• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
adamb

gsp puppy still peeing in kennel

adamb

i have a 5 month old gsp and he pees in the kennel during the

day while were at work. I come home atleast once at lunch to let him out, he sleeps next to my bed all night and never gets up during the night, ive tried feeding him in his kennel, leaving the door open and throwing treats in there for him but he still hates the kennel. ive never used the kennel as a punishment for him, any ideas would be graetly appreciated. im getting tired of cleanig pee

up once or twice a day and bathing him as well

caseymcq

I can't help much on getting your pup to stop peeing but I can give you some advice to help deal with the mess in the kennel. If you aren't already put shredded paper in the kennel. Some will absorb the pee and some will keep him drier. It may save on some of the bathing.

jigging-matt

How much room does he have in the kennel? If the kennel is to big this happens sometimes. leave him just enough room to laydown and see how that works.

fisheater

I agree with keeping the kennel small. most come with a divider. Most pups won't pee where they sleep provided they weren't taken from momma dog too soon. Keep trying and don't give in on the kennel work. It will definetly pay off in the long run. You may want to try a quiet radio near the kennel. don't know why but it seemed to help my pup out when he was little. (disney channel was his favorite)

SpringerGuy

I agree with jigging-matt. Just give the pup only enough room to lay down and sleep. Also no water in the kennel. He should not want to pee in his sleeping area, so he will learn to hold it and strengthen his badder muscles.

Does he have a rawhide or something to chew on? Could be a separation anxiety issue.

At first I was thinking a badder infection, but then he should have a problem at night as well.

slender

I had the same problem with my short hair. I tried everythig that has already been stated. Nothing worked. I even had him checked to see if he was diabetic. The vet finally came to the conclusion that crate training wasn't going to work for this dog.

Lucky for the dog I had a heated shop in an outbuilding, so I added a dog kennel on the side. If he wasn't such a great bird dog he would have been gone. After 1 1/2 years of peeing in his crate, I moved him outside during the day and all is well. He still sleeps in the house at night and is perfectly house trained, just has to pee every hour. He must have a bladder the size of a thimble.

adamb

Thanks for all of the advice. We had a smaller kennel for him when he was smaller. He wasn't able to move much in that one either and that still didn't help he still peed all over in it. We've tried making the kennel smaller and that still didn't help. We don't put anything in there for him to chew because ever time there was somehting in there it just got covered in pee. He's been to the vet twice for this and been on medicine for a possible bladder infection, but the vet found nothing wrong with him. When I went and picked him out at 4 weeks old his mother was already kept in a seperate kennel and only brought in for the puppies to nurse.

DRH1175

How long is he in there? Is it possible to have someone stop by midday to let him out?

KoopHawk

Had the same problem with my shorthair. We took her to the vet and got medicine for bladder infection, made the crate so small she could hardly move, and tried getting up every couple of hours to let her out and nothing worked so we put her outside in our heated shed. She's 3 1/2 now and we brought her inside this past week when it was -30 degrees and she had no problem staying in her kennel for 8 hours at a time or going to the door when she needed to go, oddly also about once every hour.

adamb

ive tried making the kennel smaller and that doesnt work, i let him out at lunch time every day he's home the other days hes at doggy day care like twice a week. i just dont understand he sleeps all night 9 hours and never wakes up to go outside but 4 hours in his kennel and he pees. im starting to think some sort of seperation anxiety. hes never in the kennel more than 4 hours. thanks for everyones input on this.

Buck Slayer 23

We have 5 GSP pupies in a Large kennel, make that 4 we sold one yesterday. when they were smaller they would pee in the kennel but not much and now they are 15 weeks old and have not gone in there for weeks. One thing i tried and i dont know if thats what did it, was i took there bedding out for a day and a night cause they always wanted to pee on something soft. maybe that might help if you want to try that.

DuckDog

Adamb,

Try making short trips out of the house. Meaning, put the dog in the kennel - leave for five minutes and come back. This will show the dog your going to be back.

Also, does he sleep at night in his kennel?