• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Rick

Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

BigWhopper

JASONY, Thanks for the rpt. Did you catch any between 6PM-5AM?-or were you not sleeping on the ice? If you don't mind letting me live vicariously thru you till I get up to the pond - What lures/presentations were working? Possible to drive 4x4 pickup around? When you say 25' - that must mean the top EDGE of a flat?? Thanks bud.

JASONY

We stayed on a different flat without any action overnight. So we fished about 7am to about 11am, then from 330pm to 6pm. Got all but a couple on jigging spoons and minnow head. Also got some on jigging raps and head. I dont think a pickup is the best option to get off road. You can obviously get to spots by the road, but like i said before is I think the key is to get away to unpressured fish. We were basically towards the top edge. I think the it tops out at about 23-24 fow. Good Luck if you head up. Going again friday. Hope they still bite!

little chief

im lookin to head up sat. morning where is the best place to get on the lake? i dont mind payin fees but would like to get on some roads that go all over if there are any? im just lookin for a good starting point!

bearslayer

Thanks for the good report. I'm heading up tomorrow night for a long weekend. Hope to have at least a little luck. Sounds like it's supposed to be nice.

Cecil

We went out of Hunters and you can get to most flats from there. They have roads to about a dozen different ones.

little chief

was lookin for anything thing on the west side. thanks though

gregg52

ya i posted a deal bout cash's wonderin if you could get from there but havnt had no replys

Norsky

I fished the northwest mud flats last weekend and did pretty well on eyes and perch. We were out way past where the plowed roads end, on a sled. I was a little worried going out that far with 2 of us on one sled pulling my portable. The fishing was worth it, but it would have been a heck of a long walk back if something were to break down. I'm heading back up on Friday morning and will be heading out on the lake by noon or so Friday. I'd be more than willing to share the location if anyone would want to caravan out onto the lake from the landing in Garrison or out of one of the resorts if preferred. The weather is supposed to be great. Correction, I'll be working until 3 on Friday and then heading up for the weekend.

gregg52

think you could get a wheel house out there ??

Norsky

Nope. There's way too much snow, only way would be to plow a road, which in itself would be tough to do that far out. It's going to be fairly warm, fishing outside of the fish house will be very possible, keep the wheel house at the end of the plowed road from Terry's and head out farther with wheelers and sleds ??? I do have an extra suitcase style portable.

gregg52

ok that a thought

you staying for the week end ?//

i was thinkin bout going over in the morning and fishing maybe come tomo night and get the sled

Norsky

Yup, I'll be up there the whole weekend, I've got a cabin on 40 acres just 3 miles west of the lake. We'll be out on Mille Lacs on Saturday and Sunday, probably in the afternoon till after sunset, maybe going to some of the smaller lakes in the morning for panfish/crappies. I'm so sick of the bitter cold weather, I need to get out and enjoy some warmer temps.

gregg52

do you know if they are catching any fish where saying to leave the wheel house

do you have yahoo messenger if you maybe we could yack there

i'm gregori52 on there

Norsky

They are catching some fish closer in on the mud, but I've always found better fishing if you get away from the crowds. I don't have yahoo messenger. email [email protected]

little chief

norsky,

i will be out this weekend goin up sat. morning and stayin till sunday evening. if your interested in caravaning? we have 2 wheelers and 2 portables. could you make it out there on a wheeler?

Norsky

I think you probably could now that the top has melted and refroze, kind of depends on how much weight you're pulling. I'd like to hit the area I was at last weekend with some more people, I'm right on a point on one of the flats and it drops down into a trough and comes back up with other little humps all around. I'd like to bring my fourwheeler also, but I only have a single place trailer. Caravaning would be great, I think it's safer traveling in groups out there.

fishgutz77

Norsky, what time are you heading out of Garrison landing?

Norsky

Whatever time works for whoever would like to meet. Last weekend we went out around noon, fishing was good from when we set up until just after sunset. Maybe 10 am or so? Doesn't really matter to me.

cjw

im new to this site,have fished just about every lake west and some in the south metro.heading up to the big pond this sat.from what im hearing sounds like the mud is picking up,1 of my favorite spots is blue jug 2nd wouldbe agate bay.it willbe easy to pick me out i wear a whole vexliar suit so if you see me come over and say hi,good luck fishing cjw.

Jon P.

Some friends and I are going up Saturday to stay in a couple of Dickie's big houses. I hope we catch some fish. I have no idea where their houses are and I've never been on the lake. There was some good information in this thread. Thanks for that and good luck to all those going out this weekend. Any more info/advise would be appreciated.

Jon

little chief

norsky,

we are goin to be up there around 930 ish we are goin out of garrison. let me know if you are still lookin for anyone or what area maybe we can just meet out on the ice somewhere. you can e_mail me [email protected]

DuckBlind

Went out of the north end of the lake last weekend, got on the ice around noon Saturday and stayed until Sunday morning. Caught 4 walleyes, 2 were to small to keep. One nice 18 inch and a nice FAT 26.5 inch (took a picture and put it back down the hole).

Caught all of them between 5pm - 8pm on fatheads. Plain hook w/ a glow bead and glow sinker. Random set up but we were trying everything.

Nothing over night and Sunday morning.

Heading up next weekend...any idea where to find some jumbo perch? It's a big lake, I don't need a map with an X on it but just a general idea if possible? Or ideas for bait, jigs, etc.

Coach1310

Went out of Appledorns on Friday. Great road system which I noticed hooks up to many other resorts as well. Fished the sand off of Doe Island Reef. I had my 3 year old along so it was pretty much, set up and hope for the best. Saw plenty of small perch on the camera, a couple nice walleyes and a big northern. Endend up only catching two perch at about 10 1/2 inchers. From about 11:00am-noon we had waves of big perch come through.... some real tanks. They were so tight to the bottom their fins were catching the sand. They weren't interested in even looking at our baits, but they were there.

Both of the keepers were taken on a Lindy Rattl'n Flyer spoon. One tipped with waxies the other a minnow head. I was told the fish were in the sand chasing shiners, but we never saw one on the camera. Good luck to those of you that go!

kstruck

Went out of Hunters yesterday (fri), we just skipped around until we found some fish on the vexilar. I know we were some where south of 8 mile, but am unsure of our exact location. We were in about 22 fow. To save a few bucks we decided we would just bring a car up and forget the ice house, bad decision, even if it was warm, being on the ice really got to me after a few hours. Saw schools of small perch come through on the camera and was able to keep the bait away from the small ones until the big ones would eventually show up. The key was pounding the buck shot spoon into the mud, then dropping down a tear drop jig with some waxies. All in all we caught 4 over 10 in, the biggest one going 12 1/2" All the action occurred from noon until my fingers froze at about 5:30. A nice 18 in walleye was taken along with a similar size tullibee. Again nothing great, but I still consider myself a novice on this lake and it was fun to have the opportunity to catch some big fish.

So in closing:

1. Camera was key to keeping the small perch away.

2. The silt cloud was key to drawing fish in.

3. Get at least several hundred yards away from others.

4. With a shelter I probably would've spent more time fishing instead trying to warm my hands up!

Shack

Some good reports guys! smile

Quote:
Both of the keepers were taken on a Lindy Rattl'n Flyer spoon. One tipped with waxies

That is very killer combo for bigger fish, when the minnow body or head fails to get a bite wink.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are holding in the low 50's but expect them to continue to drop this week with temperatures in the high 30's and even snow in the forecast.

Both Minnesota and Canadian walleye fishing are on fire with only a jig and shiner or minnow needed. Look for Walleye in areas of current, pinch points between islands or rocky bays. Fish are currently shiner dependent in 17-25 feet.

Crappies are being found away from the rocks suspended over mud bottoms in 24-28 feet.

Perch can be found on deeper reefs topping out at 28 feet. 

Muskie trolling is off to a great start and will only continue to get better as the water temperature reaches into the high 40's. 

We will be closing down for ice in October 22nd - we hope to see you before then for some late fall fantastic fishing!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Lake of the Woods water temps are steadily falling into the mid to low 50’s. This past week cold fronts and strong winds have fish schooling up and feeding heavily.

In Minnesota, look to rocky bays and adjacent reefs in 15-22ft. of water.  A jig and minnow is all that is needed to catch a limit in a short period of time. Bottle necks between islands in the NW Angle are also worth fishing in the evenings.

In Canada, the fishing has been excellent.  Crappie, walleye and perch are all schooling up and taking a jig and minnow.  With the water temperatures dropping, expect to see the muskie bite increase while trolling. 

We will be closing October 22nd for ice in! Contact us for availability for your fall fishing trip!

We hope to see you soon,
      Sunset Lodge

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the main basin... Very strong walleye fishing continues with the jig bite picking up.  Charters finding limits of eater walleyes with big fish mixed in.  Crankbaits, spinners / crawlers and jigs with frozen shiners in main basin successful. 15-31 feet of water producing good numbers of walleyes across south shore with very good numbers in front of gap. Shiners showing up at mouth of Rainy River as well as up the Rainy River. 
      On the Rainy River... With shiners entering the river, eater walleyes showing up as well.  Anglers reporting success both jigging and pulling crankbaits.  Walleye activity will be increasing as shiner run continues.  

Up at the NW Angle... Strong numbers of walleyes being caught on mud flats and around Garden Island. 15 - 25' is a good start.  Spinners, crankbaits and jigging all producing.  Some nice jumbo perch mixed with walleyes.  Muskie activity picking up as water is cooling.  Next full moon, Sep 24.  Crappie anglers are producing big black slabs.  

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Minnesota walleye action remains strong with spinners in mud bottomed areas near reefs using both minnows and crawlers. Fish can also be found in shallower water (15ft. or less) around Garden Island. Crankbaits seem to be the most effective at enticing larger fish. 
      Canadian walleye fishing has been fabulous this past week. The jig and minnow bite is on! Multiple boats ran out of bait and had just as much success switching to plastics. Bottom bouncing with crawlers remains effective in soft bottom areas as well.  Crappies continue to school up on deep water points. Hot windows of muskie bites have become shorter but still with good success.  Plenty of fish in the 4ft plus range and even a couple over 50!
      Water temps remain stable between 64-67 degrees. 
      See you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      9.4.18 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye fishing remains best with deep trolling minnow baits in 22-27 feet of water.  These same areas will provide action with a spinner and a minnow, however crawlers are still producing fish.  In the coming weeks, jig and minnow fishing will be the go to with fish stacking themselves on points and current areas. 

Canadian walleye action remains strong on bottom bouncer and spinner rigs with either a crawler or minnow.  Walleye are starting to school tighter making jig and minnow fishing very effective. Fall fishing is starting to heat up and we are seeing crappies schooled up on deep points.

Surface water temps are currently in the low 70’s throughout the day. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye fishing has been great using bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Anglers are being selective to fill limits with 16-18” fish as well as a few over 28 released. Most success has been in the mud, off of structure in 21-23 feet and 26-30 feet. The largest fish seem to come from South of Garden Island on crank-baits.

Canadian walleye are also most effectively targeted with bottom bouncers and spinners. Depth has not been as important as being at the bottom of a break line in the flat. Gold with chartreuse has been best as of late.  Musky activity has slowed from the prior weeks but expect it to ramp up with the full moon approaching. Perch have been schooled up on and around reefs topping out around 30 feet.

Water temps remain consistently in the low to mid 70’s. 

Remember - fall is the time for trophy fish up at the NW Angle!

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, spinners and crawler harnesses are still the preferred method of walleye fishing, with the hot colors being pink/gold, orange/gold and orange/chartreuse. Walleye are being caught off of structure scattered in the mud between 20 and 30 feet. Down riggers and deep running crank baits have also been productive.

Canadian walleye are being caught in channels off of islands and along reefs in 18 to 25 feet of water. Both bottom bouncers with a crawler harness and a jig with minnow or shiner have both been successful in Canadian waters.

Musky fishing success has increased in the past week. Fish are being caught on crank baits and blade baits. With water temps in the low 70’s muskies are favoring rocks near weeds. 

Our very own, Travis Palmquist, released a 54.5" musky yesterday!

Fall is a great time for trophy fishing!

We hope to see you soon,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye are still scattered through out the main lake basin. Night crawlers on a spinner remains most effective.  Make drifts/passes parallel but off of structure including islands and reef break lines in 24-30 feet.  Hot colors have been gold/pink, gold/orange or hammered gold.  Deep running crank baits are another good option, often producing bigger fish and large northern pike. 

On the Canadian side of the lake, fish can be schooled on humps and reefs.  Once located, fish these areas with a jig and minnow or shiner.  Pulling spinners in 25-30 feet of water is most productive in covering ground to locate feeding and roaming walleye.  Muskie action continues to improve through out the week.  Multiple big fish were caught on Sunday with many others boated as well as, a lot of lookers.  As activity levels rise, blade baits have been triggering positive reactions. Water temperatures remain consistent in the low 70's. 

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Water temps are consitently in the mid to high 70’s.
      Walleye in Minnesota can be caught on reefs with a jig and minnow. More productive methods currently are bottom bouncers and crank-baits in 24-28 feet of water.  Covering a lot of ground is key when the fish arent schooled together.  We have had many 40”+ Pike caught while trolling, reports of large Muskie also.
      Candian walleye are spread out as well, making bottom bouncing and deep cranks the ticket to success. Fish mud bottomed areas deeper than 25ft for best results. Many nice jumbo perch limits have been coming in recently. They are biting on a jig and fathead and are concentrated at 28-30ft.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are starting in the low 70’s in the morning, reaching mid to upper 70’s in the evening.

Minnesota walleye action can be hot running deep diving crank-baits straight, down rigging or lead core. Soft bottom areas can also be worked with spinners and a night crawler.  Fish have been favoring gold on bright days and orange, chartreus or pink in low light.  Many larger northern pike this last week in the boat via crank-baits just outside of rock reefs and points.

Canadian walleye fishing has been more productive away from reefs and points in soft bottomed areas. The best method is to pull a spinner to find concentrations along the bottom and switch to jigging to fill out limits.

Musky attitude in Canada varies day to day. Plenty of fish are still being caught in shallow weeds including a couple of 50+ giants this past week.  Fish are also being caught in more traditional mid-summer spots such as rock reefs and points.  The most productive baits this week were crane baits or other flat baits, buck tails and top waters. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• knoppers
      bump give ice reports if you can. just don't go on any ice to give a report, be safe.   I know my 300 acre lake in aitkin froze  over last weekend, but ice depth could vary greatly this time of year.
    • Fishing Frenzy
      Anyone know of the lake is froze over? Or how much ice is on the lake if it is?
    • Schwarz04
      I’ll be out looking tomorrow... Have a spot in mind that I’m optimistic about. Which direction from downtown were you?
    • eyeguy 54
      Got the hangers today and really like them. I did have to drill a slot so they would work but easy peasy. The metal can be bent a bit to get the angle wanted. Moved the turkey fans to a different room and centered the 3 euros. I like the way it ended up.     New Age Taxidermy Head Honcho European Mounts on Amazon Smile
    • Rick
      The holidays are coming to the Governor’s Residence! Foresters from the Department of Natural Resources and the Conservation Corps of Minnesota harvested the official state Christmas tree Nov. 16 from the Nemadji State Forest. The tree, which is approximately 60 years old, will decorate the Governor’s Residence in St. Paul. “This year’s tree is absolutely gorgeous—tall, full, and almost perfectly shaped,” said Jean Mouelle, the DNR forester who selected this year’s tree. “It’s an impressive example of a balsam fir.” Each year, DNR staff chooses the Governor’s Christmas tree from one of Minnesota’s 59 state forests. Although the tree is always harvested on the Friday before Thanksgiving, the search for the perfect tree begins months beforehand. DNR foresters keep an eye out for a tall tree that’s nicely shaped and well filled out. The tree also needs to be in a location where it will not be damaged when dropped, and where foresters can easily remove it from the forest and load it onto a trailer. The tree will be set up at the Governor’s Residence, 1006 Summit Ave., St. Paul, at 9 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 19, and lit Monday, Nov. 26. Information about viewing the tree can be found at www.mn.gov/admin/governors-residence/tours/schedule. Half a million Christmas trees are harvested from private tree farms in Minnesota each holiday season, contributing about $30 million to the state’s economy. For each tree harvested, one to three trees are planted. Real Christmas trees provide an environmentally friendly decorating option during the holidays because they store carbon during their lifespan and can be chipped for mulch when the season is over. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • eyeguy 54
      Should get the hangers today and will post info. I see that mountain Mikes has them also. Built to fit in the hole in back. The ones I ordered are for the bone skull so hopefully, dont have to send them back. Just got Marks done.  16 inch inside. Mine is 15 1/4. Not monsters but pretty neat. Marks biggest so far. 
    • jgrimmz
      I typically mount with a wire hidden behind the brain cavity routed through holes in the plaque to a screw behind the plaque.   Curious about this angled hanger, it tilts the nose of the skull away from the wall? Do you have a link? I like that idea, might have to rig something up when my euro is ready. 
    • rumeye
      Was around both lakes yesterday and they appear to be locked up. Shouldn't be long now.
    • eyeguy 54
      I hate when I am walking back to vehicle and they have roosted partway and I didnt know it, then they explode and I freak. LOL 
    • paceman
      Bow hunting the other day I had a flock of about 20 come in at last light to roost in a nearby tree. No way a deer was going to come in with all that racket! It was kind of odd to see them hop from tree to tree but at the same time cool to see! Graceful and quiet they were not!