• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports

Saturday was brutal. We stay along Highbanks and didn't even consider launching on birches or tamarack point, waves crashing over the dock. Landed at Mosomo and fished Cut Foot. Walleye fishing was slow so we decided to try crappies. With 3 guys in the boat we had our limit of 10-12" crappies in little over an hour.

Well...we launched from Mosomo and didn't travel far to find em wink

5-6 fow in mud bottom bays

New, what were you driving? we launched out of Birches. We were in the black gmc with a 1775 lund mr pike. Well, we were the only ones in the parking lot.

How was the fishing on Sunday? It seemed like the wind would have been perfect unlike the 20+ the past days. Are people still bringing in fish relatively easy?

The fish had a serious case of lockjaw. Marked'em like crazy and only picked up 2. Fished all day, all over, Highbanks to Stoney and everywhere in between on Sunday and saw maybe a dozen fish caught. As always I am sure someone hammered them, but we sure didn't!

Shadow colored suburban with a lund tyee 3.5. A family member came with for his first time on Winni and commented how Lund seemed to favored rig out there. You must have launched later in the day on Saturday. We checked it out early and it looked deadly. Nobody was parked there.

I second tcroz's report. The weather was nice on Sunday but our boat only caught 2 walleye. Luckily both were eaters.

I'm going to be camping out of Cut Foot starting June 11th... Any guesses on the water temp, and if they'll still be found shallow?

I concur with all the reports about sunday. The numbers of fish marked were unreal! Our two boats ended up keeping a couple limits but we only caught them when we were away from the crowd.

Fishing report for Deer River Minnesota, for area lakes Winnibigoshish, Sand, Bowstring, & Round lake. Bg Winnie has had the best action the last few days, fishing Highbanks areas and Plughat point areas, in 10 to 12 feet range 1/8 oz Jig & shiner has been the best presentation. Round lake also has been doing well, especially in the evenings, 9 to 11 feet of water again 1/8 oz jig and shiner being the best lure and bait combo, and a lot of northern pike action, the same goes for Sand lake & Bowstring, and limit is 9 per person as long there under 22 inches and 1 over 36 inches. walleye action has been fair to good, on these bodies of water.

Charlie Worrath

camped at northland had to trailer the boat to cutfoot to launch thurs,fri,and sat. mostly fished fut foot and did well in the Narrows thurs, fri, sat night, but sunday mourn they shut off. Shiners on a green hook worked well for me.

Sunday went out by the dam and drifted got our limit. will be back up this weekend camping in cutfoot, or on mille lacs, havnt decided

Tcroz,

When are you going to be up again and where are you staying? It looks like I'm going to be renting a house close to the old Judd's resort for the month of June. Drop me an email at [email protected].

Grant

We fished on the north shore rock pile and mallard point on Saturday and we did OK but not great I think we wound up with 16 for 4 of us. Fairly slow. On monday morning we fished the rock pile for a couple of hours and only got two for two of us. Hopefully most people did better than us.

Fished in front of High Banks. We caught 10 trolling lindy rigs and jigs. We tried Perch Bar with no luck. We also picked up 2 on Mallard hump in 18 feet on a jig. I caught one female by High Banks that had been fanning her nest, her tail was all rubbed raw. She was 24 inches and skinny as a rail. Pretty slow overall compared to years past. When the wind blew we caught fish and when it was calm we didnt get a thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Deer River, Minnesota, Winnibigoshish and Leech Lake area. Walleye

Fishing On the two big lakes continues to be good to getting better

every day. I fished Leech last Wednesday and caught good numbers of fish

under the slot, plus alot of fish in the slot! It seemed the magic depth

was 15 to 16 foot and again the Northland Fireball Jig tipped with a

shiner was what they really wanted. Lake Winnie continues to produce

good numbers of Walleyes fishing a jig and minnow in 8 to 10 foot of

water. Some days you have to move around a little to find them it seems

but at the end of the day we are usually in pretty good shape. Bait

dealers still have spot tailed shiners left but starting to get low so

that means it wont be long and the go to bait will be a Lindy Rig and

Leech! Good luck and good fishing.

