• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports

Was up there Wed-Mon Water temps on Friday was 53 and 50 on Sunday in cutfoot. Pondwater did not venture out on Saturday, more power to ya. Kinda brisk no matter where you were, (except the cabin) We did 10 hours on Friday and about 5 on Sunday. Shallow jig bite for the most part. Was going to try crawlers, but the jig bite was consistant.

I fish with crawlers most of the summer and have good luck doing it. But kinda figured the shinners would start to work very well.

That saturday weather was a little tough to fish, at one point I looked at my buddy and just shook my head. It was snowing so hard that I could not see across the bay in cutfoot.

thats 3 words...lol

i put this on the other thread kdawg

but a yar craft specially if you are going to fish the great

WINNIBIGOSHISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To bad i didnt know earlier I woulda taken you across the big lake in a 25mph wind !!!!!! lol

Ya, I missed an opportunity to check out the Yar Craft. I'm just gonna keep my eyes and ears open this winter and see what pans out.

• 3 weeks later...

i wouldnt throw in the towel just yet

this is minnesota

i use to see lots spear houses set up along sleeye point like on the landing side there a sharp break along there a few good cold nights i think you

could walk out there doesnt get alot of hard wind in there

just hafta watch the weather remember if its 40 in lakeville

its prolbably between 30-35 up there or colder

so hang in there a bit

I don't want to rain on your parade but this is what the long range forecast is because of of El Niño so the odds of having ice that early are slim but not impossible.

NOAA: El Niño to Help Steer U.S. Winter Weather

Oct 15 2009

# Warmer-than-average temperatures are favored across much of the western and central U.S., especially in the north-central states from Montana to Wisconsin. Though temperatures may average warmer than usual, periodic outbreaks of cold air are still possible.

# Below-average temperatures are expected across the Southeast and mid-Atlantic from southern and eastern Texas to southern Pennsylvania and south through Florida.

# Above-average precipitation is expected in the southern border states, especially Texas and Florida. Recent rainfall and the prospects of more should improve current drought conditions in central and southern Texas. However, tornado records suggest that there will also be an increased chance of organized tornado activity for the Gulf Coast region this winter.

# Drier-than-average conditions are expected in the Pacific Northwest and the Ohio and Tennessee River Valleys.

# Northeast: Equal chances for above-, near-, or below-normal temperatures and precipitation. Winter weather in this region is often driven not by El Niño but by weather patterns over the northern Atlantic Ocean and Arctic, such as the North Atlantic Oscillation. These patterns are often more short-term, and are generally predictable only a week or so in advance.

# California: A slight tilt in the odds toward wetter-than-average conditions over the entire state.

# Alaska: Milder-than-average temperatures except along the western coast. Equal chances for above-, near-, or below-median precipitation for most areas except above median for the northwest.

# Hawaii: Below-average temperatures and precipitation are favored for the entire state..

winteroutlook_temp_300.jpg

Better bring your boat and some trolling spoons, and maybe a bag of salt for the access.

The night time lows up there are only gonna be 27 to 32 degrees for the whole 10 day forecast.

ya who knows

i kinda believe those long term alittle more than i use to they called for a below avg summer and it happen

i dont like warm winters cant fish cant snowmobile

nothing worse than a half a$$ winter

i can live without 20 below though lol

i moved here to brainerd in 88 and remember the bay (371)

on north long being albe to walk out there and fish by thanksgiving

and just dont see that any more

Last I heard (a week ago?) el nino isn't as strong as they first thought so maybe it wont be as mild (fingers crossed)

Thanks for the input. I'm not very optimistic at this point although in years past, we've been in a similar situation and ol' mother nature has come through.

Going to be over in Bemidji for Thanksgiving and wondering how the ice is looking on the northern part of the lake...Third River area? Anyone been up that way? Any ducks around?

I would be trying to figure out how to put floats on my spear house. The temps we're having, I would be surprised if we see ice before the 10th of Dec.

ya kinda looks like the end of next week after thngvkg

its going to cool down

hope so any way

hoping for a good blast of snow

The current forecast is for record high temps in the 50's this weekend. The Duluth News Tribune this morning has an article about El Nino and the forecast higher than normal temps through February.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear there is about an inch and a half on the flowage and making about an inch a night. Next weekend is looking good. This weekend is too early in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

no ice reports????????????

no fishing reports???????????

everybody hibernating.........lol

or the bite that hot ?????????

no ice reports????????????

no fishing reports???????????

everybody hibernating.........lol

or the bite that hot ?????????

Probably all of the above. smile

The permie and ourselves are making the trip up on Friday, will have a report Sunday if no one else has chimed in.

was up where the mighty Miss flows into winnie over the weekend. four wheelers rippin out Trapper landing and the park. a heave had just begun to form but was being crossed. there was 5-7+ inches then. heard of 2 overloaded wheelers with trailer break thru but with te weather you shouldnt have to worry about that. saw plenty of pike and yumbos in the sand and even a few eyes swimming thru. was in 9-11fow and people were beginning to move out passed me. heard the 3rd river was getting hit as well but never ventured over there.

Good Luck!

I got 2nd hand info that guys are going out 3 miles w/ ATV's. Not sure on how much ice there though. A buddy and I put his spear house on Bowens Flats, out by the river channel and there was 10" of ice there. Water in 13' was pretty murky though. Not much for gators either.

Brian

Fished Winnie on Dec. 22. Went out of the public access on the south side. 14 to 15 inches of ice. Caught 3 walleyes, 2 pike, 1 pout and lots of small perch. Kept 1 15" walleye and 1 27" inch pike. Also kept 14 perch from 9 to 10 inches. 28 fow.

I was there the 21 to the 23 and we caught many crappies over the trip it wasnt hard to catch your limit in a couple hours. we fished in about 30' fow. the bite was very lite but fish were catchable. we also sat out both nights till midnight and only caught two walleyes over the trip, no northers and a whitefish. hope people start leaving some info on here you dont have to say where you were just tell us how u did. thanks and good luck to all!

i'm presuming you were in the cutfoot ???

how much ice ??/

i can give you a few spots

talk real nice nice i might give you cordinates on the big lake

lol

not sure whats going on up there ice wise or how much snow fell

i probably wont get up there til late feb

• The title was changed to Lake Winnibigoshish Fishing Reports
  • The topic was unlocked