• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports

was out yesterday ran spinners in 12-17 ft 1/4 oz sinkers and running around 1 mph gold or silver hammered spinners, did well

Jason

Was out last fri and sat for a few hours each time. Friday tried fishing some new areas with not much luck, ended up finding some towards the end of the day. I was fishing 18-26' humps caught most rigging and a couple on bobbers. Sat was better for me as I fished areas I am familiar with, managed 8 nice keepers between the 2 of us in 5 hours. Rigged the whole time on sat with crawlers being the bait of choice.

I have been on Winnie and elsewhere the last few days. Its been the same on winnie, one minute the fish are on the humps, the next the big bars, the next the shoreline its been new every time.

We have had good success with the spinners lately. I have been using a 1/4 oz bullet sinker with a spinner running around 1 mph and its been working good. Now yesterday we ended up with a good bite going on a jig and minnow in 7 ft of water, but most of the fish have been a bit deeper in the 12-17 ft of water on the edges of the main break. So it goes to show don’t ever rule anything out this time of the year.

Good luck fishing

Jason Boser

Jason -

Are you using single hook spinner setups with a leech or crawler harnesses? I have had better luck with spinner/leech but then when rigging using crawlers.

i have a hard time useing anything but crwalers when pulling spinners

just because it hard to keep leeches and minows from spinning just looks \

unnatural..if they dont spin then you are going to slow for spinner to work

i think the vibration from spinners are an important part of them workin

thats just my opinion I know people catch fish with leeches and minows

and jason is on the water alot more than me !

Couldn't agree with you more Gregg. I like to stick with leeches in slow moving situations... otherwise it's always crawlers for me when moving along with spinners.... which can be tough on Winnie though bc of all the perch nips!

Going up Saturday-Wednesday and am really pumped. We fish the big lake the same week every year. It's a challenging time to fish but is nice as the crowds are nonexistent and the fish are usually hammering baits if you can find them! Gotta love Winnie... the fish are always there, but they have plenty of space to hide. It's a challenge, but is second to none when the fish are going.... and I have a good feeling about next week wink. I'll report back fellas.

i heading up in the morning

havnt been up for a few weeks will probably take a little to find some fish i spose

going to pull cranks up on the north end up in the farly to stoney area

i think

really hoping to get some good northern action

Looking for alittle help. We are coming up to winni on sat am. We were here this same time last year and didn't do very well.Fishing is Fishing and were giving it another try.I've been reading the posts and that helps alot but looking for some last min. tips or any places that we might want to try on sat am. We are staying at Tamarack Lodge from sat to sat.Any help would be great help. We are fishing for perch,walleye,and bluegills.Thanks Alot

It was another awesome week of fishing. It is hard to believe the fishing can be this good in early august. I have been fishing Winnie for the most part. I have been catching most fish in 5-7 ft of water on the rocks. There are a couple nice ridges on ravens and stoney with nice rocks and we have been trolling around them with a 1/8 oz Northland gum ball and a shiner or a chub. It has been working like a charm. The ticket is to snap the jig pretty hard to get it out of the weeds on the bottom of the rocks let it sit for a bit and get ready to set the hook. Another option is trolling spinners or crank baits out in that 12-14 ft of water the fish seem to be scattered out around the scattered weeds and are pretty active.

Good luck fishing

fishing fever guide service

mnfishing pros guide service

218 999 5591

Just got back from a week at Winnie. Its more of a family trip vs. a hardcore fishing trip but when we went out we did well. The crankbait bite for us was pretty consistent. Where the fish were was not very consistent. Day to day we had to search them out but when you hit the right area and depth the bite was solid. Color and size of crank for us was much more specific on a day to day basis vs past years as well. Kinda bummed i wasnt able to fish the 2 day MTT this year. I would have felt pretty confident.

My wife and I were out yesterday afternoon from 3-7 pm. We hit the NW side of the lake and had a great trip.

We used 1 oz bottom bouncers, w/ single hook bright spinner rigs, and half a crawler. The fish were pretty aggressive, the wind helped. We found them in 10-12 feet of water.

My wife outfished me as usual, why is that and am I the only one that happens to? We kept 12 nice walleyes and threw back a few more, including her 2 twin 21" ers.

We got back to Deer River and just as I got the boat put away the storm rolled in and it POURED!

Brian

I was up fri-sun for the 2day MTT. Friday only prefished for about 4 hrs and mainly just jumped around locating fish. Boat some nice 16-17" but didnt get the numbers i was hoping too. Fished deep humps mainly but also tried a little in the 16-18'

Sat we got out there and our 6 weigh fish by 9 and by 11 we had nothing under 16" with 4 being 16 7/8. By the end of the day our smallest was 16.5". We caught around 30 fish with 12 being 16-17". Our day one weight was 9lbs which had us sitting in 3rd.

Sun did the same thing we did sat but the bite started out a little slow but had our 6 by 10 and made a few moves and up graded. Even with the day being a slower start we caught close to 40 fish. Smallest again was 16.5 but only had 2 just under 17 so our day 2 weight was 8.71 and that landed us in 4th place with 17.71 lbs

This weekend was the biggest bags of 6 slot fish ever weighed for the MTT. The fish are loaded up with shiners! We fished the humps most the weekend but also caught fish in 16-18' but most were 13-15". We rigged with 6-10' snells with most fish being caught on crawlers. It was a great weekend overall!

Congrats on the nice Job !

That is some great fishing with some nice size slot fish.

Way to go Corey! Does that mean you're set for LOW? Still planning to go to Milwaukee to paint nephew's house and hope to get in a day of salmon fishing. Been drivin me nuts sittin at home waiting for answers from relations instead of being up fishing.

Nice work Corey. Your right, those are the fattest i've ever seen those eyes. Those 16 1/2" fish are fat!

Thanks guys. It was a good weekend on the water, but with no big fish on sat I knew there had to be a big fish on sunday and there were 2, would have been nice if i could have found one:D

Fridron-I am kicking around the championship, see what work looks like being a guy needs to pretty much take a week off.

James-Yeah the are chunks. This year when we took 5th we weighed 8.42 and a 3rd with 8.30 and those fish were all over 16" as well. Pretty much everywhere we went last weekend the graph was loaded with bait fish.

Corey a couple years ago my brother in law and I fished the 2 day event. We finished 1 place out of the money but after day 1 we were positioned in 3rd place. All of your fish on day one were over 16" and our weight was 8.11. Last year a friend of mine and myself finished 3rd in a 1 day and we had 4 over 16" and 2 under 16" and we had 8.40. Just goes to show how much thicker those fish are right now.

We also found last week that our usual areas were loaded with baitfish. Funny thing was where we smacked them the end of the week when we moved a little more shallow, the area was void of those bait balls.

Yeah we even had a 16 out weigh a couple of our 16.5 we threw back on sunday. Thanks to the teeter totter! I know alot of guys that were catching tons of fish shallow but they had to bang through the 13-14 to get some decent ones. They were actually all the way up into 5'.

I think I will try shallow this weekend since I have nothing wrong with 14's for eating grin

I have the same issue with my wife. I tell her it's just that I'm to busy guiding to catch the fish!!

Well at a last minute decision I decided to head out for a few hours friday afternoon. Me and a buddy got to lake around 2:30 and I thought about fishing shallow but had to try one spot first. It was a good choice as I just got my line tight I already had a fish on. After an hour and a half we caught 14 and had our 12 keepers. Once again we were rigging with crawlers, I had a blue hook and buddy had a red. It was a great evening out there with no wind and not a boat insite! Decided not to go out and beat myself up in the winds sat/sun.

Corey: were you running just plain colored hooks or did you have a colored bead or a spinner blade also. We're headed up on Sat. for a week, so looking for any insider tips.

Corey: were you running just plain colored hooks or did you have a colored bead or a spinner blade also. We're headed up on Sat. for a week, so looking for any insider tips.

Just plain hooks #4 or 6. Then I had a white/glow bead and buddy had a green. Red hooks have always worked out there, so I always have my buddys use red and I will play around a little. There are still good fish on the mid-lake humps(19-24'), also on some of the long bars where it comes up into 14-15'. People have been catching good numbers also running cranks in 6-10' over rocks or weed edges and some have been doing jig and a minnow. I like rigging so I tend to fish deep until I dont have a choice laugh Good luck out there!!

Sounds like the bite is going really well. We are heading up to our cabin tomorrow for a few days and would like to try Winnie. Would you suggest going right out to the main lake humps and working the edges? It appears either rigging with crawlers or spinners with crawlers probably the bait of choice. Are there any humps in particular that are better than others?

Thanks in advance..

I would start out on the main lake humps, either working edges or on the top, watch the graph and see where they are. Usually they are more likely to bite when on top. I have mainly been fishing the bigger humps towards the west shore kinda out from Ravens. There are so many humps in that area and being the time of year it is them fish tend to move daily but usually not too far. North Humps have been poor for me now in a couple weeks. Main thing is find good clouds of bait fish.

Now if the wind is strong its tough to fish smaller humps and I would try some shoreline or big flats of 15'. There was also some good fish on the East shore from 16-18'. I have had a lot better luck this year rigging over spinners. The last week and a half has mainly been crawlers for me but I would also have some leeches with and try both.

Thanks for the info Corey20. I may start out on the east side as Eagles Nest in Cutfoot is where I'll be unloading (closest to our cabin). For the east side shoreline were you referring to as you head out of the gap, taking a right along that shore? I've had some luck in the past on several small humps etc on that side.

I plan to try friday morning by myself in hopes of experimenting more and finding fish. My wife loves to fish but wants it simple and to catch fish so hopefully can find some spots for the afternoon to bring her out.

Thanks again Corey.

I guess I should have been a little more clear on the east shore cause that could be Plug Hat as well. I meant from like Highbanks down to Musky Bay. They could be anywhere along there but when I fished it I was kinda out front of the Birches Landing working about a 1/2 mile stretch. If you head out of the gap and go right that would be the North shore.

I know where you are talking about. We did really well along highbanks through memorial weekend. Guess that area gets fished really hard. I will give it a shot and post any results.

Thanks again for all the info.

Yeah I fished it then a little too but was in 10-13' as where they seem to be closer to the break edge now. That area hasnt been fished all summer but now that the bait fish is in there so are the eyes. Good luck hope you can get into a few.

what a change 90's to mid 60's that is a change in weather. The good thing is the fishing hasn’t suffered to bad. I have been at Winnibigosh again this whole last week. The fishing has been great. I have been catching walleye's in the shallow rocks yet, 4-7 ft with a jig and minnow. This has been fun on some days you can see the fish down there rummaging around and cast right to them and you will catch them. when we have wind that does help out the fishing. without wind you can catch walleyes on the flats outside the weeds in the 10-12 ft with a spinner or a shad rap covering ground, or even the big bars on the south side of the lake with a lindy rig or spinner. The perch are starting to show up on the rocks also and even on the deep humps we are getting some nice perch. Its also time to start looking for the crappies they should start showing up in their fall haunts soon

good luck fishing

Jason Boser fishing fever guide service

fishingminnesota

218 999 5591

• The title was changed to Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked