• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Rick

Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Juan Grande

On beds or getting close as of last weekend.

• Like 1

monstermoose78

Getting ready to spawn my cousin said they are super fat!!! 

• Like 1

BlackArrow1

Ran the mud flats a few days ago. Mid lake flats. Saw fish holding on the points and side breaks to deeper just off em. Got some nicer fish out there 22-28inchers. But it was kinda tough. They were not super positive. Lindy n leeches. Hit a rock reef shallow at dark with bobber. Smallies to start. Got kind of worried at around  8 pm. It was dead. At around 8:30 the bobber kept going down steady. Was anchored in 5ft and drop was to 8-10ft where I was fishin bobber. Got a 28 inch big gal and a handful of em from 18-24inch. The fish were all full guts fat! Even the smallies/Rock bass I got there were fat. Funny thing was by 9:30 all the eyes got were small. Like 9-12 inchers and they were abundant. Could not keep em off the line. Not many reports here. It was real windy and tough fishing. I talked with several other anglers and they did similar. Heard the rock reefs by shore were full of fish still. The reports of the lake being in a state of emergency are up-played for media popularity in my mind. Stayed next to a couple fine guys from Iowa that came 10 hours to fish smallmouth out of Hunters Point. Mille Lacs is still a phenomenal fishery. People wanna be on it still regardless of bad press. All species of fish are still abundant. I've stayed at 2 different resorts the last 2 weeks and the service was great for lodging/landing. (Agate Bay/Hunters Point). I had great angling and had great services. Even last winter the Red Door was premium. Mille Lacs outfits do what they can to point you to fish and make your stay nice. It's just great. 

• Like 3

Juan Grande

Great report aanderud!

ole

Any perch showing up?

Captain24

Fished the mud and rocks today in the 5-10mph winds....(N 10-15mph gusts to 20 with 3 foot rollers) what a joke, nice forecast for a 3 hour drive! ANYWAY.....didn't do real great, 1 22" in the mud and lost another. Red spinner and leech. Tried power corking with one take down but notta when I set the hook. Marked a couple good pods  of fish in the deep mud (28-31') but couldn't get them to go. Boat control was a spectacular nightmare!

Moved to the south end rocks (16' to 3') with tubes and cranks for smallmouth....3 in the boat lost 1. A lot of windshield time for little results. Still beats work! Gonna go back next Wednesday, I'll let you know. 

Edited by Captain24
  • Like 3

BlackArrow1

Not much talk going on here. Was out on the mud last Monday. Did fair. Graphed pockets of nice fish. They were kind of finicky at times. Seemed they hung side breaks or deeper. Long lindy and leeches did ok. I got frustrated and did some slow death rigging through them with crawlers and no takers. At some point they turned on for no reason. Got active for like an hour at a time. Some of my best action came from a blown up whole crawler on 8ft leader below the boat with a 1/2 oz weight. They hammered and ran with the crawler. When the leeches aren't going give the crawlers a shot. I use a #4 red hook, hook once above the knuckle and back through just below it. Inflate and fish it slow like a leech rig. They really seemed to like that presentation. The fish that hit that set up pounded it. My rock bite at dark was plagued by small eyes a plenty. 

• Like 1

aanderud

Nice report, and nice pics too!  Thanks Wanderer.

1eyeReD

Was up Sat. Caught some fish. Wasn't a totally hot bite. But some bit. Yes, they're out on the flats.

Edited by 1eyeReD
  • Like 1

1eyeReD

Awesome trip. Awesome photo. Hope to get my kiddo up there one day.

elusivecrappiecatcher

Fished both Friday and Saturday for a tournament... Tough fishing a flat calm sunny lake for 2 days, but the fish were biting!

Seemed like Friday it was a live rigging day. My dad ran a 6ft snell red hook with a leech which seemed to work well for him. I was using slow death and that work fine as well. It was the first time I had used it and I am hooked.  In the morning the fish were running the top edge of the flats. speed was SLOOOWWW! .3MPH would work fine.

Saturday was tourney time and we managed 2 nice fish right away on long snells again with a leech in 24ft of water.  Picked up another off the edge of the flat that was 22.5" but we were fishing more like .08-1 mph.

Judging by the weight in though, DEEP was the ticket with live bait rigs. 30-34ft of water off a flat all day put up a 28lb 5 fish bag which was awesome!

LOTS of little dink walleyes that will keep you busy out there. Didn't matter how you fished you will catch them. Heck even pulled leadcore on Friday for a little while and the little guys still would go after the bigger stick baits.

Smallmouth action is still hot! I have read that they have moved out to deeper water. Seemed like all fish caught were up along shore in rocks with tops waters and shallow running cranks and drop shot rigs.

• Like 2

aanderud

Thanks for the report, elusivecrappiecacher.  I think we would have had more luck later in the day further off the flats, when that water flattened out and the sun was out.  They slowed down bigtime on top and near the edges.  I might give those slow death hooks a try too.  And there's some wobbly floaters (Lindy 'Lil Guy) that a guy can get that are supposed to be all the rage too.  Might try them next time.

I really prefer fishing for flathead catfish better than walleyes, but for enough action to keep the 7 year old interested, I'll compromise on Mille Lacs walleyes!  :) I might be back in 2 weeks, we'll see.

Edited by aanderud

elusivecrappiecatcher

I actually tried the Lindy Lil' Guy with no luck on Saturday during the tournament. No luck with it. I won't give up on it though as I never had a chance to give it a real shot. I just had to drop it down and see. The live bait had turned off for a bit so I was throwing the tackle box at them trying to get something going again. I needed more fish for the card! haha

DLD24

The weather threw us a curveball yesterday, left cloquet after work at 2 with no wind and drove right into a T-storm when we got to Mille lacs....Ended up holed up in the bar until 7pm (crazy how windy it got at the end of the front) we fished from 730 till dark and got 9 eyes all on jig n leech

DLD24

Hit the pond again yesterday got 20 some eyes and 8 smallies...Got the majority of the eyes on slip bobbers and leaches, they were stacked on the bottom edge of a hump....23ft was our best depth...They were sure off on the wind forecast...

• Like 1

Kettle

Sitting on the shore currently in father Hennepin state park and their are clouds of mayflies......

Kettle

Picked up around 20 eyes this morning, all relatively small 12-17 inches. All on the mud and on lindys and leeches. Tried different baits and different areas to try and get a bigger fish but I just ended up picking up smallmouth.

DLD24

Me and a buddy were out for 9 hours , we got 37 eyes from 14-24"...Most came pulling spinners and dragging jigs w/leeches in 22-32ft....

• Like 1

DLD24

Hit the pond yesterday, from 10-7 ended up with 32 eyes, biggest was a fat 25"er....pulling spinners was the ticket, purple blade.

Bass Thumb

Good walleye fishing in the north-end flats a few days ago when the lake was like glass. Pulling spinners at 1.3-1.5 mph, hammered-metal #3-4 blades, 22-32 FOW, crawlers during the day and leeches in the evening.

Probably 50 walleyes total, with the smallest 10" and the biggest a 9-lb 29" beauty of a fish. Most were 13-15", which would be 2012-2013 class. Handful of fish 6 lbs and up.

Most striking was the fact that NOT ONE walleye was an "eater"-class fish. Not a single fish in the 17-21" range that I ordinarily would keep on a lake that allows harvest.

tfin

went out to 30 fow on gravel yesterday and caught 7 or 8 between noon and 4:30 pm.  A few 7 inchers, 12, 14, 17.5 and a 25.5.  Probably would of hammered them on top of the gravel after that but had to work last night.  They were hitting hard on a spoon at 3:30.  No pictures as I was by myself and just wanted to get good releases on them.

STMA_I_HUNTER

Was out Saturday too on the deep gravel and the bite was way better than the previous week/weekend as one could imagine.

I hit -22F on the way up from the south and when I go to the lake it was -12F.

Hit Sloppy Joe's for a bit, lots of traffic and stayed in 30ft to keep away and found a few fish and they were actually a bit aggressive. Moved to 4 mile and found some more, again away from the communities, saw quite a few nice fish on the camera but they would not bite.

I caught all mine jigging and a buddy who stayed overnight caught all theirs on plain hook/shiner.

I saw 14"+ of ice everywhere I went.

• Like 1