• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Prior Lake updates

I am moving from the north burbs to bloomington this weekend and I know there are some good lakes and Id like to fish Prior regularily however I hae not heard much for recent updates. Does anyone have any updates on any of the south burb lakes? And if anyone would like a partner for some walleye fishing south metro let me know!

You're going the wrong way! All the good fishing is up north! Let me know when you are heading out for the walleyes and maybe we can meet up.

You're going the wrong way! All the good fishing is up north! Let me know when you are heading out for the walleyes and maybe we can meet up.

Up north as in Leech Lake up north? I used to live in Roseville and I thought the fishing opportunities stank when compared to W/SW metro. If I was moving to the SW metro and had alot of time to explore new water, I would concentrate on Minnetonka. There are tons of walleyes and slab crappies to be had out there, you just need to find them. I'd definitely get a good GPS with a Lakemaster or Navionics chip and start drilling holes. `

Welcome to Bloomington smile. You'll find ice fishing...sux around here. WE have to go a fair distance for decent fishing. As for eyes...i think it might be a little late for eyes. Tonka is about the same distance and I've heard some eyes coming up. As for prior, last few days has been rough fishing overall.

You could try the Minneapolis chains for some eyes...but a lot of people tell me, we are approaching the dead eyes time.

But, I'm a noob..what do i know? smile

Since I am in Lakeville everything is "up north"! We used to fish Tonka and Waconia quite a bit when I was a kid. Riley used to be good for crappies back then too.

Originally Posted By: spentshell

Up north as in Leech Lake up north? I used to live in Roseville and I thought the fishing opportunities stank when compared to W/SW metro. If I was moving to the SW metro and had alot of time to explore new water, I would concentrate on Minnetonka. There are tons of walleyes and slab crappies to be had out there, you just need to find them. I'd definitely get a good GPS with a Lakemaster or Navionics chip and start drilling holes. `

HAVE GPS AND COORDS OF SPOTS, AND HAVE FISHED IT 3 TIMES AND STIILLLLL CANT CATCH A WALLEYE!!! THAT LAKE IS TOO BIG WITH NO GENERAL DIRECTION OR SOMEONE WHO KNOWS IT.

I think just keep at it really. Finding walleyes around the metro is tough, well at least for me. 3 times isn't a lot of tries imo. We're in the same boat smile cept, my gps is at the bottom of lake riley. I guess, don't be intimidated and keep fishing!

Originally Posted By: Carp-fisher
Originally Posted By: spentshell

HAVE GPS AND COORDS OF SPOTS, AND HAVE FISHED IT 3 TIMES AND STIILLLLL CANT CATCH A WALLEYE!!! THAT LAKE IS TOO BIG WITH NO GENERAL DIRECTION OR SOMEONE WHO KNOWS IT.

3 TIMES AND NO WALLEYES!!! YEAH CROSS MINNETONKA OFF THE LIST!!! SERIOUSLY, TALK TO THE GUY AT WAYZATA BAIT, NICE GUY AND HE'LL LET YOU KNOW WHERE PEOPLE ARE CATCHING FISH. TWO WEEKS AGO HE SAID THEY WERE POUNDING THEM OUT BY THE DOCKS IN NORTH WAYZATA BAY

There are some great lakes in the south metro. The best advice I can give you is to get an H2O with a lakemaster chip and do some reserch. Tonka is a great lake but focus on each bay as it's own lake, learn them one at a time otherwise you will get overwelmed. For example Phelps will fish different than Crystal. Prior holds good fish, get away from the crowds, drill alot of holes and move alot to stay on them. Use common sense and fish breaks and weed lines. Good luck.

well i got a gps and lakemaster chips so I will have to go wander around a little and find some drop offs and structure.

Hondo...let me know when you can head to Prior. I'd like to head there soon too. Haven't been in a few years. At least it's close to home

Welcome to Bloomington Honda, I'm not a big ice fisherman, but I did get out on Prior on Sunday for the first time ice fishing in years. Didn't catch much, just some small sunnies, but my buddy said he usually gets a limit of crappies, but the last couple weeks have been slow. We even got out there at 5 AM, but only fished til 8:30.

Anyway, I have been reading these ice fishing reports and that has got me think'n I need to invest in some gear and get out there, and like you, somewhere in the south metro would be ideal.

Last year was spent fixing up an older lund and this spring I plan on working the MN river pretty hard. I really like catfishing, so if you want to get out there this spring, let me know. I know a few spots on the river that will give us some nice size cats.

And if you need an Ice fishing partner, let me know. I've got to get at least 1 decent fish out of the hole this year.

