• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Rick

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Kiko

Schu,

When you caught the jumbos were you just off the flat or way off the flat? Minnow head or larve? Going up tonight to fish the Mud. Hoping for good things.

dilleyo

Me and a couple of buddies went up on Monday out of Agate Bay to a different buddies shack. Caught a couple of dink perch and a couple of dink eyes. Then about 11pm on Monday night we caught about a 5lb eelpout and about 8am on Tuesday morning we caught a fat 26in walleye. We missed a couple on the way up around the same time as the 26incher hit, so we didn't get a chance to see them, but they were pretty nice fish. The 26 was caught on a crappie minnow on a jig that my buddy was fishing for perch with. Driving off the ice on Tuesday was a little scary as there was a ton of water on the roads with no snow and it looked like we were driving on open water. Kinda an eerie feeling,.

schu

Kiko-

I was looking for walleyes so I was using a buckshot jig with a minnow head and I was in about 28 fow. I marked a lot of fish on the vexilar but I am sure that they were smaller perch and walleyes. The bigger marks that did come in seemed to chase and bite. I was fishing right on the edge of the flat- had 24 feet about 10ft. behind me and 30ft. right out the door of my otter.

Good luck

maros91

My buddy and I just got back from the pond. We did pretty good. 17 perch, all 10"-12.5" from about 10am to 12:30pm. After that the bite slowed considerably. Genz bug and larva was the trick for me. Pound the bottom to stir things up then shake your jig and fish on. Yummy perchies for dinner tonight.

Insp Gadget

Biff,

Nice to see your avatar again! Care to share the general conditions you were in? depth and type of area, not specific flat or bar. I'm heading up Saturday am with my porty and 4x4 and going to explore but watching the reports to narrow the choices.

Good report, thanks!

late night

I think the other picture was better.

Insp Gadget

I'm not sure about you but I wouldn't say no to either!!

(sorry honey, but she's on my list of 5)

maros91

Biff,

Care to share the general conditions you were in? depth and type of area, not specific flat or bar.

30'-32'. Sand to silt bottom. Remember to pound the jig and shake it to cause comotion. While walking on the ice you would break through the first inch and then hit all the water the rain left. Some places the water was ankle high making it hard to travel from hole to hole. Stay on the move! I would catch 2 keepers out of a hole then the dinks would move in. When they move in it is time to move!

Insp Gadget

Thanks Biff, will give a good try!

cjw

was up on thur and there was alot of spots where there was over 1 foot of water.it limited where you could go by the time i left most of it was frooze over.shouldnt have any problem going any place on the lake(hardly any snow left)

Drail1313

Just got back and caught only a couple little perch...I want to head out to the flats but the roads from Hunter's Point was closed. Headed to 3 mile area. Did catch on nice 15.5" Eye on Buckshot and small minnow before I packed it up. (Short trip), still better than being at work. was very sunny, but the clouds are coming, bite should pick-up.

lots of water spots... broke top layer and spun tires a couple times, but plenty of hard areas to set up the port.

Good luck and Stay Safe.

BSG

Fished Sunday 2/15 on the mud with a buddy. Ended up with 11 keeper perch and kept 7 tulibees for smoking. Released about 5 others. 90% of the fish came on rattlin' flyers. 2 small eyes and no pout. Everything was pretty slow till about 5pm, then the perch picked up for about 30 min. All in all, not a bad day, but it definately had some slow times.

Ice conditions were fine, everything was frozen up solid, we used wheelers and it was bumpy but no issues.

I've got an end of the day pic of all the fish, but I don't wanna break any rules.

Sonicrunch

Do any of you guys use reel weeds on Mille Lacs?

late night

Got some good jumbos Sunday. Fished 10:30 am-6 pm. Had two keepers in the bucket within the first thirty minutes then is slowed down till early afternoon. Ended up with 28 keepers for two of us with one wallleye lost at the hole along with a few jumbos.

27 feet of water, orange forage minnow tipped with larva pounding the bottom. Set-lines were useless and a camera is a big bonus.

We stayed in the house all day and never moved. Punching lots of holes probably would fill your bucket faster.

MinnetonkaMan

What resort were you out off. Any info would be appreciated.

BigWhopper

Two of us fished from noon Friday to 2PM on Sunday. We were on several different mud flats on the NW corner - mostly smaller flats to the north. We punched a lot of holes. We slept in a 8x8 portable on the top edge of a different flat each night. Totals= 4 walleye, 1 jumbo perch, and 5 eelpout. Friday night at 9PM caught a 26.5" wally on a tip up with shiner and one of the "hard to find" gold backed angel eyes. The other 3 wally's were Saturday 7:30AM-9:00AM - all 3 under 14". We used camera's and vexilars. Always a great trip for us - but unproductive for fish. We could not find perch during the day - we would swiss cheese the top edge to deep on flats and use the camera to try and spot them - but we must still be missing the knack. One pout must have been at least 6 lbs. The rest were all little snakes except maybe one 2.5 lber. I bought a new double blade strikemaster auger bottom for my old unit (always had the single chipper blade) and OMG! - was that incredible - hardly any work at all to punch holes.

DRH1175

I was out on Sunday. Fished 32 fow in close to hunters. Half way between the resort and 3 mile. Fished by myself and went home with 8 nice jumbos and a couple 15" eyes.

smmurphy

I'm heading up tomorrow and staying at the red door resort. What's the bite like on the north end?

Also fishing in the DU tournament on Sat in Garrison Bay, so any info there would be appreciated too.

Bigslugger

Hows the bite on the South End?

Chef

Do any of you guys use reel weeds on Mille Lacs?

I've tried them in the past and wouldn't bother again.

TWISTERSOCK

is the Ice still safe to drive a wheel house out?

Paul Waldowski

Yes it is. You can go just about anywhere.

HunterWinfield

Perch bite slowed some but the crappies in Isle Bay are picking up.

DRH1175

perch bite was tough for me yesterday. Ended up with 6 jumbos. But the Tulibee bite was going. Ended up with 5 really nice tulibee.

skunked_again

Just got back from the Perch extravaganza. Winning fish was 1.39 lbs. kinda small. Perch/walleye fishing was sorta slow, but the tulibees were awesome. How'd everyone else do?

poolplayin

was out from myr mar about 4.25 miles on a tiny flat. Fish were on fire! Caught 29 jumbos all over a pound, couple hit 1.5. also caught alot of walleyes keeping our 8 in the slot. few bigger, lots smaller. 27 ft water using smallest glow red buckshot, minnow head. saw some tulibees on the camera, looked like they were bouncing off the bottom, really wierd. Anyways, good luck, probably be up again monday or tuesday. suppose to be really nice.

skunked_again

Shoulda entered the perch contest. You would have won $500 plus an auger. Thanks for the report.

stretch

not saying i don't believe you but you should post some pictures of your catch.

Scupper

Seems old poolplayer does do well. I seen this post on the Annandale forum from 2/7/09. I also wish he would post some photo's... grin

Quote:
Poster: poolplayin

Subject: Re: Any reports on Clearwater?

went out last night, out from access by bjs. was accross by the island, nailed about 15-16 walleyes, most small but did keep 4 between 15-19. did catch a few crappies too, all about 10-12 inches, kept 13 of those. I was in 32 ft good luck

Stan7600

We found the perch bite slow on Sat. The one in our party with a camera did better by a huge margin. Lots of lookers. Stan C.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A very successful week for Lake of the Woods anglers.  Great walleye fishing continues with best success in 17-28 feet of water, with walleyes also being caught shallower.  A number of areas along the south shore from Pine Island, Morris Point, Zippel Bay, Long Point and Rocky Point are producing.  Knight / Bridges Island area also still holds good numbers and size of fish.  Anchored up and vertical jigging, drifting crawler harnesses and pulling crankbaits all working.  Gold / pink  / orange / glow all working well.  A nice mix of eaters, slot fish to be released between 19.5" and 28" and a good number of trophies over 28".  As last week, big pike and jumbo in the mix.  
      On the Rainy River...   Most walleyes are being targeted and caught in the lake.  There is always a population of resident walleyes that live in the river.  Best depth is 12-24'.  Jigs and minnows working the best however trolling a crankbait and covering water is also effective.  Smallmouth bass near rocky structure.   Good pike hanging in and adjacent to bays.  The sturgeon season is closed until July 1st when the season re-opens.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake and stay in MN waters.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Fishing continues to be excellent.  Walleyes being caught on 5-7' flats with snelled spinners and crankbaits as well as jigging rocky points in 10 - 20 feet of water.  Walleyes being caught in many different areas on the Minnesota side.  Pike in bays and creek mouths.  Water temps 55-57 degrees. 

• chopper72
      By chopper72
      I am going up to camp in the middle of June.  Anybody have any suggestions about baits and depths etc. for Walleyes and Bass?
    • Squirt
      By Squirt
      Going to lake vermillion for the first time. June 13. Staying near Arrow Head Point, Isle of Pines. Only have a small boat with 15 HP so looking for some tips for where to go for big pike that is reasonably close given my boat. I do not mind a drive, but I know how conditions can get on big water.  I also plan to go to Trout Lake (reason for bringing the small boat) If anyone has tips on Trout Lake for Pike.  Thanks and #tightlines!
    • Philco
      By Philco
      I just moved to Minnesota, I live in Maplewood and looking for somewhere near by to fish for catfish from the shore. Any suggestions?
    • Dave Bonjour
      By Dave Bonjour
      im, new to this sight,and my wife and i will be going to Lake Osakis for a few days in mid June to target walleye and crappie,any tips and hints will be helpful,,Thanks
    • DonkeyHodey
      By DonkeyHodey
      Don’t ya love when the weather forecasters are wrong?  S’pose to rain all weekend, but we were blessed with overcast/partly sunny weather.

Over the weekend, we fished around on 3 little lakes (all <200 acres) in Bemidji area (Clearwater county).  One lake was already up to 66 degrees in the middle! 
      Most vegetation is still low except a few lily pads were just hitting the surface at the shallows; bulrushes are still dried/brown.  With the warmer weather this week, I’ll bet the lakes will start filling out with vegetation in a matter of days and probably be growing fast.

Sunny/crappie bite was nice on Sat; dead on Sunday—had to work to find them though.  (Morning bites were poor--Afternoons much better.  Evening is always good…)
      (males were staging; females weren’t around yet)  Their location varied between hugging emergent bulrushes to being suspended at ~8 feet in ~15 feet of water.  (the suspended ones weren’t biting, though)  We were using slip bobbers with 1/32 flu flus and nightcrawlers.
      Found some nice perch hugging the bottom in 7-10 FOW jigging with 1/16 pink/white beetle-bou jigs.

Once sonny boy starting catching northerns casting a shad rap, then princess wanted to catch a nort too; so our fishing trip shifted from casting bobbers to trolling with spoons and the norts were very cooperative—getting 1-2 strikes every time down a simple shoreline of ~100 yds.  Norties were fat and healthy!
      Princess caught her PB northern!

Hoping to be back fishing around in Stearns and Morrison county (central MN) this weekend and got another getaway planned for next week.  Happy Fishing!
    • Mr. 5 pounder
      By Mr. 5 pounder
      I've been going up to the areas mentioned for 20 plus years now and ended up buying a cabin in the Bovey area. Looking to hear and share some fishing reports about the surrounding lakes. Never keep much besides some pesty northerns and panfish (which are plentiful) for the occasional lunch. So, I highly respect the area, but if you know the area at all, you will never be able to fish all its lakes in a lifetime... so some well informed fishing reports is always welcome. Again, I emphasize "smaller lakes," because the bigger ones (Jessie, Round, Wabana, etc) all have fishing reports available. Post if you're interested and lets get a good conversation going. 
    • Bonez
      By Bonez
      I tried to search and found a few old posts regarding Superior National Forest (quoted at the end of my post). I usually go grouse hunting in the Superior National Forest every fall, but I've never been up there fishing. I'm planning to head up there in ~1 month with a couple of my friends and their families and we will be bringing canoes. We're hoping to catch some walleye ideally. When I've been up in the fall hunting we usually try to camp by one the many lakes (Wilson, Whitefish, Silver Island, Bone...). The posts at the end are over a decade old already. I'm sure that some of it hasn't changed, but I was wondering if anyone has any good tips for fishing in the SNF? I perused DNR LakeFinder for the lakes in the area we usually go to that have walleyes: Timber, Finger, Sister, Dam Five, Elbow, Frear, Ninemile, T Lake, Windy, Harriet, Wilson, Toohey, Four Mile, Whitefish, Silver Island. Anyone have any general or specific tips for this area? We'd be in canoes, so don't need a lake that has a launch, and maybe that adds benefit getting to a lake that potentially has less pressure.

------------------------------------------------------------

"There are a number of areas you could get to easily with just about any vehicle. Lake Eighteen, Wilson, Silver Island, August... There are a couple that come to mind down some tougher roads, Seven Beavers and Harris. If you wanted to have a wilderness type experience without the permits and regs you could boat across Ojibway and take the roller portage into Triangle if you have a smaller boat. Birch Lake has a lot of the rustic campsites."

"Dumbbell is another option (I forgot to mention) and if you're interested in going after muskies would be a good option. Pretty cool campsite on a point."

"Wilson has some really nice walleyes, but because it's so clear, the best bite is after dark. Windy has a lot of eaters, plus plenty of northerns and the occasional whitefish. There are several sites scattered around the perimeter. An updated MacKenzie map should show the locations of most campsites on any lake you're looking to fish."

"Elbow, Timber, Frear - I would hit them for sure, close together and good walleye lakes. For bait I would use jig and minnows if your bringing minnows, and leeches on a snell, crawlers on the harness. I know lindy rigs and leeches work also, so bring them. Bone Lake - Great splake lake. Lots of good size fish. I love to fish splake, and I would bring in just these spoons. Kamloopers, in rainbow trout and perch colors, and Kastmasters in silver blue, and perch. These are what I only use for splake. They are the best period. Bring a few as there are good sized fish in there. Put them on a swivel and troll the shorelines and points for them, deadly approach. As for Cross River and Coffee Lake your typical walleye rigs will work as I mentioned above. I would bring some pike lures and try for some pike as well. Cross River has good size pike in there. I would also check with some bait shops or local people who have fished these lakes this year, just in case of a freeze out. We had alot of ice up this way. Lotta beaver ponds I trap froze to the bottom, and Cross Lake is shallow, and so is Coffee, but with the creeks and rivers running into them you should be OK. But I would check with the Beaver House or Bucks Hardware. Hate to hike in and the lake froze out."

• Vlewis128
      By Vlewis128
      Hi all. I am currently at Rush Lake near Perham at Four Seaons Resort. We’ve been here three days and have caught basically nothing. Can anyone give me some advice on walleyes here? Where to go and good baits for this lake? I’ll take any advice on any type of fish you might experience with on this lake. Never been here before.....
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Anglers had an excellent week of good fishing and fish frys.  A strong walleye bite continues with best success in 17-28 feet of water.  It is good to remember, not all walleyes do the same thing.  Some schools are deep, some shallow.  Some may be feeding on minnows, others critters in the mud.  Good reports in various areas along the south shore of the lake as well as Knight / Bridges Island area.  Anchored up and vertical jigging a jig and minnow or frozen emerald shiner has been very successful.  Gold / pink  / orange or a combo hard to beat.  Drifting with spinners and trolling crankbaits also catching fish.  A nice mix of eaters, slots and trophies.  Some big pike and jumbo perch in the mix.  
      On the Rainy River...   Anglers caught some good walleyes in the river this week.  Best depth 12-24'.  Jigs and minnows working the best.  The edge of the river channel in Four Mile Bay also giving up some walleyes.  Smallmouth bass in good numbers.  Typical spots, rocky areas, current breaks, bridge and rip rap areas.  Somie big pike still hanging out in bays.  The sturgeon season is closed until July 1st when the season re-opens.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake and stay in MN waters.  Some resorts are offering transport service across the lake in MN waters to the Angle prior to the border opening.  Some guests are setting up with transport to follow charters in their own boats.  Various south shore resorts are offering parking for guests of NW Angle resorts.
      Fishing is great.  Anglers fishing the Angle are catching good numbers of walleyes.  Jigging rocky points in 10 - 22 feet of water producing nice walleyes.  Some good fish also being caught on crankbaits in 8-12' of water.  Big pike in bays and creek mouths.  Smallmouth bass in bays and shallow rocks.  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• flx
      Any spots around Farmington to set up nice crayfish spots? Or any spots around here? 
    • Roseypike19
      Sounds great Squirt.  Good to hear you have plugs that will hit those depths, but more than likely you'll only need something in the 10-20' range...maybe even higher in the water column.  Hope you get to find out!     We also eat a few pike.  My personal slot ends at about 25-26" - everything bigger goes back - but the new NE MN limits allow harvest up to 30".  Northern nuggets are tasty, and I've never had anyone who could tell me the difference when presented side by side with walleye.  
    • Squirt
      RoseyPike 19 and all, Thank you for the tips. Very good instructions and specifics that I can see on the map. I will give these a try. For big pike I am looking for 40 inch plus.... I also like fishing the shallows as you say for the 20 - 30 as I like to eat pike. I think the fillets are the best minnesota offers. For the deep fish I have the tackle and divers to get down 30 - 40 so I will try that. You also gave me specifics around where I am staying, so I will report back on how I do.   Thanks all!
    • JBMasterAngler
      Launched out of Copas today. Got beat up by the wind pretty good. Caught an 18.5 inch largemouth, and a 17 inch walleye. Then it was a looooooong time in between fish. My son found a brief bit of success when he started jigging a small paddle tail and caught his very first sheephead. Then I had him jig one of those gulp minnow things, and he caught a 15 inch smallie. But that’s where it all ended. After we loaded everything up I threw him in the river 😂  
    • Rivergroup
      I'm in a group of 5 that heads to Vermilion once a year.  We'll be on the West end starting 6/13.  We're open to traveling but will be looking for walleye primarily.  I'll keep an eye on the message board, but any input for success would be appreciated.  In the past, we've had luck with crawlers and leeches, but not much with minnows.  We've had the most luck with lindy rigs and slip bobbers.  We'd like to get ahold of some crappies too if anyone has any pointers.  We're used to Mississippi River fishing so we're kind of at a disadvantage when it comes to Vermilion.  Thank you in advance!
    • smurfy
      well...........i'll be up for round #2 wed morning!!!!!!!! look out fish. last time was mainly work. did get a bit of fishing in but i was limited.
    • Roseypike19
      Hi Squirt,    The previous tips are all good regarding pike on Vermilion.  Find some shallow reeds/weeds and you will find some nice sized pike (Average = 20-30" with a bigger fish at times).    What is your definition of a "big" pike? The shallow program is fun and that's how I do most of my pike fishing, but overall that is not how you will find the biggest pike on Vermilion.  I'm talking East Vermilion as that's the basin I fish.  By now many of the biggest pike are suspended and feeding on ciscoes in deep water.  They will make occasional forays into the shallows to follow food (think windy days), but they spend much of their time suspended over the depths.     Several really good areas very near you have this potential: 1. The narrows between Moccasin Point and Pine Island.  You can't miss this area on a map.  There is BIG pike potential here.  2. The deep water break on the east side of Isle of Pines.  I have literally seen giant pike chasing ciscoes out of the water here (also a fantastic muskie spot).     Those two areas are a literal stones throw from your place.     How do you fish the deep water?  IDK!  Like I said, I'm a shallow pike program guy.  The few times I've done the deep suspended thing we found the bait and big hooks on sonar and then jigged 1 oz hair jigs and/or 1 oz lead heads with a white fluke.  It worked, but it was technical and tough.  If I ever do it again (maybe later this summer), I'll troll big plugs at the depth just above the fish.     Last week we had a lot of fun catching many nice pike in the shallow weeds, but our two biggest fish (including a 40"er), came on a very windy, cloudy day while fishing shallow rocky points adjacent to deep water.   Coincidence?  I think not.  So definitely take advantage of those windy, cloudy days if you expect to find a giant.  In my experience, those conditions provide your best shot a true trophy pike from shallow water.  (Of course there are some exceptions and any cast on Vermilion could land a big pike!)   Otherwise, ply the suspended depths and report back what you find.    Good luck.    
    • Roseypike19
      Hope I'm not too late on this report.  We were up last week (23rd-30th), and overall we had fantastic smallie fishing.  We had to adjust a bit as they were definitely more in spawn mode than most Memorial day weeks, but that just meant moving from points and secondary points towards the spawning bays and banks.  I really enjoy pre-spawn smallie fishing because they are often schooled up on the points leading into spawning areas, they are fat as heck, and they are very active - and while we had some action in this regard - we had more overall action on the banks and in the bays and saw a lot of spawned out females compared to previous years.  So I'd say about a 1/3 of our fish were pre-spawn, a 1/3 were spawn (males on beds), and a 1/3 were post spawn.  T'was all fun.     The whole month of June = awesome shallow smallie fishing, so whoever is up, good luck!  
    • Raven77
      I have one that I would sell you.  I'm on Richie Bay.
    • gimruis
      This is how my boat is.  The bow eye fits snuck right up the roller with the latch below.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.