• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions

Fish holding off the first breaks seems to be the word for me too. We fished tonka a few times last week and some fish were in the shallow water but most seemed to be holding just off shore in the small bays. I hear the crappies are starting up around the docs on waconia. I may head there today if the wind calms down or maybe up to the tonka north arm launch if the wind is still pushing when I get off!

Fishtrapper, we were out on waconia Saturday and had the camera down about thirty boats around the marina and catching only small crappies. Probably saw 500 crappies but also a million tiny sunfish out in the buoys. As of right now we caught bigger and more fish on Tonka. Also tried other areas on wac and nothing but a ton of walleyes that we saw on our camera along a shallow weed line that we usually catch them on. Good luck I think Im going to miss the good crappie action this weekend but hopefully will take first in The Border Walleye Challenge on Big Stone! Hope for nice weather.

Was out in my usual hot spots in the South Metro. Lots of the smaller lakes in the area having a good bite going on for Crappies and panfish. Bass are active and so are Walleyes hitting panfish jigs. Fish the smaller lakes first before hitting the big waters as we all know they generally warm up faster. Small jigheads, tubes, twister tails, Flu flu's. They all worked. White or chartreuse colors.

The weather was windy but it was worth it. Fish was active.

Fishtrapper, we were out on waconia Saturday and had the camera down about thirty boats around the marina and catching only small crappies. Probably saw 500 crappies but also a million tiny sunfish out in the buoys. As of right now we caught bigger and more fish on Tonka. Also tried other areas on wac and nothing but a ton of walleyes that we saw on our camera along a shallow weed line that we usually catch them on. Good luck I think Im going to miss the good crappie action this weekend but hopefully will take first in The Border Walleye Challenge on Big Stone! Hope for nice weather.

Thanks for the info tonkaman! I never made it out yesterday. Was tired and the wind was more than i wanted to deal with. Today is the ticket though!

Anyone getting crappies any where else? Different part of the lake or a different lake all together. Around intowns docks gets kinda messy.

Since it isn't a secret...Haven't fished it yet this year, but seeing 4-10 boats around the hole on Seton Channel.

where exactly is the seaton channel? im new to fishing tonka. this winter was a first for me. now im ready to try open water!

Spring Park. Pretty easy to get to. Just put in at the Spring Park launch next to the Boat Patrol (Sheriff's Department)off of hwy 15/Shoreline Drive. Take a quick right (going west), go under the bridge into Black Lake. As JJ said that's a well known crappie spot too. You'll see boats there around that hole that you can fish as well as next to the bridge you went under. If you keep going west you'll come to a channel that runs north and south (that's Seton channel)with land right in front of you.

I counted 11 boats out there on Wednesday so I'm sure there will be more there today.

Gonna head to Waconia tonight. What size crappies are guys getting now? Still the smaller guys? Or have the bigger ones moved in yet?

Hey trapper, talked to a buddy of mine, and he told me they were catching a lot of 7-8 inch crappies by the docks last night in the rain. He said they have gotten a little smaller than a couple of weeks ago. Not trying to deter you, but the hole in Seton Channel on Tonka might be better bet, or another one of your crappie holes on Tonka? Talk to you soon, Pikeguy

Went out on Tonka yesterday in the rain. Got on the water about 10am. It took us a while to find the crappies, but when we did it was non stop action. We ran out of minnows in about 2 hours, so we started throwing tube jigs under a bobber with no minnow and that seemed to work just as well if not better. It seemed like a minnow on a plain hook or a tube jig with no minnow worked best. The best color was black/green and perch colored tubes. We were in about 2 feet and the fish were under and around a large floating mat of dead milfoil. Between the 3 of us we probably caught a 125+ crappie and several sunnies and bass. The crappies were between 6 and 12 inchs with lots between 8-10 inchs. We threw them all back. Not sure what the water temp was, my buddy didn't have a temp gauge on his depth finder. It was a great day on the water and we had the whole lake to ourselves.

Does anybody have any reports since friday about waconia or whaletail lakes.I have a 12 year old that is wanting to catch fish and out fish his dad.If any one can help please do so. or any other lakes would also work. I have never been on Tonka so that might be like leading the blind sending me there.

Brad Duenow

[email protected]

1-320-510-1349

waconia is doing really well right now, the bes spot that I know of is around intowns docks

Was out yesterday and caught around 500 crappies between two people (in 8 hours). came home with a limit of 9.5-11 inchers. Tried getting sunfish as well but only ended up with 16 of those (7-8.5 inches)... too many crappies.

My buddy Fudd and I are going to fish from 3:30 - dusk on Thursday. Hit the shallow warmer bays for crappies. We have a $20 bet for who catches the most fish. I'll be using crappie minnows, and Fudd will be using Gulp minnow bait.

Who do you think is going to win? I would find it hard to believe if Gulp outfishes live bait?

my money would be on the gulp, crappie minnows are a waste of money this time of year.

on waconia?

yes I got them on waconia how or where will stay with me :-) although you probably already know where.

Very nice!!!! How is the Wallye and Northern popullation over there?

northern pop is low but the size is high and walleye is the opposite pop is high but size is low (on ave). This time of year you can get 50 walleyes a night all around 13-15 inches (the minimum keeping size is 16)

Nice report BK, we'll have to get out together one of these days.

Fished a south metro lake today from 6-10 a.m. Caught and released about a dozen walleyes with the biggest being about eater size and the rest being dinks. Fish were caught with jig and minnow fished vertical in 16' of water and only when the sun was out. A few bass and perch were in the mix also.

My buddy and I fished in 3-6 feet of water last night before sunrise and the crowds, mostly pulling crankbaits. Managed 4 walleyes, 20", 20", 20", and 15". a good night.

Twins and Dkoy, what type of cranks were you fishing. I was hoping to pull some cranks on spring tonight but my partners were ready to head in at 7:30. We pitched for a bit up shallow with no luck and only picked up 1 on a lindy in 22 FOW. Any help this year would be good since I'm bound to the S. Metro for opener.

shad rap was all i pulled. firetiger, blue/silver, black/silver, perch all worked. switched up every two pass just to see if there was a difference. I caught probably 20 some basses also. No northerns which was good.

I think waiting until that chop died down really improved the fishing.

I pulled a perch shad rap as well. My buddy pulled chartreuse and white.

Was not on Prior. Went out again tonight and caught 3 more. 23", 20", and a 17". Same depth, same lure, same lake (lake X)

• The title was changed to Metro Area Minnesota Fishing Reports & Ice Conditions