• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Rick

fuzz nice video and thanks for sharing. Your net is a piece of junk. Get a rubber net so you don't cut the gills on all the slot fish. Takes a lot less time to get them out of the net also.

fuzz nice video and thanks for sharing. Your net is a piece of junk. Get a rubber net so you don't cut the gills on all the slot fish. Takes a lot less time to get them out of the net also.

Thanks for the tip tonkapat. Those threaded nets are really a pain when trolling crankbaits too. They really are treble hook magnets.

Nice report guys.

My wife and myself ran up to Mille Lacs yesterday for a catch and release trip.

No pics of the wife with any of those 'eyes, eh? Does she just come along and read magazines like my wife, or does she actually fish?

Nice fish trav

We fished the south end with nit as good success

Caught 2 24"ers --my seven year old biggest so that was good

Nice report guys.

No pics of the wife with any of those 'eyes, eh? Does she just come along and read magazines like my wife, or does she actually fish?

No reading yesterday, she did have a book with though. Her biggest was 22 or so, she didn't want pics of that.

After some success last Friday decided to invite my old man and little bro for his 60th birthday up from Sioux City for some good fishing on the pond. After starting Friday night a little slow with a couple throw backs on the gravel and nothing on a mid lake reef we moved in to some shore line rock structure and picked up four keepers and three throw backs night bobbing. We pulled off at midnight and got back on the water Saturday about 11am taking our time after the late night. Fished until 7pm and did very well pulling spinners, jigging, and rigging. Spinners were the best, but we caught fish no matter the method on some 27-32 ft transitions areas. Picked up our two day limit of 15-17 1/2 fish (meaning including 4 from Friday which I know daily is same as possesion :)) and threw back some pigs. Biggest was 28.5 followed by 27.5, 26 and various 18-25 inch fish. Had an awesome time and the pond can be quite the fishery! Good luck, that was my last walter trip for a while.

My son and I hit the lake again on friday. He had a very good day showing up the old man catching a 28, two 26, a 24 and several other low 20's. I did make a good come back, but couldn't quite catch him. We both brought a limit of keepers home too. Took all day to find those smaller ones. We had our best luck on the east side reefs. We saw the Hunters launch and smelled the grill too. That's just plain a cruel thing to do to us starving fishermen.

After not fishing on Mille Lacs for 4 years, because I now have a "place" on a lake, I finally was back out there on Saturday with my son as my guide. And I would say we had a very good day out on the lake. I would not say that we pounded them, but we had a good day. The biggest was 27 3/4", which my son caught, and we even caught some small ones that we put back, so hopefully this means the future of the lake looks good. I have been sworn to never reveal his "secret" spots, I was actually happy he did not make me wear a blindfold, but, I can tell you we did avoid the crowds. Neither of us are big fans of playing bumper boats. All in all it was a good day on the lake, and why he will brag that he caught the biggest, and the most fish, I think it has alot to do with his coach. DAD!

they must have been going in the morning

i was there sat(not on 4 mile whereever that is)

didnt get on the water till bout noon..lol

caught a few on shermans did find that switching to crawlers seem to add to the action...i was rigging though decided to switch to spinners

rigged on up and got it caught in the motor before i even started fishing...it was 4 so time to head home for happy hr....lol

stil fun to be on the mighty mille lacs

they must have been going in the morning

i was there sat(not on 4 mile whereever that is)

didnt get on the water till bout noon..lol

caught a few on shermans did find that switching to crawlers seem to add to the action...i was rigging though decided to switch to spinners

rigged on up and got it caught in the motor before i even started fishing...it was 4 so time to head home for happy hr....lol

stil fun to be on the mighty mille lacs

That is awesome. It seems to be my run of luck lately too. "you shoulda been here yesterday" LOL.

Don't get a rubber net get a threaded net that is rubberized. They are the best of both worlds. less hook issues easier on the fish and wont fall apart in 2 years.

Got out this past weekend and had pretty good luck. Caught 14 fish between 2 of us. 7 keepers, so we had some fish to take home. Caught all but 1 on a reef in about 10 feet under corks using leeches.. We watched a launch from Hunter's catch about 20 fish in about an hour or so. They were slaying 'em.

Fished the big lake last Thursday-Sunday with my dad. The fish were going crazy. We caught so many we lost count. Most of the fish we found on the deep edge of structure and off a ways. We did not pull out the leadcore setups this weekend, but I am sure a guy could do really well pulling lead.

We fished gravel and mud with lindys and leeches, hook color did not seem to make much of a difference and our leaders were 6'-7'. We only kept 9 keepers the whole weekend. We found that the 18" and under fish seemed to be more directly relating to structure, where the big ones over 20" were on the deep edges and out aways from the structure. We spent the majority of the time chasing the bigger fish in depths up to 32'-34'.

Here is the big fish for the weekend. 27" caught tight to the bottom side of a mudflat on the downwind end.

full-22671-9983-27walleye.jpg

Don't get a rubber net get a threaded net that is rubberized. They are the best of both worlds. less hook issues easier on the fish and wont fall apart in 2 years.

Disagree! I've used both and the "threaded rubberized" nets provide much of the same hassle as the plain threaded ones. I would get the thick rubber nets. We've used our every weekend for at least 7+ years and that is the only net I would ever buy!

Was out tonight, caught three bobbering a mud/rock transition in 27' feet. The boat next to us, which unfortunately was driven by my dad, caught nine, with three keepers. All of ours were too big. Bummer to get outfished by the old man! smile

Carmike

Productive morning for me on mille lacs today. Limited out in just over an hour. Caught 2 throw back 19 inchers but the rest were 15 to 17 inchers.

Rigging leeches worked for me but I saw others pulling sinners with crawlers and they were catching fish too.

27 to 28 feet. Deeper than that and the fish were too big.

... Deeper than that and the fish were too big.

No such thing as "too big" wink I get it, but that's what I go for. lol. I'll stay "deep" and out of your way.

No such thing as "too big" wink I get it, but that's what I go for. lol. I'll stay "deep" and out of your way.

I hear ya, but id like to have something to show for my efforts in the end. I've caught enough of the 24 and up fish this year. Fun to catch but I have 3 boys that want some fish to eat.

Had great fishing last night! Started out dragging rigs on and off a rock hump and had constant fish. Once we found our ideal depth we anchored on a bottom transition. The bite was consistant from 8-10. After that we made a quick run to deeper water and withing 5 minutes bobber down. I had my ultra lite rod with 4 pound line on. After 20 minutes of playing the fish out it happened to be a 31 inch mille lacs walleye. Due to the strain of the battle she was cought and released asap. Great night on the lake.

Spent a fair amount of time on the water this weekend.

At sunrise/sunset and dark hours, 10-16fow on gravel/rocks produced fish pulling cranks.

Daytime bite was present in 18-26 fow on gravel/rock piles.

Found fish deeper as well.

Seemed that no matter where i went, fish were producing, just not jumping in the boat.

Shermans was going this weekend also. Midget, 4 Mile gravel, Sloppys, Kings, Doe Island, Spider Island..just a few spots.

Just about got ran over twice out there this weekend. People need to see what's it front of them!!

Just about got ran over twice out there this weekend. People need to see what's it front of them!!

its amazing that with well over 100,000 acres that some morons have to motor to within reach of you out there. Whatever happened to courtesy? Full throttle through the middle of a bunch of boats too. Idiots.

I had an ok day yesterday. Definitely slowed down from Friday but I still caught fish in all places I tried. I pulled spinners with crawlers for a while and nothing doing. Didn't mark nearly as many fish on my goto spots. I had to hunt for them more.

Thanks to our legislators for the shutdown cuz there was no toilet at the landing and people were using every tree they could find. Disgusting. Tp everywhere. That's real nice.

That's nasty, but Govenor Dayton shut down the government, not your legislators.

Their all to blame, rep. and dems. whats happening in our state is basically just a smaller version of nationwide political scene, the system isn't working and hasnt for sometime, and as usual we all get caught in the middle.

All about political gain and greed, just like the current nfl issue the entire system and world priorities are so messed up, when is enough money enough!

Fishing was solid on the lake for us Sunday. Got to Shermans point around 5:30am and had 6 in the box by 8am. We were pulling lindy's with a leech in 14 to 16fow. Headed out to 7 Mile looking for some bigger fish and found them. Same concept lindy with a leech and most of our fish came on the edges in 24-31fow. Took a break from the sun, ate some lunch, and headed back out to the south tip of Shermans flat. Fish were pretty active and we ended the evening there with numerous over the slot fish. Looked like everyone we saw enjoyed catching fish and it sure made for a pleasant evening. Although there were alot of boats most played nice. We met some really nice folks bobber fishing that night while watching the fireworks. Also got to see lots of parents out with their children. Great job!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Thanks for the report Doug. Sounds like a great day on the water!

Nice report Doug. Getting into a hot bite on Mille Lacs is about as fun as it gets! I will be hitting the big pond one of these next weekends I am free. I especially can't wait for that late fall bite pullin plugs up shallow. October 11th has been marked on my calendar for a few months now!!!

Doug, Lets hit a metro lake one of these days after work like we talked about. wink

was up all week never stepped foot into the boat until about 6pm due to the heat. Fished the same spot everyday. Cpl nights we would get all big ones w a few keepers scattered in. Then thurs night we got all keepers w only 1 or 2 big ones. Biggest fish was a 28 right on the nuts (released) a 27.75 and a few 26-27 inchers. Great week to take vacation smile

Was up there last weekend on and had a blast. Stayed at the cabin of a friend who's also serious about fishing. Did some lindy rigging during the day, leech on a red hook with a red bead, no spinner. Caught some nice keepers on the rocks near shore, I think about 20 fow. I think my bait literally fell into a fish's mouth when I first dropped in because he was on before the drift could even taught my line. Moved out onto the western flats later that night. We were posted up on the edge of the flat in 24 FOW right at sunset. We were pretty close to Eddy's launch. They were on the tip of the flat about 300 yds from us. Bobbers sank at a rate of about one per 30 min for about 5 hrs in our boat. Most fish were in the range of 21-24" and had to go back, but a few keepers came around. Nothing bigger than 25. Heard some big ones coming in to the Eddy's launch. It wasn't my boat, but if it was, I would postup right where they were. They were on the tip of the flat on the side where the wind was blowing the baitfish all day. Also caught some nice perch during the day. Put some fillets in the freezer to bring home to ma and pa. Can't wait for this summer semester to be over, so I can get more serious about angling again. Tough to study chemistry when you're having fishing withdrawals!

• The title was changed to 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports