• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Rick

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports

Borch

Hope you at least get some rain up there this spring Kelly.  We were pretty dry until the past two months. 

kelly-p
20 hours ago, Borch said:

Hope you at least get some rain up there this spring Kelly.  We were pretty dry until the past two months. 

To give you a idea of what it is like here this is how my dock has sat since last August. The river is at lake level here.  Almost no Spring flow from melting snow. Just a trickle here and there. I've burnt any grass off for 200 feet around my house, farm buildings and farm equipment so there is a little protection in case a big fire gets going. The grass has been burnt off between the highway and the airport to give Waskish a little protection in case a fire gets going south of town. Westwind cleaned their channel last fall so they should be OK for boats. Total acreage of URL and LRL is 272,000 acres so it would ONLY take 177,261,312, 000 gallons of water to raise the lake level 2 feet. :crazy:

dockk.JPG

Borch

Wow!  Didn't realize it was that bad up there.  That's going take a long time to get turned around.

kelly-p

According to the Army Corp of Engineers weather station here in Waskish we have had a grand total of  1.29 inches of precipitation so far in 2018. :crazy: When we were burning the grass of there was still about 30% snow cover. The flames were hitting 10 feet high. :eek:

halad

Hey Kelly can I fish of your dock opener

kelly-p
2 hours ago, halad said:

Sure. The good thing is if you have too many cocktails and fall off the dock you will not have to worry about drowning. :grin: People are going to have a long walk to go swimming out of the Waskish beach. Hard to believe that 3 years ago the dock floated up off the support poles so we had to put in a few longer ones. The dock was right up to the predator guard below the wood duck houses. 

Surface Tension

Drove through last week and noticed the ditches didn't have much water compared to other years.

Kelly looks like you need an extension for your dock. :)

kelly-p

"Kelly looks like you need an extension for your dock."

But I don't think I have to worry about any boats hitting it.   :D It should be an interesting Opener.

shaky legs2
On 4/24/2018 at 6:57 AM, halad said:

Kelly, If Hal is going to have cocktails while fishing off your dock make sure he brings his dog along so someone can drive him home.  Kinda like a sober cab, I mean Lab?

• Haha 1

Hookmaster

With the low water levels, what is it going to be like launching at the public access in the river? Will waders be needed to get out into the lake?

halad

Looking at the South shore its as low or lower than it was last fall. There is some open water on shore but the lake is ice bound yet be hard to tell until ice out but doesn't look good. Waders and a small boat maybe. I know that last fall you could only get a fishing boat through Rogers channel. Sitting on Kellys dock and drinking is looking like a plan. Dogs been gone for a long time now miss her she bailed me out more than once driving home from the W.W.

• Like 1

kelly-p

"Kelly, If Hal is going to have cocktails while fishing off your dock make sure he brings his dog along so someone can drive him home.  Kinda like a sober cab, I mean Lab?"

We'll make sure he gets home, Don't want him hanging around the yard for days. :D Actually I've been thinking  that with the lake so low there could end up being a lot more boats in the river then there is room for, could be an interesting show. :crazy: 

The mouth of the River could be tough. It was not cleaned this Spring. The ice is about off the river today. It just kind of faded away with no current to move it. Back in the "80's" when I was night guard at the Hatchery we had a year like this with no current in the River. The walleyes never really ran up the River with no current coming out of it.

• Like 1

halad

The south shore and it looks like the east shore is open for about a mile out. Been here since the early 70,s and have never seen the lake this low in the spring. Small boats only from this side of the lake.

kelly-p

halad, I noticed this "gift" the ice fishermen left us along #23 where you clean up the litter. When I went back it was cleaned up. Are you the good soul that cleaned it up? Have you noticed that it is so dry there are no mosquitos. Want to buy some rice paddies? Ready to go just need some water. :grin: 

garbage.JPG

ozzie

Camper Ice house owners (sorry for grouping) have to be some of the biggest slobs out there!!  not saying all are this way, as I am sure many are not, and maybe majority are not, but holy cow do a few make a group look horrible!!!!

Thanks Halad for your years of cleaning up the area!!!  A thankless job most of the time I am sure but there are others out there that really appreciate all your effort thru the years!!! 

kelly-p
12 hours ago, halad said:

Yes I found that mess when I did road clean up. I don"t understand it. This was my 10th. and last year I haven't found anybody who wants to help or take it over at my age its to much for one person. Anybody interested?  Contact Beltrami County Adopt-A-Highway Program 218-647-8118. 

The bags of human waste really complicate it. A person almost needs a biohazard suit. I think the people caught throwing that stuff along the roads should be sentenced to community service picking up garbage along the roads. Thanks for all the stuff you have picked up through the years halad. :D

• Like 3

gunner55

Yep, thanks halad. Our lake association has 2 three mile sections, 1 on each end of the lake, that it does twice a year & I help when possible the last few seasons. No human waste, that I know of but it's crazy the stuff we do find. There's a very busy PA for another lake nearby on 1 end of the lake & that section gets a lot of trash, but nothing like that. Someone pick it up already this season, even before the association got to it.

halad

If that rain last night dosen't bring the lake up nothing will I measured 4".  My wife called and said get in the crawl space under the cabin because a tornado was coming actually we had very little wind just rain.   A  tornado did come across the lake back in the 70's or early 80's. I had a small boat pulled up on the beach with a new 9- horse motor when I heard the storm coming I put on hip boots and went out to get the motor off the waves were slapping me in the chest but I did manage to get the motor up on shore. The storm came across down the shore down from me where it picked up a pontoon and deposited it on shore then nocked down a swath of trees in the woods. In the morning all I  could see of my boat was the tip of the bow it was covered with sand. What will the rain do to the fishing that has been good for the middle of July well I will have to go out an see after the NW wind quits.

• Like 1

kelly-p

Computer is working right again so it is a little easier post. The one tornado lifted off the ground about 6 miles SW of you hal. It came off LRL and traveled far enough to cross County #23 before it lifted.. The other 2, one west of Ponemah and the other east of Ponemah left land and went NE out over URL.

ozzie,  We have finally started to get some decent rains the past 3 weeks. Erratic, 3 inches one place and 1/2 inch a mile away but welcome moisture.  We were so dry earlier that we didn't even have mosquitos and the Tamarac had not flowed for almost a year. The ditches and rivers are flowing again now but the flow is dropping off pretty fast. I would guess the bog is soaking it up.  I think the lake is up about 6 inches. The lake is less then a mile from my house but the last time I looked at it was my last day ice fishing. 😁

ozzie

so just curious how is the water situation in the area?  the document didn't open and I don't get up in the area as often as I would like but I have heard of quite a few storms roll through the area.  I know the sentiment earlier this year was it was gonna take a lot to get things going in the right direction, so has that started to happen or still way below normal?  Thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Lake of the Woods water temps are steadily falling into the mid to low 50’s. This past week cold fronts and strong winds have fish schooling up and feeding heavily.

In Minnesota, look to rocky bays and adjacent reefs in 15-22ft. of water.  A jig and minnow is all that is needed to catch a limit in a short period of time. Bottle necks between islands in the NW Angle are also worth fishing in the evenings.

In Canada, the fishing has been excellent.  Crappie, walleye and perch are all schooling up and taking a jig and minnow.  With the water temperatures dropping, expect to see the muskie bite increase while trolling. 

We will be closing October 22nd for ice in! Contact us for availability for your fall fishing trip!

We hope to see you soon,
      Sunset Lodge

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the main basin... Very strong walleye fishing continues with the jig bite picking up.  Charters finding limits of eater walleyes with big fish mixed in.  Crankbaits, spinners / crawlers and jigs with frozen shiners in main basin successful. 15-31 feet of water producing good numbers of walleyes across south shore with very good numbers in front of gap. Shiners showing up at mouth of Rainy River as well as up the Rainy River. 
      On the Rainy River... With shiners entering the river, eater walleyes showing up as well.  Anglers reporting success both jigging and pulling crankbaits.  Walleye activity will be increasing as shiner run continues.  

Up at the NW Angle... Strong numbers of walleyes being caught on mud flats and around Garden Island. 15 - 25' is a good start.  Spinners, crankbaits and jigging all producing.  Some nice jumbo perch mixed with walleyes.  Muskie activity picking up as water is cooling.  Next full moon, Sep 24.  Crappie anglers are producing big black slabs.  

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Minnesota walleye action remains strong with spinners in mud bottomed areas near reefs using both minnows and crawlers. Fish can also be found in shallower water (15ft. or less) around Garden Island. Crankbaits seem to be the most effective at enticing larger fish. 
      Canadian walleye fishing has been fabulous this past week. The jig and minnow bite is on! Multiple boats ran out of bait and had just as much success switching to plastics. Bottom bouncing with crawlers remains effective in soft bottom areas as well.  Crappies continue to school up on deep water points. Hot windows of muskie bites have become shorter but still with good success.  Plenty of fish in the 4ft plus range and even a couple over 50!
      Water temps remain stable between 64-67 degrees. 
      See you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      9.4.18 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye fishing remains best with deep trolling minnow baits in 22-27 feet of water.  These same areas will provide action with a spinner and a minnow, however crawlers are still producing fish.  In the coming weeks, jig and minnow fishing will be the go to with fish stacking themselves on points and current areas. 

Canadian walleye action remains strong on bottom bouncer and spinner rigs with either a crawler or minnow.  Walleye are starting to school tighter making jig and minnow fishing very effective. Fall fishing is starting to heat up and we are seeing crappies schooled up on deep points.

Surface water temps are currently in the low 70’s throughout the day. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye fishing has been great using bottom bouncers and a night crawler. Anglers are being selective to fill limits with 16-18” fish as well as a few over 28 released. Most success has been in the mud, off of structure in 21-23 feet and 26-30 feet. The largest fish seem to come from South of Garden Island on crank-baits.

Canadian walleye are also most effectively targeted with bottom bouncers and spinners. Depth has not been as important as being at the bottom of a break line in the flat. Gold with chartreuse has been best as of late.  Musky activity has slowed from the prior weeks but expect it to ramp up with the full moon approaching. Perch have been schooled up on and around reefs topping out around 30 feet.

Water temps remain consistently in the low to mid 70’s. 

Remember - fall is the time for trophy fish up at the NW Angle!

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, spinners and crawler harnesses are still the preferred method of walleye fishing, with the hot colors being pink/gold, orange/gold and orange/chartreuse. Walleye are being caught off of structure scattered in the mud between 20 and 30 feet. Down riggers and deep running crank baits have also been productive.

Canadian walleye are being caught in channels off of islands and along reefs in 18 to 25 feet of water. Both bottom bouncers with a crawler harness and a jig with minnow or shiner have both been successful in Canadian waters.

Musky fishing success has increased in the past week. Fish are being caught on crank baits and blade baits. With water temps in the low 70’s muskies are favoring rocks near weeds. 

Our very own, Travis Palmquist, released a 54.5" musky yesterday!

Fall is a great time for trophy fishing!

We hope to see you soon,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, walleye are still scattered through out the main lake basin. Night crawlers on a spinner remains most effective.  Make drifts/passes parallel but off of structure including islands and reef break lines in 24-30 feet.  Hot colors have been gold/pink, gold/orange or hammered gold.  Deep running crank baits are another good option, often producing bigger fish and large northern pike. 

On the Canadian side of the lake, fish can be schooled on humps and reefs.  Once located, fish these areas with a jig and minnow or shiner.  Pulling spinners in 25-30 feet of water is most productive in covering ground to locate feeding and roaming walleye.  Muskie action continues to improve through out the week.  Multiple big fish were caught on Sunday with many others boated as well as, a lot of lookers.  As activity levels rise, blade baits have been triggering positive reactions. Water temperatures remain consistent in the low 70's. 

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Water temps are consitently in the mid to high 70’s.
      Walleye in Minnesota can be caught on reefs with a jig and minnow. More productive methods currently are bottom bouncers and crank-baits in 24-28 feet of water.  Covering a lot of ground is key when the fish arent schooled together.  We have had many 40”+ Pike caught while trolling, reports of large Muskie also.
      Candian walleye are spread out as well, making bottom bouncing and deep cranks the ticket to success. Fish mud bottomed areas deeper than 25ft for best results. Many nice jumbo perch limits have been coming in recently. They are biting on a jig and fathead and are concentrated at 28-30ft.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Water temperatures are starting in the low 70’s in the morning, reaching mid to upper 70’s in the evening.

Minnesota walleye action can be hot running deep diving crank-baits straight, down rigging or lead core. Soft bottom areas can also be worked with spinners and a night crawler.  Fish have been favoring gold on bright days and orange, chartreus or pink in low light.  Many larger northern pike this last week in the boat via crank-baits just outside of rock reefs and points.

Canadian walleye fishing has been more productive away from reefs and points in soft bottomed areas. The best method is to pull a spinner to find concentrations along the bottom and switch to jigging to fill out limits.

Musky attitude in Canada varies day to day. Plenty of fish are still being caught in shallow weeds including a couple of 50+ giants this past week.  Fish are also being caught in more traditional mid-summer spots such as rock reefs and points.  The most productive baits this week were crane baits or other flat baits, buck tails and top waters. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from Sunset Lodge!

In Minnesota, walleyes and pike have been found using crank-baits on the south side of Oak Island.  Walleye have also been caught pulling spinners in 26-30 feet using gold and green.

In Ontario, walleye have been very active using pink and orange jigs on the breaks of reefs or casting shallow crank-baits in 8-12 feet by rocky shoreline points.  A good mixed bag of smallmouth and pike have been found with the walleye as well.

Musky fishing has really picked up with lots of fish over 40+ inches.  Fishing sand and weedy bays near rock reefs have produced well using buck-tails, small crank-baits and top-water baits. 

Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• BrianF
      Ace (or anyone for that matter), have you been able to pinpoint the conditions that bring the big smallies up shallow in the fall?  Water temp perhaps?  Moon phase? A bait connection?  We saw this happen by chance a couple of years ago, which resulted in some very large smallies coming over the rails.  Didn’t weigh the biggest but my guess was 6lbs+.     Just trying to to see if this shallow movement can be predicted.    Brian 
    • leech~~
      pikeandchester, your kid is priceless!   You know that you wouldn't be going by your self much anymore-Right! 😅
    • Tom Sawyer
      Deep weed edges have produced crappie during the transition period, before the water gets in the 50s. Rigging or jigging chubs have been a standard tactic for walleye this time of year. If your noticing a lot of debris throughout the water column, turnover may be going on, fish a bigger body of water, they turn over a little latter. Have not been on Webb, just tips for this time of year.... Good luck!
    • Fishouttawater
      Try pine lake off of McFarland. Easy to get to and good size eyes. You’d need a portable fish finder though. Interesting lake for eyes. Basswood is awesome too but it’s a haul.
    • JBMasterAngler
      Yeah, I wouldn’t be making this treck until next June. I heard from another source that it’s navigable as well, as long as water levels are normal. Thanks for the info.
    • Wanderer
      @gimruis   I’ve been accused of having too much patience many times.   My duck hunting buddy talked about people’s differing personalities and how we didn’t understand why fellow hunters weren’t more considerate.  We settled on the fact that we’ve been trained to be that naive from working in the hospitality/service industry too long! 😀   Still loving the hunting but have to change our expectations a bit
    • awkwardjim
      up here on webb lake right now... anyone have any tips or suggestions?! 
    • leech~~
      Instead of going through all the hassle of mounting it in your boat before you knows if it's good. You may try duct taping the ducer to a stick to hang over the side and run some power wires to it.   You should know pretty fast if it works or not by making a few knob adjustments. Good Luck.  
    • Topwater Scott
      Orchard in Lakeville has a good population of tiger's.  
    • mbeyer
      I know this....not as many smallmouth coming up shallow on this fall trip as compared to spring. Could not get a top water bite regardless of time of day and depth of water.   Found a few stragglers in the few hours we chased them.