• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Rick

ok that a thought

you staying for the week end ?//

i was thinkin bout going over in the morning and fishing maybe come tomo night and get the sled

Yup, I'll be up there the whole weekend, I've got a cabin on 40 acres just 3 miles west of the lake. We'll be out on Mille Lacs on Saturday and Sunday, probably in the afternoon till after sunset, maybe going to some of the smaller lakes in the morning for panfish/crappies. I'm so sick of the bitter cold weather, I need to get out and enjoy some warmer temps.

do you know if they are catching any fish where saying to leave the wheel house

do you have yahoo messenger if you maybe we could yack there

i'm gregori52 on there

norsky,

i will be out this weekend goin up sat. morning and stayin till sunday evening. if your interested in caravaning? we have 2 wheelers and 2 portables. could you make it out there on a wheeler?

I think you probably could now that the top has melted and refroze, kind of depends on how much weight you're pulling. I'd like to hit the area I was at last weekend with some more people, I'm right on a point on one of the flats and it drops down into a trough and comes back up with other little humps all around. I'd like to bring my fourwheeler also, but I only have a single place trailer. Caravaning would be great, I think it's safer traveling in groups out there.

Whatever time works for whoever would like to meet. Last weekend we went out around noon, fishing was good from when we set up until just after sunset. Maybe 10 am or so? Doesn't really matter to me.

im new to this site,have fished just about every lake west and some in the south metro.heading up to the big pond this sat.from what im hearing sounds like the mud is picking up,1 of my favorite spots is blue jug 2nd wouldbe agate bay.it willbe easy to pick me out i wear a whole vexliar suit so if you see me come over and say hi,good luck fishing cjw.

Some friends and I are going up Saturday to stay in a couple of Dickie's big houses. I hope we catch some fish. I have no idea where their houses are and I've never been on the lake. There was some good information in this thread. Thanks for that and good luck to all those going out this weekend. Any more info/advise would be appreciated.

Jon

norsky,

we are goin to be up there around 930 ish we are goin out of garrison. let me know if you are still lookin for anyone or what area maybe we can just meet out on the ice somewhere. you can e_mail me [email protected]

Went out of the north end of the lake last weekend, got on the ice around noon Saturday and stayed until Sunday morning. Caught 4 walleyes, 2 were to small to keep. One nice 18 inch and a nice FAT 26.5 inch (took a picture and put it back down the hole).

Caught all of them between 5pm - 8pm on fatheads. Plain hook w/ a glow bead and glow sinker. Random set up but we were trying everything.

Nothing over night and Sunday morning.

Heading up next weekend...any idea where to find some jumbo perch? It's a big lake, I don't need a map with an X on it but just a general idea if possible? Or ideas for bait, jigs, etc.

Went out of Appledorns on Friday. Great road system which I noticed hooks up to many other resorts as well. Fished the sand off of Doe Island Reef. I had my 3 year old along so it was pretty much, set up and hope for the best. Saw plenty of small perch on the camera, a couple nice walleyes and a big northern. Endend up only catching two perch at about 10 1/2 inchers. From about 11:00am-noon we had waves of big perch come through.... some real tanks. They were so tight to the bottom their fins were catching the sand. They weren't interested in even looking at our baits, but they were there.

Both of the keepers were taken on a Lindy Rattl'n Flyer spoon. One tipped with waxies the other a minnow head. I was told the fish were in the sand chasing shiners, but we never saw one on the camera. Good luck to those of you that go!

Went out of Hunters yesterday (fri), we just skipped around until we found some fish on the vexilar. I know we were some where south of 8 mile, but am unsure of our exact location. We were in about 22 fow. To save a few bucks we decided we would just bring a car up and forget the ice house, bad decision, even if it was warm, being on the ice really got to me after a few hours. Saw schools of small perch come through on the camera and was able to keep the bait away from the small ones until the big ones would eventually show up. The key was pounding the buck shot spoon into the mud, then dropping down a tear drop jig with some waxies. All in all we caught 4 over 10 in, the biggest one going 12 1/2" All the action occurred from noon until my fingers froze at about 5:30. A nice 18 in walleye was taken along with a similar size tullibee. Again nothing great, but I still consider myself a novice on this lake and it was fun to have the opportunity to catch some big fish.

So in closing:

1. Camera was key to keeping the small perch away.

2. The silt cloud was key to drawing fish in.

3. Get at least several hundred yards away from others.

4. With a shelter I probably would've spent more time fishing instead trying to warm my hands up!

Some good reports guys! smile

Quote:
Both of the keepers were taken on a Lindy Rattl'n Flyer spoon. One tipped with waxies

That is very killer combo for bigger fish, when the minnow body or head fails to get a bite wink.

Fished with a buddy today on the mud. Kept 7 perch, nothing smaller than 10". Lots of small perch down there. 10-15 tulibees between the two of us also. 2 small walleyes, and this kicker 25" right before we packed up.

1000693as7.jpg

BSG - nice pic! Thanks for sharin. What lures were u catchin all the tullibee on? waxies or minnow heads?? Headin up on Friday to chase'm. Prob on the flats somewhere.

Nice fish BSG. I was in 27 feet of water on the mud. Had the camera down saw tons of perch. Only managed to catch a few. Had one flag go up about 645. Put the camera back down in the morning and it was like the perch turned into walleye. Seemed like just as many and all our group managed to get was an 8lb eel pout. I thought for sure it would be a better bite but it was tough. Good signs to come though.

Spent Friday and Sat. on different mud flats and only managed 2 small walleyes. Sat. night had about 12 come in on vex. between 4:30-6:30, but could only get 1 to bite. Tough bite. All the walleyes I found were on the tops of flats, 23-25 fow. Watched them on camera come in, but wouldn't hit. Tried lots of different presentations.

Thanks Guys.....Tulibees came on rattlin flyers with minnow parts (heads,tails, bodies) for the most part, a few came on whole minnows with smaller jigs. For the most part it was slow for us also.... keep moving, pounding bottom and move and pound some more.

Good weekend out on Mille Lacs, these two walleyes were caught within 30 minutes of each other. The older guy is my father in-law, biggest eye he's ever caught (28inches) Mine was around 27 inches-very fat and healthy. The jumbos were going good again, ended up keeping around 20 that were from 11-13 inches. Fun weekend with the nice weather.

I'm not sure how to get the pics on here, but the link works.

walleyepics

was up this past sat,started on blue jug didnt to to well.we ended up at 3 mile(out of nittis)started out bad but 2 hours before dark and with my camera i saw more walleyes than i have ever seen in my life.my buddy missed 3 and pulled in 1 17incher,it was crazy 3 or more at a time on my screen(not small either)was on a break line it went from 26 and gravel to 31 and silt.once it got to dark and couldnt use the camera it slowed up.

Fished the flats last weekend and caught a number of fish. On saturday ended up with a doz. jumbos, 6 walleyes, and some tulibees. We looked like a couple of Ioweagans out there with the shmorgasboard laying on the ice. We had a good time and steady but not fast action.

• The title was changed to 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports