• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports

Seriously? Has anyone bothered to go online and look at the 2013 survey. 80% of all walleyes sampled were under 19". I am impressed that you all have degrees in fisheries biology. Its that dam dnr again out to get us all! just for spite. Maybe the reason that your only catching big fish so far is that the males and females are seperated right now for the most part. The under 17 slot has worked on many lakes and in my opinion fishing has definitely improved overall on winnie since its induction.

No fisheries biologist by any means. But, I fish Winnie 50-6o days a summer and there are numerous days where it is tough to catch anything but slots. Granted many of these fish are 17-18 inches but nevertheless they need to go back. That is why I'm in favor of relaxing the slot and lowering the limit. I have neighbors who have been on the lake for 30 plus years and they agree. I am lucky to be on the lake that much for the summer. A resorter who has only a week and wants some walleyes to take home and eat....one slot fish per day can make their day.

• 1 year later...

Wondering if the shiners are being trapped yet?  They should be in the shallows I would think.  Looking forward to a good opener on Winnie.  Was at the cabin last weekend and the lake is way up. They are not letting much water out due to the wet conditions south.  Shouldn't have any problem getting your big boats in and out of the lake this year.  Good Luck to all!!!

Temp was 50 last Saturday in the waves.  Should warm up a bit more in the coming 80 degree days.  I'm guessing the traps are in at Red and there should be an ample supply by opener.  I'm also guessing the opener will be a good one if the shiners have moved in. 

Not Winnie but pretty close by & we were out early this morning. We found surface temps ~55

56 on the west shore, 58-62 in sugar lake.  Shiners traps are in on the shoreline.  

Sounds like the shiners are in good supply for opener.  Talked to several different resorts and they said they will have plenty. Looks like the weather is going to be the biggest challenge. Fish are going to be a little deeper than usual until we get some heat I'd think.

• The topic was unlocked

There is one heck of a road coming out of the west side by the river, thanks to Becker's Resort and McArdle's resort.  There is a paybox at the beginning of the road that I advise stopping by and dropping at least $12 in because that's what other resorts charge on Winnie. This road will take you half way across the lake on the north side into and across some deep and shallow flats. I found 36' in one spot, I'm a Winnie rookie, I  found 15' not to far away from that 36' and set up the Eskimo and got the girls' lines down and they immediately started catching bigger fish then we did closer to the west side. Lot's of nice perch and the gals had a blast. The bigger ones seemed to bite more right at dark and a little after. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cruised on over to Winni and set up at about 3:30 this afternoon. I can't really call it setting up since I drilled one hole and fished out the side of my vehicle lol. I was thinking on setting up in deep water to see if there were any tullibees around but the first hole read 17' with fish on the bottom so I started fishing and pulling up the usual mix of perch but they were a little faster and more furious tonight. There was always fish there waiting for me to drop down, like usual there was a lot of sorting but I kept 10 in the 9 to 10" range. I also caught a dandy 5 lb slimer that I took home and filleted up. I think I'll head back there tomorrow with the fam. 

Went out of Becker's/McArdles's road.. Make sure to slap some money in the box on the way out, they do an amazing job on their roads. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Was out there last Tues-Thurs and I have to say the action was extremely slow. Tuesday night through Wednesday only one walleye on the rattle reel with a large shiner.  Perch were moving around in about 17-18 feet but not hungry.

Thursday I was out in about 27 feet and the fish were definitely hungry but it was only small perch less than 6" in length with a couple in the 8-9" range late in the afternoon, I wouldn't have gotten them without the camera though.

Really had higher hopes, maybe next time.

• 3 months later...

When we went to GR last Friday, I not sure there was even 1/2 a dozen rigs at the PA on 46. It was early, 9 ish, & going to get pretty hot but :confused:

Only 2 rigs at the same PA this morning about 8:30.

Edited by gunner55

Spent Wednesday through Saturday there, lots of 20 - 22 inch fish caught on the big lake, took home some nice eaters from Cut Foot. Lots of boats were out there with the weather getting better after the big storms earlier in the week. No luck in the narrows, but found fish in the 10 - 14 foot depth range on Cut Foot. 

• Thumbs Up 2

nice report birdguy!!!!! I too was up close to Winnie. caught some sunfish, buy mainly a work around the cabin weekend!!!!!!!

Thanks Smurfy, Big Sandy is next on the agenda. I like fishing the structure on the big basin area on the north end of the lake in mid summer, always worth a trip or two.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later...

So, I’ve been to Third River in early December ‘17 for some spearing and fishing.  We came across a few nice pike and were on 10-11 inches of ice.  I hear it’s running about 16 inches there now.

Checking resort websites I see there is up to 14 inches on the lake in other areas but I’m still a little leary about picking an area to spend next weekend on the lake. 

Has anyone heard news of the lake other than what I just mentioned?  Any fish reports?

We’re pulling some ideas together from various sources.  It’s been a little surprising how little traffic there is on Winnie these days in general.

Highbanks is just starting to plow roads; 16-18 inches of ice.

Denny’s had a walleye bite going but it faded with the cold front.  Perch available if you look for them.

Pike and perch 7-12 fow.

West side they just started driving on a couple days ago.  Rental fish houses going out this weekend.

Thats about all I know right now.

I have a truck with a V plow, 21 foot toy hauler, wheeler and porty ready to go.  2 augers and depth finders and some ambition.  We’ll see what happens.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

good luck, the family cabin is about 40 miles a bit north and east of there. i had plans on heading up there over the new years weekend but obviously i had to change plans......that and the temps i wasn't going either. there are warmer weekends. been down that road......no fun when it gets that cold!!!!!!!!

my bride said highbanks reporting 15-18 inches of ice and 4 inches of snow on the lake. and there currently are no plowed roads. the resort will open Jan 3rd!!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Sounds like there are still some hazardous areas on the main lake but roads are forming.  Predictably the bite is coming back with the warmer temps.

Good luck All, wherever you go!

Just getting settled in after the weekend.  Ugh!  That wind was brutal!  -20 temps on Friday night had us plop the wheelhouse pretty quick and we wound up about 5 feet too deep, which was really only 1 length of the house.  The silver lining was we picked up a couple nice ‘pout which we wanted.  A 17 in walleye and a perch made the bucket too.  The 22 in walleye had to go back.

Instead of just up from the 24 ft of water, we just went to another spot all together for last night and today.  The night bite was worse.  Non existent really.  But today’s bite was much better in 20 and hole hopping from 13 to 30 feet around the house produced a nice mixed bag walleyes, perch, pike and tullibees.

Shiners out did fat heads on set lines.  The perch and tullibees helped us get our jiggin fix.  

I’d say 20 inches of ice and about 32 degree surface temps. ;)

• 2 months later...

Anyone know information on the Ice Rd going off of Trapp Rd? I know Beckers maintains it but looking for info on ridges in that area. Looking to get out to Sugar Bar area this weekend. 

• 1 year later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

With warming water the fishing is picking up on the flats in 15' to 19' of water. Walleyes are on the edges and perch are roaming the tops. The walleyes are also starting to feed shallow coming in on the points in deeper water leading all the way up to very shallow water at dusk and dawn.

Minnows and jigs with plastics have been effective. Decent size leeches have been tough to come by but the wzlleyes really like these on a Lindy rig presentation.That’s not to say you can’t catch walleyes on the points and shoreline breaks during low-light periods or windy conditions. A jig and minnow or leeches are both producing fish.

PSX_20190613_081736.jpg.290726db1b3cbf2c143d3825ab4b23c0.jpg

If you're close to the weeds you can expect some dandy pike.

• 4 months later...

From High Banks Resort

Happy New Year!!
Ice Update:  11" of ice with 20" of snow cover. No truck travel. No wheel houses. No ATV's.   No ice roads.  Snowmobile traffic only.  All of High Banks guests for the weekend starting Jan 3 will be shuttled to their rental houses.  Call with questions, 218 246-2560 High Banks Resort

Lake Winnie fishing report.

There’s 15 inches of ice on the main lake as of January 16th, 2020, but less in areas along the shore so resorts continue to be limited with plowing options.

There’s also 12 to 24 inches of snow across the lake making snowmobiles the only way people are getting out. There is a little bit of flooding when holes are drilled, but our cold weather has been freezing existing water, making snowmobile travel easier.

Perch fishing has been good on the shoreline breaks and main lake structure and some walleyes continue to be caught on the humps and bars early and late each.

Bring a snowmobile and contact resorts for access availability.

FB_IMG_1579323323374.jpg.a3667c5ec15de691bdfa5102d2b33067.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports