• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Legendary Minnesota Whitetails

Coach1310

Since this forum is kinda of lacking lately. I thought this thread might be a good idea. Let's accumulate a list of some Legendary Whitetails from Minnesota. The name of the buck and any tidbit/info you have on it would be great. Anything to make this deep freeze feel a little warmer smile

1. Minnesota Monarch..... a buck from Northern MN that sheds were collected from. The fate of the buck is unknown, but some accounts have it being harvested a few years after its peak. An anonymous MN Man had been feeding it and photographing it for a few years and collected its sheds. It eventually just quit showing up.

Only story I have is of a buck on our land known as the Hartford Buck, back in 94 & 95, only seen twice, the saturday evening of the last weekend both times. The friend of my uncle's that it was all antlers. First time he is watching swamp, behind him open field, for kicks decides to glance back in the field and there it is. His movement caught the bucks attention and gone. Following year, someone is on that stand sun-up to sun down every dang day, nothing. Same guy, saturday of the 3rd weekend. This time he watches the field, sure enough, catches movement and out it steps, he clicks off the safety, it eyes him and gone. Never seen again

john breen buck scoring 202 typical b&c. shot in funkley(bemidji) mn. in 1918 former world record boon and crockett deer. considered by many to be the best typical of all time.

jim jordan buck danbury wisc. 1914. although not a mn. deer it was found at a garage sale in sandstone mn. over 30 years after being shot, that was lost by a taxidermist. the guy who bought the the rack for $3, happened to be a relative of jordans, whom thought jordan was making up a story he'd shot the deer 30 years prior. the deer eventually became the new worlds record typical scoring 206 1/8 a couple months after jordans death.

the minnesota monarch scored 310" and was from ely,mn.

The one that I always stop to look at is the Curt Van Lith bow kill. Man that thing is a beast. Don't know the score of the top of my head but it is an impressive specimen.

The Van Lith buck scored 197 6/8. Very impressive animal w/ 30" main beams. Curt hunted him for several seasons. Turned out he was spending the majority of his time in a small corn field hence coined "king of the corn." He was shot about 5 miles from my house, but unfortunately for me, none of his offspring have ever been seen from my stand. I've got a field picture at work and the body matches the rack. A true palmated giant.

Didn't the Breen Buck get stolen years ago and the family spent quite a long time trying to track it down? I'm not sure if it is the same guy or not, but I'm pretty sure he started the tackle company JB Lures. Anyone have info on this?

A few more.

Mike Langin

Camp Ripley, Minnesota

Score: 219 3/8" Non Typical

Langin.jpg

Sal Aherens

Sauk Center, MN

Score: 212" Non Typical

Gross: 220" Typical

Aherens.jpg

David Klatt

Minnesota

Score: 191 5/8" Typical

Klatt.jpg

John Berscheit

Todd Co, Minnesota

Score: 230 2/8" Non Typical

Spread: 19 1/8" 7x7 Typical frame

Net frame score 215" Typical

Berscheit.jpg

Well that's the way it was when these deer were taken also, and they survived to get that big.

those are sweet racks, I think I would soil myself if I saw a monster like that while in the stand

Yep almost all of the big one's are from 20+ years ago. Too much pressure these days for any of them to reach their full potential.

liscence sales are actually down by about 150,000 since late 80's early 90's. 1992 firearm sales 443,000 to 2007 285,000.

That's true, liscense sales are down but we've been having record harvest numbers. "If it's brown, it's goin' down" type of mentality.

Okay... back on topic guys and gals. Let's talk about Legendary MN Whitetails, not the Deer management debate please.

How about the James Rath buck? Google it... what a monster!

What about the luzinski buck, the lesnar buck and the big buck taken in Vadnais heights by one of the Frattelones. I think it was 19 points? All big deer taken within the last few years.

Tunrevir~

Can't forget the new #1 Archery Non-typical for Mn... the Spanjers Buck from Hokah, Mn. Taken on Oct 3rd, 2008. 23 pts, 226" and change... 310 lbs live weight... A legend in every sense of the word.

I grew up, and still hunt, about 2 miles from where he got it. It seemed like almost everyone in town had seen or at least heard of this buck before it was taken.

doesn't it alsmost make ya sick lookin at picks like that. well, if not it kinda make me sick. more or less jealous! this past bow opener i took the buck of my lifetime, and though impressive, nothing like the ones shown before. mine tipped the scales officially scoring 181 7/8 P and Y. and who says MN can't produce big bucks. horsepoo!

In November, 1926, Carl Lenander Jr. dropped a monstrous Minnesota buck with a single shot. The field-dressed deer weighed 402 pounds. Conservation Department officials estimated its live weight at 511 pounds. No heavier white-tailed deer has ever been recorded.