• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports

ya i kinda think that is the key to find humps where nobody has fished and away from traffic

thats the way they bit for us last yr it was during the night tho

Finally 100% heading out on the pond friday and maybe saturday. Let the games begin lol. Let you know how it goes, sounds like it wont be very pleasant outside.

Nice V05!!!

Brent and I are going to try to head out to Pike Lake or Fish Today. Where you at today?

Good Luck. We will have to go fishing next weekend. I will be in the GR area friday.

Later,

Shake N Bake

Fishing has been ok, big fish are showing up on rattle reels through the night, and the eater size fish at low light periods. One group the other night got some eaters before dark, 3 throw backs in the night, along with missing a coulpe. Not a lot of people out yesterday as it was rough going with all the snow we had, hopefully we are done with that stuff for awhile!

How are the ice/snow conditions after the storm? I'm headed up there in a few days and am wondering how easy it will be to get around...

We got a lot of snow! I made it across the lake in my truck on Friday after we got the snow, but it was really slow. I burned $60 in gas and had to shovel 6 times in about 8 miles. 4 out and 4 back. The lift and the 35's were the only reason I could go anywhere. I took the snowmobile yesterday, much better choice. Fishing was good my buddy and I caught 10 walleyes inbetween 4:00 and 6:00 pm. Say goodbye to pulling your wheelhouses off any plowed road.

Shake and bake,

Friday sounds good let's go to winnie!

Where the walleyes flow the salmon of capastranna!

Ha

Spent the weekend on Winnie. The original plan was to spend 12/31 and 1/1 in a his 4 man sleeper shacks with my wife and her parents. We got to Denny's about 1pm on 12/31 and found them busy trying to dig out from the 14 inches of snow that fell the night before. We waited about an hour and made it to the sleeper house. Unfortunately it was only a 3 man sleeper and the heater was not working properly. We called Pat to let him know the issues. He was very accomodating and put us up in one of his hotel rooms for the night after we finished fishing. We did catch some nice perch and a few walleyes and pike while fishing in that house for the night. The next morning my father-in-law and I hit the lake about 7am. We caught a few perch and then one of the resort guys came out to tell us they were going to move us to our new sleeper house. We got settled into to our new accomodations about 11am. The weather on Saturday was brutal. Cold and windy. However the fishing was pretty decent. My wife and her dad each caught personal best pike on tip-ups (see attached pic). Overall it was a decent weekend. We caught about 40 jumbos, a couple walleyes, and a handful of nice pike. Although it would have been nice to not have any issues at the start of the trip with the lodging, Pat worked hard to make sure we had an enjoyable stay.

full-173-4751-pike2.jpg

full-173-4752-pike1.jpg

full-173-4753-walleye.jpg

some good eating there and lots of it by the time you clean those

sounds like they take good care of their guest down there

Hey do you happen to know if he is letting wheelhouses out and has any plowed roads back open? I was planning on heading up tommorow morning and I usually go out of nodak's but they are basically shut down at this point. I sent denny's an email and left them a message today but havent been able to reach anyone. I wanted to go to winnie but without a snowmobile if i cant move around or even get access i might just go to red and hole up for a couple days.

We're heading up to Denny's tomorrow as well...I suspect they are out busy plowing roads today. If they plow today and tomorrow, we should be able to get out by Thursday...

Sounds like I'll be hitting Red on wed/thur to give them a couple more days and if things are slow hopefully Dennys is set to go by fri/sat and I will swing back down on my way home. Good luck fishing.

Fished out of Highbanks yesterday and managed 8 eyes between two of us. One eye was 23" and the rest were around the 15" mark. Thanks Kim, Rick, and Jigglestick. The perch were on the small side and released them all. The perch were around 8-9 inches. If anyone is looking for a nice place to go i would give Highbanks a call.

We caught fish on forage minnow, frostee, and buckshot spoons tipped with a minnow head. Only two were caught on set lines. We were in 16 fow in the am and 24 fow in the afternoon and evening. Green seemed to be the hot color.

i dont know bout those folks but that is the one thing that seem weird to me on winnie is the number of pike out in deep water on those humps

actually they mostly seem to be pretty nice to you do catch some small ones to of coarse

but summer and winter i hav caught nice pike on the humps

i have a friend who has been in contact with resort owners on the south side. they where planning on going that way the 14-15 but bwcause of the lake conditions are no longer going. just saying. maybe cause there is no off road travel abilities with wheel houses. confusedconfused

WLMWF!

I see your still chasing around the north country trying to catch a Walleye or 2.

Been having pretty good luck locally on Clearwater.

Good Luck!!

The house we were in was about 18ft of water and we had the tip ups set outside in 20-22ft. 4-6 inch sucker minnows seemed to be received quite nicely by the pike up there.

curious is it hump you fish in the summer to ?are you alone on it ?

just asking because i think thats kinda a key to a better bite ??

Fishing has been good on the south end of the lake. I pre fished Monday and moved rentals yesterday got houses in 20 to 25 fow and they are getting fish. Still seeing some nice perch along with eater size walleys, some big ones coming thru at night on rattle reels with small shiners on green glow jigs or red hooks! Some big pike have also been in the mix.

Good Luck

Ryan

Greg it's very small it doesn't show up on any gps maps. So yea I'm the only one on it. I stumbled apon it in the boat and marked it as having good potential in the winter. You are right, if you find your own spot away from the pack, you will catch more fish. The fish you do catch on your spot are a lot more rewarding than the ones you catch on someone else's.

VOS - I also have about 7-8 spots on the lake that arent on any chip but then last year I picked up another new lakemaster and 3 of them are now on there! Flippin' technology making less and less secrets lol.

I was unable to make it out last friday due to the storm, well we tried but got stuck! Heading back up tonight and putting the tracks on the wheeler. Wish it wasnt gonna be so cold but think me and a buddy are heading out sat or sun.

Yea I know what you mean. But it's given me a lot more places to fish, than secrets it's taken away. So I'll take the bad with the good just like you.

How much slush are you guys running into out there? Do you think a fourwheeler with chains would stand a chance??

Human coldfront,

I helped a guy that was stuck in slush today. He was just out to right of the birches boat landing, by himself. He has probably never been that happy to see another person in his life. He said he was on the phone with the sheriff dept when I got there. LOL we got him out without too much trouble. Honestly that is the only spot I've seen slush. I've been riding through there for weeks and never hit any. I don't think a wheeler will get real far out there. The snow is starting to get a crust on it but I'm not sure if it would hold a wheeler on it yet. The drifts are big and that's where your gonna get stuck.

• The title was changed to Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked