• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi River North Fishing Reports

Joe

Took the new river boat out on Saturday. Launched on the Mississippi and.headed straight up the crow. The new boat(14ft Mod v, 15 horse) did 16mph up stream and 22 down. The crow was 49 degrees most of the way. I went all the way to 101 bridge. I fished only a couple hours with zero success, tried the main river channel and a few shallow slack spots. Crawlers on bottom. I also braved it up the Mississippi log jam a little ways, water was 41 degrees. Going to wait a couple weeks and try again.

Caught a handfull of small (12 - 16 inches) channel cats after dark this weekend. I was excited to see so many snmaller fish, looks good for years to come!

Caught a handfull of small (12 - 16 inches) channel cats after dark this weekend. I was excited to see so many snmaller fish, looks good for years to come!

I don't think there is a shortage of cats in the Sippi, the number of 18-24" cats I caught up there is ridiculous, what would be nice is more cats over 30" coming out of the river up there.

• 3 weeks later...

In between paint jobs, I stopped at the river for a little while.Didn't get my target carp but surprisenly some out of season fish were hungry for crawlers.Kinda hard to tell but these two were a couple of inches difference in size.A nice couple I met that were fishin by me took the pictures.

full-45395-45497-2014_05_0718.08.05.jpg

full-45395-45498-2014_05_0718.16.01.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

careful, the smally police will be after you.. wink

hate when they do that !

What is everyone's favorite tactics for early season walleyes on the mississippi? Bait, location, depth, etc.

Depending on the flow/depth.....1/32 nd - 1/4 oz jig head with a 1 1/2 - 3 inch white twister tail in an area like a confluence, dam, or where the flow meets backwater. Find a seem and work across it. There are a few spots from shore you can work parallel to the seem, but not many; if in a boat, your golden. Also if in a boat and you can't work parallel, you are still probably better off working these areas out instead of in. Search the lower depths, usually as close to the bottom as you can get without snagging, a few feet on the fast or slow sides until you find fish. The lower the light the shallower. It really is that easy......well..... if the fish are there and biting smile

Mississippi River report.

Red horse suckers are surfacing above the water lately.I caught many the last few days but not in the zones where they are coming up, more on the boundary of those places.Many bass been dwelling in shallow slack water the last few days in sartell, st cloud and Sauk rapids.I been chasing rough fish but it seems the other species are not far from those spots.Patiently looking forward to the catfish and the rest of the species coming in.

• 2 weeks later...

Found these tiny cats a couple nights ago around 7pm-9:pm.Funny thing is last yr they were reaching 30" on the same spot around this time.Caught 5 of them with a stray carp.Almost wanted to take them home for a pet.Cute little guys.

full-45395-45990-2014_05_2212.29.40.jpg

full-45395-45991-2014_05_2212.28.49.jpg

full-45395-45992-2014_05_2212.30.30.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been seeing more sunnies close too shores along the rivers.Bass will hit just about anything lately and a few crappies lingering too.

Here's one from this morning.

full-45395-46532-2014_06_1017.10.35.jpg

ruh roh scooby... mr white pants is back! wink

Nice fish Jeremy

ruh roh scooby... mr white pants is back! wink

"And I would've got away with it too if it wernt for those meddling kids"

Used jigs and crawlers for carp today.Worked well for the most part.After a handful of carp. It just got to be a little much on the heart rate.It was hard to be motivated with the humidity. Im drained guys.crazy

full-45395-46757-2014_06_1716.36.35.jpg

full-31537-46794-2014_06_1808.31.18(600x

Caught a 14 lb catfish yesterday morning on cut sucker in the Elk River area. It is my personal best. Numbers of cats are still way down from a few years ago, but size continues to improve with many fish running in the 8 lb+ range.

I like that one TunaCan.Got a big ole belly on that cat fish. smile

YESTERDAY

Got this little one near a drain on the rio Mississippi.Finally baught some chicken liver.Getting the liver to stay on the hook while casting is the fun part

full-45395-46818-2014_06_1920.03.59.jpg

popped down for 30 minutes to a spot and one smally said hello. sheesh that water is movin!!

Yeah its been slow below the mill

(BUT) above has plenty of brown bass around.This week,bobber and jig has been the success up there

(AND) Below the dam it seems when you button up >>close to shore<< in pockets in between rock groups the bass will take anything from waxies to a hunk of plastic worm.

Giving ya the heads up on YOUR bass wink

Hey, where you been man? cool

nice to hear you are being nice to my bass. smile

Action was not fast this morning, but caught some good fish. Typical river nightcrawler fishing starting out with a 5 lb catfish, then a few smallies, lost a nice walleye, and caught a couple suckers. Had two smallies pushing the 18" range...nice fish for this time of year.

• 1 month later...

Tonight,Daisy showed me a nice spot on the Mississippi after having to bribe her with candy for information. smile

full-45395-47957-2014_08_0118.43.09.jpg

full-45395-47958-2014_08_0118.42.13.jpg

full-45395-47959-2014_08_0118.40.54.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I hit up two spots today. both nothing. I don't think I've ever been skunked at both locations on the same day.