• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

Rick

Gold/red got my jig fish this weekend. Also glow green plain hook caught dead stick fish. It out fished a plain red hook 4-1 which is crazy. Plain red is usually my go to hook.

Went out last weekend to a hot tip for tulipees. Only ended up getting 2 but we didnt get out right away in the morning and we moved to a shallower walleye spot around 2pm.

Got up to mille lacs today, real slow. Caught a few small fish towards dark nothing all day. Upon unloading the truck we realized the eskimo quickflip three was gone. Along with my clam case and three rods and shimano reels. That sucks. Went out of east myr mar.

Searching-

There is a report of a found fish house on another fishing forum on 169 by Mille Lacs. Probably get hasseled for posting a direct link but its initials are LSF. Good luck and I hope its yours. Check your PM's for the link.

Dan

Yes. I found the post and emailed the guy. Really great that hes not keeping it I had cool stuff in there. Tough to go up north tonight without. Thanks for helping out

Anyways we checked east garrisons reef during the day with no luck then moved over to some deeper structure east of there, close to something called hourglass and had some perchy marks but nothing would bite. Moved to where I've caught fish before on myr mar and drilled holes from 28 to 12 ft hoping to follow them in as the evening progressed. Never marked them when we were sitting in 26 ft but they must have moved in quickly because my tip up was missing a sucker and my buddy's tip up had a 24 or 25" walleye on it that took out all his line. Set up there with no luck.

Hello,

Was going to make a day run up to the lake and wanted to know if anyone has roads to the blue jug area on the north end..Called one of the North end resorts and they do not have a road out there..Anyone else know who may be running some out that way? any help would be great. Thanks!

Hello,

Was going to make a day run up to the lake and wanted to know if anyone has roads to the blue jug area on the north end..Called one of the North end resorts and they do not have a road out there..Anyone else know who may be running some out that way? any help would be great. Thanks!

Try calling Nitti's Hunter's point. I was near their road last weekend on fisher's and it looked like it continued North towards blue jug.

Fished the mud out of Hunters Point today. 28 ft on an edge. The eyes stayed active until around 11am then picked up at 4pm again. All of the fish I got today were 12-15 inchers. 19 eyes this afternoon. They are aggressive on a spoon bite. Silver spoon early then glow macho char/creme, pink perch UV buck shot, and rainbow forage buckshot glow at dusk is what worked for me. They wanted a chase up a few feet, stationary level jigging didn't work.

Fish were pretty active today. Friend of mine who's stronger, smarter, and less lazy than I am headed out to the flats to drill holes and catch fish. He picked up 13. Most were small, but a few were big enough to brag about on an online forum if you cared about that sort of thing.

I hadn't been out to the house in a few weeks. Quite a few houses had moved out near me, so I packed up and headed back in shallow. Apparently all the walleyes move deep as the winter progresses, but fortunately walleyes don't read message boards.

I got the house moved and set down by about 4:00. Stick the Elder showed up a bit later, wondering why we were in 8 feet. Fished until 6:00 before giving up, the Elder going in to the bar and the Younger settling into a good book. Total catch was five walleyes and a 39'' northern, all on spoons and minnow carcasses. One keeper, which was released. Two big ones. Two small ones. Marked six fish and caught them all.

If there's one thing we've found that helps the fish bite, it's setting the fishhouse on its side. Minimizes the light going down the holes, and prevents the rods being pulled down the hole if a large northern happens to grab your lure.

full-18483-52253-pikey.jpg

Insane bite last night and into today. I've fished this lake for hundreds if not thousands of hours, and legit 28'' fish are hard to come by. I can count the ones I've caught on two hands. Early this morning and this afternoon, we got two. Toss on top of those the big pike I posted earlier, four 19+ inch keepers, and a handful of little ones, and it was a fun 24 hours.

Sure is fun watching all those trucks drive by driving out to the flats. smile

Should be said that tonight's bite was crappy. Four dinks, nothing else. I sure hope the guys fishing deeper did better than we did.

full-18483-52264-281.jpg

full-18483-52265-292.jpg

We were up Saturday and I spent most of the day hole hopping. I got 7 perch up to 12 3/4 inches and missed quite afew. My partner sat in the portable for the day and he wound up with 7-8 walleyes up to about 17 inches. He was getting the walleyes on a pretty good sized jigging spoon and a minnow head, the perch came on standard perch fare. We fished in 32 feet of water and it was an enjoyable fishing trip.

We were happy that we didn't let the bad weather stop us, (We missed the icy roads by about an hour) and it felt really good to be back on Mille Lacs ice fishing again. To us, Mille Lacs lake is a very special place.

a fish out of that lake seems to mean more then one from any other lake we fish.

Grebe,My first walter ever at 3yo came from millelacs........its special to me too!I remember thompsons point resort as a youngster catching frogs digging worms all that stuff!!Fishing is what you make of it.To me anywhere on the water is special but for some reason Mille lacs means more!Fish on garth!don't fall in!!!!!!!c63

Fished Saturday and Sunday, 39 walleyes for three guys with one keeper. Lots of action. Most were between 10 and 14 inches, couple around 16-17. Friends houses caught a few bigger fish, 22.5, 27, 25. Our biggest was 19.

My first ice fishing trip ever was to Mille Lacs. I was probably 13 years old and my friends dad took us up there in his 1954 Oldsmobile. We drove out to this old 4 holed fish house and set up shop. The fish house had a fuel stove in it and it had a distinct smell to it that I've never forgotten.

Back then, the holes had to be hand chopped with a chisel, power augers were a ways off yet. Some of the guys had homemade ones, but the motors looked like go-kart engines and they were heavy and dangerous. My friends dad had these big long, sealed metal tubes pushed down the holes and anchored with a cross section of wood. He would drop some newspaper into the tube and light it and after a few minutes, carefully take the cross piece out and up would come the tube and there would w be a nice round hole in the ice....if you got careless with this procedure, that thing would fly out of that hole and damned near cut your head off!

Back then, all the fishing was done with the black braded line and a leader and a red and white bobber type stick bobber....anything caught was pulled in hand over hand. I caught my first walleye and eelpout through the ice on Mille Lacs lake during that first trip and I have been hooked ever since.

I put in my time chopping through lots of ice on alot of different lakes in every part of the state....then it was the Fin Bore and then the affordable power auger. Other technology just kept on advancing, making fishing alot easier on us and alot harder on the fish, but no matter where I go, how many fish I catch at the other lakes, my heart always belongs to Mille Lacs.

My first ice fishing trip ever was to Mille Lacs. I was probably 13 years old and my friends dad took us up there in his 1954 Oldsmobile. We drove out to this old 4 holed fish house and set up shop. The fish house had a fuel stove in it and it had a distinct smell to it that I've never forgotten.

Back then, the holes had to be hand chopped with a chisel, power augers were a ways off yet. Some of the guys had homemade ones, but the motors looked like go-kart engines and they were heavy and dangerous. My friends dad had these big long, sealed metal tubes pushed down the holes and anchored with a cross section of wood. He would drop some newspaper into the tube and light it and after a few minutes, carefully take the cross piece out and up would come the tube and there would w be a nice round hole in the ice....if you got careless with this procedure, that thing would fly out of that hole and damned near cut your head off!

Back then, all the fishing was done with the black braded line and a leader and a red and white bobber type stick bobber....anything caught was pulled in hand over hand. I caught my first walleye and eelpout through the ice on Mille Lacs lake during that first trip and I have been hooked ever since.

I put in my time chopping through lots of ice on alot of different lakes in every part of the state....then it was the Fin Bore and then the affordable power auger. Other technology just kept on advancing, making fishing alot easier on us and alot harder on the fish, but no matter where I go, how many fish I catch at the other lakes, my heart always belongs to Mille Lacs.

I can relate!

At the age of three off Doe Island the ol man had his house.

He was a tinkerer and had a 12V motor mounted on the top of the old style hole saw to drill the holes in the house.

He also had the first incidence of the Rattle Reel that I know of.

2X2s cut on a 45 to slide into the corner braces of the house above the holes. Screwed to the 2X2 was a fly fishing reel loaded with the black nylon line and a mono leader a plain black hook and yes the Red and White clip on bobber. On the handle of the fly reel was a Christmas Bell.

My first fish was a Golden Fish.

3 years old (winter of 1956)at 3am the bell woke me up.

Ding Ding Ding Ding

I grabbed the line and yanked.

Pulled it up hand over hand as Dad had showed me.

And proceeded to lay a 4 Lb Flopping Walleye on his sleeping chest.

Was he mad? No

Yellin? No

The proud Papa!

Miss ya pop.

We went up again on Friday, the wife and I. We fished almost in the same holes we were in last weekend and came away with about a dozen tiny perch and one 10 inch walleye for about 5 hours of fishing.

Maybe the weather played a part in it? We had cloudy over cast on the way up, with a southwest wind. About 1/4 of the way up, it started to snow. It quit snowing and about half way up it started to rain so hard I had to have the wipers on at the fastest setting. By the time we were 3/4 of the way up, the rain had stopped, the wind had shifted to southeast and it was sunshine and blue sky. It stayed that way for the better part of the day and then the gray clouds came back again, pushed by a westerly wind and then it started raining again! Once the rain stopped, the wind really kicked up, I bet at times it was 30 mph or more? Thats alot of change in a short period of time! We gave it until evening and by that time Misses had had enough and we packed up and pointed it for home.

We seen one of the most amazing sunsets, the setting sun turned the tops of the trees a reddish color and the western sky looked like it was on fire, pretty cool.

The Stick in Mud house is still in shallow. Action wasn't as good as last weekend, but we still found a few fish.

Pulled in five Friday, one baby and four decent fish. Biggest was only 23''. Saturday was much slower...One nice eye right at sunset, and one decent one around sunrise.

Our bite window is getting pretty short, which is pretty typical in water this shallow this late in the year.

Was up this weekend and fished Friday afternoon until Saturday afternoon. Hit the edges of flats. Caught around 7-8 eyes Friday evening but all were small. Also got 1 13.5" jumbo (my personal best) and some tullies. Saturday was aweful. One tullie for me and that was it. My buddies stayed last night as well and around 7 they pulled out a 26" eye on a rattle reel.

BUT the highlight of the weekend was this absolute monster pike!! Caught Friday late afternoon on tip up in shiner. Length was just under 40" but had an unbelievable girth. I've never seen a pike this big and this fat. It was quite the fight! Took a few pics and let this big beauty go.

full-29858-52377-image.jpg

full-29858-52378-image.jpg

• The title was changed to 2020 Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports