• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
bassNspear

Feel Sorry for the HTI People

bassNspear

I just heard the news. Layed off over 900 people?

Thats horrible for these people!

Chad Luebker

It sure is. The economy is horrible and I think it's only going to get worse. Sure is scary and makes me appreciate my job even more.

skeeterpro1

yeah why post about this make the people the did get laid feel bad and spread the word. Yeah it sucks for those that it happened to but don't just single them and make it bigger then it has to be. If you got laid off not something that you want everyone to know about.

Dave S

I just heard the news. Layed off over 900 people?

Thats horrible for these people!

My brother-in-law worked there several years ago and was laid off. He was in the area last week and met a former co-worker who was part of this RIF as well as her husband.

That has to be tough having all of your eggs in one basket only to have both of them getting the axe.

lovetheice

My neighbor got layed off also, she was there for 15 years, wow.

WildCountry

By Wednesday, the final day of layoffs there, it will be close to 1,000 people total. My uncle was an electrician there for 30 years exactly and he was laid off today. 6 of the 7 electricians he worked with in his area or however it works there, got the boot, but the low man on the pole still has his job. Seems a bit suspicious to me, but what are you going to do.

Mille Lacs Guy

yeah why post about this make the people the did get laid feel bad and spread the word. Yeah it sucks for those that it happened to but don't just single them and make it bigger then it has to be. If you got laid off not something that you want everyone to know about.

It is too bad people got laid off. That goes without saying. However, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Unfortunately, our economy is in tough shape and too many people are being laid off.

However, one of the best ways to network after losing a job is to let people know you lost your job and oftentimes you can get leads on new jobs from the people you tell. I'm sure 99% of the people that got laid off are good workers. They didn't get laid off because they couldn't do their job they got laid of because the economy sucks.

If I got laid off I would want people to know about it and hopefully someone would say I know of a job at my company or I know someone who you should talk to about a job that would fit well with your skills, etc. If you don't tell anybody they can't help you.

Just my .02

bassNspear

Originally Posted By: skeeterpro1

It is too bad people got laid off. That goes without saying. However, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Unfortunately, our economy is in tough shape and too many people are being laid off.

However, one of the best ways to network after losing a job is to let people know you lost your job and oftentimes you can get leads on new jobs from the people you tell. I'm sure 99% of the people that got laid off are good workers. They didn't get laid off because they couldn't do their job they got laid of because the economy sucks.

If I got laid off I would want people to know about it and hopefully someone would say I know of a job at my company or I know someone who you should talk to about a job that would fit well with your skills, etc. If you don't tell anybody they can't help you.

Just my .02

I cant agree with you more. This is why i posted this for the people that were laid off. Yes it does suck to lose your job, noone wants to lose there job ever.

With the word getting out, hopefully people will be able to find jobs soon.

Mnwalleye39

hey i need a career move or a job, been on unemployment since oct?I also except donations.

TroutYammer

Mr Obama: Immediately Stop the Importation of Foreign Labor!!!

At Least Until the Unemployment Rate Goes Back Down. According to DHS 1,657,266 new foreign workers (not counting illegal workers) added to our economy in 2008. We don't need another 1.6Million foreign workers imported in 2009 to compete with workers already here in America!!!

pulsar_nx

"but the low man on the pole still has his job. Seems a bit suspicious to me, but what are you going to do."

This would be a cost cutting move, see the low man makes the least money.

The writing has been on the wall for years, hard drives are a die-ing technology. They will still be used for years but not in every computer anymore.

That being said its a terrible time to lose a job. I feel bad for them.

KMR85

flash memory baby...seagate is starting to dive in and it's about time HTI does too...or no one will work there anymore.

Flash memory is a whole different ball game. HTI could migrate to SSD or optics, but Flash they would have to aquire new tooling which will clean down to 45 nanometer to keep up with the market. It would be a very large investment and from what I understand, they are fairly broke now! and its already too late in the game....

Booster

Got laid off from there for the second time on monday and have been in the fish house ever since. Sucks but what do ya do. If anybody is looking for a good estimator or machinist let me know.

cgenz03

Yeah that really sucks...I grew up in Brownton and I know a lot of people that got laid off from there. It's too bad that stuff like that has to happen. Makes me appreciate my job a lot more...even though I am posting on this site on company time...oops! Back to work...for now.

Chad

lovetheice

Mr Obama: Immediately Stop the Importation of Foreign Labor!!!

At Least Until the Unemployment Rate Goes Back Down. According to DHS 1,657,266 new foreign workers (not counting illegal workers) added to our economy in 2008. We don't need another 1.6Million foreign workers imported in 2009 to compete with workers already here in America!!!

I think this is the biggest problem and agree 100%

aanderud

and its already too late in the game....

That's the problem with HTI - TOO SLOW to react. When I was interviewing for internships while in college in 1999, they were on campus. I asked the recruiter what they had on the horizon for new technologies, since hard drive technology would not be around forever. Now, I hadn't actually expected to get a straight answer on exactly what the new technologies they were researching. I fully expected a vague answer like "well, we are always researching new technologies to keep ourselves on the cutting edge". But instead, I got "hard drives are not going away any time soon".

When I was interviewing for jobs as I neared graduation in 2001, I skipped over HTI completely, based on that short conversation I had with a recruiter 2 years earlier. Now, I look back and wonder how the management at this company could drive it into the ground like they have, considering people were predicting the end of the hard drive in the 90s. I guess companies thing R&D is a waste of time, since that's usually one of the first things the cut when times get tough. Short term, you see gains in stock prices. Long term, you see things like this. Too bad.

Good luck to everyone who is looking, I hope you find good jobs. That goes for everyone, not just HTI folks.

CrappiesNeyes

Jason, sorry to here you got hosed again-- give me a call if you get a chance. Ryan B 320-260-5821.

Sonicrunch
flash memory baby...seagate is starting to dive in and it's about time HTI does too...or no one will work there anymore.
Seagate just laid off a ton of people too.

KMR85

has seagate had massive layoffs every 5 years since the mid 90s?

Sonicrunch

I dunno.

Has HTI?

KMR85

yes they have

DarthBaiter

So has seagate.

mxzfire

I got the axe after 15 years as a toolmaker there. Job hunting is prety tough right now.

aanderud

Keep your chin up mxzfire. You'll find something eventually! Good luck.