• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

addictedjerry

stayed out on the ice this weekend in isle bay and near hennepin. isle bay; never got a bite fishing for crappies. on the camera, I did see 2 crappies, a very nice walleye, a huge northern and approx 1,456,234,527 dink perch.

out near the tulibee hole, saw alot of nice perch, a very nice walleye, a few tulibee and 1 sucker. threw everything I had at the perch only got 4 to take the bait. they seemed more interested in maggots than they did waxies.

To the guy that put his truck through the ice trying to cross the pressure ridge. Thanks for the chuckle. I took a picture of your truck and sent it to my wife with the caption "you're not going to be happy". she thought it was our truck, until i said, "didn't you notice, that truck has a topper"... grin

with 50's forecast for all of this week, I wonder how the ice will stand up? It was really wet coming off the lake yesterday.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stick in Mud

• rodmaker

• pushbutton

• TravP

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bite was good again this morning. Including another keeper. Set lines and jigging about 50/50 on fish. If the fish was there it was eating. 🎣🎣🎣 Tight Lines everyone!

I was on perfect rocky structure last Weds. in 19-27'. Had it all to myself. Only 1 Ice Castle within 200 yards. Fishing was decent. Caught 8 respectable walleyes, all on Slab Raps. All while hole-hop

Broke the 40 mark! 

Posted Images

Fished the pond Sat and Sun for perch with my buddy. Caught 20 keepers Sat and another 18 on Sun. all between 10"-12" with the majority 10"-10.5". Best times were 12-2 on Sat. and about 8-11 on Sun. The key was to drill a bunch of holes and stay on the agressive fish. You will know when you find them because it is a race of the bottom to smack your jig. Then hurry and get back down there. Small spoon and larvae did it for me.

has anybody been out of ceder creek public landing in the last few days?

is it still good to get on and off

binsfeldnick

well me and 2 other guys ventured out onto the slough today and ended up with a pretty nice bunch of fish. The ice was full of water and was starting to heave up in places on the west shore. Had to park the truck and walk across the heave. The other 2 guys had found the perch spot on friday but they were starting to move out today. Ended up getting about 25 jumbos and then decided to go after the crappies and sunnies on the south end. got there about 5 and started to get a few but then when it started to get dark and everyone else was leaving the crappies started to hit. We ended up with about 20 crappies and 10 sunnies. The perch were all caught on jigging spoons with red larva and the panfish were caught on little jigs with gulp maggots or red larva. Perch were in about 20-23 feet of water. Good Luck.

bassphish2005

nice job Bins.....I might be heading out to the big pond on Friday...

I tried Isle Bay yesterday. Got there about 3 and left at 6:30. Caught 6, which I released, with none of them being over 10.5". Seen about 10-12 through out the time I was there beneath my hole and also seen a largemouth bass. Action was starting to pick up until some guy came and started blaring his radio then I didn't see anything for a half hour so I left.

Diesel man kevin

Biff, there was 3 of us also out there at 2:30 til 9:30. It was slow as we only caught 3 11" crappies. Yes once the jerk turn the radio on everything seemed to scatter.

Red Miller

Bummer...ya I was out there Saturday. I was off by myself for awhile waiting them out. Then right before primetime, I got invaded. I guess they were lonely. Blowing holes, zooming snowmobilers (too bored to fish I suppose) I just packed up and left. I havent been skunked in quite awhile. Guess I was due.

leech~~

Red, wasn't sure what the guy or kid was trying to prove with that one loud Artic Cat. All he did for hours was buzz back and forth. I wounder if he knew he was not impressing all the fisherman with his cool sled!! mad

Red Miller

Anyone know what shape the ice is in on Isle Bay? Can you drive pretty much anywhere in the bay? I know I saw guys out in deeper water. What about further into the bay? Any issues in there. Thanks all

evinrude19

hey leech i was out on wahkon last saturday and was wondering if you were there cause very similar events happend there also

HunterWinfield

As of 3/22, the ice is still good to drive a 4 wheel drive on. As far as we know, there are no issues - we drove out 3.5 miles today. If it rains, that could change quickly. 4 wheelers should be good for awhile. We are putting a ramp at the end of our 200' dock for wheeler access.

A 4 wheeler fell through the public access in Isle yesterday.

The Grebe

I drove on yesterday along with alot of others. The issue is at the accesses, the ice is still plenty thick. In some places, just about up to the gear case on the StrikeMaster.

Even so, even knowing that, it's still scary. You see that dark ice with the honeycombed top and the shorts automatically start to bunch up! Yesterday was definately the end of it for me.

If we'er able to get out at all after all this warm weather and rain, it will definately be wheelers only. If I can get my wheeler onto the ice somewhere on Mille Lacs, I will be making a few more trips....I've made the last 4 by myself, bummage!

I talked to a fella from Anoka and another from Brooklyn park, when your solo-ing it, a little conversation is nice once in awhile.

P.S. Got some nice perch to!

On lake Sat. and Sunday, caught real nice perch sat. and Sun.

just nice ones. Sun. even the little ones would just stare at it, a little twitch they slid away.

I drove up to Mille Lacs sunday from the citys and got there a lil later than planned. Fished on the south end and caught alot of perch. only 5 that we kept but ALOT of little ones and alot of tullibee.

i would love to get some tullibee.Can you tell me where they have been biting?

I was out in the tullibee hole on the south side out of Lybacks. but i just checked his web page and he isnt letting anyone out there anymore:( Anyone have any more ideas where i can get on i would like to make one more trip up there tomorrow.

The Grebe

Anybody have any intel on the west side? I may have a couple of open days.

evinrude19

im going to try to get on mille lacs this weekend on wahkon anyone else going up?

The Grebe

Yup, I'm gonna try! I'm positive that if you can find some kind of connection with the ice, it's still plenty safe.

I was driving on it last Sunday and it was almost up to the gear case on my StrikeMaster. I just went out and measured it and it had to have been at least 3 feet thick.

If I can find a place to connect and get my 3 wheeler on, I might do that to? It's really light weight and with the big tires, it floats.

Now I'm getting all worked up for the possibility. I guess I'm gonna have to check the weather rport and make my plans. I really like fishing perch on Mille Lacs in the late winter and early spring.

I met and talked with a guy last Sunday and he was from Brooklyn Park....said he used to be a fireman....that wouldn't by chance be you?

St_Croix_Banks

Can you gain access to any decent areas (perch) by foot without walking 1/2 mile?

fishfearme

Im going to walking out from the north end this weekend, less than a 1/2 mile. Just need to make it to 20fow

• 2 weeks later...

saw guys walking out from the rocky reef side they were parked across form the subway didnt have time to see how they were doing but might have to check it out on sunday

Just got back from the pond. Walked out on the south side and did good on the perch. It was one after another from 9am-10am. Then slowed dramatically after that but was able to pick one off here and there. Then I had a flurry at about 2:30 to 3 and then I packed it up. I seen guys on wheelers out there running all over so the ice is fine. You would catch 4-5 perch in one hole then they would stop biting so you had to switch spoons and you would catch them again. Kind of kept you on your toes.

Some places had 1/2 inch others 2 inches. Snow was rock hard in the morning but when I was walking off it was getting slushy.

• Rick changed the title to 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Fish houses can be on the ice through March 31st.  Walleyes are open through April 14th, pike never close.  A good week of fishing despite a number of temperature changes.  A variety of walleyes, saugers, perch, pike, tullibee and eelpout being caught in 29-33 feet.  Jigging spoons with a glow stick or rattles tipped with a piece of minnow for the jigging line.  On the deadstick, a colored hook with a live fathead has been effective.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish.  When suspended fish are spotted, reel up quickly before fish swims through.  When your lure is 2 feet below the fish, reel up to the fish slowly so you don't spook the fish.  The suspended fish have been larger walleyes overall. 
      Big pike being caught on tip-ups with a quick strike rig and either live sucker or large dead baitfish in 5 - 15' of water.     
      On the Rainy River...   Morning / evening bite continues to be the best.  Remember, March 1st - April 14th, catch and release only for walleyes on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle staked and groomed.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road from south shore up to the Angle.  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air flying service.
      A good number of walleyes caught this week up at the NW Angle.  Walleyes in 24 - 31' of water.  Jigging with a lure producing noise with rattles is effective.  Tip jigging spoons with minnow head, tail or whole minnow.  Experiment until you figure out what the walleyes want.  Plain hook or a glow jig with a live minnow on deadstick.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  Ice fishing on LOW through March.  Remember, a new MN Fishing License is required March 1st. 

• Sue Baker
      By Sue Baker
      I am new to this site and was intrigued by some of the conversations.  Sounds like a good time gathering in Richmond, wish I could be there but I am in Missouri and wanting to come up for one more ice fishing trip this coming weekend. ( Mar 5-6, 2021) I fished at Cedar Lake in Faribault with my son about a 3 weeks ago and had a blast.  I can sneak away one more time this weekend but would like to know what the ice conditions look like now.  Can any of you offer me any suggestions as to the thickness and conditions?  Looking forward to one more trip to MN this season.  (We just do not have good ice in Missouri, will not even hold up a mosquito!!!!)

Thanks and enjoy your adventures.
    • smurfy
      By smurfy
      any idea when the tullibee might star biting off stony point on leech............i'd sure like to give that a go again.
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Been awhile since I posted. Hope everyone had a great season ice fishing. I have been chasing pike mainly with the Aqua Vu this year and trying different baits. Pulled out the 5 of Diamonds to end the season. Who remembers this one. Anyone use it ice fishing. Thought I Share.

• Luzaich
      By Luzaich
      It’s coming fast! I’m guessing March 26th for birchdale
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      A little long winded but I'm excited to share.
      Got out on Tonka 4 times this week. Yes, I'm retired. 😀 Bought the Milwaukee 2803-33 and put it on a 6" lazer hand auger that I've had for 20 years but have never used it since I have a gasser too. Very impressed by that set up. Also gave the LiveScope a good work out.
      Monday afternoon found the sunfish and crappie suspended over a 40-foot hole. Saw fish with the LiveScope with the first set of holes and drilled a few more to get on top of them. Kept 3 of each for fish sandwiches.
      Tuesday afternoon in the same hole but near the ridge that connects shore to an offshore reef. Mostly sunfish there but a few crappie too. All released.
      Yesterday started an hour before sunrise and fished a small 12 foot-hole that I started fishing around 1970. Caught sunfish, crappies, largemouth and lost an ~8# carp at the bottom of the hole. Had it played out and laying sideways at the bottom of my 6" hole. Trying to get it started up the hole and my 4# test line broke with a new 4 mm tungsten glow wonder bread jig in its lip. Looked at the flasher and they was another fish. Grabbed the other rod with a 1/16 oz jointed pinhead minnow on it and fired it down the hole to be immediately consumed by a 12" crappie. All fish released.
      This morning fished the small hole again at the same time. Sunfish and crappies. Largest crappie was 11 7/8. No sunfish over 7". Just drilled 3 holes in the spot with the most fish from yesterday. Two for fishing, one for the LiveScope and set the house up. It's fun seeing fish creeping in from 8 feet away and you can definitely tell the different sizes of fish on the LiveScope.
      Reminisced on some of the times I've fished this hole over the years with friends and family.

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      Son and I decided one last trip before ice melt on Rush. Lots of slush at access, probably unpassable by next weekend with 40 to 50 deg. temps next week. 25" ice with 4" packed snow on fishing area. No hot spot just area with 30 so wheel/skid shacks. Drilled a few around orange marker found nothing, flasher lit up at blue marker suspended 15 to 28 ft. 36 FOW. Bite non existing put everything down, colors, plastic, variety. Got 3 at 9 to 11 inch. Talked to several anglers, same results. Love the floor I built for the flip no water/slush everything dry. 

• gimruis
      By gimruis
      If you intend to fish past Sunday, you'll need a new 2021 angling license.

Additionally, the deadline to remove permanent/overnight fish houses is Monday in the southern half of the state.  If found unattended over night beyond the deadline, enforcement officials can confiscate the house itself.
    • 7sixes
      By 7sixes
      Hey all...I am a noob ice fisherman and want to be as safe as possible...

The lakes around my area have about 2 feet of ice and the warm weather the past few days has me nervous driving my Ford Ranger on the ice...

I am assuming that I should not be concerned yet BUT I just wanted some reassurance before I go this evening.

*There is no major flow in the lake FYI*

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is asked too much!
    • lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      Coho Salmon are unlike any fish I've ever targeted. There's not a ton of opportunities to catch these fish through the ice, so to be able to do that makes it that much cooler. Went went out on Lake Superior near Duluth, MN. This was on Sunday. Such a cool experience! 

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• ozzie
      I have kids.  I take them fishing and taught them that the point is to enjoy your surrounding and the time had rather than the meal that could be.  I rarely, maybe once every couple years do I keep a meal of sunnies, and as for crappies I will keep a meal occasionally, but when I do I do not keep anything over 12.5" and try to stay between 10-12.5"  all over and under go back to keep growing.  I certainly am glad they are regulating panfish more but I wish they would have placed a slot on bigger sunfish and crappies...something like 1 over 9" on sunfish and 1 over 13" for crappies.  Just a thought.
    • Hookmaster
      From Vados Bait's website for waxworms:   Check and remove any dead every other day at a minimum. We recommend storing your waxies at about 43-49 degrees. When fishing try to keep them about the same temp and out of the direct sun light.   For Eurolarva/spikes/maggots: Very easy to keep. Refrigerate at about 33-35 degrees. In general this might be a little cooler than most people keep their home refrigerator so you may want to use another refrigerator that you can dial down a little colder. Check the bait every two to three days, pick out and throw away any dead.
    • rschmidty
      Royal Dutchman just went live on FB like 15 minutes ago at what appears to be the Pelland or maybe it was Coot's? They were 9 miles west of IF's. Open water extends west. Not sure how far though. Looks like small boats could be pushed out.  
    • Wanderer
      Don’t let them freeze.  Easier said than done.
    • Wanderer
      Now remember, you said I could give you a hard time! 😉   So much of the pressure these days is recreational, not subsistence.  I’m gonna assume most consider their catch a bonus or treat rather than a need these days.  Most spend more money to catch their own than it would cost to buy it.  Again, most...   Done keeping at 5 doesn’t mean they have to be done catching. 🙂
    • eyeguy 54
      The group released about 150 so far 😁🐟🐟
    • ozzie
      well i finally pulled the trigger and found a strikemaster lite flight 8" and will paired it with a milwaukee fuel m18 2804.  the set up came with 2 5amp batteries so hope that gets me what i need!  going to get out tomorrow and rip this around the lake and hopefully make swiss cheese of it!
    • Fishing DA Range and nort
      so much for feeding the family, you all seem to be in the boat of just keep a few.   Well i got 6 kids who gotta eat to.   So if I'm by myself, you can bet its in the pail if I can legally keep.   Give me a hard time if you want i dont care i follow the laws/rules/slots.   After talking to a DNR fishery personnel, a 28" walleye most likely not even spawning anymore, but the 22-26 inch ones are supporting the fishery, so releasing the giants only helps 1 fish.   Much less if i have kids with, try telling a 5 or 7 year old you have to throw that back, specially sunnies.   5 sunfish is ridiculous, let the kids go on the dock of some lakes and then tell them 10 minutes later, you are done because you got 5, time to play xbox.   No wonder less people are fishing, i used to go mil lacs once a year, but cant even justify the cost of fuel if you cant keep a fish.   But keep increasing the license cost, more regulations its confusing and makes me wonder if its worth it.     
    • rundrave
      I buy the big butter dish sized containers every year full of waxies. The one I have now I bought in December and I am  still using the same waxies out of that same purchase. The only thing I can think of is the little small plastic containers are too air tight and they die?   The butter dish I have has several holes poked in the lid so maybe they can breath better in that dish and end up lasting longer? I get a few that went bad on me but for the most part the entire container is still usable. Its a much  better deal to buy in bulk and use them the entire year than buy the little containers each trip.
    • BobT
      I have very little experience using wax worms and one of the problems I have with them is keeping them alive between fishing trips. When I buy them, I usually find them in a little plastic container and the bait shop has them refrigerated. With that in mind, I tried refrigerating them at home but in a very short time I find my container full of black dead worms. I've tried just keeping them in my basement where it is cooler but not as cold as a refrigerator and maybe got another day or two out of them. Keeping them in a warm place didn't work any better either.    Is there a better way to keep them at home? Is the containers that they are in too small for any longer term storage perhaps? What bedding options are available that may help?    Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.