• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Rick

Thanks,that i will. i had no idea they live in cold temp. that explains why there arent any in the cities. dang, 110miles can make that much of a different

A few lakes in the metro have tullies. I know they planted them in Elmo for the muskies to eat. But, yes basically Mille Lacs is the south end of the range for tullies and pout.

Hit the big pond today for my last trip of the season.

Took the wheeler.

Used the Liberty Beach access.

The have a bridge off the shore so getting on good ice was no problem.

Actually watched a guy with bigger nards than I have drive his truck out.

Only saw a couple others all day.

It was a relatively tough bite.

Brought home 8 and had numerous other 7 to 8 inchers and tullies to keep me busy.

Ice fishing in 60 degree weather is priceless.

I am not sure how much longer the shoreline will hold up with the warm temps and rain that is predicted.

Just looked at a web cam of Mille Lacs from MN Lake Cams and the ice is just starting to break a little around the edge. There's a couple bigger chunks that are floating but its starting. How long does it take and is it windy enough up there to start really breaking it today?

• 4 weeks later...

Hows the weather on the north end? Would we be stupid to bring a pontoon over? Were just sitting and talking about coming over but can't find any reports

From Myr Mar east, the north end is fine. NE wind is high. The further east you go, the smoother the water.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Went out on sunday with my dad and his friend. We caught 11 walleyes and got to bring home one. It was awesome out on the lake fish were bitting cant say anything bad when you are catching 19-25 inch walleyes. The one that made it the box was a 15 incher. I hooked into a northern or muskie that took a good 50 yard run then got off.

28 inch walleye released

cd0e1a53.jpg

6 slot fish for the box

Released a 24, 22, 19 and another 19...

Great night tonight (Monday)

We found plenty of both last weekend. Seems like there are more eaters mixed in with the hogs this year.

Juan and myself got on the fish pretty good at Mille Lacs yesterday. A 7ft snell with a leech working the 20ft range on the sand was the ticket. Towards evening we anchored up on top of a small rock pile in 10ft of water. 1/16th oz jigs tipped with a leech under a cork worked great. Water temps made it to 53 degrees so it's warmed a bit since opener. We boated over 35 eyes with our 8 box fish. I got 2 over 27 and we caught quite a few of those mid 20's fish. It was a lot of fun and I can't wait until next time!

e.jpg

100_0066-1.jpg

d.jpg

a-1.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

100_0065-1.jpg

I have been fishing most nights since opener and location must have a lot to do with slot fish. I work at a resort on the east side and have heard two things, "no slot fish but fishing was good" and, "all slot fish fishing was great". We had a charter tonight and caught 30 fish for 10 guys, and 21 were keeper's. So if it is slot fish you are looking for and your only getting the the big ones, I guess it's time to move, but really I wish I had that problem smile

Go get um !

Great report Trav! nice pics. I'm working out of state and my boat is still in storage. Reports like yours are great to see. can't wait to get back on the water!

Good mix up on the northeast side today. Fished 8am to 1pm and boated 6 fish:18.5, 23, 16, 15,15,14.5 in that order, also missed a few. Picked up 1 21" on a mudflat later in the afternoon. Nothing like fishing in wind, rain and sleet.

The fish are still going on Mille Lacs. My dad and I went up today and once we found the fish it was game on. water temps were still only 53 degrees. 16-18ft, sand, 7ft snells with jumbos drifted or trolled in the .6-.8 mph range worked great. 8 box fish with plenty released, including another over 27". Good luck guys!

100_0071.jpg

The problem is finding them with electronics. Second time this year I have caught more fish then I have marked all day. I caught 6 once and 10 the other time while not marking more then 3. Its hard to fish spots when your seeing nothing on the screen.

Went out for a few hours on Sunday. Fished from 9:30-11:30 would have stayed out longer had a few issues with my boat. Fished up by malmo. Caught 5 fish. 3 were throwbacks and the other two were good eaters. Red hook 6 foot lindys tipped with a leech. Maybe next weekend I won't have issues and can put in more than two hours.

your not going to see alot in that shallow water unless you have

an extremely wide angle transducer

i fished yesterday didnt see a fish i caught

the more important thing is to pay attenation where you are when you catch

the fish

if theres one there theres a hunderd

i never caught a fish deeper than 13ft yesterday

it was slow the other reason its probably hard to see them is they are hugging the bottom in that shallow water

we caught all we could take but it took from

bout 130 to 730 and only 2 over 18

flat though

i think i'm going to go back if we get some wind and it keeps warming up should be a good bite for a day or 2 til they start heading out

We had a great afternoon yesterday. A little breezy out there but the fish were active. Needed a couple of socks out to slow us down. Fished from 4-7 pm before we had to pick up the kids at the babysitter. Caught about 10 and half were keepers kept a few for my in laws to have a fish fry. Check out our F-Book page for pics and videos. We launched out of Fisher's. They have an awesome harbor, highly recommended. Drove up to the sand, started fishing and never had to move. We made multiple drifts and caught fish each time. 8-10 foot leaders, med/large leeches, colored hooks, 15-20 feet.

Jason Erlandson

Had the day off, so I decided to make a run to Mille lacs. Was going to head to the north end but I was getting antsy driving by all that water to get there. Decided to put in at Liberty. Turned out to be a good choice. Caught a limit of keepers fairly quickly but, didn't want to quit fishing so left myself one short. Was making my last drift before heading home and hooked into what I hoped would be my last fish for the box. It suddenly got much more difficult to real in and I'm thinking it must be one heck of a walter. I finally get it into view and find a musky with my walleye in it's mouth. He didn't want to let go and after making several runs and moving completely around the boat I managed to get him partly into the net. That's as far as I got him as my net is great for walleye, but woefully inadequate for a musky that was at least 45inches. Ended up with my last keeper ( luckily was a 16 incher because it wasn't swimming away after that battle) and decided I couldn't top that so I headed home. Good times were had by all.

By the way, I found most of the fish in 22 to 24 ft. Only caught a couple shallower.

Still Hot Bite did good Last hight 10-12 ft Waz best 7-9 PM BIG POINT pink and black hook

We were up yesterday all day and found a decent bite. The sand sure is dying down, except in a few select areas. We corked Agate last night and it was pretty slow. There was a pretty good hatch of midges going on as well.

Fished Saturday from 6 to 2. Started on the ne sand. Had 4 bites and boated 3 fish on the first drift. The wind went down some and so did the fishing. Caught a few more over the next couple hours there. Went to Agate Reef next and watched four fish netted right away and then nothing for the next hour. Last stop was the rock to sand/gravel transition in front of Hunters. When we got the there the lake was almost flat. Flat seas and flies buzzing our heads...no fun. Wind picked up around 1:30 and then we caught a few more walleyes. Boated 16 fish and kept 6.

Had the day off, so I decided to make a run to Mille lacs. Was going to head to the north end but I was getting antsy driving by all that water to get there. Decided to put in at Liberty. Turned out to be a good choice. Caught a limit of keepers fairly quickly but, didn't want to quit fishing so left myself one short. Was making my last drift before heading home and hooked into what I hoped would be my last fish for the box. It suddenly got much more difficult to real in and I'm thinking it must be one heck of a walter. I finally get it into view and find a musky with my walleye in it's mouth. He didn't want to let go and after making several runs and moving completely around the boat I managed to get him partly into the net. That's as far as I got him as my net is great for walleye, but woefully inadequate for a musky that was at least 45inches. Ended up with my last keeper ( luckily was a 16 incher because it wasn't swimming away after that battle) and decided I couldn't top that so I headed

home. Good times were had by all.

By the way, I found most of the fish in 22 to 24 ft. Only caught a couple shallower.

Wait a minute!!!! All the musky fishermen insist muskies don't eat walleye..... U must have been seeing things wink

• The title was changed to 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports