• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Another newbie to the area...looking for insight on Marshall Lake

Hello Gods of the Hardwater!

How's that for a little buttering up? Guys I'm looking to take my little gut out on Sunday if the weather guesser's are correct about the 22 degrees. I haven't been ice fishing for 20 years but I have all of the basics excluding electronics. The plus is that I live close to Marshall Lake off of Cty. Rd. 103. Guys can you put me close to some panfish on this lake? Thank you all for your time and any input! I'm also going to stop by the bait shop in Lake Park on my way home this evening to see what they can tell me.

I haven't fished on Marshall in the winter but early in the summer it is a great spot to catch a bunch of bullheads with an occasional walleye. I have a friend that has fished it in the winter that caught a ton of perch but all had a bunch of spots all over them. It would be a good lake to get the kinks work out of your gear, though. The way my buddy talked was that you couldn't put your bait down without catching something. I think he was out from the access towards the island.

Marshall is one of those frustrating lakes. It can be a good lake but has not been good for a couple of years.

We fished it about 10 times during the past two summers but it was slow to say the least. Bullheads and not much more. Northerns and walleyes were non-existent.

Fished it last winter and caught a few pannies, but then a buddy went down and fished it and got shut out.

IMO -- I will not waste any more time on Marshall Lake. Maybe try it again in the future, but right now it is not on the radar.

Hitman

I agree, fished it last winter one time, Caught a ton of small small perch and sunnies. fun for kids if everything is released to be caught another day.

Mabey if your looking for a spot to take the young man mabey you should try one of the other lakes just down the road. Little Cormorant, Leef, Middle Cormorant, Big Cormorant, or Ida all have pretty decent panfish. Those guys are right about Marshall, mostly bullheads the last few years. It has been a pretty decent walleye lake in the past.

Hey guys...thank you for the input! I think that we will take a little of everyones advice and try Little Cormorant. Anything to get my little dude to get some bites and maybe bring home a frying pan full. Now if I can do my part and remember how it all works.

You will do fine.

Above all have fun and remember that you are making big memories for the little guy ...