• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fished the 23rd through the 27th out of Nodak's. COLD.

We were unable to locate any schools of larger perch but did manage to catch over 30 walleyes between the 2 of us. Most of the fish were 14 to 16 inches but we did have one over 20 and 2 over 24 inches. We also caught 16 northern with the biggest being 31 inches.

I think we only took home 28 perch in the 8 to 10 inch range but with the addition of a limit of walleye it worked out just great.

The road system was excellent but there was no such thing as off road travel unless you had a snowmobile.

Another great trip!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gregg52

• bmc

• Corey20

• jigglestick

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cruised on over to Winni and set up at about 3:30 this afternoon. I can't really call it setting up since I drilled one hole and fished out the side of my vehicle lol. I was thinking on setting up in

There is one heck of a road coming out of the west side by the river, thanks to Becker's Resort and McArdle's resort.  There is a paybox at the beginning of the road that I advise stopping by and drop

Posted Images

I tried out Highbanks new road out to Zoomer's Bar this afternoon. I set up on a hump, almost to the end of the road. The stupid wind made it impossible to set a tip up out as it was getting continuously drifted in with the blowing snow. I fished depths from 27 to 20' of water. All I can say is "Holy tulibees batman". I think I caught 7 or 8 of them in the 4 hours I fished 2-6pm. About a half hour before I quit, I had a few decent marks come in and check out my offerings, but no takers. Hopefully it will get warm enough next week so I can fire up the smoker!

Brian

Bobberboy,

any chance you would be willing to let me know what humps you fished out of nodaks? going up next week and would love to get on some eyes. if you prefer, my email is akbritz at comcast dot net

thanks for any help!

when are they going to be done? i will be right up. grinlaugh by the way you selling your house? last time up i seen a for sale sign down your block.

glenn,

There's no way in heck I'm selling, I've moved so many times that if the current place burns down, I'll be living in the garage till the new one is built on the same spot! grin

There's a place 2 doors down from me for sale, are you looking?

Brian

Gary Crichton

Alright Glenn is buying a place up there. Way to go Glenn. Hey another spot to stay if needed. I can help you move Glenn.

G.C.

NO!NO!NO! I already got a place to go 27 miles north of there. geez gary you startin rumors here like the womens forum. smirkgrinlaughsmile i just noticed the sign going from cenex to 6 didnt really know what house it was. besides that a bit far to drive for work.....i owe... i owe... so off to work i go. eekfrownsmile

Gary Crichton

Cmon Big Guy you can tell house. I heard you have a money tree in your backyard.

Good luck tomorrow, and we shall see what happens. I'll give ya a call.

G.C.

Hey wait a minute ME starting trouble on the w-forum. I thought you were the leader.

BMC sounds like you have moved a few times heh.

fished out of high banks yeasterday caught 5 eye one being to big and two to small all of them were on jigs 21' 4 to 7 pm

Was up this weekend. Friday, stayed close to HB. Saturday we ventured to the west side of the lake, past zoomers about 2-3 miles towards Ravens Point-none stop action on perch. Had to sort, but no problem on getting a limit of 9-11" perch. We had our best luck in 15 ft, but know their was luck to be had with a more consistant 9-11" with a some walleyes a little deeper-Bright spoons with fatheads. Planned on hole hopping, litterally fished the first holes we drilled-so I suspect the bit is good area wide. Need a snowmachine obviously.

Blown off around 2 pm and was too windy Sunday to get back out.

jk

A buddy and I were out today tip up fishing for gators. We fished from 10-3 and ended up w/ our 6. The best action was from 2-3 pm. All we used were smelt and it seemed like the less hardware you had down there, the better they bit. I was using a 20lb mono leader and a 1/0 gammy circle hook. The fish ranged from 3 to 8 lbs. Our best luck was in 12-16 feet of water.

Circle hooks really work!!! I caught the 8 lber and when I got it to the hole, I couldn't get it to come up, it was stuck at the bottom. Darin was gaffed the fish and here the circle hook was stuck in it's eye! On another fish I caught, the circle hook was on the outside of the fish's mouth. They must have been slashing at the baits?

ice20fishing20200920013xr4.jpg

Brian

good going

where did you get the smelt? freds ?

you said 12-16 fow shoeline breaks ??

headin up early friday...hope to get to a spot out from the dugouts kinda rock bar i fish in the summer we catch everything

there

sounds like those nothern have been going pretty steady all winter

Gregg,

I get the smelt in the spring, on Pokegama and put them in borax, a ziploc bag, and freeze them for winter gator fishing. Yes the shoreline breaks, on the edge of deeper 20+ fow. Gators have been going good all winter.

I think Fred's should have some smelt or ciscoes.

Brian

Brian,

It looks like a much better Gator then the one I landed last time we were out. From the looks of the photo it must have been about 60 degrees warmer. whistle

Keep up the great work!!!

Darin Shevich

Hey Brian,

Whats your schedule look like this week. I'm thinking about heading back to the gator pit.

Darin Shevich

mnfishingpros.com

Darin,

Keep an eye on Brian he might try and give you the cold that I left with him the last time I was up. grin

I see this is your 1st post. So let me be the 1st to welcome you to the site. I'm looking forward to hearing more that you may have to share.

fish fry at bmc,s? smirklaughwink hey bmc, after this lovely weather passes can you let me know what kind of conditions are like? my mom and nephew are headed that wat this weekend, weather permitting and i am planning on the weekend of the 21rst.

was up yesterday with my 2 sons and father in law. fishing was slow. brought home 12 perch and one 15" eye. drilled a ton of holes and marked alot of fish, just couldn't get em to bite. we did throw back three over 20" and four under 12" eyes. nice day to be on the ice though.

fishing out of nodak march 14-15. been to winne 1 other time but that was early jan 2006. anyone have any idea what i can expect from past years.

Glenn,

Lots of rain the last 2 days, driving a truck on Winnie, at least the NE side was no problem today. The snow has really taken a beating!!! grin I wouldn't have wanted to be riding an atv out there today, you woulda' been soaked!

Brian

Darin Shevich

On Tuesday, bmc and I fished Winnie. We attempted to pull a few slimmers through the hole. Tip up fishing was on the ticket for the day. So, we started out in the River Channel and with with no strikes in about two hours we moved over by Tamarack and fished a few little humps. That still didn't help much. I beleive the weather had a big factor. It rained the whole time we were out. I was able to drive any where I wanted, but there was approx 6-8" water on the ice. We did find alot of perch out on the humps in 14-20ft.

TAKE A KID FISHING!!!!!!!!

Darin

MNFISHINGPROS.COM

I heading to Winnie this weekend never ice fished it before but have fished there in the summer so I'm a little familiar with the lake have any suggestions would be great!!!

Thanks

LONG WEEK -END

FRI....NO FISH CLOSE IN HUMP TO HIGH BANKS

MOVED SAT 3...GATORS 4-6LBS...4 WALLEYES IN THE BUCKET 3 RELEASED ...10-15 PERCH KEPT 6 10-101/2 INCHES

SUN..4 GATORS 4-8LBS....5 5 WALLEYES IN THE BUCKET 2 RELEASED

MON..MON ZEROOOOOOOOO NADA..NADA

FAIR WEEK END OF FISHING ON MID LAKE SMALL HUMP ONLY US ON THE HUMP

Fished Winnie out of Nodaks thursday afternoon to sunday noon. Fishing was slow for us 6 guys about 25 keeper perch a day. I have never drilled so many holes in one weekend. I alone went through 3 tanks of gas on my auger. We would catch a few fish then they were gone. Sunday right before we left found a pretty good school of perch out in 36 feet of water. Walleye were alittle better with an average of 5 keepers an evening 5:30 to 6:30. we had chains on the truck and off road travel was a brezze, not a problem at all. The roads were in horrible shape on thurs and fri. flooded with 4" to 5" thick ice chunks to get huge up on. Sat and sun the roads were much better.

