• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
labsareus

Shedding problems inside dog

labsareus

I am looking for help as our 11 month old Lab is in jeopardy

with the wife. He has always shed some but lately we are finding that it has gotten worse. He is healthy and he doesn't lose any big clumps, just a constant cleanup on the floors etc.

Are there cycles that dogs go through or will this likely continue ? We brush him regulary and this helps for a day or so.

Has anyone tried the No Shed suppliments ? Any truth to the sales claims ?

Actually, the dog is probably safe but I might be sleeping outside for bringing him home unless I figure something out !

Ralph Wiggum

I have heard some amazing things about the Furminator. Haven't tried one yet, but they are supposed to work wonders.

mwodziak

I read something that said that labs will shed 4 times a year.

The hair will always be around in the house. Just have to clean often and brush often.

Not to say there aren't any other helpful tricks, but this is what I do.

eric29

I have the furminator for my 2 labs and it works great. You will fill up bag after bag of hair to start but after a while it will be done. I found the brush on [YouNeedAuthorization] for alot cheaper than at any store. I recommend the yellow one for labs.

ironrangegemneye

I will be buying a Furminator also and have heard they work great. They are a little spendy, but probably not much more than the other couple brushes combined that we have so far purchased. My 11 month old black lab is shedding also right now. We vacuum every other day if not more and have been brushing him every day, and we seem to get more hair each time.

SpringerGuy

A top quality, high protein dog food should also help if your not feeding one already. Should be at least 25% protein.

ironrangegemneye

I know many people vary on this, but at what point should adult food be slowly worked into a puppy's diet?

LABS4ME

I have 2 friends that have taught their labsw to love being vaccumed. One had to do this in order to keep his dog in the house. They run the vaccuum over him once a day to remove loose hair and directly into the vaccuum. Works flawlessly! Use patience and work the routine in slowly over a couple weeks. Use a lot of positive re-inforcement and make it a 'fun' thing for the dog.... thye will literally come running when they hear the vaccuum fire up so they can get their daily dose of attention.

Good Luck!

Ken

SpringerGuy

Start mixing in adult food in that 12 month range. It should say something on the back of your puppy food bag.

glenn57

i have 2 labs and a sheltie and at times they do shed a lot. i found that a shedding blade works quite well. when i bring that out the dogs about run me over. must feel good when i use it on them.

DuckDog

I use a vacuum with our dog. I use the attachment with the brush on it - she will come over to be as soon as she sees the vacuum in my hand. Start when they are puppies and you will not have a problem.

rattlereel

Furmanators are awsome! Spendy but they work well.

MNpurple

I bought an imitation furminator (furbuster I think) at Wally world for half the price and it does just as good as my buddys furminator, just an idea if you want to save a few bucks.

ironrangegemneye

I should have read this post last night before picking up a Furminator. It worked wonders on my 11 month old lab last night.

eric29

I tried to say where you could get the real furminator for much cheaper in an earlier post but i guess i cant use the name but if you go to a internet auction site, you can find some for about half the price or so.

erikh45

here is another vote for the Furminator. I also got mine from an internet site that starts with E and is followed by a Bay. I used it on my bulldog and my wife's cat and it worked well on both.

labsareus

Thanks for all the suggestions and I will try the Furminator this weekend. The vacuum thing is a no go for my pup as he hides as soon as it comes out !! We used a different tool to brush him last weekend (3 times) and it made a real difference, so it has to be excess hair that can be reduced. Bottom line is that Mom is happier and both my pup and I can rest easier !!

ironrangegemneye

My lab will be one year next Tuesday and has been scared of the vacuum his whole life, until the past couple weeks. He now gets right up to it and sniffs it. I just use lots of positive reinforcement and talk to him while I use it.

That would be the easy way to get the hair off a dog though.

BirddogBenelli

FURMINATOR ROCKS...worth its weight in gold!