• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi River Fishing Reports Pools 2 & 3

Similar results for us today, Old Timer. Very few boats out for such a nice day, which meant very little competition for the primo spots. Water temp is up 7 degrees from last Saturday, and the water level has dropped 1.5 feet. Beautiful day to be out there, and although we didn't light 'em up we did boat a half dozen decent-size 'eyes along with a couple dinks and a crappie.

Fished yesterday from the confluence to the dam. Did pretty well. Boated about 20 eyes ranging from 13-19 inches. Best spot was where we found a current seam and 11 feet of water. Missed quite a few fish too. Beautiful day to be out.

Pool 3 - I was out Saturday and Sunday in the Prescott area. Caught a few fish but it was not hot by any means. The nicer fish I caught was trolling cranks otherwise jig minnow boated smaller saugers. Guys working blades seems to boat a few also.

Fished pool 2 saturday. Pretty slow. Boated 2 walleye (jigs) and some big carp (crawlers). My buddy had one that was 18 and some change. Found a few channels in shallow water with current(cutbait). Nothing of any size. Lots of traffic going into Hog Lake. Anyone know if there's been any action in there yet?

Hog lake huh, never heard that before.

Yeah, it's the small body of water that's attached to the south west corner of Pigs Eye through a channel. That might not even be the right name. I've always done really well there in the late summer with livebait rigs and crawlers but have never paid much attention to it in the spring. laugh

My buddy got a 25 out of "hog lake" yesterday. He picked me up at the launch around 4 and we decided to do some bass fishing. I got this 17 incher and lost another about the same size. 3469035885_68d9be5056.jpg

The water temp was 58. The bass bite will be blowing up here in the coming weeks. If you know where to fish 20-30 bass days can be expected. I will be hitting it hard for the next few weeks thats for sure.

the southwest corner of Pig's Eye is the river, isn't it? Is this "Hog's Lake" the one between 61 and the industrial complex?

No hog lake is between pigs eye and main channel, would be east of barge as you go up stream from 494. Hwy 61 is east of pigs eye and hog lake is west of pigs eye near main channel closer to concord st. in So. St.paul. You need a boat to get there.PS. you need to go behind the sunken barge and you can't see lake from main channel. Watch your depth.

It has always been deeper on the upstream side of the sunken barge. There is a channel along the back of the barge this year but it comes up quick to about 2 feet. All of the traffic that I have seen this year has been accessing the lake on the upstream side of the barge. Trying to decide on pool 2 or 4 for monday.

I never knew this Hog lake was there. Finally made it down to the river today launched out of S St.Paul. Made our way to Pigs Eye to chase Carp but didn't hook any instead my cousin caught a couple Channel Cats on corn biggest was a fat 8 lbr.

When do they put the dock out at the launch? Seems to me I remember it already in at this time.

Fished pool 2 from 10:30-3 on Saturday, but got skunked. Launched from St. Paul Park. I think we found "hog lake,"threw everything at it, but got a whole lot of nuthin' ... Any one have any luck Saturday? What pattern was working?

Out Sunday in the rain. 9:00 am 12:00. Fished the confluence and near Hwy 5 bridge. Caught 2, 1 nice one, 1 dink. Both caught on current seam in 7 fow. 3/8 blue and white jig head and chartreuse ringworm without any minnow. Tried dragging cranks, with no results, still too early.River is down a couple feet since last weekend. Hidden falls ramp better, but the eddy still a challenge.

What kind of depths are in this Hog Lake? Is it deeper or more like Pigs Eye 2-4ft.

Hog Lake is much deeper then Pigs Eye lake, I for sure remember seeing water at least 15ft

Oly, Talk to dave. I picked up a 19.5 saturday down there on a road runner. I think I told him where?? I ended up with 5 of them things in about 15 minnutes then had to keep after eyes. Im sure you know it but was a little ways from where you were at and I think there are plenty there at the moment!!

Can a guy still keep eyes out there? I'm going after smallies right now and got a couple eyes and threw 'em back. I wasn't sure. Figured better safe than sorry!

pool 2 is catch and release for largemouth, smallmouth, walleyes and sauger

what about stripers and drum? I was out yesterday and a guy was collecting a stringer on one of those two.

Pool 2 is just catch and release for largemouth, smallmouth, walleyes and sauger. Everything else follows the normal regulations.

Got out yesterday for the first flathead catfish trip of the season on Pool 2 out of Lillydale.

Still a little early, but wanted to get out and see what the flood waters had left us behind wink It turns out some very nice snags have formed this year and if the water level does not rise again, they should hold very nicely threw out the summer.

No fish caught (as was expected), but was nice to get back out on the water none the less.

We found water temps in the main channel at 55 deg. before and after sunset. We also found some backwater temps around the 56 and 57 degree mark. Did not see any barges, but the paddle boats are out in full force. Word at the launch from other fisherman was the day time bite was slow. No reports of walleyes, but a couple white bass and a channel where caught.

Water level is almost back to normal summer stage as was visible from the shore line!

I put about 3 hours in at the Ford Dam yesterday in front of the lock. A few really small Walleyes....we pulled an 8" out of the water who was only holding the minnow! We got one really decent one at least a 25" up to the boat. He was hooked really light and did a head shake as I tried to grab him....forgot the net. Light lipped yesterday.

We could have put 10-15 nice crappies in the live well if we wanted to, but were just out for CPR. I think the Crappie catch could have been even more if we downsized our jigs and minnows.

There was a Sheriff's boat down there. I am not sure what exactly they were patrolling for as they were not checking anybody. However, some solo guy was fishing two lines by the lock. The two guys in the Sheriff's boat (in some kind of uniform) looked at this guy sideways after seeing this. They got out a reg book and were talking and phoning someone. They then went up and had a discussion with him. I am not sure the outcome on his end. Not knowing the catch and release on pool 2 is plausible, but fishing 2 lines is a hard mistake to make! I doubt that he motored up all the way from Prescott.

Was out Friday afternoon and caught a couple decent eyes, 19 & 23. Quite a few short bites. Next time I break out the stinger hooks.

Caught 8 or so crappies 13.5 being the largest. Minnow and jigs.

Made it out today with a friend from 5 untill 830. We ended up with 4 walleyes a 26, 2 25.5, and a 20. I will post some pictures tommorrow.

Hi all! I'm new so I just have a general question.

I looking to fish first time in Mississippi river. How fast is the current right now in Pool 2 and 3? Will my 25 HP motor be able to handle it?

The current is not bad at all. It is down in the 25,000 cfs range wich is typical for spring. You should have no problems.