Darin Shevich

Lenny40,

The walleye fishing has been slow. I have been picking up some nice northerns in the 4-8lb range. I been using tip- ups rigged with a quick strike rig and tipped either with a smelt or a live sucker. Travel on the lake is great, so be mobile and don't stay in one spot to long. Good luck and be safe.

Darin

[email protected]

mnfishingpros.com

• Jim Panfish Uran unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A fun week of walleye fishing as the water temps cool to the low 60's and fall colors have started.  The walleye are transitioning to fall locations.  Three different methods used to catch walleyes this week.  Drifting spinners, trolling crankbaits and anchored up and jigging with a minnow, which is becoming more effective each week.  
      Walleyes setting up across the south shore and with more shiners running, this trend will continue.  Jigging with a frozen shiner or live fathead has really started to be effective.  Give it 30-40 minutes and set up in a different spot if there is no action.  
      Congrats to all MN Tournament Trail tournament anglers this past week.  The winning team had a 7.52 lb avg per walleye for 10 fish.  There are a lot of big walleyes in Lake of the Woods right now.
      Daily limit is a combined limit of six walleyes and saugers (with up to 4 being walleyes).   Don't forget the slot, 19.5" - 28" must be returned with one allowed over 28" per day.  
      Fall is an excellent time to fish walleyes.  If you like the jig bite, anchor up and jig over the side of the boat for a very enjoyable and typically memorable day.
      Pike are active and most are caught but unsuspecting walleye anglers.  The feedbag is definitely on.  
      On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners continue to run in the Rainy River.  Some good runs so far, good angler reports and nice walleyes being caught.  Fall on the river is nice as a small boat will work just fine.
      Most walleye anglers on the river are anchoring up along an edge or in a hole with a jig and minnow.  There are 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from Wheeler's Point through Baudette to Birchdale with lots of boat ramps.  
      Sturgeon activity has picked up as well with good fall reports.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Excellent fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 24 - 31 feet.  Gold, white and orange spinners with a crawler or a minnow continue to be effective.  As water cools, minnows on some days are outfising crawlers.  
      Areas with structure continue to hold fish.  18 - 27 feet are good starting points.  Jig and a minnow is the goto on structure and neck down areas.
      Pike and muskie anglers are locating fish on weedy points using double blade spinners and topwater.  A lot of fish are caught on figure eight.
      Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  Please note, no live, frozen or dead bait allowed into Canada from the U.S.  The various plastics on a jig are working well.  Contact a NW Angle resort for details.
      Charter boat transport and float planes are still available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Great walleye action this week with numerous pike mixed in.  Walleyes are starting to gravitate to fall patterns.  Walleyes being caught in various depths 13 - 34 feet of water.  Most anglers are still drifting with spinners or trolling crankbaits, but the jig bite is picking up steam. 
      Water temps in the upper 50's and low 60's.  Walleyes setting up across the south shore and with more shiners running, this trend will continue.  
      Reef fishing is starting to pick up.  Jigging with a frozen shiner on or near reefs is a fall goto and things are just starting.
      September and October are excellent months to fish walleyes.  If you like the jig bite, anchored up with a jig and minnow, this is a fun time of year.
      On the Rainy River...   Emerald shiners are continuing to run in the Rainy River.  Some good runs so far and walleyes are showing up.  Anglers are catching fish in the river.  Fall is here.
      Most walleye anglers on the river will anchor up along an edge or in a hole with a jig and minnow.  Fishing is taking place from Wheeler's Point to Baudette to Birchdale.
      Fall is a great time to fish sturgeon, bass and pike on the river, although the vast majority of anglers are after walleyes.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Excellent fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 24 - 31 feet.  Gold, white and orange spinners with a crawler or a minnow is effective.  Minnows on some days are starting to be preferred by the walleyes.  Try both.  
      Areas with structure continue to hold fish.  18 - 27 feet are good starting points.  Jig and a minnow is the goto.
      Pike and muskie anglers are locating fish on weedy points using double blade spinners and topwater.  Some nice fish boated this week.
      Travel to and from the Angle via vehicle through the 40 miles of Canada is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  Please note, no live, frozen or dead bait allowed into Canada from the U.S.  The various plastics on a jig are working well.  Contact a NW Angle resort for details.
      Charter boat transport and float planes are still available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.  

• AnglerJake
      By AnglerJake
      Heading up to Garden Lake Resort Sep 16 - 24. Any reports or tips from up there? Thanks!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Another really strong week of walleye fishing.  
      One of the main areas to fish is still deep mud.  Basically 28 - 34 feet of water.  Various schools of walleyes move around the basin relating to different kinds of forage.  
      Big walleyes eat a lot of everything but really key in on tullibees (ciscos) who live primarily in the basin.  Other forage can be perch, perch minnows, emerald shiners, blood worms, crayfish, and the list goes on.  
      Various schools holding shallower, over rocks or sand, based on bait options in that area.  Reefs are still holding fish, normally on the sides and base where rock meets the mud.   
      Drifting or trolling spinners with crawlers and trolling crankbaits are still very effective for catching walleyes this week.
      As we approach mid to late September and October, the jig bite will fire back up!
      On the Rainy River...   Walleyes hanging out in some of the deeper holes throughout the river.  Moving up and down the river, hitting numerous spots until you find which areas have walleyes is a good method for success.
      Some anglers trolling crankbaits to cover water.  Oftentimes, walleyes won't show up on electronics if they are laying in a depression in the river bottom.  Only way to know is to fish the area.
      Bass and pike are plentiful on structure, docks and weed edges.  Hitting various "goto" spots up and down the river is a fun and normally productive day.    
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Great fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 28 - 33 feet.  Gold, white and orange spinners with a crawler is effective.
      Underwater points, sunken islands and neck down areas with a bit of current in 18 - 27 feet holding fish.  These areas are good areas to jig.
      Pike and muskie anglers are still finding good fish on weedy points using jerkbaits and topwater. 
      Travel via vehicle through Canada to the Angle is open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  Contact a NW Angle resort for details.
      A complete list of lodging and fishing packages around LOW, the NW Angle, Baudette and the Rainy River at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging.  

• klee103
      By klee103
      How are the lakes across southern Minnesota? 
      Do they "green" up with the summer heat?
      Are there any lakes you would recommend for sunfish, crappie or perch?  
      Looking to do a day trip or 2 this fall to somewhere from Fairmont to Mankato.

Any recommendations?
      Thanks!
    • Draht
      By Draht
      www.fuyu-outdoors.com
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      What a year it has been with this drought. The Mighty Mississippi isn't so mighty anymore but doesn't stop the smallmouth from eating. Got out for a nice evening float after work and found a few quality Bronzebacks. 

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The walleye fishing remains good.  It really helps to be versatile.  It seems one day fish are set up in an area and the next they slid somewhere else.  
      There has been some good fishing in 25-29' in front of Pine Island.  When the south wind blows, the Zippel Bay and Graceton Beach area have been productive.  These fish have been in the 17-21' area and are mainly small fish and eaters with some slots thrown in.
      Still big numbers of fish in various areas of the deep mud, 28-24'.  
      Reefs are still holding some fish as well.  Fish could be on top, on the sides or relating to the deep mud just off of the edges over the mud.   
      Drifting or trolling spinners with crawlers and trolling crankbaits are the goto techniques for putting fish in the boat.
      Hammered gold with glow white or glow red, yellow, orange and red/white are colors doing well.  
      The top team in the AIM MN Championship on Friday and Saturday had 88.62 lbs for 10 walleyes to take first place.  Some big fish were caught despite windy conditions.   
      On the Rainy River...   The river producing a mixed bag of walleyes, saugers, pike, bass, and sturgeon.  Spinners / crawlers or trolling crankbaits are a good way to locate walleyes.  Some walleyes holding in deep holes can be jigged once you find them.  
      Bass and pike holding on structure, docks and weed edges.  Hitting various "goto" spots up and down the river is a fun and normally productive day.    
      The sturgeon "keep" season continues through Sep. 30.  Catch and release Oct 1 - April 23, 2022.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Great fishing continues on both sides of the border.  In U.S. waters, deep mud of Little Traverse Bay continues producing walleyes in 28 - 33 feet.  Spinners and crankbaits are effective in covering water and catching these fish as there are various pods scattered in the deep mud.
      Various structure, such as underwater points and sunken islands, are also holding some walleyes, as they normally do.  Not all walleyes in the system are keyed into the same forage.  
      Pike and muskie anglers finding fish on weedy points using jerkbaits and topwater. 
      Travel via vehicle through Canada to the Angle now open.  Boating into Canadian waters is now open.  
      To travel up to the Angle and avoid the border crossing, vaccination cards and COVID test results, charter boat transport and float planes are available through the LOW Passenger Service and Lake Country Air.  

• cherokeeref
      By cherokeeref
      Wondering what water levels are compared to a normal year? Will be up early/mid September. Thx in advance.
    • chaffmj
      By chaffmj
      Took a trip out fishing to a couple of lakes guided by my friend Rob from Ely Fishing Guide Company with my son and son in-law. We caught some eater walleyes in the first lake we went to. Took a break for lunch, then hit up a small lake for rainbow trout.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• JBMasterAngler
      The mouth of the creek is quite a ways downstream from the landing, and you’ll have to cross several peoples’ docks. Entire stream is surrounded by private property. Sure, you can technically legally access the stream, but why would you want to bother with the headache of dealing with landowners that DON’T want you there? Stream is small enough to step across in most places, it’s very weedy, and lot’s of overhanging brush. Not to mention, below average at best numbers of small trout!   You want easy access? Buy a Wisconsin license! Right across the river in Pierce County alone, there’s hundreds of miles of public easements on trout streams that are ten times better than anything Minnesota has to offer!
    • JerkinLips
      Pike suckers are about 3½ inches long.  Walleyes really like them in the fall and early winter.  Caught my fish in 13-15 FOW drifting slowly.  Good solid bites.
    • delcecchi
    • JN13
    • fishingMN4eyes
      Got up Thursday evening to rain and pretty heavy wind Friday morning had us holding off on putting the boat in the water. Fished briefly Friday evening at sunset and picked up an 18" and a couple smalls. Fishing was decent Saturday morning but no real size, everything was 12-15". I had one that looked to be 17"ish flop off as I was trying to flip it into the boat. All the fish we caught were in 17-22'. We were fishing around about a 6' top but never caught anything on top. They appeared to be relating to the structure but not actually on it. Tried again Saturday evening for a couple hours and continued to pick up small walleye just like the morning. Sunday was windy again but we decided to slug it out for awhile and caught one decent perch and one small walleye. We fished similar depths and spots as Saturday but they weren't there. Marked them out in 35'+ but didn't feel like fighting the wind out in the big water so we called it quits around noon and never went back out(the wind never really did lay down or we may have tried again). Jig/minnow way outfished bottom bouncers/crawlers. Wish bottom bouncers would have worked better because it was tough to keep a jig down as fast as we were drifting and we never found a school to spot lock on.
    • Mike89
      that last pic is great!!   Hazel is saying oppps!!!  
    • MikeG3Boat
      I am heading up there tomorrow.  Where do you guys get minnows up in the area?  Tower or Cook or down in Virginia?  I have never heard of pike suckers?  How large are they?  Are you guys fishing the East or West side of the lake?  Let me know.  I am thinking of fishing the East side tomorrow and then headed to the west side from Thursday thru Sunday.  Any help would be appreciated?  I am a newby to the area.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
    • monstermoose78
      Finn and Hazel are getting along poor Finn get the biggest chomps from the baby shark teeth. Finn and I just want a nap, but we can’t as we are puppy patrol. 
    • monstermoose78
      Crap I am feeling like an old man today. Hazel is not letting Finn and I take a nap, but it is getting Finn and I ready for duck season.
    • JN13
      Asking $1,100 contact me at jen at malcotools.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.