• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
fishermatt

graph dedicated to running lakemaster chip

Question

fishermatt

I have a nice Humminbird graph (787c2)that I really like for finding fish, but it doesn't take the Lakemaster chip, which I can no longer live without :-). I'm thinking of getting a graph dedicated to running LM and not using for depth or fish finding. I'll use the Hummer for depth and fish location, and this other graph to follow the contours using LM.

What's a good, reasonably priced graph that will do a good job running LM? I'm looking for maximun screen size for the money (drawback of the ifinder h2o IMHO), good day and night visibility, and would like to spend less than $300 if possible. Looking for options. Thanks.

13 answers to this question

MuntzAngling

I think Lowrance take Lakemaster and Navionics chips. They have quite a few with nice sized screens. There's a lot of models out there but I love my LMS-522 and my friend likes his LMS-527.

Sandmannd

Anything Lowrance will run them. I love the 522, great for ice as well.

PerchJerker

What you want is a GPS Chartplotter, which is a full size unit like your HB787, but is a gps only (not a fishfinder) so they cost less money. That's how I have the electronics set up on my boat, 1 screen for the gps only and 1 screen for the fishfinder only --- it's really a nice set-up and a great way to take advantage of all the detail on the map chip.

Your best options are going to be Lowrance or Eagle, both will take LakeMaster chips as well as Navionics chips. They are both more than $300 however.

One good option is the Eagle Intellimap 502C, and other good options are the Lowrance GlobalMap 5300 or Lowrance GlobalMap 5200. These are high resolution 5" color screens and will do a great job of displaying the LakeMaster data.

If you don't want to go with one of those Chartplotters, your next best option is a handheld gps like the H2Oc . The problem with those in the boat is that the screens are much smaller, and harder to see in sunlight or while wearing polarized sunglasses. i think if you're serious about using the map chip then a Chartplotter is the way to go.

dudewheresmyboat

Do what I did, by a HB for the console and Lowrance for the bow! I also have an XOG for viewing on console for lakemaster.

But what perchjerker said, look into a Eagle Intellimap.

fishwater

Do what I did, by a HB for the console and Lowrance for the bow! I also have an XOG for viewing on console for lakemaster.

I run an older 334 at my console solely for the mapping with the Lakemaster chips. It works great, luckily never had any GPS issues with it. GlobalMaps and the LMS series are on sale many places now. Other than that, the XOG is a great size (bigger than the H20) and is a cheaper option - it isn't waterproof though.

fishermatt

I appreciate everyone's replies so far. I'm running an Alumacraft Navigator 175 which has a wrap around windshield, so am I best off to get something with an External antenna? I had to change the location of the Ram mount for my iFinder because it wouldn't lock on because of the windshield.

fishwater

I've got the 334 behind a windshield (it is ram mounted up pretty high ) and have not had a GPS problem in two years. Units with external GPS antenna will probably be a little more expensive, but worth it if you can swing it.

PerchJerker

I've had gps antennas under the windshields on my boats and not had a problem, but I've heard of guys who have had problems with that set-up.

Using an internal antenna unit on a RAM like the Eagle Intellimap or the GlobalMap 5300 should be okay, but if you're worried about it then the GlobalMap 5200 with the external antenna would let you put the gps puck wherever you wanted it.

With your Navigator, can you mount a GPS on a RAM outside of the windshield on the gunnel? On some boats you can get away with this and it can be a good option, it might not work with a wrap-around windshield though.

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

So the big question is this: why in the world did Lowrance NOT make the XOG waterproof?? Pretty short sided on their part.

Maybe they did this on purpose so when they do finally make it waterproof (can you say XOG2), you will have to buy the new model.

BTW, IF HB ever does obtain Lakemaster capability, they will get my business.

fishermatt

I might be able to mount something just behind where the windsheild ends, but I don't want to have the 787 be too far away from the GPS/Map unit, as I want to see both easily. I'll probably get something with an external antenna so I can mount it right next to the 787. I definitely need something waterproof. Like you said Wishin' why would anyone make an electronic unit for a boat that isn't waterproof?

I've run HB ever since I got a Super Sixty back in the 1980's (which still works!), and they have always been good to me. Just wish I could afford one of their Side Imaging units....

dudewheresmyboat

Lowrance website says its "weatherproof". I've had mine on the console flying down the river in the rain, fish'n while it was pouring rain, the XOG hasn't failed me yet. Great little unit. So far its proved to me that its "weatherproof". Though I haven't tried sumberging the unit in water. smile

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

Gee, maybe it is waterproof enough then. Unless you plan use it scuba driving smile

fishwater

I noticed some stores are selling the XOG's for $150 now.