• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports

Hey Corey, nice finish today in the MTT. Funny, 2 years ago in the same Sunday tourney my friend and I got a 3rd with the exact same weight!

the key to bobber fishing as in any other lake you need to be on

fish

i've caught lots of fish on bobbers in the cutfoot and the big lake

mostly on top of humps or rock that top off around 10 ft on breezy days

10mph or better wind

Hey Corey, nice finish today in the MTT. Funny, 2 years ago in the same Sunday tourney my friend and I got a 3rd with the exact same weight!

Hey thanks, it sure was tough out there with the changing conditions! I will add to the funny, last year same day we took 3rd but the real kicker is the same team took 4th last year and this year haha.

I was out the 21-24th for the MTT. Thursday my dad and I went out, even though it was windy we wanted to check a lot of spots, so we didn't get a whole lot of time in fishing. We ended up fishing some mid lake flats, south bars and some of the north humps. We caught some nice keepers and a few 20-23".

Friday my dad and I each took out our boats to cover more water. It was flat calm so it was nice for running. He covered the north end and I covered the middle and south end. It seemed early morning on the north humps was good but shut off most places for him by 10-11am. My first 5 fish in the box were too big so I moved on and fished the bars the rest of the day. By 2pm we decided to get off the water. I had caught around 12 fish with 4 being keepers and my dad had caught a good number with 6 keepers.

Saturday started with a nasty storm and wind. Fished close to the east shore and once it set down began to run around. Only had caught 6 between 14-17" but had 2-24's, 25 and a few others in the low 20's. Ended in 19th for saturday but with the conditions we were happy just to get our fish.

Sunday started out windier then it was supposed to be. Had 2 fish in the box at 10 and knew we better start moving. Next stop I marked only a few fish but decided to work it for a bit. In the next 20 minutes we put for in the box. From there we jumped around and upgraded 4 of our fish. We had 13 between 14-17"(not in the boat!) we came in with 10. Had 6 over 16" with a couple just under 17" which was good enough for 3rd place.

Lindy rigs with leeches and crawlers is what we used all weekend. Fished some flats in 13-15' and some 16-19'. When the wind allowed us to we fished smaller humps and worked the edges. Depending on the time of day and area of the lake leeches or crawlers would catch more. We always started each spot with both and went from there.

By the looks of the leader board and also from talking with others it was a tough weekend and I would agree with that. Made some key decisions and got a little lucky lol. Headed back up tomorrow for the weekend so we'll see if the bite has changed.

I won't lie, I like to see that midlake bite dying off as it usually does about now. That only means once again as usual, our annual trip next week should see a good bite fishing the way we like to. You fishing the 2 day Corey. I'll be up all next week and could possibly pass on some info to you. Shoot me a message on here if you want. I expect a fine bite.

Well we are back from our annual trip and we found the walleye fishing to be pretty darn good. Early in the week was a bit inconsistent but we caught fish trolling some flats in that 10-12'. Wednesday morning I decided to go bar hopping. I hit 8 different bars marking fish everywhere but finding no takers. I finally came across a great bite on the final stop.3 keepers and 6 overs in an hour. The next morning with some fine tuning we had a 2 man limit as well as 7 overs in 2 hours. That evening I took my wife and father in law out there and I spent a couple hours netting their fish. Spinners and leeches were the ticket to this point. Friday the wind laid down and the spinner bite slowed a touch. Mid morning with fish still on the graph we decided to pull a few cranks around. It was a good move as covering a bit more ground put some more keepers in the box. It was a good week and it was nice to find a good bite away from the crowd. Friday I also ran into Corey on the water. I'm not going to lie, I was drooling over that skeeter! Judging by the results of day 1 of the tourney, the bite was pretty solid for most.

James- Thanks for the compliment, its been a great boat! The bite really picked up all over the lake on saturday. I kinda wish it would have stayed tougher haha. We had 13 keepers with all but 2 being 15-16.75 and 18 on sunday. Had a few nice over fish, biggest was 24.5 and had another tank on that I am willing to bet was bigger as it didnt want to move and the hook pulled out. It was a great 3.5 days of fishing and I think for the first time this year I am gonna take a weekend off and try out the new golf clubs!

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty quiet on here so thought I would post my results from the weekend.

Fishing was a bit tough.... I was fishing with my wife which meant Im basically fishing alone with some company in the boat - good time none the less. Under such circimstances, its easy enough to troll cranks and thats pretty much what we spent the majority of the time doing. We caught Walleye in a few spots which was encouraging as the one spot is typically not very good mid summer, a sign things may be changing. We marked fish most everywhere we went, they just didnt appear to be very aggressive. Most fish were keepers with a few slots and evening time was by far better fishing than during the day. We threw some slip bobbers out from the mouth of the river and on the rocks for a couple hours Saturday with no luck. Was told that a certain resorts gut buckets were loaded with pan fish so we gave cutfoot a try as well as the mouth to the flowage for some pannies with little luck. I continue my stance that finding and catching pannies is more of a challenge on Winnie than Walleyes. Of coarse the time I have spent doing both over the years is a heavy ratio of Walleye fishing.

Great weekend of fishing and weather, catching was so-so!

Will be there for a week starting Saturday 20AUG11... if you see a 19 Ft Black Lund Tyee with 3 dogs in it say HI!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been hearing some pretty bad reports coming off Winnie! Saturday my mom, dad and myself went out from 11-3:30. We started out rigging the humps and right away got 3 in the box then it kind of shut off, so we headed out towards Center Bar to pull spinners. After almost an hour of fighting off the perch we went back to rigging. No more then pulled on the hump and we had a double. Ended the day with 12 keepers and 1-23.5" throw back.

I only seen a few other boats fishing deep, even though there has been some shallow bites already I think it is still easier to find them deep. Crawlers and leeches was 50-50.

Corey were you on some off the humps up north? I am heading up today taking out some of Phil's clients on Wednesday and Thursday. Are you going up to LOW for the championship? Dan

Heading up to Winnie for Labor Day weekend, are you guys pulling spinners with crawlers, or Rigging with leaches? I mostly fish Mille Lacs, is Winnie similar in that you fish the tops of the flats early and slide off the edges as the sun comes up? You guys using bottom bouncers or slip sinkers, sorry for all the questions I just wanna get some info to get after the eyes.

Thanks

Corey were you on some off the humps up north? I am heading up today taking out some of Phil's clients on Wednesday and Thursday. Are you going up to LOW for the championship? Dan

Yeah I was up north and west. It looks like its gonna be a good south blow the next 2 days. I would check areas like bena and musky bar, ravens or along the first break edge out from the Birches Landing. If you wanna head north you might be able to get on a shallow jig bite with the wind or troll spinners along the weed edges.

Yup I will be heading up to LOW probably the 10th, staying at Wigwam. When you headed up?

Heading up to Winnie for Labor Day weekend, are you guys pulling spinners with crawlers, or Rigging with leaches? I mostly fish Mille Lacs, is Winnie similar in that you fish the tops of the flats early and slide off the edges as the sun comes up? You guys using bottom bouncers or slip sinkers, sorry for all the questions I just wanna get some info to get after the eyes.

Thanks

If you are going to pull spinners you can do leeches or crawlers. I was rigging with both as well last weekend. Crawlers might be a better bet for rigging but there are days you will get them on both still. Slip sinkers rigging and inline weights or 3way for spinners. Dont matter the time of day fish can be on the edge or on top, typically more feeding fish are on the edge. If they are way out in 30' they seldom bite they they would on ML.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a very good weekend this last weekend on Winni! Fish were a lot shallower than i would have expected for the conditions. Did well in 6-8 fow for keeper walleyes. Smaller presentation seemed to be better than big!

• 3 weeks later...

They are day to day, get some wind it can be good, if not move often and you will still get your fish a few in each spot. The south end has been good 6 to 9 fow jigs and minnows.

Good Luck

• 2 months later...

No reports, really?

I gave it a couple hours the other day. REALLY slow for me, but maybe I was in the wrong area. Couldn't even find any jumbo's. Screwed around with tiny perch everywhere I looked, then at sunset a couple nice perch showed up as well as a couple walleyes. Then that was it. Maybe others are doing better...?

i was up there this weekend. Spearing was great, and i did talk to abunch of guys that were fishign for panfish, and did really well on the clay banks.

Panfish on the clay banks??

what kind ..crappies..sunnies or perch

probably not the easiest spot to get to

wonder how \they got on the ice..pigoen river????? must have been on wheelers to get out there ????

sounds like a strange report !!!!

Panfish on the clay banks??

what kind ..crappies..sunnies or perch

probably not the easiest spot to get to

wonder how \they got on the ice..pigoen river????? must have been on wheelers to get out there ????

sounds like a strange report !!!!

I believe most were heading out of 3rd river landing. I was up there spearing a few weekends and the last time I was up there were alot of house in front of the clay banks. I was more up in the river and I seen a fair number of nice gills.

how'd you do spearing?

I made 2 trips up there and each time only half days. We seen between 9-12 fish each time. Got a few 7 & 8lbs, saw 2 between 10 & 12lbs. We also had another house in our group that each time got one 11-12lbs.

I just got a text from a buddy that the pressure ridge out there opened up!! Last Wed. when he was up there he said there was 14" of ice.

I am going to spear the big lake this weekend in the morning and head out for some eyes in the evening. Looks like I wont even need to bring out the house on Saturday with a high of mid to upper 30's!

Can u drive trucks out on the flowage hoppin to head up tommorrow with my 7x12 house

My buddy was up there last week and said guys were driving down to the clay banks. There was 14-16" of ice. But I did hear that the pressure ridge out towards the main lake opened up last week as well. I would say you could but watch where you are going with all the spearing traffic out there this year.

Just got back last night from 1 1/2 day power trip. Went with some guys who spear but I just angle. The spearing was a little slow but the angling was fantastic. Thursday the jumbo perch were on fire. All day long it was one right after another. Caught everything on plastics. Had a great perch dinner that night at the Gosh Dam Place. Headed out early on Friday morning and got into some beautiful crappies and sunfish - also on plastics. What a great way to start the hard water season.

• The title was changed to Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked