• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi River North Fishing Reports

Joe

I wonder if anyone has run one on the Rum between Andover and St. Francis?

I have quite a few times last summer, definately a hoot. Bigger fish are fewer and far between. Lots of pike however. Most of the bass on this stretch rr316 would use for toilet paper however....

I took this pic today in the Babcock park under Hwy101 in Elk River today. You can see how high the water is on the bridge columns, I personally have never seen it so high. There was also a news van and reporter down there, but no station ID on the van.

MissMarch09.jpg

All of Babcock park was under water in 2001, the river had twice as much volume as it has now, over 44,000cfs at the St CLoud guage, it was the same in 98 or 99, so it has been much higher than it is going to get this year (barring anymore future rain storms that dump on us within a couple days)

I figured it had gotten much higher in the past, but I've only lived here 2 years. Last spring it didnt seem nearly as high.

This is what the Mississippi looked like about a hour ago at the Brooklyn Park Access. we fished from here up to the CR dam yesterday and its up about another 2 feet from yesterday. we measured several holes that are usually 15-18 feet deep and they were around 25-28ft deep.

Red line is where the river is supposed to be

002.jpg

Thanks guys! I love this site! If not for it I woulda been the guy stuck in the middle of the mighty Mississippi with a push pole working a 2025 off the beach....

Yea the water is ripping in Elk River. Although, last year I launched with just slightly less water. Kind of nice cause you need not back half way across the river to launch.

Quote:
No jet yer gonna spend some repair money.

You can say that again. I just got my propshaft and prop repaired. This prop is brand stinking new. I'm sure there is a boulder out there itchin' to meet it this season.

LOL. It just wouldnt be the same without the lower unit bouncing off a rock or two now and again and again and again.

I figure it's kind of like jig fishing....you aren't going to catch them unless you're hitting bottom.

How's the river looking right now? I'm hoping to get out and do some shore fishing this coming weekend as long as I can get to my spots and keep my bait still in the current.

checked out a couple dams tonight and water is still cookin pretty good, but i think its fishable now.

Elk River is still flooded over the landing at Babcock park, it should be down enough by the weekend, but the water will still be very fast and cold!

Launched out of Elk River the past two days. Yes, its flooded and I got my boat trailer acrobatics down pat. Wow, what a show that would have been for any onlookers. To make things wayyyyyy easier bring some waders or hip boots.

Did more cruising than anything. Current was still strong but many areas were ideal for catching. Cruised down into Dayton and even into the "resorts" back pool without even seeing a rock!

mudslinger is that a prodrive on that flatbottom in your avatar and how big is it and how big is your boat. I'm looking at getting one for my 18ft jon.

Elwood, Its a Beavertail boat model 1754. The plate on the boat says 1854 cause of the float pods (gods gift to jon boats.) The thing rides like a barge. The motor is a Beavertail long shaft 27hp Kohler 4stroke. Cant say enough good things about the rig. Seriously a 4X4 on water or other gooshy matter.

I personally like the long shaft cause its far more versatile than the short shaft. I have skimmed my way upstreram on the mississippi with rocks just inches under boat and with the same rig I have pulled a V bottom boat into unimaginable mud/vegitation, with six guys onboard, AND im still on the original prop! That being said, short shaft and other versions (prodrive) is faster in open water by a few mph BUT the long shaft can really get you anywhere you want to go at half the cost AND it pivots in tight spots like nothing else.

I fish the Elk River area all the time with it. If you ever want a ride or are up for some whisker pulling give me a holler.

mudslinger yea that sound like fun I''l be getting ahold of you sometime for for whisker action and I've heard great things about the pods so thats first on the list. weld them on my self. the only reason for the short shaft for me is that for fishing the minnesota I dont like all that lenght of the motor out back and the reverse option is really what I'm after. but my mind isnt made up yet maybe after riding in your boat I'll change my mind again.

Ran from Snuffy's in Becker up to Boy Scout Point past Clearwater.

You could run any boat you wanted out there right now...not sure if I saw less than 5 feet of water - and I was running over spots that will be dry by Memorial Day.

Water is colder than I expected...40-42. I won't start looking for cats until 50.

Drove up the Clearwater river to the pedestrian bridge. Two weeks ago I couldn't get under the bridge and now I could.

Probably down 3 feet from the crest. Still can't see the ruler on the first piling on the HWY 24 bridge.

Pretty successful run considering my motor was in 100 pieces 3 days ago.

Dam at SCSU-You can get some cats below the dam there, right now the water is moving to fast and its to high to fish. later on the summer if you hit the back areas you can get monster smallies but eyes go someplace else, you catch a bunch but they are babies. Good cats out there to

I figure I would give an update on the launch condtions at the 101/Miss bridge in Elk River:

As of 10 seonds ago from my Iphone! Ihope it comes in clear!

f68967e8.jpg

I am not sure why, but the "boys" are down here and have the boat out:

097735c1.jpg

Lookin better. With warm temps all week and dry, I will be fishing a lot in the coming days!

Looks like they are doing some type of training to me. I have launched with the launch looking alot worse than that, I like the looks of that better than the summer low water