• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gregg52

• bmc

• Corey20

• jigglestick

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cruised on over to Winni and set up at about 3:30 this afternoon. I can't really call it setting up since I drilled one hole and fished out the side of my vehicle lol. I was thinking on setting up in

There is one heck of a road coming out of the west side by the river, thanks to Becker's Resort and McArdle's resort.  There is a paybox at the beginning of the road that I advise stopping by and drop

Posted Images

fished all day monday. morning was slow. moved to a small mid lake hump in the afternoon and picked a few perch and eyes before two. at about 5 pm it was on for the eyes. 4 of us kept 12 from 14-16.5" threw back about 20 that were 10-12" and 5 over 17. the biggest was 21. you could look down the hole in the portable and see them swimming around. it was cool. at one point it looked like a bunch of sharks down there. there was walleyes everywhere. fun trip for me and the kids.

just curious wingnut was it a big hump or a small

was it one you have fished before or did you just find it

i just happen on one last week and it was loaded with big fish

most over 22 i'm thinkin it might me a good tourment hump for hat one over 26

but you never know hump can produce good then nothing

it was a small hump i had never fished before. i was trying to get to another spot when i came across this spot with the gps. looked like no one had fished it so i gave it a try. punched her in for next year. wink

Fished on Sat on the east side and the perch were slow. Had to work for what I caught. Hoped to catch a couple of walleyes at sunset and didn't even have any luck with that. Talked to a warden and he said that most people he talked to on Sat said it was slow to. Oh well just fun to get out

Was up there out of HighBanks from Thursday through Sunday. Me, my dad, and my girlfriend's brother made the trip. It was his first time ever fishing and as it usually goes the rookie caught the most fish!! But we ended up with 10 eyes (14-16.5"), 6 pike (19-24"), and 46 perch (9-11") for the weekend. About 95% of our fish were caught between 6-8am or 4-7 pm. Also caught about 10 eyes that were too big to keep and many smaller eyes and perch.

brady this is my first time replying iwas just wondering if you fish out by zoomers bar or some where else out from high banks i am going up on the 5th to the 8th of march we were going to start at zoomers with the wheel house if i may ask what did you catch the fish on if any one else has a litle info on fishing out of high banks it would be helpful thanks

We were in the area that is called "The big hump" on our map. When they showed up for us they would bite whatever we had down there. My best luck was jigging a pimple as I could get it back down the fastest when they were there.

AllThumbs

I was with a group that fished Winnie Thurs, Fri, and Sat (feb 26-28) for our annual winnie trip.

We fished rebel with some success. not great, but ok. We fished the north side of zoomers - nothing. We struck gold near center bar on Saturday. Three of the guys limited out with the smallest perch being 10". The rest of us were close to limits - but we had some 8-9" perch in the bag.

You can travel anywhere on the lake with a 4x4 truck. We did not get stuck once. There is no slush under the snow. The snow is so hard, you mostly just drive on top of it. It is a very bumpy ride. There are many small frozen drifts that remind you that you are off road - often. I lost another mud flap again this year. That is two years in a row now. But, since they were both back tire flaps, it all matches now.

The ice was 30 - 32" thick every where I drilled. I did not put my extension on. My Jiffy has a 36" auger that worked fine - but the transfer case was flush with the top of the snow/ice most of the time before breaking through.

The High Banks access was in awesome shape again this year. No problems at all accessing the lake.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Jigglestick for a few minutes at the bar Saturday night.

There was an open crack by center bar on Saturday that was 8-12" wide. The water was open all day in that crack - even though it was 3 degrees out before the windchill. One of the crew steps into it by accident and was wet up to his thigh. (or, as he puts it - nut high in the crack).

jigglestick

allthumbs, I believe that would be nut deep in the crack grin

glad you caught some jumbo's.

I'm going to go out this afternoon and or tomorrow to see if I can find a nice mess. then back to work, slowly pulling the houses towards shore.

nice to meet you fellas. hope the ride home was good.

we are officially into march madness. the period of ice fishing when light jackets, hole hopping and buckets full of fish are common sights.

30 degrees fore casted for tomorrow and 35 the next day.

bring it on!

croixeyes

Allthumbs and Jigglestick,thanks for the report.Heading up there this friday for a few days of perch chasin.See ya on the ice grin

Bobberboy

AllThumbs

Sounds like you guys had a good time

How deep were you fishing for those perch?

AllThumbs

we were in 18 feet of water. I put away the vexlar - it was not needed. You could see the bottom and watch them take your bait.

hey allthumbs, was just wondering what size the bigger fish were running in your limits. i remember 5 years ago we would be pulling in 13s and some close to 14s and the last 2 years or so if we wanted to put fish in the bucket they were 10s. still nice fish though. still hoping to get up there sometime this month.

allthumbs we are heading up on the 5th -8th of march going out of high banks for the first time did high banks road go out to center bar and whate side of bar did you fish you said 18 feet so were you on top of bar did you use jiging stuff smallthings like demans with live bait i am going to be pulling my 8 by 16 drop downe willthat make it out there

croixeyes this is rap man i am new to this sight were going up the 5th to the 8th are you going out of high banks and do you think you will fish that airea not sure where to fish 1st time for me

Buck Snort 2

Sounds like there will be people on the lake this weekend. I'll be up with a few buddies Thursday - Sunday. First time back to Winnie since 2003. I have GPS and map chip to help out. From reading posts, it looks like Rebel,around Center Bar in 18 feet and a 24-25 foot flat close to Zoomers are the places to look for fish.

Thanks for the info guys and anything else that can be shared would be greatly appreciated. I've been designated 'Da Guide' for this trip so the pressure is on.

AllThumbs

I do not have my GPS with me at work, so I am not sure what side of the bar we were on. We were east of the crack I mentioned though.

But, I do want to point out. I first setup my shanty 25 feet from the guys getting all of the fish - in 18ft of water. for 1.5 hours - I did not see a fish. I moved my shanty to within 10 feet of them. Then I started catching the fish. You had to be on the "fish track" to catch them. Other shantys 15 feet away were only getting a fish here and there.

AllThumbs

Yes. This was my 6th year fishing. I remember it the same way. This year, I do not recall seeing a fish over 13". most were 10 - 11.5".

AllThumbs

As far as the lures we used, it did not seem to matter. I happened to be using a Genz worm - glow in the dark white with the red hook. But, they were really aggressive and biting everything.

Just now have time to report trip from Fri-Tues. Spent my first part of the trip chasing crappies in the area with good success thanks to an infamous/notorious guide. Even pailed an honestly measured 13"er. In desperate need of a shower, moved to Highbanks Monday afternoon. With a well scrubbed nether region, it was time for perchin. Set on a 22' flat and pounded perch. Only pailed 2 but should have kept alot more after looking at the cleaning pails. Could have easily had my 20 keeping 9"ers. This was out of a hard house set up with no hole hopping except from one end of the house to the other. Used a couple different perch colored jigs and deadstick with a white hook. Small/tiny crappie minnows were the key even when jigging early with only a minnow head. Best bite was 4:30 to dark. Can't wait until next year.

jigglestick

great to see you Brycie!

sorry I couldn't make it out monday. still trying to shake this bronchitis stuff. it's getting old.

went out today with the nice weather and it's got me coughing again.

sure was nice out. can't stand any more than two days indoors. I don't care if I was in the hospital, they'd better find a way to wheel me outdoors if only for a little while.

I was wondering how you did in the promised land.

to bad you couldn't find your own way to the holy land, you'd still be cleaning fish grin

bucksnort i will be up on the 5th i am going two start out by zoomers got a spot or too to try be driving a silver doge ram with a 8by16 ice castle tan color stop buy if you wish i will be driving around in truck with fish trap if nothing in big house good luck

Buck Snort 2

rapman,

Thanks for the invite.

One of the guys I'll be with got a new truck that we're taking and I won't know what it looks like unitl they show up in my driveway. I know its a 4 door and we'll be pulling a 4x8 trailer.

I have a black Frabil 2- man flip-over and I don't know what the other 2 guys have for a house.

We will be the 4 guys on the ice that really don't look like they know what they are doing.

Good Luck!

jigglestick

no problem for any 4x4. most areas you can navigate in two wheel drive.

I went out off the end of the big island road and north to the zumers road. no trouble at all. I had to cross the pressure crack, but it was good to go where I crossed it.

with the warm temps, the ice is moving alot. keep an eye open for new cracks or buldges. the buldge on the zumers road was ok to cross yesterday. I see some people stopped when they saw it and turned around. just watch out for cracks that are obviously new.

DO NOT assume you can just dive over any road bank either. I noticed some new cracks in the road banks in places and some of them had dropped like 6 inches.

just use your heads...and eyes

thanks for the info ! staying at little winn this weekend . are the perch still deep . or have they moved in shallow?

brickpounder

Looks like quite a few guys are coming up this weekend. A group of three of us are coming up Sun-Tues. Third time up for us this winter. I'm excited to try my new XOG out. On sale at cabelas for$150 plus you get a free ram mount, vehicle adapter, pc adapter and free shipping so you can't go wrong. This device will pay for itself over and over unless it goes down the hole like the last one.

• Jim Panfish Uran unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Lake of the Woods is ice free!  Walleye anglers are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener on May 15th.  Based on the big fish in the Rainy River this spring, there is a lot of excitement!
      The pike season is open year-round on LOW and the Rainy River.  Backwater areas and back bays are where pike spawning activity is taking place.  The pike limit is 3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  Most practice catch and release with a nice photo on big fish, and there are a lot of big pike being caught.
      On the Rainy River...   The spring walleye season closed with good success.  Despite varying clarity and some spring rains pushing debris into the water, hearty walleye anglers still pulled some very good fish last week.  Now looking toward the walleye opener.  
      Sturgeon fishing this past week was excellent.  Sturgeon of all sizes being caught which bodes well for the health of the fishery which is very strong.  Sturgeon catch and release season through 4/23/21.  Keep season 4/24/21 - 5/7/21, (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.  Harvest season, 7/1/21 - 9/30/21.
      A 4-6 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops / resorts have rigs and bait available.
      Find a deeper spot or hole in a stretch of the river, anchor up and still fish the bottom.  Your bait sends a scent trail the sturgeon will find!
      Up at the NW Angle...  The NW Angle is ice free and everyone is looking forward to the May 15th fishing opener.  There are many ways to access Angle resorts.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• BigTrucka
      By BigTrucka
      Hey all, just moved back to MN where I grew up after living in the PNW for a long while. I became addicted to fishing rivers and streams out there and have started to check out the offerings in the NW section of the state as of yesterday’s opener. Wondering if anyone has experience in this area and can give me some pointers or just tell me if I’m wasting my time since that’s what I’m wondering right now since I didn’t find any signs of fish. I’m using a spinning rod with Mepp’s and Panther Martin style spinners and went through a bunch of color combos. I started yesterday morning at the Clearwater River in western Beltrami County essentially on the border with Clearwater County where the state has some land and a pretty lengthy easement. Probably a well known area. Beautiful area to walk through. Found multiple holes, but yeah no fish at all. I waded for a bit and decided to leave. I went south since I live closer to Moorhead and stopped at Felton Creek. I’ve read a DNR study about this creek having a decreasing population of fish, but it’s still considered a trout stream although not “designated”. I understand the channelization of creeks in this region ruined fish habitat over the last 100 years, but still find some DNR material as of the last 5 years that reference Felton Creek as a spot for trout. Walked the stream for a bit before I left and headed to Lawndale Creek south of Barnesville. I waded through the AMA on the Atherton WMA expecting to find some brook trout since the DNR has stocked it as of at least 2017. Nothing through the entire stretch besides frogs and minnows. Are there actually fish in these places? The Clearwater and Lawndale are designated trout streams. The Clearwater is stocked annually and Lawndale is supposed to have wild brook trout. Anyone have any experience in these spots? Should’ve just drove down MN200 & 71 to the obvious spots in Becker/Hubbard?
    • SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      Someone had to kick things off.

I caught some shrimp at the grocery store over the weekend. I'm hoping to see some spawning walleye this weekend. Who knows where they will be in a month when we are all allowed to actually fish for them!
    • Coleman
      By Coleman
      Has anyone been on the water of areas lakes?  Kinda curious what the water temps are hovering around?  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... The lake is still ice covered with big stretches of open water which is expanding daily.  Anglers fishing the lake are fishing in front of the Lighthouse Gap where the Rainy River enters LOW.  Anglers are allowed a limit of walleyes and saugers on the lake, but catch and release only on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River during the spring walleye season which lasts through April 14.  The walleye season opens again on May 15th.
      Pike Fishing.  Open water is available in the back bays such as various Four Mile Bay, Bostic Creek, Zippel Bay and backwaters on the Rainy River where pike spawn.  Some nice pike being caught in shallow water areas.  These areas are off of the main lake and perfect for small boats.  The pike season is open year round on LOW and the Rainy River.  3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  
      On the Rainy River...   This past week was nothing short of incredible for walleye fishing on the Rainy River.  Large numbers of big walleyes were caught and released.  Many fish 30 - 33+ inches in the mix.  Exactly why anglers love the Rainy River in the spring.  
      Good reports up and down the river including Four Mile Bay.
      A 3/8 - 1/2 ounce jig is working nicely tipped with a minnow or a plastic.  Bright plastics and frozen shiners working best on jigs.  Some anglers trolling crankbaits with success to cover water.  
      Sturgeon fishing continues to be good with good numbers of sturgeon being caught.  Most anglers targeting holes in the river.  Some sturgeon being caught on rolling sand dunes with fish laying in the depressions. Wherever there is food and a bit of slacker water!
      With lower current, a 3 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops have rigs and bait available.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Locals are able to get their boats from the mainland (Angle Inlet) to most areas of the islands.  Looking ahead to open water, there are various ways to travel to the NW Angle this summer without crossing the border.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  There is also the Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (charter boat shuttle to Angle).  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• leech~~
      By leech~~
      Whats your guess? 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... Most of the lake is still ice covered with the exception of large areas adjacent to inflowing water such as the Lighthouse Gap (Rainy River) and Morris Point Gap (Bostic Creek) areas.  Open water is expanding daily.  Anglers are allowed a limit of walleyes and saugers on the lake, but catch and release only on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River through April 14. 
      Open water is becoming available in many of the back bays around the lake where pike spawn.  The pike season is open year round on LOW and the Rainy River.  3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  
      On the Rainy River...   River fishing started out strong, slowed down with cold weather and the Big Fork and Little Fork Rivers spilling mud into the Rainy River and now is picking up again.  The water is clearing and water temps are on the rise.
      A 3/8 - 1/2 ounce jig is working nicely tipped with a minnow or a plastic.  Bright plastics and frozen shiners working best on jigs.  Walleyes caught in various depths down to 35 feet.  
      Some anglers trolling crankbaits with success to cover water.  Walleye season is catch and release only on Rainy River and Four Mile Bay through April 14th.
      Sturgeon fishing continues to be good with good numbers of sturgeon being caught.  Sturgeon aren't as affected by dirty water as they feed by scent.  Sturgeon catch and release season through 4/23/21.  Keep season 4/24/21 - 5/7/21, (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.  Closed 5/16/21 - 6/30/21.
      With lower current, a 3 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops have rigs and bait available.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Various areas are starting to open up.  Looking ahead to open water, there are various ways to travel to the NW Angle this summer without crossing the border.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  There is also the Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (charter boat shuttle to Angle).  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• Mata Eveleth
      By Mata Eveleth
      Hey just trying to find a report that says like on March 20th, 2021 the water level measured at Crane Lake was.. say 18 feet 6 inches.. measured again on April 5th, 2021 and the depth is now at 17 feet six inches.. something simple. been searching around this web site.. and way to complex.. KISS   Keep it short and simple.. over and out.. same thing any web site you just want a bit of info.. and all this run around crap.. pffff.