Prior lake is a tough walleye lake to fish. anyone can show up and catch 6-8 inch crappies which is what is mostly in here. some guys do find the bigger crappies, 10 inchers but they are few and far between. walleyes on this lake are tough to catch. 90 percent of the deeper rock/weed structure wont hold any walleyes in my opinion. i have found some of the nicest spot on the camera and fish there for a while with out a bite. I tend to catch all of my fish on the edge of the weedline, because of all of the noise and because these are all stocked fish i think they relate to the weeds a lot more. it has beeen slow this year so far, last year where we pounded them my buddy has ha his house there all year and hasnt caught a walleye.

I've had really good luck this year on tonka. Early ice all the way through the new year I have had at least 1 eye each time out there (when fishing for them). All have been keepers so far, one 24" and the rest anywhere from 14"-17"

It's really slowing down now though, and I haven't been out there early AM or evening for just over a week.

Where did you move to in Bloomington? I'm on the East side of town.

Hey fazer we will have to talk more about the catfishing thing. I know MNfishtrapper and myself were talking about it as well. Hes pretty into catfishing. Maybe we can all get together and and get some fish out of the minnesota.

Sounds like a plan. You moving to east Bloomington or West?

I live right up from the 35W bridge on Lyndale. Nice place to launch, and so close. I think I saw your number on another post. I'll take it down and give you a call sometime. I'm still thinking about heading out to Waconia for the get together on Sunday, meet some people on here and learn a little more about icefishing.

Hey fazer we will have to talk more about the catfishing thing. I know MNfishtrapper and myself were talking about it as well. Hes pretty into catfishing. Maybe we can all get together and and get some fish out of the minnesota.

mind if I join you sometime... I like catfish as well

well I ahve talked to the guy at wayzata bait shop. he told me to set up in 35 feet of water... so I found a really nice brealk and drop into 35 feet and set up there and couldnt mark a fish to save my life, my friend set up 3o yards north of me in 22 feet and yanked 2 back to back.

Im moving to the West side near 169 and ols shakopee rd.

I wouldn't give up on Tonka. I lived in Mound for 3 years and it took me most of those 3 years to start to figure out the walleyes in that lake. Then of course I move down to Burnsville right after I figure out the walleyes there so I had to start over on Prior. I've tried Prior all of last year and a few times this year and have still not caught a walleye on that lake. I've fished spots that look like perfect walleye spots and don't mark a single fish. I'm about ready to give up on Prior and make the drive to Tonka when I want to fish since really it's only about 10 minutes further from where I'm at.

Hi there I was raised in

Prior lake and know the lake like the back of my hands have caught many trophy walleyes northerns largemouth bass. and I am sure the spots I fished haven't changed. if you want some tips just ask and I will answer here. Steve graduated from there 1976

I'm hitting Prior for the first time tomorrow with my buddy and the women. He has a perm out there but the fishing has died in his spot. lakowoods could you pm/e-mail me with a spot or 2 to fish for anything that will bite? The only time I fish it is the spring crappie tournament. I have a gps and the lake maps. Anything to help narrow it down.

ps: Honda, I may be looking for a new partner for the spring crappie tourney if you are interested.

Ron

that will be a YES in my books Ron. YOu let me know when it is and ill make sure to have that weekend off work. Good lookin out!

Ill get you the shovel back then too hahah

Hi there I was raised in

Prior lake and know the lake like the back of my hands have caught many trophy walleyes northerns largemouth bass. and I am sure the spots I fished haven't changed. if you want some tips just ask and I will answer here. Steve graduated from there 1976

I don't know if I need your spots necessarily, but some tips would be appreciated. I'm just not sure what else to do on that lake for walleyes. Feel free to shoot me an email at tash!t7 at hotmail (replace the "!" with an "i") if you don't want to post here. Thanks!

We have been doing very well for crappies, sunnies and some decent perch in 12'. Stayed out late last night and was rewarded with a couple nice eye's. I had fish moving thur all night. Ended the night with a limit of crappies a few sunnies a couple of eye's. Seems that the week day night have been much better then then the weekend. Very quite last night.

That is one thing I have not done yet on Prior...stay out past 9 pm. It seems whenever I fish that lake I'm not able to stay out late and I've always wanted to. I'll have to give that a whirl one of these days.

Hi there I was raised in

Lakowoods, I would be interested in some suggestions also for Prior lake, thanks for info..email- motox380 at aol dot com.

AceintheHole, what r u using for bait and what depths u fishing in? I was out last night and couldn't get them darn things to bite. I was marking fish anywhere from 15 to 21 fow, a lot of lookers but no takers...

Right now I am set up in 12'. I have been using gill pills or mud bugs tipped with red euros. I have also been having very good luck with just a plain glow hook and very small crappie minnows. About 75% of the crappies I am getting are right on the bottom which is mostly soft mud. As far as ice thickness we have 20".