• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions

They did that last year with a smaller lake I fish! Usually 10-20 trucks out and the week after the article there were over 100! Lake is junk now!

Lol! Akoonjb I think you missed our point its not we feel entitled to only fish a lake and keep others away. It's the fact that smaller lakes can't afford the pressure they get from a mass of people that fish it hard after being a featured lake in outdoor news, I'd say the same thing whether I fish the lake or not.. But thanks for the sarcastic knee jerk reaction!

• 1 month later...

full-45008-43245-image.jpg

Out around the south end of the cities today and caught 8 bass all upwards of 2 lbs. They all bit strictly on wax worms. My buddies were using minnows and didn't catch one. Today will be one of those unforgettable ones.

Since it's my first year seriously ice fishing a lot...what goes on with the lakes once the warm weather comes out like this week? Does the snow melt into slush pools making it undriveable? or does it thaw out sooner by shore making it impossible to get onto the lake with a car at all? Does the ice shrink and crack to a dangerous point?

Expect WET conditions when ice fishing in March. You are right that the access points on/off the lake will get sketchy, but we should have several good March warm days to hammer on the crappies/sunfish. Standing water will start to show as we get warmer days...and how much standing water you care to fish on/in is a personal preference. Just be aware, listen to your gut, and use common sense and you are gonna love March fishing! (the bite can be AMAZING)

Usually the faster the melt the more difficult it will be, the water has to find somewhere to go.

I wouldn't mind the slush as long as I can get wherever I want in a truck. That's why they make waterproof boots right? Would driving in 4WD be enough to get anywhere on a metro lake this weekend? I can just see my truck going through the wet snow down to ice and lose traction.

I went to a local west metro lake and drove out on the road that was perfect last week. Being it is the only spot for water to go it is like driving thru a river. I have a full size truck and I was up to my running boards. Then I got to a point where the lake gets shallow and it is more of a slough in between basins. I smelled something extremely nasty as I was downwind. I looked 20 yards in front of me and there was brown slough water churning up thru the clear standing water. Now I was just out last week on this lake and had almost 3 ft of ice so I know the ice is probably good but this was concerning. Maybe carp rolling or just a bad spot in the ice from the water on top and shallow Muck bottom. None the less cross this lake off for me the rest of the year. Checked out a couple more that looked fine. Just like tip said....listen to your gut

Since it's obviously dangerous, wouldn't it be ok to name the lake for everyones' safety?

Makes me long for those years we had without any snow. This year is looking to be extremely wet (just like last year) & I get tired of watching water swirl down my hole while I'm trying to fish. smile I do love me some crappies, though!

Whale Tale Lake in St. Boni. Im sure the ice is fine but this gurgling I witnessed made me have to go home and change my shorts.

Anyone driving out on any metro lakes? I only have an hour or so to fish on weekdays and would rather not spend half of that free time walking to spots. I'm guessing the lakes all have a snow/ice crust with water underneath but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Any info would be nice.

Thanks!

Also, if you haven't tried it, Pool 4 is dishing out walleyes and saugers left and right on jig and minnows off the bottom.

Anyone driving out on any metro lakes? I only have an hour or so to fish on weekdays and would rather not spend half of that free time walking to spots. I'm guessing the lakes all have a snow/ice crust with water underneath but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Any info would be nice.

Thanks!

Also, if you haven't tried it, Pool 4 is dishing out walleyes and saugers left and right on jig and minnows off the bottom.

Assuming that you're capable of making it on/off the lake at the access points, there's really no reason you can't drive right now. There's still 2.5-3 feet of ice in most locations I've checked on south metro lakes and most of the snow had previously melted leaving only good ice underneath. The problem, as I said, is the access points. I stopped driving out a couple weeks ago because all I have is a 2 wheel drive vehicle without much ground clearance and I'd surely get stuck getting on/off the lake.

excuse my ignorance, but what's stopping you from getting on/off the lake at the access points? high levels of water/slush? or deep ruts that make it tough for a 2wd to go through?

excuse my ignorance, but what's stopping you from getting on/off the lake at the access points? high levels of water/slush? or deep ruts that make it tough for a 2wd to go through?

As of last night, most of the slush is now frozen. But yeah, the access points are still pretty beat up and rutted in. And after the latest snowfall we had, even though it was only a couple inches, those ruts are now filled in. Even a couple inches of snow in deep ruts is enough to gobble up most 2wd cars.

The bottom line for me is that it's just not worth trying. There are very few people out on the ice right now, and getting my car stuck trying to get on the lake with no one around to help if things went south isn't my idea of fun. I'd rather just man up, get a little exercise, and walk out and enjoy fishing without the worry:)

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else having luck out there in the West Metro? (Tonka/Christmas etc) Been out 3 times in the past week and I've yet to catch a fish...fishing the same areas that were fine for me last winter/spring and were working until the snow started melting. Starting to feel like a bit of a buffoon since I'm usually like the only guy out there...maybe i'm the dumb one? lol

My son and I caught some bluegills on Tonka Saturday. The fish had moved over the weeds, we didn't see any suspended deep. They were very finicky but we caught a few.

Anybody else having luck out there in the West Metro? (Tonka/Christmas etc) Been out 3 times in the past week and I've yet to catch a fish...fishing the same areas that were fine for me last winter/spring and were working until the snow started melting. Starting to feel like a bit of a buffoon since I'm usually like the only guy out there...maybe i'm the dumb one? lol

Haven't been out in a while, but typical late ice tactic is shallow water. (I'm assuming the places you were trying were deeper, prior to the snow melt). The fish move shallower as they stage pre-spawn. I'd even start looking around in the weeds if there are any left on the lake you're on.

Was on Tonka Sunday. Fishing was GREAT! -- Find smaller bays and fish weed lines...maybe someplace with some 'flowing' water from runoff. We generally stayed under 12fow.

• 3 weeks later...

I am planning on fishing the creek just below the dam at Peltier in Centerville and was wondering if the crappies are in yet? Has anyone been out there yet?

Been out there a few times checking it out while biking. Not much going on. Really, I'm not sure why people are so hot on that spot. It's 90% bullheads with the occasional non-rough fish mixed in. But, don't let that stop you from going.

• 4 weeks later...

Caught some crappies tonight from shore on a west metro lake and look at this one. full-45008-46013-image.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions