• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi River North Fishing Reports

Joe

The catfish bite was good tonight. Was fishing off of st anthony parkway north of nicollet island. Caught 5 catfish in 30 min. Biggest one was 24 inches. Using chicken liver. But then i got snagged and lost my last sinker. River is still high and moving fast but they are biting.

Has been a while since last got out fishing. Water is still several feet higher than normal for this time of year (in the Otsego/Elk River area). Caught a lot of rough fish on nightcrawlers along with a few smallmouth (couple decent fish in the 15" range). Suckers were very active.

River level is just about normal for this time of year, it has droped almost 3ft here in town the last week. Fishing has been pretty good as of late for walleyes, smallies and catfish. For much more detailed info on the bite check out the premium info forum at the very top of the main forums wink

I was about 3 miles south of the dam & didn't see that area, but in the obscure area I was at, I was amazed how much it had dropped. In the middle of nowhere & under a bunch of scrub brush & trees, my son found an old metal folding chair that must have been swept down & parked itself where we were. Smallie bite was most definatly on, experiment with your plastics. The boy had a great day & didn't want to leave(sounds like his dad 20 years ago)! The first spot however, wasn't so hot so it definatly pays to move around. We hit fish in a couple spots that I didn't think looked very promising.

grin

Great report Tony!

The boy had a great day & didn't want to leave(sounds like his dad 20 years ago)!

He sure does sound like his old man wink

Made it out for a few hours this afternoon. Just when I thought we were starting to get to a more normal water level for this time of year it had risen about 6in since Sun and went up another 6in while I was on the water today crazy

The good news is the bite is going real well for smallies smile. They are hitting just about anything they can see, or hear. Water clarity is still pretty murky, thats the reason bright or loud baits are doing better than more subtle presentations right now.

Channel cats were hungry on Sunday in the Elk River area. Cut sucker is all I had for bait (crawlers too in case I needed them) and it worked great. Current seams are where I found them hanging out. All the fish I landed were nice chunky 27-28". I don't remember the water being this high at this time of year during the last few summers. I'm not complaining cuz it's easy traveling in the duck boat.

Had decent luck on the crow last night, caught 3 over 24",1 around 20" and a bunch around 10".Biggest was shy of 28". Cut suckers were the ticket. Best period was right after dark. Also caught a softshell turtle, one of about every two bites was a turtle! They must be just swarming in there.Anybody know how far up the crow I could get from the miss with a 16' deep v and a long shaft?

210.jpg

Hello all. I am new to the site. I live close to the river in Wright County. Smallies have been going good the last week for me. A few bonus walleye and occasional channel.

Welcome to FM/HSO Swamp_Gas. Thanks for the report, looking forward to hearing more from you.

Most fish have come on crankbaits. Tubes and twisters have been producing as well.

Anybody know how far up the crow I could get from the miss with a 16' deep v and a long shaft?

I tried that in May with a 14 ft shallow V-hull & 15 hp long shaft and didn't get more than a 1/2 mile before the skeg was bumping rocks. I think there are several areas with rocks that stretch pretty much all the way across the river in that area. I didn't care to see if there was a narrow spot to get past them.

Was out midday for a few hours yesterday and was surprised on how fast the action was! We caught 9 cats 20"-26" walleye fishing. Did manage a few eyes (mostly cigars) and a few smallies. The cats sure have put some size on the last few years and are a blast to hook into.

Water was very turbid but the current was manageable. Should only get better as we approach fall!

Made it out for a few hours this afternoon. Water continues to drop a bit more each day grin. Fishing was ok, but not hot like it has been. Fished bass for the first couple hours, still having best luck on the DT4s or 7in finess worms rigged weightless casted to the rocky shorelines. Summer patterns are in full swing right now grin bass are feeding heavy.

After getting our fill of the bass we tried for some cat action. They weren't near as active as the bass were. Had isues with turtles eating our bait in just about every spot we went to. Finaly found a good log jam that held a coulpe active fish, nothing real big but it was action. On a stinky side note....my partner for the day appon hearing his clicker scream, got up and kicked over a almost full tub of liver sick. For the rest of the afternoon we could have been called the lord of the flies, they sure did like my boat mad. Pay back is in order wink

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on hitting the Miss around Elk River/Otsego tomorrow after work. Probably going to try for some smallies at first and then setup for cats closer to dusk. Anybody been out recently? Have the cats been hanging around current seams or in fast moving water?

Made it back out, hung close to town. I can't believe that the water temp has fallen as much as it has in the last couple weeks, I think it's still August crazy. Fishing has been hit and miss for me as of late, today was a miss. We worked shorlines, wood, rocks and mid river structure with only about a dozen bass boated between us frown I hope tomorrow is better.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the fishing reports are slow....I see lots of folks out fishing, so I'm sure someone is hiding a good bite! smile

Anyways, I was out on the dock tonight catching nothing worth bragging about, and something huge--a muskie, maybe? gigantic bass?--started busting up on something--I don't know what--near shore. Seemed as though the fish was pushing something up against shore, as all the commotion happened within a few feet of the bank.

I didn't catch it, but now y'all know that, somewhere north of the Sartell dam, there's something big that's looking to eat. smile

More dock fishing last night, more nothing much to report. One catfish and a bunch of flathead bait (ugly yellow bullheads). Also picked up some eel pout.

So, if you want to catch some flathead bait, lemme know. I'll give you some GPS coordinates. smile

More dock fishing last night, more nothing much to report. One catfish and a bunch of flathead bait (ugly yellow bullheads). Also picked up some eel pout.

So, if you want to catch some flathead bait, lemme know. I'll give you some GPS coordinates. smile

You and your pet pout grin.

Made it out on the riv this afternoon, took the little puddle jumper below the dam here in town. The day started off pretty slow with just a few walleyes and small bass in the first couple hours. Decided to throw floats, small jigs and crappie minnows. This turned out to be a good choice wink. Got quite a few cats , crappies, bullheads and bluegills in very shallow water. Was a pretty decent multi species day.

Thanks to Jim over at the Bait den for the extra big scoops of minnows wink we used every single one grin

I would be interested in the GPS coordinates for the large fish chasing bait. :-)

I live 1 mile from 2 public accesses on the river and I just cannot seem to get out there this year.

With all the high water early this year, i didnt want to go out there. Now is the time!!

I hear you. Strange year so far regarding water levels...and getting out fishing. I rent a (crappy) place that's actually on the Miss and I don't get out as often as I'd like. crazy

About those GPS coordinates: Nothing special about where I heard the fish....just near the shoreline in very shallow water with a steep break leading to deep water very near by. If you're interested muskies in the river (as your tag seems to imply smile ), I'd head out below either the Sartell or SCSU dam....each year I get at least one--sometimes more--just throwing cranks for 'eyes. If a guy knew what he was doing, I'm sure he'd do much better.

Though if you ever do want to stop over and chase some catfish/pout/mysterious monster fish from the dock, send me a PM and I'd be glad to share my hotspot!

went out this mornin from 7-930 just upstream from elk river. The water is very low. Most of the river looks like small rifles. I went to a couple deeper holes(maybe only 4-5ft now) and they were hittin! The carp and smallies were breaking the surface until about 845. Got one big carp that broke off, but then got another, 4.5-5lb carp, a nice redhorse, even a nice smally all on a crawler on bottem. And then i got a 32in channel. It was a nice big male in the fall "blue" color phase. Very Pretty fish. I actually kept the carp and sucker, im gona try smokin them...

Great report, and good to hear you had a fun time.

Good eye for the deeper holes....there's nothing like low water to concentrate fish!

Got out tonight for an hour or so...caught two keepable walleyes on fatheads but let 'em go. And no eel pout, alas.

• 2 weeks later...

made it down to montissippi yesterday and tonight. tonight was slower but I got better fish tonight. it was a five species night : small mouth, large mouth, bluegill, crappie, & last but not least party crappies. the largest tonight was a 16 inch small mouth.

here is the pics of the 16" smallie.

full-29971-25051-100_3741.jpg

full-29971-25052-100_3742.jpg

Ah, the party crappies. I caught a few of them last night myself.

I got out Monday night with a few fellow HSO'ers....apart from a few real crappies (not caught by me), the action was very very slow. I happened to hook/snag something huge (rumor has it that it was a walleye, but I didn't get a look at it and I think the guy I was with was just trying to make me feel bad because he wasn't catching anything whistle ).

made it out again tonight. It was a slower night but I still had a four species night(smallie, party crappies, blue gills, & even a small catfish).

the party crappies were the main fish of the night.

here are a few pics :

full-29971-25101-100_3744.jpg

full-29971-25102-100_3743.jpg

Cute little kitty Brad grin

Ah, the party crappies. I caught a few of them last night myself.

I got out Monday night with a few fellow HSO'ers....apart from a few real crappies (not caught by me), the action was very very slow. I happened to hook/snag something huge (rumor has it that it was a walleye, but I didn't get a look at it and I think the guy I was with was just trying to make me feel bad because he wasn't catching anything whistle ).

I swear I saw a huge glowing eye when I hit it with the light wink but we will never know for sure because someone choked a little grin Don't feel too bad, it happens to me all the time wink

I was back again last evening with similar results, I hope the walleyes kick into high gear soon.