• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi River North Fishing Reports

Joe

• 1 month later...

Went out on Sunday in search of my son's first walleye. We were successful. Ended up catching 6 in 1.5 hours. His was the first and biggest. He reeled it in all by himself and when I saw the tip of his tail, I got a little nervous that i may punt the fish. Fortunately, I was able to slip the net under her and got it in the boat. Big smiles on this side of the keyboard as well as the angler. Looking to sneak out again this weekend. My 5-year-old's expectations are pretty high.

full-10992-49433-img_3968.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Lately my schedule's been pretty full but I do get out sometimes in mid morning or in the afternoon.Crappies are all around, nothing in big numbers in mid mornings, lately I been getting anywhere from 2-5 crappies in a 1 hr -2.5 hr time slot with quite a bit of smallies.An occasional walleye but those are pretty scrawny.Wish I could fish at the Crack of dawn or just before dark, would probley have better results if I had those time openings available to fish.

Just been tossing minnows around, either cast and retrieve or bobber.

Hope to hear some new river reports soon from you all.Have a great week!

full-45395-49928-2014_10_0817.58.17.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Night bite starting to get good. Lots of eyes, one nice 7-8# northern, good smallies. Chartruese jighead, fire tiger works also, and a chart. Ringworm. Come sunlight switch body to gold cracker/char tail. Flow is down, and clarity up. Early bird gets the worm. Firetiger flicker #5s put out to, but more costly on snags. Want the bait hovering nice and slow, no cadence, just hovering. Cant get a bite from the walleyes on live bait.

Cancel that. White jighead with gold cracker/char tail at night. Couldn't get a bite on the char/char. Actually it was getting bumped, but just keep switching until they'd inhale it. It'll be obvious when you find what they like.

Smallmouth were more congregated and active today with good numbers ranging in size from 14-19 1/2" (most were 16-18") on medium suckers and mega-tubes. Previously I was only catching isolated large fish in the 18-20" range. It was the first time all fall where I had consistent follows when fighting another fish. The picture is my daughter holding her largest ever smallie.

full-31537-50362-2014_10_1915.18.56(768x

• Thumbs Up 1

Way to go! Good call on the Bait choice.Seems you got what the bigger bass want.

Those power lines look familiar too ...

Caught a tie for my personal best yesterday afternoon on an 8" sucker. It measured at 20 3/4" and had a huge girth:

full-31537-50433-2014_10_2616.04.15(768x

• Thumbs Up 1

It's weird looking at river smallies compared to Mille Lacs smallies. The shape is so different. The fish in Tuna's pic (a pig BTW) has more or less a flat back from head to tail. Mille Lacs smallies literally look like footballs. There is as much curve to the back as there is to the stomach.

It's weird looking at river smallies compared to Mille Lacs smallies. The shape is so different. The fish in Tuna's pic (a pig BTW) has more or less a flat back from head to tail. Mille Lacs smallies literally look like footballs. There is as much curve to the back as there is to the stomach.

Maybe due to the current in the river..?

I *finally* got out to the river for some after-dark crankbait casting. Back in the day, what feels like decades ago--that is, something like 2004 or 2006--I used to get down to the river four or five times a week for months on end. These days, with mushrooms to pick, women to marry, trails to hike, BWCA lakes to visit, and walleyes to catch elsewhere, my evening crankbait casting in the fall has fallen off. Alas.

But, I got out for the November full moon, and I caught about what I expected to: one walleye. Given the date, I asked it who it voted for, and given its answer, I know why I caught it...it must've been one of the dumb ones!! wink

• 2 months later...

I stopped by the Sartell dam to go for a walk today.

Noticed the whole dam is closed up.

Since I moved here a little over three years ago, this is the first time I seen the water so calm.It was impressive to see for me especially with all the time I spent over there fishing during the warm months.

It was definitely cool to see smile

• 2 months later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

need some new boots in the cart wink

I think I saw you pull in there as I was leaving

The funny thing about it is, I already have all this stuff. crazy

Wait, did you actually organize your shopping cart?!? smile

You know it Stickinmud lol ,that's how Jc from Mississippi North rolls up in this forum box. grin

Moose,yeah you may have saw me. I was in my wife's vehicle that day. smile

• 4 weeks later...

Hard to fish this morning.The wind made it a little tough and a bit cold too.Didn't stick around long but caught some anyway.Fishing for rough fish but some other unwanted fish got hooked and released in the process.

Had a sucker but it slipped out of my hands before I could get a picture of it.

Also found a link of a stringer locked in a hammer handles mouth.I'm guessing a fisherman had lost there meal some time ago on there boat.

full-45395-53156-2015_04_2014.26.48.jpg

full-45395-53157-2015_04_2014.25.01.jpg

full-45395-53158-2015_04_2014.23.10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Went out for a couple hrs today.

Suckers were active for a good hour then it kinda slowed down. Changed it up a little and used red worms instead of crawlers.Guess it doesnt make a whole lot of difference if everything lines up just right when there feeding.Figured I goof off for the picture this time grin

Hell, no one reads these threads anyways.. lmao smile

J/k

full-45395-53202-2015_04_2919.41.56.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Hell, no one reads these threads anyways.. lmao smile

I read your posts, they're a riot. LOL, Great Pic JC

• Thumbs Up 2

smile I like that last pic, but I dont see the trigger... lol

Had some fun sight fishing for river monsters today.......

full-44147-53220-dscn0667(1024x699).jpg

38" What a battle....

• Thumbs Up 3