• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
walleye6336

Ice Fishing Line???

walleye6336

Just wanted to know if there was a consensus on what the best Ice Fishing Line on the market was and was # test. We will be fishing from inside a permanant house, so icing up should not be a problem.

Any input appreciated.

eurolarva

I like to use crystal with a flurocarbon leader. Probably dont need the fluorcabon because of how dirty the water is. I like the crystal cause at 30 ft deep mono is tough to set the hook. You get zero stretch with the cyrstal and an easier hook set.

KJB

I tried the new Cajun red ice line up there last week. I did it more for visability against the snow/ice then below the water, but it performed very well, including fishing outside for a while in the sub zero temps. I had no kinks, twists, etc., it came on and off the reel well, and it is nice to have the visability factor in relation to the hole, your depth finder cord, etc.- I will be putting it on my set line pole as well- that had regular mono and I was wishing the whole time I had more to put on it.

Froggy4371

KJB,

Did you have a mono or fluro leader on it? Did you have any issues with memory.

Eurolarva,

Is that crystal by Fireline and if so do you have issues with memory?

Froggy

walleye6336

How long of a leader and what pound test are you using?

outdrzman78

i really like the 6# p line

WingDing2

8lb Power Pro is what one of the guides turned me on to a few years ago... dont use anything else now. As a matter of fact, I havn't had to change my line since then, it last forever with no memory.

eurolarva

I use the fireline crystal at LOTW. I dont know how well it performs outdoors. I use heated fish houses up there. I did not have any memory problems. I used 6 and 8 lb up there for 4 days of fishing all on good fishing days. I used a fluro leader only cause I hate tying polymer knots. I tie a swivel about 3 to 4 ft above the lure. I use 8 and 20 lb flurocarbon for my leaders and tie trilene knots at the lures or jigs. With just a hook I was using polymer knot tied right to the cystal. This stuff is pretty invisible and like I said with the water being so dirty I doubt a fluro leader is even needed.

KJB

Froggy,

I did not have any problem with memory in the line, no. I fished outside for about 45 minutes on two days with air temps around 0 and it worked fine. The line got a little stiff a couple times as was probably -5 or so windchill and the reels/spool were freezing up due to ice build up in the cold, so that is probably to be expected, but inside the portable, it was great and outside in pretty harsh conditions, it was as well. It is really nice to be see your line all the time above the hole so that is a real plus, as I said. I fish bigger spoons a lot and to be able to see where they are at off to the side, when they are on bottom, when they are gliding, was a nice plus. I did not use a fluorcarbon leader and never witnessed a problem. It is supposed to be invisible after about 10 feet or so I think, but anyway, caught probably 100-125 walleyes on it over four days and my nephew fished alongside with straight fluorocarbon and no difference in fish hitting vs. looking. I will certainly keep using it.

Froggy4371

Thanks for the great info. I want to change line cause I have always used the Berkly ice line but I really do not care for it much.

Froggy

bturck

Theories on line are probably as numerous as those on politics. Everyone has their favorites. I have used Stren Clear Blue or Low Viz for over 25 years. I've had no problems with it and generally will use either 6# or 8#. Back in the days when I was fishing a lot of bass tourneys I used Stren Clear blue in 12# test. I have always had good luck with the product, just my preference. Bill