• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi River Fishing Reports Pools 2 & 3

I'm sure he meant both. On the Ford plant side, it's St. Paul. The other side is Minneapolis.

I've taken the hovercraft around the island, but probably won't do it again. It's not worth the ticket. I was a little younger then and didn't really think much of it, though I knew I was breaking the law. Guess that's what age does to a guy cry

Is there anywhere to shore fish by the Ford Dam or South Minneapolis in the river? I do not have a boat and I would love to get some fish this weekend.

Yeah, Minnihaha falls park you can walk down the stairs and follow the path down to the rivers edge where the creek dumps in and from there you can head upstream to the dam. I'm sure someone on here can tell ya what stairs to take down some of them make your journey alot shorter. I beleive its Hidden Falls park on the St.Paul side same deal foolow the river upstream and you'll eventually get there. Good Luck

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll post a report and some pictures and a if we get anything.

Not sure about Pool 3, but I was able to get out for a couple of hours on Pool 2 after work on Friday. The water temp fell from 37 the weekend before to 34.5 with the cold week we had. Seemed to turn the fish off. I marked the fish in the same spot but could not get a bite. Tried a new spot on the way back to the launch and marked promising fish on a nice drop between two wingdams, but all I could pull was a big ol' white bass. That was Friday and I am sure alot might have changed since then with the warm weather. I am sure the water temp is as high or higher already than last weekend and the fish are probably chompin again.

Wind was brutal yesterday and the fish were not biting, at leat for me. Hopefully today will be better.

Got out sunday 9:00am - noon. Fished the confluence, creek mouth and under hwy 5. No fish boated, nor did I see any fish boated. The hidden falls lot was full when I left at noon. Water temp is still only 34.4 degrees.

fish are biting just east of the 35e bridge, we got there late but caught 3 and saw lots of others caught.

Fished for 3 hours in between highway 5 and 3, saw no fish and caught no fish.

Fished the confluence 2-5 today and not a fish. Lots of boats and the Hidden Falls parking lot was a zoo. I hope they start enforcing the parking rules there. A ton of boat parking was used up by cars. I didn't see a single fish caught, talked to 5 other boats and only 1 fish between all of them.

yeah I was surprised to see all the boats out there. We were mainly just buzzing around, but we did stop and fish the Ford Dam for a bit.

Fishing was slow, but we seen quite a bit of the river today. Even got to help out the ice breaking process way upstream on the Minnesota smile

I was fishing by the airport yesterday and was pretty surprised to see that thing go skipping accross the top of a huge piece of floating ice. Those boats must have a thick hull.

haha, I saw those guys yesterday, it was hilarious. "you guys mind if we make some waves, we wanna jump this tree!" Us, "heck yeah, go for it!!"

We spent the rest of the day quoting napolean dynamite's seen, "cool bike, take it off any sweet jumps!?!"

LMAO!

Was out fishing for smallies out of Hidden Falls on Sunday, march 15th. First time out and we basically wanted to just run the boat. Any suggestions on how to catch smallies this time of year in that area? Any help would be great!

Carl

No idea on the lock, but Pool 1 has a closed season for game fish... cats are still a go though

Was out today just to check out water temps. Went out of 494 ramp. The main channel was 40 degrees from SSP Park all the way south to where the channel starts to zig zag back and forth near the Dam, not sure what it's called. A couple backwater areas were 42 degrees. Water seemed to be about 6"-10" higher from Sunday 3/15. Alot of ice south past Baldwin Lake. Wouldn't recommend heading down that way.

Fished the confluence 9:00 - 11:00, snagged a carp, water temps 34.5, few boats, no net action

Very slow yesterday.... Did manage a few up by the dam but over all it was very slow... Still fun to get out in the boat....

Goose egg for me on 3/21. Fished 4 to 7:30 PM around the confluence down and around Lillydale.

Jig/minnow, jig/ringworm, jig/crawler - vertical and pitching did not produce.

Did not see any nets out either.

Water was 36 degrees.

Yep, slow day yesterday for me also. Went down from shore around Lillydale area for a little bit and it turned into a longer trip than I thought. Went all up and down the shore line from HL to the club and could not find active fish. Did not find any active bait fish either. River is low (IMO) for this time of year and temps we have. Only some 10'x10' ice bergs and some large tree’s where floating down stream. These where mostly off to the side, with the main channel pretty clear, but I did see on outboard smack an ice berg pretty good. Talked to many guys from shore who where in boats and they said the same thing, slow. Did see on guy pull a nice channel though. I did catch some nice sheephead on plastics and lost a couple fish also.

I will say, the only jig I used all day and did not loose was a Lindy No Snagg Timb'r Rock 3/8oz. The river is very cloudy and thick with debris right now. Very stained. I had luck for bites and rough fish using the Timb'r Rock and a glow/yellow variation of the paddle. Cast right out from a shore to a current seam in deeper water and let it drop. As slow as you can go on the retrieve, with an upwards snap and letting t fall back down and sit for second. Also had some bites and grabs using the same Lindy jig and Gulp 4” smelt. With this rig I would cast out and go even slow on the retrieve, with some twitching more than a snap while it was on the bottom. You can either take the above as what not to do or what to do, because no walleyes where caught grin.

Hope to back down again this week or maybe yet today!

Good luck!