• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 - Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports (URL)

Rick

Going to leaving shortly will post updates how we did on sunday. Looking forward to getting away and relax and maybe be visited by a few eyes or crappies.

Got home today from 2 days up at Red. Thanks to Jonny P. 2 guys fished Wed. 4:30pm until 9am Friday. caught 2- 12" eyes right off the bat. For the trip we caught 12 eyes, biggest being 19.5", 17.5" and 16.5". the rest were 12"-14".

2 crappies- 13" and a 13.5".

1 small perch

1 pike- 24"

Just got back from Red Fished the 6th and part of the 7th Very Very Slow Did get three Walleyes Bite didn't start tell 8:45 pm

Thursday night Then that was it We left friday amd for winnie

And that was even worse Two 10" Perch the rest were small

The weather was good but the fish did not want to bite when we finally seen them

Fished Red from 10am-7pm Saturday and from 7am-9:30am this morning four miles out of Aggisis. Caught one 13 inch crappie at noon, 11 inch walleye at 1pm, 17 1/2 walleye about 3pm and a 19 incher at 6:30pm. This morning was slower. Had two bites at 9am resulting in one 8 inch walleye.

Had about half-a-dozen missed bites from 6-6:30pm Saturday night. They seemed to bite so light I could not hook into them. The bobber would go down and come back up or you would set the hook and nothing would be there but they some how managed to steal my minnow almost every time either way. I think they may have been crappies because at 6:30 I caught the 19 inch walleye and he had the hook set deep, not at all like the previous missed bites. Maybe thats just wish-full thinking.

I only caught one fish on a jiggen spoon, I tried several, even tried euro's on a genz worm at one point when I could not catch anything I was marking. Plain red hook or blue demon seemed to have the most bites.

I brought my auger with hoping the weather would be nice enough for some hole-hopping but the wind was to strong and the house was to warm.

got back from red lake today fished all weekend kept 3 eyes and 1 perch we caught a total of 9 fish all weekend. didnt catch anything durring the day fished out of alpine aka royal shooks jerome was a really nice guy nice clean fishouses beware of his wife if you go there wow was she really unpleasant.

Just got back from Red. Four of us out of Westwind from Friday about 10 AM until Sunday 11 AM. Aweful bite. Spent Friday in 12 Feet about 2 miles out...not a single bite from Friday 10 AM until Saturday 9AM. 8 lines in whole time, not good.

Moved house on Saturday into 9 foot and caught 8 eyes and 1 crappie. Better, but still slow. Went out into 7 foot on foot for an hour and was lucky enough to land 33" pike on 4 lb test, ultra lite rod, with plain hook and fathead. That was a real treat.

Slow going out there for the great majority of people we spoke to.

Oh, when cleaning a 16 inch walleye I could not believe what I saw in the belly of this one fish. I kid you not as I counted 12 fatheads in this one walleye's belly. I've never seen more then 2 let a lone 12. WOW!

Good luck to all

Basically the same report here, we kept 3 walleyes the whole weekend, super slow bite, we did miss a few, threw back a few, caught 1 small pike that we released and had another decent one up to the ice we tried 3-4 different spots we were about 4-5 miles out on westwinds road.

Got back yesterday afternoon with 6 of us fishing out of Hillmans/Club Red. Got up there Thursday morning to find our rental in 12 feet of water. From Thursday morning to Friday morning we caught 2 eye’s and 2 perch. Put the camera down the whole on Thursday only to find beer cans/keg cups/different food. So Friday morning we made a call to Mr. Pat Foster and got the house moved. He put us about a mile away in 8 feet of water. From Friday afternoon to Sunday morning we caught about 60 walleyes and easily missed about the same. No northerns or crappies but an awesome walleye bite. Talking to Pat on Saturday we were very surprised to hear that none of his other houses were catching fish. We had a great time and would recommend Club Red to anyone.

Fished out of hillmans road in Jonny Ps house from noon friday untill 11am sat. kept 11 walleye, caught probably 25, biggest was 19.5". 2 pike. 1 crappie. Great time.

Thanks Jonny!

NDSUski,

When you got to the house was it obvious that it had been there awhile? I am going up next week to fish out of Club Red and have heard both good and bad things about Club Red. I don't have a camera and your post is the second one that I have heard where there was junk all over the bottom. Some people are such slobs. I would hate to have my trip ruined because of that. It is good to hear that Pat moved the house. In general the majority of the posts have been good about Club Red.

It was obvious that the house hadn’t been moved in awhile and he did grumble a little about moving a house on a Friday. Before you go up there give him a shout and get a verbal that he will move you if you aren’t catching fish. It also wouldn’t hurt to have a case of High Life handy for a bribe. One thing I would really recommend is to bring enough tip-ups for one per person in the house. If the tip-ups are greatly out fishing the house, there is probably [PoorWordUsage] on the bottom. It does really upset me that people use the lake as a garbage can but people also mistakenly drop thinks down the hole. I also think that items that put off a smell (decaying fish/food) will affect the fish much more then a can of beer or an ice scoop. Good luck, I had a blast and I am now a big Pat Foster fan.

Just got back from fishing with Bear Paw. Fished Sat noon to Mon noon, 9 FOW, 2 people 20 walleyes. Ended up with 4 nice keepers, everything else to big. With the exception of about 6 fish, everything was caught at night. Two thumbs up for Steve at Bear Paw!!!

Got up Friday about to URL around noonish and lines in the water right away. The bite was slow but the Premos were biting well. We fished Saturday and early Sunday morning. We ended with 11 eyes caught and 1 Perch. Had the camera down the whole time and not much down there. It was a good time out of Club Red and Pat has some very nice houses. I dont know if I should share this but I did get out fished by my better half and she has not let me hear the end of it, but I think I have her hooked on fishing now so I guess that is ok.

6 of us fished this past weekend out of Club Red. We had 2 houses that were about 70 yards apart. Pat moved one house close to the other earlier that day. The house that was moved caught 13 walleyes (9 keepers)most caught on a plain red hook. The other one that had been there for awhile did not catch any walleyes, just 9 perch. Someone probably threw junk down holes of that fish house.

Pat checked in with us a few times and gave us novice URL fishermen some good tips. He tried to tell us about the seals coming up the hole. I read earlier posts about that Pat Foster story before we came up so we let him roll with it for about 5 minutes. Thanks Pat for the great time!

went ouy on hilmans road this past weekend in my mind the bite picked up a little comapared to 2 weeks ago caught at least 25 eyes wow what nice weather was able to be mobile both saterday and sunday which produced most of the fish drill drill drill

I was up there over the weekend and we did alright between me and a buddy we caught 12 crappies and pry about 25-30 walleyes for the weekend. We had to put our time in but once we found them they were there!

fished monday 10AM to Tuesday 11AM in a minnow station sleeper. Probably had 3 fish by sunset, but had steady action from then until 4AM, when we actually pulled up the lines b/c the rattles kept us from sleeping. 3 guys 25 or so fish. Half of the fish were too large to keep, biggest was 22", no particular rig was more successful. small glow jigs/plain hooks w/crappie minnows and fatheads. I'd recommend jonny/kelly to anybody. Our house was out of site from any other houses and the fishing was good. Was my first trip to URL...We'll be back

was out thursday to friday. 5 crappies and 2 leagals. out from hillmans. also we are from milwaukee, wi. got stuck off roading a few times but got pulled out. how do i post pictures?

Just got back from a weekend trip. I can honestly say that I have almost no desire to go back to Red. From Friday night to Sunday morning with 5 people we caught 2 perch and 2 small walleyes. We rented a house from Agassiz, and when they say "custom built", they're not lying. The house was pretty crappy, and I'm convinced the only people that use it must be very drunk and abusive. The house also had mice (Trying to catch the mice kept us busier than fish). The house was over 9 miles from shore, and the road was terrible. It took 45 minutes to get to shore. I would think that rental houses would be placed closer to shore for convienience, but I guess not. For anyone thinking about going to Red, I would recommend that you bring ALOT of alcohol or you're going to be bored out of your mind.

There are defenetly bad places to rent from and also the good. West winds and Hilmans both have good roads. They probally had the houses placed out further to have a better chance at the famed crappie.

I just got back from red. We were out on agassiz road too. 4 guys. We got 19 keepers. 1 34 inch pike. Lost a complete monster at the hole. And we got one crappie. The best bite was last night around six o'clock, and between 930 and 11 we caught six keeper walleyes and the crappie on the rattle reels.

We were on Red lake from 11:00 a.m. on the 11th to noon on the 12th. Caught a total of 21 walleys, 4 crappies, 1 jumbo perch, and one small nort. 10 of the walleyes were keepers, 4 were over 17", 7 under 14" all were caught during the daylight hours not one bite durning the night.

100_4878-2.jpg

100_4885.jpg

100_4882.jpg

100_4881.jpg

100_4880.jpg

• The title was changed to 2020 - Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports (URL)