• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hello,

My brother, some friends and I are planning on taking my Dad on a 5 day fishing/bonding trip at the end of August. 2 summers ago we rented a cabin and boats at Moosetrack Adventures in Ely. Jim and the staff were awesome and the accommodations were fantastic! I can't say enough good things about them. We had a beautiful time. I would like to go back again, but the group of guys I go with want to try something a little closer to the Gunflint area this time around. So I ask the Fishing Minnesota Community for suggestions. Looking for a smaller, "Mom and Pop" out-of the-way type place. Doesn't have to be fancy. Thank you in advance for your help.

Jason

For some good fishing and a Mom and Pop atmosphere I would suggest 3 places to start. Voyageurs Canoe Outfitters, Gunflint Pines, Or Seagull Creek Fish Camp. Voyageurs and Segull would put you on Sag and a decent chance at some 30 inchers and some lake trout.

Jason, I wholeheartedly agree about Moosetrack and Jim et al.

Can't help you on your quest, but I'd trust Gunflint to steer me right up the, uh, Glunflint. smilesmile

Gunflint knows his Shiznit on the Gunflint. DUH! Thus the name. grin

I have heard good things about Seagull Creek. Sag is a tuff nut to crack but a chance at some true trophy eyes and you will love the bass in there Jason. They are typical grass carp, they hit anything that comes by them. wink

Or drive a bit farther up the shore across the border and hit Northern Lights Lake. Its coming back for the walleyes and there is TONS of nice smallies in there. Do us waleye guys a favor and keep and eat all the bass ya catch up there. wink

As a fairly new "trail" resident but not lacking the knowledge of the area i would highly second the voyageurs, top notch place with top notch service(i may be alot bias). The cabins and resort units are very rustic. One of them is even set right on the banks of the gull river/lake! With boats or canoes available for rent, along with helpful staff to point you in the right direction for all your fishing needs!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am now doing some homework! If there are any more, I am still open....

Thanks!

Jason