation from hunters is critical to the success of the project,” Roy said. West Nile virus has been present in Minnesota since the early 2000s, and cases have been found in wild birds, people and other mammals. Birds vary in vulnerability to the virus. Some bird species recover quickly and become tolerant to the virus while others, such as blue jays and crows, suffer higher rates of mortality. A study in Pennsylvania indicated the virus could impact ruffed grouse populations when combined with habitat stresses. West Nile virus is carried by infected mosquitoes. Not all people or animals bitten by an infected mosquito will contract West Nile virus. There have been no documented cases of people contracting West Nile virus from consuming properly cooked meat. How to participate Hunters who would like to assist with the project will need to collect blood on filter paper strips within 30 minutes of harvest. They will also be asked to provide the birds’ hearts and few feathers for sex and age determination. Collection kits will be available for pickup at DNR area wildlife offices within ruffed grouse range after Labor Day on a first-come first-serve basis, and also at the regional DNR headquarters in Bemidji and Grand Rapids. Contact information for wildlife offices is available at mndnr.gov/areas/wildlife and hunters are encouraged to call before stopping. Information can also be found in the Hunting Regulations Book. This year, the Ruffed Grouse Society is offering a shotgun and Pineridge Grouse Camp is offering a guided hunt as prizes in a drawing for participating hunters that submit samples correctly. Hunters are also participating in sample collection at the Ruffed Grouse Society National Hunt in October, Pineridge Grouse Camp, Bowen Lodge, Hoot-N-Holler, and the Akeley Grouse Hunt. Private hunting guides and wildlife students at participating colleges will also contribute to reaching the desired sample size of 400 birds. Return postage and complete instructions are included in the kits. Samples also can be dropped off at Pineridge Grouse Camp near Remer. More information about ruffed grouse management can be found on the DNR website.  Questions about the West Nile virus study can be directed to Charlotte Roy at 218-328-8876 or [email protected]   Discuss below - to view set the hook here.