Jeff Skelly

218-246-8086

Fished the weeds on the east side of Tamarack pt. on friday and caught some nice perch that we released but no walleyes so we went out to Highbanks and searched around until we found them and did great. Between my friend Steve and me we each released a limit of bigger fish between 17" and 21" and still caught enough eaters for a nice meal. We did best in the 12' to 15' range depending on wind and rain. When we started there were no boats within a mile of us and when we left there were close to 20 boats in the area. We fished anywhere from Highbanks resort down to the Birch's access. We went to the same spot on Saturday and managed to keep 5 and release another dozen of smaller and bigger one's but the bite was a lot tougher but was a little better when you got away from all the other boats. Most boats were in 15' but we did better by going to 12' and long lining our jigs. Fred's still had a nice supply of shiner's but with the warmer temps they will be done spawning soon.

Nice job Sir Jim, but you were fishing in my spot. Did you leave any for me. Also did you happen to mow the yard while you were there. smilesmilewink

Nice job Sir Jim, but you were fishing in my spot. Did you leave any for me. Also did you happen to mow the yard while you were there. smilesmilewink

I left you plenty of fish and just could not find any time to mow grin

A buddy and I hit Winnie at the crack of dawn yesterday morning. We tried the weeds east of Tamarack Pt. and had a few bites w/ jig/minnow, but weren't impressed. We headed out to the north humps and immediately I had a 22" crush my blue spinner/leech combo. My buddy missed a couple on a jig minnow and then we did a bunch of hump hopping with no results. We hit the north shore and trolled cranks in 12' of water and ended up with a few small 'eyes. Lots of mayfly's at the landing and lots of shells on the water.

Brian

Ended up with 10 this evening had to throw a few back. Fished a small hump that topped out at 13ft with 20ft around. Just slip bobbers and leach. We were using green and chartreuse jigs 1/16oz. Set at anywhere from a 6in. to a foot and half off the bottom.

It was a little tough trying to get the anchor to hold with the wind. Just ended up circle the spot with the trolling motor and casting to the center.

Went out again last night. Caught 6 only able to put two in the box. The other 4 were a 21,22,23,24. And yes i find that ironic

Lake Winnie continues to produce! Walleyes can be found one day out deep in 20 to 25 foot of water and the next day there gone and we have been able to find them shallow in about 7 foot. In the shallows Rapala's Shad Raps in the #5 size seem to work or a jig and minnow. Panfishing for Crappie and big Bluegills has also been real good in the shallows. The wind the last two days has made moving around and going where we need to go a little tough.

Good luck

when the lake is rough we found that lindy rigging with a #6 owner rig with a red bead has been working well. just putt around and find humps and drift them with the sock

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished up a week on Winnie. Had 4 days in a row where it was almost too nice. Thursday the lake was angry and stayed off. Friday was still rolling but went out. Fished mid lake humps all week. Green spinners with leeches and 1/2 oz bottom bouncers was the ticket. Me and my son boated over 100 eyes. It was not fast and furious, just a steady bite. 1/3 Were eater size and 2/3 were over the slot. This is my 14th year spending a week on Winnie and can say I really appreciate the way the lake has been managed. Did some bonus crappies fishing one evening with the son and daughter in the narrows. Boated over 50 in 2 hours. Let them all go. Another great week on a great lake.

wow what a week of fishing nothing but wind and cool temps. I fished winnie the first day with limited luck. the fish were out deep on the humps and we had a 20 mph wind so there was no chance of getting out there. I ended up fishing in the weeds where ever I could find a weed I fished,and we managed a few walleye, some perch and a few3 Northern that were pretty nice size. we were using 1/8 oz gumballs and a shiner minnow.

Sand lkae the second day and again 20-30 mph winds we went to shoreline and humps that topped out at 7-12 ft and fished again in the weeds. we did better on the walleyes that day we must have caught 30-40 fish but only kept 12 lots of small fish. we also got lots of northern and some dandy perch.

then we were off to bowstring the next day again 20-30 mph winds we couldnt fish the deeper drops I wanted to it was just too windy. we fished some small humps on the west side with no success just perch and northern. we also tried the shoreline and nothing but northern and small perch so it was a bust for me.

good luck fishing

Jason Boser

I'll be up there next weekend beginning the 17th. I'll be staying at Winnie Campground. ANyone ever been there? Nice campground?

Also, been reading some of the reports and it seems like everyone is trying to fish the humps with a jig and a shiner minnow, is this the best way to start? My family will be coming up from Texas and I would like to put them on some fish. Don't really care what kind just want to keep their rod tips dancing. Thanks for all the help.

Rollie

• The title was changed to Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked