• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Rick

Battled some crazy wind and waves yesterday.

We were on 3 mile reef and caught 4 keepers and 4 slot fish anywhere from 16 to 28 feet.

Got tired of the waves so we went in and fished by Hunters point. We picked up another 2 keepers and a few more slot fish. The best action there was around 13 to 15 FOW.

So not the greatest showing for 12 hours on the water but still we were pretty happy with the results.

Rigging leeches-

I just read a report from someone saying they were hitting hard on worms - we should have tried them but were encouraged with the leech bite. We went through a half pound of them - loosing them on rocks and fish that were smarter than us. Most of the bites were light with only a few obvious hard hitters. Oh well...

Going to get back up there towards the end of the week. Sounds like there is a good cork bite towards the evening 6:30 - 10:00 on the reefs

I was was up Last Thursday and just parked on Hawkbill in about 8 ft of water. My dad caught 2 14.5 inch keepers, didn't see to much action from other boats.

Friday We didn't get out until around 10:30 am and Picked up on 14.5 inch also in 8ft trolling with leaches. Then moved and corked it in 11 ft just off of a hump and caught a 15" keeper at about noon. Moved out to a break from 20 to 24 ft and trolled some leaches with a red hook at caught a 16 and a 17" at about 4pm. Then at night we tried Hawkbill one last time and got another 14" and a 18" smallmouth. At least everything we caught was keepable, but I would have like to tie in to some bigger fish.

Fished the south and east side Sunday, ended up boating six eyes with a 26.5 being the biggest. Only one under the 18" mark, fished mostly gravel and rocks. Water temp was showing 53-54 all day. Made a run out to sloppies to see if anything was going, marked a few but no takers. All caught fish came from 15-18 fow. Rigged leeches all day and hook color didn't seem to matter. Lots of scattered fish being marked, Seemed that most spots that we hit held a few fish and mobility was the key for us. We would knab 2 fish right away and then nothing until we would move again. Great day to be on the water and the guy I brought up caught his first ever eye so that's always a plus. Although he's still a little irked that I didn't snap a photo for him. Sometimes they just need to be put back in the water, I did take a pic of his second one to satisfy that dilema though. Seen the first hatch of bugs floating, not really sure what they are but there were alot of them floating from the hatch. This was the second trip up and both times I've noticed alot less baitfish, haven't figured that one out yet as previous years I would be marking large pods all over and see fish hanging around them, this year though it seems as if the fish are just scattered about and the pods of baitfish seem to be nowhere around.

Hit the Pond this am. launched at Agate around 7:45. Started in front of Fischer's, caught one 13 1/2 with in ten minutes.

Then there were about a dozen boats near Malmo public access. We fished there and drifted to Fischer's. Lost one right by the boat est around a 25 - 27", then a 16 1/2". Marked fish but with the wind it was tough. Missed three other ones as well. Dept. 20-22ft.

We left around 11:30. It's been awhile since I've been there when it's been that rough.

Hopefully next weekend will be better weather.

Fished "the big pond" both Saturday and Sunday mornings before getting blown off by 25 to 35 mph NW on Saturday and 20 to 30 mph S-SE on Sunday. Boated several "keepers" 14 to 17 inches and a few 21 to 25 inchers. Fish are scattered all over the place. We charted fish on rock, gravel and soft bottom close by, in 13 to 27 feet of water. Best bite was on rock-soft bottom transitions in 20 to 25 feet of water, not too far off shore (shoreline connected reefs and points). Fish were a bit slow, but if you sat on them you could trigger them. Rigs with 7 to 8 foot leads with leeches worked the best. Hang in there--the jet stream is going to move north of us and stay there some day soon and we will be able to get some stable weather with winds less than 20 mph. Until then, fish slow, fish smart, and fish safe!

Where about on the lake I am going out of NE in a week where would you recomend trying?

thanks

Alot is going to depend on the wind. If temps keep on the warmer side, the "mud" may start to turn on soon. Keep on watching for reports here. I'm planning on going up there Sat. (weather/winds permitting). I'm going to start on the deeper water we fished Sat. Fischer's/malmo. If nothing, the it's off to the Mud.

The key here is to cover water until the "transation" period is over.

Maybe time to get out the spinners if temps warm up.

You could fish there also just off the reef in the deeper water. I launch at Agate. White 1895 YarCraft Storm with 135 Opti max tiller.

Leeches 7-8 ft snells plain red hook. Nothing on colored hooks and a single bead on Sat.

Is that what the winds were sat 25-35???

I knew it was more than the 18mph they were predicting.

Went out of Cove last friday fishing was spotty. Landed seven fish, 5 between 24"-25". One keeper and one 9". Best luck was 19 to 23 fow. Tried sloppies for a little while, really slow. Went back to the rocks and hit some more fish. Couple here, couple there. Had to keep moving. Hopefully this transition will be over soon.

I see the extended forecast has temps right around 70. I plan on going up Sat. Going to start infront of Malmo/Fischer's again unless I hear they have moved.

May give the mud a try also.

I was there Saturday,funny thing was nobody was fishing any of the flats on the north side. The wind was blowing hard, but you just make out guys out a lot farther for the binos high up from shore. I find rather strange guys run out to fish in 3+ ft waves and not in the 1-2ft waves. I was up near Garrison, looked like a few ran out to curlys, and banana.

I am thinking about going out this afternoon and trying the evening bite. Might try out in front of Barnacle's out on the bumps, or even out to East flat.

No problem. I'm just getting the itch to get out on the mud so bad that I hope it's not for nothing if I head out there.

jay83196,

Agate Reef near the NE corner has been producing fish. Work the transition from the rock to the softer bottom surrounding it with lindy rigs and leeches. Flamingo Reef has been a decent spot for catching fish on leeches under slip bobbers in the evening up until you have to leave the lake (remember the night ban is still on). Look for areas from eight to fifteen feet deep that are near points or inside turns in the reef and fish these rocky areas with a slip-bobber and leech combo. Good luck!

Troy,

Thanks a ton anywhere more north (around fishers) will be heading out of there in a week? Think flats will be on by then? Has there been any hatches?

Thanks a ton!!

I fished saturday caught 3 smallies the biggest was over 19" the others were 15 & 14" long. Tried walleyes but nothing to the boat. Did find some perch, but not the jumbos. I was looking more for the smallies.

The North End sand is pretty much dead. (Carlsona, Barnacle Bills).

Hard to say where they will be in a week. They could be around Fischer's and Agate. First try 15-18 ft. If nothing, move deeper . If still nothing start moving to the Mud. With temps being in the low 70's they could still be in close. Another area to try is the deeper water in front of lakeside. grin

It would just be nice to get up there and have the wind be about 10mph for a change. I've been up there 4 times, and it's been very rough 3 of the 4 times up there.

Thanks much appreciated, doesnt seem like a lot of structure around there if your off the mud or the reefs more south (agate etc) so do you just look for depths and a few humps out from fishers /wilderness?

There is a rock to sand transition area out there.

Last Sat., all our fish came in 18-21 ft. 1 on the rocks, the others, Sand. All on leeches.

I've heard a few guys are catching a few on the Gravel on the South End. But still alot of mixed reports .Things should get going in the next couple of weeks.

Went out of Red Door yesterday afternoon and went straight out to the east flat. Immediately hooked up with a 21" and not five minutes later had a really nice fish get off at the boat. Fished 2 more hours without a bite, but marked A LOT of fish of the edges in about 26'. Started to see a lot of baitfish clouds down there as well. Moved into the bumps around evening and caught 2 10" fish and nothing more. No wind at all, just beautiful out there, even with the lack of fish.

Yeah, I went out of Cove last week and the bugs were so thick in some areas you didn't dare open your mouth. the entire inside of the boat looked like it was alive with the darn things.

I was also out on the pond last night out of garrison, got attacked by the flies right away then didn't run into any the rest of the night thank god. Nice night but not so good fishing caught a few jumbos and 3 10" eyes all on leaches,fishing 17-23 fow.

• The title was changed to 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports