• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
efgh

Digital convertor boxes

Question

efgh

I received my two coupons for T.V. convertor boxes today, There is about 60 different ones listed. Is there any brands better than others? The different brands are probley all made by three or four companies. Just trying to weed out a poor choice if I can.

17 answers to this question

fivebucks

When I went to buy them I basically had to get what I could find. Some stores where sold out of all brands and the store I found with some in stock just had one brand for a little more than the coupon value.

Jim Almquist

We got the RCA brand at wally world and they work great.

Sandmannd

They're like dvd players and any other piece of electronics. Pretty much all the same parts with a different name on them.

Whoaru99

The Zenith DTT-901 is/was pretty common and last time I looked it was one of recommended ones.

I think I recall reading that the Best Buy Insignia model is basically a rebadged Zenith.

Harp

There are some diffrences I got the RCA as a test unit for one TV. it was good it has a mute [nice] and volume [nice] imput to change from box to VCR or DVD good option. I went back to wally world bought an insigma?? they were out of RCA?? just runs the box off/on and channel change you need the tv remote in your other hand for mute or volume etc. I took it back and got another RCA from another store but they wally did say if I used a Fed coupon for it they could not refund that 40 bucks I would be out.

Walterwontfalter

I'd suggest getting one that has a power button and a button to change the channels right on the box in case you lose the remote or it breaks.

Phred52

DOESN'T it strike any of you 'FUNNY' that NOW we'll have another box to "PLUG IN" to a wall outlet. While the 'powers that be' ask that we use less energy?? Talk about "the Right hand NOT knowing what the LEFT hand is doing"!!! Could this be a part of the "stimulis bill" that we don't know about ??? Phred52

gn83tm

I'm a procrastinator so haven't bought any yet (and of course the gov't $$ has run out), but the CR magazine I got lists them in this order:

Zinwell ZAT-970A

Tivax STB-T9

Alpha Digital AT2016

Sansonic FT300A

AccessHD DTA1010D

Lasonic LTA-260

Microgen MG2000

Tivax STB-T8

Channel Master CM-7000

I think I'm going to try to get the local networks through Direct on the satelite...or switch to Dish N.

S.D. Ice Angular

I am late to this whole conversion box party here also.

How does a guy get these coupons for a converter box you speak of??

deadeye

I know its off topic but do you guys know of any little portable tv's out there with the digital reception? I have a portable one for hockey and football when ice fishing and im thinking its not going to work with a convertor. Its kind of nice to be fishing and watching the superbowl at the same time so I was just curious if anyone found anything like that yet.

Jim Almquist

They ran out of money but if you sign up and if there are any coupons that don't get used then they will reissue them. my guess is that they will find more money so sign up now. Click on the link to go to there website.

Apply for coupons here

Sandmannd

I know its off topic but do you guys know of any little portable tv's out there with the digital reception? I have a portable one for hockey and football when ice fishing and im thinking its not going to work with a convertor. Its kind of nice to be fishing and watching the superbowl at the same time so I was just curious if anyone found anything like that yet.

You would have to get a digital antenna and then connect it through the TV and have power for it. Other than that the TV has to be portable.

Whoaru99

There's no such thing as a "digital" antenna. Digital TV signals are broadcast on frequencies in the UHF and or VHF bands just like plain old analog TV signals are. So, your same old UHF and or VHF antennas work just fine for digital reception.

Any TV that has an ATSC tuner can receive digital broadcasts. Any and all TVs made after March 1, 2007 have to include the necessary ATSC tuner to receive digital broadcast signals. Note that made after March 1, 2007 isn't necessarily the same thing as sold after March 1, 2007. Old stock built before that date without the ATSC tuners could/can still be sold.

I know Radio Shack has some 7" LCD TVs with digital tuners, but they're around $200. Probably can find something cheaper.

Again, the key is to look in the specs for "ATSC" tuner.

deadeye

Thanks Whoaru99, thats what I was looking for. I guess it might be a while before the ones with the digital tuner built in are the 25bucks that my current portable tv was. Oh well, at least we can still listen to the radio.

S.D. Ice Angular

Has anyone ever received thier coupons yet??

I filled out the forms a month ago and have not seen anything.

I realize the change over date was extended but just currious...

Ed Carlson

I picked up a NHENS DigitalStream DTX9950 box at Radio Shack $59, it has an easy set up mode, separate volume for both units tv/box, easy to use multi function programmable remote, analog pass through feature, and it is a small unit so it is easy to slip into a entertainment system without more junk on top of the TV.

I had a reasonable but cheap digital antenna and the box is pulling in signal very well now, sharp clean picture, very pleased with the unit. Signal strength meter and programing is displayed as you wish or do not wish it to be.

I think I will upgrade my antenna down the line, to a flat panel omni directional exterior exterior mount unit. The word is these are the best overall units to pull in signal and the least conspicuous to mount on the exterior of a house or even a camper.

I would recommend buying the best omni directional antenna one can find, it does not pay to skimp on that as it will bite you in the keister down the line if you do.

All said and done...digital is way better than my old analog signal here in Fargo/Moorhead...no comparison. I'm picking up 9 channels/sreams already and not all are on-line yet.

S.D. Ice Angular

Thanks Ed,

Did you get a coupon to use or just bought it straight out??