• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Rick

Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

BigWhopper

JASONY, Thanks for the rpt. Did you catch any between 6PM-5AM?-or were you not sleeping on the ice? If you don't mind letting me live vicariously thru you till I get up to the pond - What lures/presentations were working? Possible to drive 4x4 pickup around? When you say 25' - that must mean the top EDGE of a flat?? Thanks bud.

JASONY

We stayed on a different flat without any action overnight. So we fished about 7am to about 11am, then from 330pm to 6pm. Got all but a couple on jigging spoons and minnow head. Also got some on jigging raps and head. I dont think a pickup is the best option to get off road. You can obviously get to spots by the road, but like i said before is I think the key is to get away to unpressured fish. We were basically towards the top edge. I think the it tops out at about 23-24 fow. Good Luck if you head up. Going again friday. Hope they still bite!

little chief

im lookin to head up sat. morning where is the best place to get on the lake? i dont mind payin fees but would like to get on some roads that go all over if there are any? im just lookin for a good starting point!

bearslayer

Thanks for the good report. I'm heading up tomorrow night for a long weekend. Hope to have at least a little luck. Sounds like it's supposed to be nice.

Cecil

We went out of Hunters and you can get to most flats from there. They have roads to about a dozen different ones.

little chief

was lookin for anything thing on the west side. thanks though

gregg52

ya i posted a deal bout cash's wonderin if you could get from there but havnt had no replys

Norsky

I fished the northwest mud flats last weekend and did pretty well on eyes and perch. We were out way past where the plowed roads end, on a sled. I was a little worried going out that far with 2 of us on one sled pulling my portable. The fishing was worth it, but it would have been a heck of a long walk back if something were to break down. I'm heading back up on Friday morning and will be heading out on the lake by noon or so Friday. I'd be more than willing to share the location if anyone would want to caravan out onto the lake from the landing in Garrison or out of one of the resorts if preferred. The weather is supposed to be great. Correction, I'll be working until 3 on Friday and then heading up for the weekend.

gregg52

think you could get a wheel house out there ??

Norsky

Nope. There's way too much snow, only way would be to plow a road, which in itself would be tough to do that far out. It's going to be fairly warm, fishing outside of the fish house will be very possible, keep the wheel house at the end of the plowed road from Terry's and head out farther with wheelers and sleds ??? I do have an extra suitcase style portable.

gregg52

ok that a thought

you staying for the week end ?//

i was thinkin bout going over in the morning and fishing maybe come tomo night and get the sled

Norsky

Yup, I'll be up there the whole weekend, I've got a cabin on 40 acres just 3 miles west of the lake. We'll be out on Mille Lacs on Saturday and Sunday, probably in the afternoon till after sunset, maybe going to some of the smaller lakes in the morning for panfish/crappies. I'm so sick of the bitter cold weather, I need to get out and enjoy some warmer temps.

gregg52

do you know if they are catching any fish where saying to leave the wheel house

do you have yahoo messenger if you maybe we could yack there

i'm gregori52 on there

Norsky

They are catching some fish closer in on the mud, but I've always found better fishing if you get away from the crowds. I don't have yahoo messenger. email [email protected]

little chief

norsky,

i will be out this weekend goin up sat. morning and stayin till sunday evening. if your interested in caravaning? we have 2 wheelers and 2 portables. could you make it out there on a wheeler?

Norsky

I think you probably could now that the top has melted and refroze, kind of depends on how much weight you're pulling. I'd like to hit the area I was at last weekend with some more people, I'm right on a point on one of the flats and it drops down into a trough and comes back up with other little humps all around. I'd like to bring my fourwheeler also, but I only have a single place trailer. Caravaning would be great, I think it's safer traveling in groups out there.

fishgutz77

Norsky, what time are you heading out of Garrison landing?

Norsky

Whatever time works for whoever would like to meet. Last weekend we went out around noon, fishing was good from when we set up until just after sunset. Maybe 10 am or so? Doesn't really matter to me.

cjw

im new to this site,have fished just about every lake west and some in the south metro.heading up to the big pond this sat.from what im hearing sounds like the mud is picking up,1 of my favorite spots is blue jug 2nd wouldbe agate bay.it willbe easy to pick me out i wear a whole vexliar suit so if you see me come over and say hi,good luck fishing cjw.

Jon P.

Some friends and I are going up Saturday to stay in a couple of Dickie's big houses. I hope we catch some fish. I have no idea where their houses are and I've never been on the lake. There was some good information in this thread. Thanks for that and good luck to all those going out this weekend. Any more info/advise would be appreciated.

Jon

little chief

norsky,

we are goin to be up there around 930 ish we are goin out of garrison. let me know if you are still lookin for anyone or what area maybe we can just meet out on the ice somewhere. you can e_mail me [email protected]

DuckBlind

Went out of the north end of the lake last weekend, got on the ice around noon Saturday and stayed until Sunday morning. Caught 4 walleyes, 2 were to small to keep. One nice 18 inch and a nice FAT 26.5 inch (took a picture and put it back down the hole).

Caught all of them between 5pm - 8pm on fatheads. Plain hook w/ a glow bead and glow sinker. Random set up but we were trying everything.

Nothing over night and Sunday morning.

Heading up next weekend...any idea where to find some jumbo perch? It's a big lake, I don't need a map with an X on it but just a general idea if possible? Or ideas for bait, jigs, etc.

Coach1310

Went out of Appledorns on Friday. Great road system which I noticed hooks up to many other resorts as well. Fished the sand off of Doe Island Reef. I had my 3 year old along so it was pretty much, set up and hope for the best. Saw plenty of small perch on the camera, a couple nice walleyes and a big northern. Endend up only catching two perch at about 10 1/2 inchers. From about 11:00am-noon we had waves of big perch come through.... some real tanks. They were so tight to the bottom their fins were catching the sand. They weren't interested in even looking at our baits, but they were there.

Both of the keepers were taken on a Lindy Rattl'n Flyer spoon. One tipped with waxies the other a minnow head. I was told the fish were in the sand chasing shiners, but we never saw one on the camera. Good luck to those of you that go!

kstruck

Went out of Hunters yesterday (fri), we just skipped around until we found some fish on the vexilar. I know we were some where south of 8 mile, but am unsure of our exact location. We were in about 22 fow. To save a few bucks we decided we would just bring a car up and forget the ice house, bad decision, even if it was warm, being on the ice really got to me after a few hours. Saw schools of small perch come through on the camera and was able to keep the bait away from the small ones until the big ones would eventually show up. The key was pounding the buck shot spoon into the mud, then dropping down a tear drop jig with some waxies. All in all we caught 4 over 10 in, the biggest one going 12 1/2" All the action occurred from noon until my fingers froze at about 5:30. A nice 18 in walleye was taken along with a similar size tullibee. Again nothing great, but I still consider myself a novice on this lake and it was fun to have the opportunity to catch some big fish.

So in closing:

1. Camera was key to keeping the small perch away.

2. The silt cloud was key to drawing fish in.

3. Get at least several hundred yards away from others.

4. With a shelter I probably would've spent more time fishing instead trying to warm my hands up!

Shack

Some good reports guys! smile

Quote:
Both of the keepers were taken on a Lindy Rattl'n Flyer spoon. One tipped with waxies

That is very killer combo for bigger fish, when the minnow body or head fails to get a bite wink.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello, from Sunset Lodge!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. In Minnesota, high winds limited fishing areas but many of our guests were able to find the walleyes stacked up on the humps pulling spinners.  Gold and green crawler harnesses are working the best.

In Canada, working a slower presentation such as a lift and drag technique has been most effective.  Limits of walleye are being caught using gold and chartreus colors in 18-22 ft.  Key areas have been Deepwater Bay, Monkey Rocks and the west side of Falcon Island.  Smallmouth fishing has been heating up as well, using a jig and plastic on the rocks. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      In Minnesota, walleye fishing has been fantastic! Using a jig and minnow or a bobber rig, walleye can be had anywhere from 3-15 feet in the evening and 18-25 during the day. Pink and white, chartreuse or blue and white jigs have been the most productive.

Canadian walleye are being found a little deeper at 22-26 feet. Many nice fish were caught this last week, multiple 26-28 inch and a very nice 30 incher. A jig and frozen shiner is the go to, however a freshly dead fathead works equally as well.

Surface water temps are in the high 50’s at sunrise, reaching mid to upper 60’s by evening after this sunny Memorial day weekend!

• AdamT
      By AdamT
      I have a week trip planned for opening week on the big pond.  Should I reschedule?  I know the record ice out for that lake is May 16th. Does it look like that will be broken this year?
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. Minnesota fishermen can be selective of fish kept, as  they have had no problem filling Walleye limits.  17-19 feet will produce late in the day with 21-25 feet being most productive away from structure during mid day. Pink, white and gold have been most productive all around. Glow or UV have also had success during cloudy conditions if charged often.

Canada continues to give up Crappies between 25 and 32ft, still with a light setup and electronics. Many tulibee and the ocassional whitefish are being caught while crappie fishing.  Walleye in Canada on points and reefs remain easy to catch.

We still have plenty of ice on the Minnesota and Canadian side and trails are still being groomed. 

March is a great time for a last minute trip to the Angle!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

The Minnesota side is still kicking out fish between 18-25 feet. Fish are hitting jigging spoons when active; specifically White, Gold or U.V.  When activity levels are slow, try the Deadstick 8-10 inches from the bottom. We had numerous Giant Pike this week, all caught on Walleye spoons.

Canadian Walleye fishing is incredible. Fish are slamming aggressive presentations like rip’n raps and spoons tipped with Shiners. Crappie action varies day to day. An ultra-light set up is guaranteed to catch more Crappies than a walleye rod.

Trails are still being manicured and are in overall great condition. The warmer weather is exposing ice chunks off of the snowmobile trail and creating heaves, one near Knight Island deserves attention. Travel cautiously off of marked trails. We have 3+ feet of ice.

See you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been most productive in 20-24 feet of water.  Guests are bringing home their limits of Walleye and Sauger with the occasional Perch and Northern mixed in. Fish have been most active early and late in the day and the bite has been terrific. The use of electronics continues to be very beneficial with fish taking jigging spoons, jigg’n raps or rattle baits.  Snowmobile ttrails on the Minnesota side continue to be maintained and are in great shape. We are still making ice, with most spots at over 30 inches. 

North and East of us in Canada, big Crappies are coming in on light tackle setups out of 30 feet. If you are looking for walleye, they are everywhere!

Until next week, 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been really good this past week with good numbers of slot fish and a 30” walleye. We have been on the move with our houses and it is paying off.  Multiple houses producing an all day sauger bite with plenty of walleye mixed in. 20-24 feet is where we have found the most action. Glow and white/gold spoons have been the prefered color as of late. 

Our snowmobile and marked trails are in great condition.  Thirty inches of ice is common with 24 in higher current areas.

Up in Canada, limits of crappies are still being had in 30’ and deeper water.  Ultra light tackle and rod set up can make the difference some days, while other days crappies can be caught on Rip’n Raps and Jigging spoons.  Walleye action remains strong on reefs and points in 24-28 feet. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, limits of walleye and sauger are being caught between 22 and 25 feet. Presentation changes daily from deadstick to jigging but not both. Pink and white, or gold and chartreuse have had many slot fish and lost a few BIG ones.

The Canadian side of the lake has seen a lot of northern action, with the biggest closing in on 48.” Walleye are still plentiful off of reefs and points. Crappie action has been sporatic with the changing weather fronts. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye continue to be caught in 18-21 feet at the bottom of shoreline breaks.  Rattle baits and jigging spoons call fish to the holes, while a plain hook and minnow seals the deal. Perch and sauger are consistently found between 25 and 28 feet, walleye can be found there too for a good mid-day bite. The hottest bite this week was within an hour of sundown. 

Up in Canada, walleye fishing remains relatively easy, get yourself to a spot that looks like walleye structure and start reeling them in!
      Canadian crappies are still filling freezers at 28-32 feet, with small UV colored rip’n raps or a small jig and plastic.  Depth finders have proven to be a necessity with finding a pattern in the fish, whether it be rising or falling jigging action.  

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      1.22.18 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Minnesota walleye fishing has been consistent between 18-21 feet. The most effective method is on the dead stick set slightly above the jigging rod. 25-28 feet is also filling buckets with a good walleye and sauger mix, even the occasional jumbo perch. Slender and Tundra spoons have been bringing fish to the house. We have also seen numerous northern pike this week with the largest being over 42.”
      Canadian walleye fishing remain excellent, especially along points and reefs. Crappie action has been hit or miss. The bite has been better in the morning with anglers limiting out in the first few hours. Fishing deeper than 28 feet is important to get good action.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• skyking
      Was up last week on Kab and it seemed that your bait depended on where you were fishing. Some areas leeches did good, but others minnows were the go to. We lindy rigged the entire trip and on days when wind was gusty we did pretty good shallower with minnows in 13 to 20 ft....then some areas we were doing better with leeches 16 to 32 ft. No wind was like the dead sea.
    • Mike89
      catch and eat the crawfish too!!!
    • Uncle Boney
      I can second A Warrior.  Jumbo leeches for Walleye.  Northern were more interested in minnows and crawlers.
    • Harry Goodliffe
      A Carp Anglers Group Fishing social will be on June 23rd in Coon Rapids. If you enter the park from the Coon Rapids side (Egret Blvd), take a left from the parking lot and drive towards the picnic shelters. Take a right at the first stop sign and park in the lot. We will be fishing in the stretch or river behind the picnic shelter/playground. Start time can be before 7am and you can fish into the evening if you want. There will be medals for the 3 largest fish captured.
    • Gone Out Fishin
      Thanks for lots of good info guys.  Sounds like if I do things right I can have fish for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I'll try fishing that reef for some evening walleye. Bobber fish for some sunnies in the weeds.  @delcecchi, I catch enough Walleye in the summer that I really don't want to ask. I won't shy away from a bite. I'll check that little bay for crappies.  @vermilionfox, Wow that is a lot of location data. My PROP thanks you for the rock info!  Merry Go Round? I have another question regarding the Rusty Crawfish... are they a problem on the west side of the lake too? Bloody mini lobsters. I remember spending lots of time using orange for bass and walleye since they were a major food source. Been years since I've done that.  Gone Out Fishin
    • Parmer
      I don't think you will be able to run it on that generator. I have a yamaha 2000 and I have not tried it yet but from everything I have read you need 2800 watts to start the AC. All the 2018 ice castle fish houses are coleman mach 3 plus AC I think. 
    • BigVwalters
      The fishing was pretty decent over the weekend.  Walleyes were biting on rigs with leeches or crawlers. Caught 12 between Friday and Saturday with with 4 nice slotters.   Biggest being a 24".   
    • Borch
      Star Island in Cass Lake has remote, boat in primitive camping as well.
    • A Warrior
      Just returned from a successful trip on Kab.  Minnows did catch fish, but leeches were the ticket
    • Rick
      Angling regulations on Lake of the Woods and the Rainy River in northern Minnesota would change under a proposal being considered by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources to reduce the number of walleye and sauger allowed to be kept in the winter on the lake, and on the river allowing only catch-and-release fishing for those fish in the spring.  “We recently went through a public process of updating the Lake of the Woods Fisheries Management Plan and identified several potential areas of concern with regard to current levels of harvest,” said Phil Talmage, Baudette fisheries supervisor. “That’s why we’re discussing these potential changes.” The proposed changes would reduce the aggregate limit of walleye and sauger in the winter to align with the summer regulations on Lake of the Woods, and make spring angling on the Rainy River catch-and-release for walleye and sauger. The changes would go into effect starting March 1, 2019. Anglers will see yellow signs at public water accesses around Lake of the Woods and the Rainy River later this month notifying the public of the proposal. Future news releases will provide the details of a formal public comment period during the fall, and will include ways to provide comment to the DNR on the proposal. For more information on Lake of the Woods management go to mndnr.gov/lakeofthewoods. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.