• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Leech Lake Fishing Reports - Hackensack, Longville, Walker MN Also

I'm making a day trip up to Leech on Saturday. Where is the best place to put in if you're coming up from the south on 371?

Depends on where you want to fish, but Stony Point is pretty centrally located and is probably as good a spot as any unless you plan on fishing Walker Bay.

Nisswaguy,

I would highly recomend putting in at Erickson access or some call Kabekona/Walker access, it's the access next to the 371 bridge north of walker on the right side. This the best spot if your going to hit walker, goose island, pine point, etc with enough space to park no matter how many people use this access you can find a spot to park. Stony Point is very nice but some what limited for parking space but again you do have access to stony point, traders bay and pine point just by going around the corner. Either one is fine but if you have a boat larger like a 621 it might be tight at the stony access because of the rocks in the harbor. Good luck.

mr

Got a late start on Saturday but managed about 20 fish. fished outside of the boats on pine point and some humps out by Goose. Fish came on everything jigs, rigs, and cranks. During high sun fish were 16-18 fow, when low light came fished moved right up to 6-10 fow.

Great weather great eating, back again this week staying at Adventure North with friends.

All ways on Ch.16 hail Fishgutz for a report.

I was part of the Stoney group and didn't do very well. Our two boats picked up a few too big and a handful of small ones but didn't see the net hit the water much at all in other boats. I did hear that Fed and Hardwoods were better but it was still fun.

LindyRig and I caught a little over 20 eye's Saturday/Sunday, didn't really catch anything Monday. Eight of those were keepers, and the largest for the weekend was Lindy's 27". All fish were caught on either 1/8oz green fireball jig with smaller shiners/fatheads (not the big ones) during the day, or #7 shad raps at dusk/dark. We jigged in 10-15' and pulled cranks on the top edges of the breaks in 14-15'. Mid-day fishing picked up for us when the clouds rolled in Sunday afternoon.

Majority of our fish came from locations away from the crowd, but still near the general locations. We did decent on Stoney in the evening and near Ottertail. Didn't see much on goose flats but didn't stay there too long. Another boat in our group did decent up by big hardwood, and had a good evening just west of Pine point.

311Hemi, we had about the same luck as you. We boated a little over 50 fish for the weekend. Although, most of the fish came on bigger shiners. When the jig bite slowed with the wind dying down, I switched to Lindys and picked up the speed a little bit and actually caught more fish than on jigs. We fished most of the same spots that you did, but didn't fish Stony area. We found most of our fish away from the crowds as well. We caught 4 fish in under 5 minutes in one spot that we were 500 yards away from another boat, but within minutes we had 5-6 boats on top of us. I don't know how many people I saw this weekend that had a person in the boat who wasn't fishing and just looking through the binoculars. I guess the real key was "sight fishing"!

We got fish but worked hard for them.

LEECH LAKE: NO WIND................NO FISH

Six and a half days without any wind to speak of. Finally, 8-10 mph

out of the ESE for a few hours on Friday.

Todays breeze Plus 40 mph made the bite real good.

tweed

Fished Walker bay this weekend. Didn't get out as much as I hope. Caught only 12 walleyes ranging from 20 inches to 31 inches. Caught them on spinners w/bottom bouncer(red&white color) along the weed line ,jigging 17 feet of water on the break lime green color and at night trolling with traildancers. Wished I could have put in more time fishing but had other things going on.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The past few days we were on leech a bit. Weather was a killer 80 degree’s and sunny with no wind. It was a tough go no matter where you were. Leech was ok in 15-17ft of water by leech lake camp ground and right out front of federal dam. We did find some fish in shallow water 7-8 ft and they bit pretty good at times. We were using a 1/8 oz northland gumball jig and a shiner. Nothing was fast and furious but we at least could pluck a few out now and then.

So look for good fishing when you have clouds or wind if none of that just keep plucking away.

Good luck fishing

Jason Boser

Fishing Fever Guide Servic

fishingminnesota guide service

218-999-5591

Fished Leech Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Thursday and Friday were slow for walleyes with the sun and calm weather, but the big crappies and sunfish more than made up for it. Could catch them at will, pretty much. Saturday the walleye bite was absolutely nuts with the gale force winds that came up. I don't know how many fish my dad and I caught and released, but it was A LOT! Big, small, and everything in between. Artificials outfished live bait by a long shot for us. Fun times. Had my 84 year old grandpa with when the wind picked up and his words were "I think I'm getting a little too old for this". Ha ha. That lake got WILD in a hurry! Thats Leech for you. Gotta love it!

What's the warmest water you guys have seen out on leech lately? And how thick is the rice already?

I had about 65 in the northern bays and about 59 down in Walker Bay on Thursday. I think Saturday when the water was all churned up we had about 63 or 64 on the south side of the main lake. The only rice bed we cruised by it looked like there was little to no growth yet.

we were out there too on Saturday when the wind picked up, fishing hardwood. on the way off the lake it was like someone on the side of the boat with buckets of water throwing it on you we got soaked. Got out Saturday night picked up 4 keepers. Went out Sunday and we got our limit in 1hr 45 minutes was perfect.

Fished Leech yesterday and today and did very well. Put in out of Battle point and found fish in boy bay and bear island area, also tried up by federal dam but had a hard time finding consentrations of fish but picked a few up here and there. We did better up at federal dam pulling cranks along the breaks. For the two days we probably boated 50+ walleyes 8 that were small enough to keep most fish were 19" to 23" and got a few that were 25" to 27".

Coming up to Chase for the Memorial weekend. Wife said they had boats for rent and I just went to their website and it is a ski boat or a pontoon for almost $400 for the day. NOT gonna rent it. Any tips on a resort close by that rents aluminum fishing boats ? Option #2 will I catch anything off their dock or should I leave the rods home ? Thanks for any help !!

Call Dana at Baileys resort over on kabekona bay. he'll set you up with a good fishing rig.

If your going to fish the north end of walker bay it's not that far to go.

? Option #2 will I catch anything off their dock or should I leave the rods home ? Thanks for any help !!

Yes. I had luck at night trolling raps (taildancers)right off of chase.

Never got to rent a boat. Fished hard all over the Walker City dock jetty. Caught 1 20" pike. Tried almost every lure in the box. Saw 1 guy get a walleye in a boat right in front. Kids were catching rock bass and small perch from the docks. Bobber and leeched it from 1 hour before sunset till 11:00 pm. Nothing.Both nights. Had a 40-43 " muskie follow my bobber and leech in ! Thanks again for the help guys !

Tough bite on Monday and Tuesday. We hammered it hard both days and

struggled to put our, near limit, in the boat. Tried jigging and

rigging. Not one fish over 18" What a change from last week when, at

least 50%, were overs !

Those cold front save many a walleye.

tweed

On main lake.

Had three boats on Leech Thurs/Friday/Saturday. Did really well overall. Most success was 10 to 14 ft on crawlers and leeches. When the wind died so did the fishing for us. When you found active fish we got our limits fast, about an hour for 3 people.

Buddha,

What area of the lake were you fishing. Anything specific you looked for in the 10-14' range. I am heading up this weekend and just looking for a little advice to start.

Thanks

UNIT

We landed at Stoney Point and jumped around the points close to Stoney. Do your best to avoid bumper boats as groups move in really fast when more then 2 boats are in an area together. When the boat concentration was high the bites were much less. There was no real spot, just scattered all along those ranges.

I am also taking a visit up north to Leech Lake, my family has a cabin on Lake Belle Taine and I plan on taking a day up to Leech to catch some walleye hopefully. I try fishing on Belle Taine but I haven't had any luck in the past. It looks like the weather is supposed to be in the mid 70's with chances of rain all 3 days I plan on being there tho. Just wondering if this weather will effect the bite or not?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

This week was a week where we started to see the fish start moving toward deeper water.

Leech is going pretty good I was out there a couple times this last week. We fished in the weeds and rocks. the rocks were good when the wind blew, the weeds were better with no wind. Jig and shiner were still king with the little 1/16 oz fireball working best in the shallow rocks.

Good luck fishing and be safe

Jason Boser

fishing fever guide service

mnfishing pros guide service

we abandoned our normal spots on the western shore (little hardwood, big hardwood, goose island areas) and fished around the Pelican Island reefs with leech and crawlers and our action was much better. Submarine seemed pretty busy but it was nice to only have one to three boats on a spot and to be able to fish in peace. Shiners and fireballs got outfished 4-1 with leeches or crawlers on lindy rig. 11-14 feet mostly surrounded by about twenty feet.

how's the muskie fishin' doing? any tips or "area's" to try? never fished leech befor for the beasts and am comin up at end of month lookin to slaughter a MONSTER