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      Made my long awaited return to the Rush yesterday. Never got a WI license last year, so it was good to be back! Beautiful weather! But conditions could not have been worse for trout! Water was lowest I’ve ever seen! And gin clear, without a single cloud in the sky. We were fortunate to catch the 3 we did. Way too many people out for my liking. But our gear worked, and our boots didn’t leak 😁 so it was a great day as far as I’m concerned.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end... Ice fishing is all finished up on the main lake.  The focus is on back bays for big pike and areas of open water on the lake for walleyes.  The pike season is open year round on LOW and the Rainy River.  3 fish per day, 30-40 inches must be released, one over 40" allowed.  
      Anglers are allowed a limit of walleyes and saugers on the lake, but catch and release only on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River through April 14.  A limit of walleyes and saugers is a combined limit of 6 fish with up to 4 being walleyes.  Walleyes 19.5-28.0 inches must be released with one allowed over 28 inches.  The walleye season runs through April 14th and starts up again May 15th for the MN Fishing Opener.
      On the Rainy River...   Five boat ramps are open on the Rainy River and there are 42 miles of open water for fishing.  Nelson Park in Birchdale, Frontier, Vidas (near Clementson), Timbermill Park in Baudette and the Wheeler's Point access at the mouth of the river 12 miles north of Baudette are all open.  
      River fishing has started out strong.  Good numbers of walleyes are being caught by some with trophy fish in the mix.  A 3/8 - 1/2 ounce jig is working nicely tipped with a minnow or a plastic.  Walleye season is catch and release only on Rainy River and Four Mile Bay through April 14th.
      Sturgeon fishing continues to be excellent with big numbers of sturgeon being caught.  Sturgeon catch and release season through 4/23/21.  Keep season 4/24/21 - 5/7/21, (45-50", or over 75")  Catch and release 5/8/21 - 5/15/21.
      With lower current, a 3 ounce no-roll sinker combined with a sturgeon rig (18" snell of 60 lb test with a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook) with a glob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both is the ticket.  Local bait shops have rigs available.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Looking ahead to open water, there are various ways to travel to the NW Angle this summer without crossing the border.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  There is also the Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (charter boat shuttle to Angle).  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jkrash
      Here's the current survey report from the DNR. 2020 Lake Vermilion Lake Survey Report.pdf 2020 Discussion Appendix A.pdf
    • CigarGuy
      Funny guy🙂. Got skunked again 🙂 tonight. Might need to try your idea. Lots of boats heading to Black Bay this evening. Saw the new barge service heading that way. Wonder how long before the local barge service will be down here?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I hear that to catch suspended crappies, it is best for the fisherman to be suspended as well. I suggest crawling out to the end of yours!
    • SkunkedAgain
      True - although the DNR tries to make us all feel better by saying that the number of fry that survive is higher due to their re-introduction back into Vermilion. In theory that means that we will not have as good of a 2020 walleye class, but as we know there are so many other factors that go into it.   As you said, it's an experiment - a very uncontrolled experiment
    • CigarGuy
      My dock is still up in the air🙂
    • leech~~
      Maybe you have to switch to your dock? 😄
    • CigarGuy
      Been fishing the neighbors dock in Partridge River the last 3 evenings and have only caught 2 crappies. Don't have the boat in the water yet.
    • JerkinLips
      Since most of the hatchery fry are sent to other lakes, the skipped year shouldn't have too much of an effect on the Vermilion population.  From the numbers I recall, the fry put back into Vermilion from the hatchery is slightly higher than their PREDICTED natural hatch would be (which all stay in Vermilion).  Will be interesting to see what the results of this "experiment" will be.  Maybe they will have to increase the percentage of hatchery fry going back into Vermilion to match the actual natural hatch (which may be better than they estimate).
    • BigVTim
      I'm headed up this weekend to dust off the camper. Is it worth bringing the boat for Crappies? Any one heard any reports? I'm assuming they are still deep but maybe with the early ice out they are already up in black bay. Cheers! I'll be nice just to smell the cold north air again.
    • Rick
      With extreme fire risk conditions across northwest Minnesota today, the National Weather Service has issued a Red Flag Warning for the following counties: Clay, Kittson, Marshall, Norman, Pennington, Polk, Red Lake, Roseau and Wilkin. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.