• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Game Wardens In the area?

bak2MN

do they need to where there badge or ID on there jackets to be seen when checking people. I was up with the wife and kids over the new years and a snowmobile with now visible ID on it pulled up, a man wearing all camo gear nocked on the door and said he was game and fish and wanted to see my fishing license. I invited him in and showed my license. We had a pail full of fish, he never looked at them. Should I have asked for his ID first or am I just being paranoid. It sure made my wife uneasy about not haveing a badge. I am heading up on Thurs to Sat and if I get the knock again should I ask for it?

"It sure made my wife uneasy about not having a badge. I am heading up on Thurs to Sat and if I get the knock again should I ask for it?"

I always ask there name if I do not know them. But if this happens again I would ask then you will know who you are talking to. Well good fishing on your next outing and have fun.

We had the exact same thing happen to us a few weeks ago, although he did measure our fish as well as check licenses. I really didn't think much of it at the time but my buddies thought it was a little strange. I hate to be a pain in the butt and get off on the wrong foot by asking for some ID, but they should have to have it visible.

Mike

You should never be concerned about asking for ID. WAY too many kooks out there. No one is getting in my shack without ID.Wouldn't allow it at home and won't happen on the lake.

We were fishing over the New Years and the same thing happened to us. He showed up on a snowmobile, dressed in camo, asked to see our licenses. I said I didn't know who he was and asked to see his identification first, he showed it to us, we howed him our licenses. He was very nice about it, no problem. You should always ask for there identification if your not sure.

i have heard many stories about this, Mille Lacs, Red, LOTW, i dont get it who gets there kicks out of going to a sleeper acting like a DNR person and asking for a license???? Just weird

Sounds like the same guy he was sure nice but so are all the "kooks" out there. Im sure it was a game warden that checked us just still makes you wonder.

every time ive been checked it was obivious badge ,belt flashlight, glock id be carefull out there if its a real warden they will understand if u dont see id and ask for it.maybe just someone that was nosey and wanted to see if u had any fish

Always ask if you are not sure. I have been checked by CO's not in uniform, but I have always recognized them from previous license checks.

Not a real expert on this but i am about 99.9 per cent sure that if a law enforcement stops you and he or she is in plain clothes and you ask for identification they have to show you a picture id along with their badge, i am almost certain on this

Anytime I have been checked by the DNR on Red or anywhere else in Minnesota they have always had the badge showing......

Sometimes they will pool wardens and work "projects" on a large body of water. Their snowmobiles usually are not marked but should have a low profile light on it. While many work in a "undercover" uniform it is well within your right to ask for ID. If they are not in uniform I would guess most would expect it. Understand, as cold and snowy it has been, in order for them to be out doing thier job they may resort to warm outdoor clothing to cover thier uniforms to stay warm like the rest of us.

I don't remember seeing a badge on the warden that checked us a week and a half ago but once I looked at that snazzy 4 stroke touring sled purring quietly outside - I knew. wink

I was out there last week Friday and the game warden came on his snowmobile, dressed in full camo but never asked for his ID and asked us about licenses, fish. We had a fish that I thought was close to 17, but one other told me it wasn't so he just looked in the bucket of 3 walleyes and 1 perch and never cared to measure the one that I thought was close to being illegal. I found that odd but he measured the fish from the other bucket that was in our group 40 yds away from us.

Now I'm not letting my buddy just toss a fish in the bucket when he thinks its small enough, I'm gonna make sure its measured and legal, I was not keeping any to bring home, just enjoying to be out there.

Last year there was some CO posers out there, a man and a a woman on snowmobiles, knocking and walking right in and all around, thinking it would be fun. crazy There was a thread on it.

I wouldn't let anyone in until I was absolutely sure. You can be pretty vulnerable out in the middle of nowhere, all relaxed in your toasty little shack, half asleep, fishin' in your jammies... blush

Quote:
He is a new young guy on a snowmobile, Camo jacket and pants, nice guy, no problems

might be the same one that stopped and checked on us...he was young, nice...that may change after he is 40!

I've always found the older COs to be cooler. The younger ones seem to have something to prove. I guess I don't blame them, I'm sure they get less respect being younger.

Many of the CO's wear a camo float-coat (lifejacket) when on the lake. Just ask to see a badge and they will show you. If you do NOT believe a person is a warden call the STATE PATROL they will dispatch a warden to your area (or the phone will ring in the pocket of the guy checking you). IT IS A CRIME to impersonate a peace officer in MN.

97A.305 IMPERSONATION OF AN ENFORCEMENT OFFICER.

A person that purports to be acting in an official capacity and causes another to be injured or defrauded while falsely impersonating an enforcement officer or other officer acting under authority of the game and fish laws, or falsely claiming to have special authority under those laws, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

Wearing the uniform and being visible to the public will deter illegal activities. It is easier to catch those doing the illegal activities if they're in plainclothes. Both serve their purpose.

I know the person well all of you are talking about. The reason he wears camo is becuz it's his and is alot warmer than the [PoorWordUsage] the DNR issues him to do his job. Kinda sad actually.

i was told that they need to knock and annocne temself and then you can allow them in, from what i am told you dont have to allow them in but then they will get a warrent or what ever and come in that way

I guess I always thought that the Game Warden has more power then a normal police officer. I am pretty sure they can walk right in. My thought is, if you are doing nothing wrong, it should be no big deal. I have asked for their ID in the past. They have all been more then happy to show proper ID...

If you are nice to them, they usually have some pretty good fishing information. Can you imagine being able to walk into any house you want and see how the fishing is??!!??!! What a great gig!

Not any more. frown

The law changed several years ago by way of a court case to get some meth heads off on a technicality.

I was asked by the warden if he could look inside. I will always give the warden access. They're just protecting our resources.

I'll happily let the warden come inside to check things out and get out of the cold for a bit. May evne offer them a beverage, non-alcoholic of course.

One of the standard rules of our house's is that the CO's are always welcome to come in. They have a job to do AND can be a wealth of information. Who else goes around the lake talking to everyone and knowing what is working to catch fish? The CO's that regularly work URL also have permission to go into any house we have that doesn't have clients in it and hang out. To warm up, eat lunch or just watch the world go by.