• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mississippi River Fishing Reports Pools 2 & 3

Temps bumping up into the 50's by next week!! That will feel good and will definitely hit some shore spots...

Was out on Friday, March 11th.

The only spot we could catch em was at the confluence.

4 other spots didn't provide any fish.

There was about 20 other boats in the area.

Also, we threw plastics right into the bitter end of daylight but weren't able to hook any big ones.

We caught 14 fish on the day with the biggest at maybe 18".

Was out on Friday, March 11th.

The only spot we could catch em was at the confluence.

4 other spots didn't provide any fish.

There was about 20 other boats in the area.

Also, we threw plastics right into the bitter end of daylight but weren't able to hook any big ones.

We caught 14 fish on the day with the biggest at maybe 18".

I am stuck on shore until the boat is fixed, is there any areas by the confluence that is fishable by shore or is there still the ice shelf along shore?

There was 30 feet of ice or so at shore but it was breaking up by the minute.. it's probably gone by now

There was 30 feet of ice or so at shore but it was breaking up by the minute.. it's probably gone by now

Sounds good, time to spool on new line and take a walk down there with the rod and tackle box... Thank God for open water... grin

Went to the Airport and waste water discharge at St. Paul today. The water was mooving at a good clip and the clarity was about 2 feet in most areas. Used a 5/8 oz. fireball tipped with a 3" gulp emerald shiner. Had a hard time keeping the jig in contact with bottom. I will try 10 lb test Fireline tomorrow. Didn't get a bite from 1 to 5. I will try the confulence tomorrow.

With the melting snow this weekend may be a challenge. The river levels may rise rapidly and swift currents will follow. Be careful out there.

Some small fish were caught at the confluence today. Most on bright jig heads and minnows. The small fish that were being caught were in 16-24fow. We hunted away from the pack (10 boats) for much of the day hoping for a pig eye. With water temps at 33-34 degrees and MINIMAL parking space at Lilly, of which was half taken up with vehicles with NO TRAILERS , you better either come early morning or mid afternoon if you want to park your truck AND trailer at the boat access. IMO, it is very frustrating when there is very limited space at a boat launch and half of the parking spaces are taken up with vehicles that have no trailers and are double parked. 2c

Slow, slow, Very little net action, compared to last weekend and midweek. Where are they hiding? Friday, fished the confluence and north end of Pike island. The two we caught were decent, but not big females, were from 17 fow slow drift and vertical.

A buddy of mine took me to the river for my first time over the weekend. We launched from Everts, and other than freezing my butt off for the first couple of hours I think we had a pretty darn succesful day. Close to 50 walleye between the 4 of us. Several in the mid 20's, plenty of high teens. Incredible fishery, would love to do it again with a little better weather next time though.

I saw a couple of boats up near the lock and dam this weekend- and a couple of shore fishermen hanging around too.

Any action? From the reports it looks like we might only have this week before the great deluge of 2011.

Took my kids to the Ford dam for about an hour today (Monday), no luck. We just used some nightcrawlers on the bottom hoping to pick up a sheepshead or catfish. Nada. That being said, I spent most of my time untangling lines and getting snacks. Boat control was tricky; the river is really moving. Anyone have better luck?

Just curious about the spring walleye run. Does this normally happen before or after the annual flooding? I usually chase any fish after the water has receded some. If it's before the floods then that leaves an awfully small window of time to fish them...

Creek bridge completely under water (or gone down stream) right now. Its gonna be a while.

That would be an interesting thing to see a bridge floating down stream. I noticed that the Minnehaha creek has already returned back to it's banks by Cedar Ave. How far back has the river pushed into the creek?

vman yes it is

just drove down there. yes its open. saw a few boats by the bridge.

the parking lot is half flooded. with how shallow that ramp is your whole truck would surely be in the water before your trailer wheel wells were under. might get wet. whatever it takes!

backed my truck in crew cab short box, was only a little past the rear axle, parking on the other hand is very limited, only 6-8 truck trailer combos right now.

Vman, bite is slow id go to pool 4

With the closing of the lack and dams closing to all traffic does this affect being able to fish the river to . Or is it you just can not go through the lock and dam?

Keep an eye on the sky today - Especially this afternoon

Midwest

* The main threat of severe storms is expected to develop by this afternoon in the Upper Mississippi Valley with tornadoes possible

* Severe storms are also possible from the Upper Mississippi Valley southward through the Mid-Mississippi Valley and Ozarks today then east into the Great Lakes and part of the Lower Ohio Valley by tonight

* Heavy rainfall is also expected in the Upper Midwest which could lead to flash flooding

Well the river is still crazy high but I did manage to find one little spot to fish last night. Needless to say it wasn't a spot I've ever fished before considering its probably 50 yards from the river normally. But, I still ended up with one nice 24" walleye and 1 quillback that I snagged.

Right now to find any fishable water you need to put in some work and hike around until you can find an opening in the trees that looks fishy. The spot I found was probably a half mile hike that took me through some pretty tricky areas. I was glad all my effort paid off because I almost had a heart attack while looking for a spot.

• 2 months later...

Made it out with my dad today for about 10 hours we ended up with 81 fish, 13 different species. I caught my biggest fish ever 53lb flathead on a crankbait fishing for walleye's. Here are some pics

5850848832_c0d46af204_z.jpg

5850848874_d871532ccc_z.jpg

32 inch pike

5850298071_42989aaff3_z.jpg

26 in walleye

5850849002_d425a39777_z.jpg

Big sheepshead

5850849052_2164e3658c_z.jpg

Couple fish from today

My dad with a 21 in sauger 5870707940_67bb39e348.jpg

13 in crappie

5870707968_a4699a7bfc.jpg

Here is a different pic of the cat I got last weekend

5870707896_65a34f5757_b.jpg

I was out on the river this past weekend for the first time in a while. The current is still ripping along pretty fast out there with the high water. Please be careful if you are out there, on a boat or even from shore. High water is a dangerous thing. Be smart and it is always a good idea to have a fishing partner out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out on Pool 3 yesterday with my wife for about 6 hrs fishing wing dams around T.I. Caught 1 large sheep head and a 24" walleye. Caught the walleye off a point casting a orange with black dots spoon. Great day to be on the water but fishing was slow. If I don't learn how to caught fish on the river soon I don't think she's going to be a happy fisherman. But all in all we had a great time as the weather, scenery and company was awesome.